iPad purchase for P4
589 4 2016-12-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansb7444591
lvl.1

United States

Hello All,

I am looking to buy an Ipad due to phone screens being too small and I was wondering do I need to buy an iPad that has mobile connection or will the Wifi one do the job?
Also, if I do not need to buy one with the mobile connection, will i have an issues, I've read places that I would need to use wifi or data to connect to the GPS signal.

Also, will an IPad Mini fit in the standard clamp of the RC for the P4??

Thanks for reading
2016-12-13
Use props
fansaae00df2
lvl.1

United States

I use a iPad mini 3 with only wifi. Works good and fits in the remote clamp holder. It is 7.9 inches
2016-12-13
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

The GPS receiver is only fitted to the cellular models, not the WiFi only models. And GPS is not received via the Internet, it is a totally separate radio reception system. Yes, the Mini will fit in the clamp.
2016-12-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

The iPad Air2 Cellular, that's I use with my Phantom 3 Pro' as a dedicated device, has been stellar, incredibly wonderful for me, & never an issue, in over 11/2 years
Having a perfect Phantom, problem free, has obviously been a large part of that. It's only the iPad Cellular models which have the GPS module built in.
You don't need the cellular model to operate your drone, but there are several benefits to having the Cellular model, even if you don't buy a Cellular service.
You can change your dynamic home point, with a tap of the appropriate tab in the Go app. That's a nice feature, particularly if you are like me, & want to move around well flying.
The home point isn't <back there where you took off, when you lifted off the ground, and through the GPS in the drone, the Home Point was recorded, in the drone.
As well, the wonderful Follow Me autonomous flight option also requires you have the GPS module in your chosen device.
The only benefit, aside from caching maps on the go, of a Cellular network, is to Stream Live video to your Facebook account or YouTube channel.

Gives you a few things to consider and think about before deciding which device to purchase, and what size of screen you prefer.
Please report back which device model you choose and screen real-estate that was your decision? Thanks.

RedHotPoker
2016-12-13
Use props
Dflum
lvl.1

United States

Thank you for the insight RedHotPoker. I really appreciate it. Thinking about getting one of the Ipad Mini 2 or 4 with cellular, just not sure how much it will affect my phone bill.
2016-12-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules