Raw Video storage?
1066 3 2016-12-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
richard56
lvl.3
Flight distance : 675869 ft
United States

How does everybody catalog their raw video storage?  My lightroom program will import the photos and videos, but not sure if that is the best way.  I download all my gopro videos in to the gopro studio program, but thinking of changing my workflow with Adobe Premiere.  Not sure if there is a real good work flow to store the raw videos.

thanks for any input.  
2016-12-13
Use props
CADDJockey
lvl.3
Flight distance : 163934 ft
United States

So far, I'm not terribly organized with my mavic shots other than one folder for each location/event.  Usually, I go by dates or events within a date range (i.e. by year) With my regular video, I use Prelude because it does a nice job of transferring AVCHD without transcoding and without losing any data.  But with the Mavic footage, in 4K at least, it is just easier to copy to my raw video archive.

I'd like to hear what others do also.
2016-12-13
Use props
13MStang
lvl.3
Flight distance : 892749 ft
United States

here is what i have:
Computer:  iMac
storage: 4TB external Hard Drive (then backed up to network drive)
GoPro  (I use its software called Quik to download media)
DSLR 5DM3 (I use Adobe Lightroom/photoshop)
Adobe Premiere CC

the GoPro and DSLR media are handled well with Quik and Lightroom so my workflow there is good.  For the DSLR, i remove the card from the camera and use a card reader.  I use Lightroom to import media, transferring the data to the external hard drive.  For the GoPro, i direct connect the device to the computer via USB and use Quik to import media and copy to external hard drive.  
Once i have transferred the media from the devices on to the external Hard drive, I format the cards.  I can use GoPro studio or Lightroom or Adobe Premiere, depending what i want to do.  Once a week, i have data from the hard drive backed up to network device.

I am still trying to develop a good workflow for the Mavic footage, but here is what i have been doing (so far).
When i get home, i remove the SD card from the drone and use a card reader.  This procedure is a bit cumbersome but its the only good option.  Connecting the device to the computer is not a good option for me because i would then have to turn the device on, which means having to remove the gimbal dome and clamp.  That is not efficient.
i then use iMacs "Finder" (equivalent to Windows Explorer) to copy the media from the SD card to the external hard drive.  I have created a folder called Mavic and in there, i organize by date.
Every time I go to fly, when i turn on the device and controller, the first thing i do is format the card.  This takes a bit to get used to doing, but it helps that the app displays a status screen whenever you start and in that status screen, if you scroll all the way to the bottom, it has the option to format the card.

once all media is on the external hard drive, i can use whatever editing software to create.   I currently use Adobe Premiere CC.

2016-12-14
Use props
richard56
lvl.3
Flight distance : 675869 ft
United States

I am glad to see I am not missing something obvious.  Right now my work flow is the same on my gopro and dslr.  The programs and computer are the same as well.  (just switched from Aperture a few weeks ago)  I use the SD card slot to transfer everything as well.  It is just faster and so easy to access.  Too bad there is not a great video catalog program similar to all the different photo programs that are out there.  Between DSL video, go pro video and mavic video i seem to be eating up 8TB of storage rather quickly.  
2016-12-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules