Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
How dangerous is flying in to the fog concerning the moisture on the bird ?
7882 25 2016-12-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans7738cee7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 842890 ft
Netherlands

I like flying and filming above the fog,you can make awesome pictures. But is it concerning the moisture dangerous for the drone ?

2016-12-14
Use props
Gil
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

I suppose that depends on a number of factors, density of the fog, indoor vs outdoor temperature, humidity, wind.  Heck, if you take it out into a cool, moist environment from a warm dry house your going to get condensation even if you don't fly.  

You could try to "pre-condition" the Phantom before you fly.  i.e. leave it outside in a box to stabilize to the outside temperature.  (And do the same when you bring it in)   But generally speaking, in light fog like in this video, the props will provide enough air movement to keep it free from significant moisture problems.

And, by the way, nice video!
2016-12-14
Use props
fans7738cee7
lvl.4
Netherlands

Thanks Gil for the tips
2016-12-14
Use props
fans7738cee7
lvl.4
Netherlands

Today I taped the ventilation holes and went in to the fog with my Mavic again whitout any troubles
2016-12-19
Use props
DSANCHEZ003!
lvl.2
United States

fans7738cee7 Posted at 2016-12-19 11:07
Today I taped the ventilation holes and went in to the fog with my Mavic again whitout any troubles

did ur mavic have moist? how is your mavic now after?
2017-7-19
Use props
Spyder3534
lvl.3
Flight distance : 32375 ft
United States

I flew my P4 through the fog one morning.  The lens developed moisture as I flew up, I kept pushing though the fog with the hope that when I got out my lens would clear.  When I finally saw the sun at 250' the lens didn't defog.  I ending up having to fly the drone blind down through the fog to land, not a fun experience as i was in a tree line on the edge of a river.  I descended carefully till I could make visual contact.  The drone was soaked on the outside with wetness so I dried it off immediately.  It was only a few min that it was in the fog so no harm done but if you flew for a while it might get into the internals. Cheers
2017-7-19
Use props
DSANCHEZ003!
lvl.2
United States

Spyder3534 Posted at 2017-7-19 14:20
I flew my P4 through the fog one morning.  The lens developed moisture as I flew up, I kept pushing though the fog with the hope that when I got out my lens would clear.  When I finally saw the sun at 250' the lens didn't defog.  I ending up having to fly the drone blind down through the fog to land, not a fun experience as i was in a tree line on the edge of a river.  I descended carefully till I could make visual contact.  The drone was soaked on the outside with wetness so I dried it off immediately.  It was only a few min that it was in the fog so no harm done but if you flew for a while it might get into the internals. Cheers

what if it goes to internal? what will happen to the next flights after returning successfully? does it will affect the flights?
2017-7-19
Use props
blackcrusader
lvl.4
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

The secret to that is to have your camera facing down till you clear the fog.  Some clouds have a lot more moisture than other clouds.   Pretty much all my droning is flying through fog and clouds.

Never been an issue even had a light rain on one return leg of a flight. I use the clouds to wash my props and clean my drone.

2017-7-19
Use props
blackcrusader
lvl.4
Taiwan

Of course it's always nice to get a KALAIDOSCOPE SUNSET

2017-7-19
Use props
blackcrusader
lvl.4
Taiwan

Here's to clearing 1200 feet of fog to break cloud cover and get some pics at over 10000 feet altitude.

2017-7-19
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4
Flight distance : 136686 ft

Australia

According to the Laws in the Netherlands it would seem that flying in fog is probably illegal as it would mean you do not have a clear view of the aircraft and the air around it. Seems there is also an altitude limit of 300 feet. This is from 2015, so things may have changed but I cannot find it if it has.
2017-7-19
Use props
Spyder3534
lvl.3
Flight distance : 32375 ft
United States

Wow beautiful shot Black Crusader!!!  
2017-7-20
Use props
blackcrusader
lvl.4
Taiwan

Spyder3534 Posted at 2017-7-20 05:25
Wow beautiful shot Black Crusader!!!

I am lucky that where I live we do not have restricted limits outside of controlled airspace and we can also fly over national parks.
2017-7-20
Use props
fans7738cee7
lvl.4
Netherlands

Thanks for the tips Blackcrusader
2017-9-4
Use props
Rigger73
lvl.4
Flight distance : 378478 ft
United Kingdom

Lovely shots in the clouds BlackCrusader.  Must be nice being able to fly without limits.
2017-9-5
Use props
fans7738cee7
lvl.4
Netherlands

Dsanchez003. I flew now in total 8 times through the fog and never had any problems what so ever with the drone.
2017-9-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

blackcrusader Posted at 2017-7-19 16:45
The secret to that is to have your camera facing down till you clear the fog.  Some clouds have a lot more moisture than other clouds.   Pretty much all my droning is flying through fog and clouds.

Never been an issue even had a light rain on one return leg of a flight. I use the clouds to wash my props and clean my drone.

I was hoping to hear from you, in this thread.

You probably have more experience flying through the clouds and fog as anyone here. ;-)

Always interesting for me, to watch your incredible videos. You certainly reach for the sky...

Hope you are in good health and high spirits.

RedHotPoker
2017-9-12
Use props
blackcrusader
lvl.4
Taiwan

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-9-12 09:58
I was hoping to hear from you, in this thread.

You probably have more experience flying through the clouds and fog as anyone here. ;-)

Thanks.  Yes cloud surfing is one of my drones hobbies.  Have been really busy with work atm so not flying as much.  
2017-9-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

blackcrusader Posted at 2017-9-12 11:17
Thanks.  Yes cloud surfing is one of my drones hobbies.  Have been really busy with work atm so not flying as much.

Yeah, I figured life must have happened for you.

You have not been posting much in recent days.

Looking up at the clouds, trying to find you.... Ha

RedHotPoker
2017-9-12
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1385223 ft
United States

Ooooooh, didn't think of that... We are just starting to enter fog season and I was planing on getting some footage... now I will be MUCH more cautious.... thanks for the heads up.

2017-9-12
Use props
blackcrusader
lvl.4
Taiwan

Rigger73 Posted at 2017-9-5 14:54
Lovely shots in the clouds BlackCrusader.  Must be nice being able to fly without limits.

Yes it has its advantages. Drone police on the forums are telling me how I am going to crash into a passing jet and kill 350 people lol They seem to not realize that any aircraft traveling up in my mountains at the speeds they fly at have crashed and burned already and I would be using my drone to locate the wreckage.

A hiking group had been to the top of my mountain peaks and been flying around. Can't see any aircraft in the jet streams lol.

2017-9-12
Use props
Rigger73
lvl.4
Flight distance : 378478 ft
United Kingdom

blackcrusader Posted at 2017-9-12 23:02
Yes it has its advantages. Drone police on the forums are telling me how I am going to crash into a passing jet and kill 350 people lol They seem to not realize that any aircraft traveling up in my mountains at the speeds they fly at have crashed and burned already and I would be using my drone to locate the wreckage.

A hiking group had been to the top of my mountain peaks and been flying around. Can't see any aircraft in the jet streams lol.

Yup - but different in the UK.  Our Royal Air Force fly low level in most parts of Scotland - 250Ft, or 75m.  Some parts are even as low as 100ft or 33m.  Not much at all.

Our UK Drone Code limits our altitude to 120m, 400Ft.  So there is still some chance that a drone could be struck by a fast jet at low level in certain parts of Scotland and Wales, if the operator wasn't observant.

Still, I can see the appeal of cloud surfing with the drone.
2017-9-13
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've flown up through low level fog and then strait back down and every time the quad is dry. Done this many times without issues...
2017-9-13
Use props
ANKO MG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 12372 ft
Spain

Y como hacéis para volver? Con el botón  de vuelta  a casa? Por que no se verá nada
2017-9-13
Use props
toomanyboats
lvl.1
United States

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-9-13 02:54
I've flown up through low level fog and then strait back down and every time the quad is dry. Done this many times without issues...

I was crossing my fingers and hoping you were correct...

I flew this morning - for about 15 minutes.  I kept the camera facing down during the ascent.  But just a little maneuvering in the area to get the shot (I was shooting stills at a marina) was enough to fog my lens, and when I brought the drone down, it was covered heavily with dew/condensation.  (I read an earlier post on this subject, and just to be safe, I brought the drone into my car an hour before I was set to leave (to acclimate it).  Well, you can see it was pretty covered in only a short flight...
Water and electronics don't mix, so this will be my first and last time flying in foggy weather.
2018-11-6
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

toomanyboats Posted at 11-6 10:40
I was crossing my fingers and hoping you were correct...

I flew this morning - for about 15 minutes.  I kept the camera facing down during the ascent.  But just a little maneuvering in the area to get the shot (I was shooting stills at a marina) was enough to fog my lens, and when I brought the drone down, it was covered heavily with dew/condensation.  (I read an earlier post on this subject, and just to be safe, I brought the drone into my car an hour before I was set to leave (to acclimate it).  Well, you can see it was pretty covered in only a short flight...

Sure you’re going to get a little condensation, you have to wipe it off and get back up there....
2018-11-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules