Inspire 1 rubber damper issue!!
4024 9 2015-2-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
michael.videogu
New

Australia

Hi All, I discovered a major issue today with the Inspire 1 Quadcopter.  The rubber dampers on the bottom of the Inspire Quadcopter that support the gimbal and camera can fail, i.e. come out, when heavy landing or in flight as they did with the original phantom gimbal mounts, before DJI added a locking clip.
This has the potential for the whole camera and Gimbal assembly to fall and smash to the ground!

I would suggest that everyone use a few cable ties to make sure that the gimbal/camera assembly Is secure to the quadcopter base!

Dji needs to fix these Crazy oversights!!!

Damper Issue

Damper Issue
2015-2-11
Use props
Captain Obvious
lvl.4

Australia

Its only a 3K ~4K machine at this low price what we expect is not what you get. But really should be made a little bit better Still a nice machine
2015-2-11
Use props
inbox
lvl.1

Canada

Mine came out... how do I put it back in? Any tips? Thanks
2015-4-23
Use props
e350coupe
lvl.2

Canada

In fairness to DJI, it appears from your own picture you have impacted with something causing scuff and damage to the mount.  I see there is also a chunk out of the mount itself.  I do not think this can be expected to be normal conditions for this part of the unit.
2015-4-23
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

inbox Posted at 2015-4-24 05:28
Mine came out... how do I put it back in? Any tips? Thanks

They are essentially nothing more than soft rubber grommets.  I had two of them release after a hard landing.  They were easy enough to finesse back into place with thumb and forefinger.  If you go through the accessories you received with your I1, you should also find a pouch with some additional rubber dampers and a screwdriver blade with a key handle.  If necessary, you can use that blade to gently poke the edge of the damper through the hole, making certain not to apply so much pressure that you penetrate the grommet with the tool.  It's very much an issue of finesse rather than brute force.
2015-4-23
Use props
utroyalwulff
New

United States

mine came off.   I sent it in explaining what happened.  they wanted 249.00 to fix their engineering problem.  we will see how this ends. It happened on regular reasonable vertical acceleration fell right off and swung around and hit a blade causing it to fall out of the air and crash from about 7 feet.  it messed up the horizonal gimble.  this is my test for dji i own 5 dji products with the potential of buying for 8 universities and 400 students.  If its not straightened out we are going to 3D robotics.  
www.aerialpursuit.org
https://www.facebook.com/BATCDrones2015/
@aerialpursuit  
2015-12-3
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

utroyalwulff Posted at 2015-12-4 09:11
mine came off.   I sent it in explaining what happened.  they wanted 249.00 to fix their engineering ...

This is highly unusual. I've logged 250 flights under varying conditions, and this has never happened. I think the original poster had a very hard landing. When these occur on commercial jets, the undercarriage and tires can sustain damage and pilots are put on notice. Yes, if 3DR does a better job in your opinion, by all means go to them
2015-12-3
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

I ensure I have ensured against this by using braided line commonly used as backing line on fly fishing reels, its rated around 20lb breaking strain so I am fairly confident if the rubbers fails like original Phantoms by just threading some braid through the rubber seals and tying in a knot should the rubber fail nothing falls off the aircraft.  The line can easily be cut with nail clippers and done in the field also.  Its a better fix than using electrical zip ties as when zipping up these they pinch the rubber, which is not what you need.  
2015-12-5
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

that dumpers are very tight , but if you really worried about it, there is a simple way to ensure them, by throwing the zip tie trough
2015-12-6
Use props
P3T3
lvl.3
Flight distance : 701211 ft
  • >>>
United States

coming from a Yuneec Q500 and Blade 350 prior, they both used fishing line between the grommets as a failsafe. This allows the dampers to do their job without anything too solid to get in the way.
2015-12-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules