DJI Mavic Issues (Drifting, warm spot, possible funny sticks)
2215 18 2016-12-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
VoxUltrasonic
lvl.3
Flight distance : 328602 ft
Canada

After spending some time with my Mavic I've discovered some issues. I'm posting this to try and find out if these are defects or issues with my particular unit, or if these are just traits and limitations of the Mavic in general (firmware is up to date, and I attempted IMU/compass calibration to resolve to no effect):
Drifting Yaw
This is one of the main ones. I'm experiencing a slight rotation when I'm overing in a sticks neutral position. This is problematic when trying to shoot long-exposures (1-2 seconds), as the images come out blurry (yes I know about the tap-focus. My daytime/short exposure photos are in focus). Here are some videos I made recently to show the issue:

Some DNGs where the long exposure didn't work out (using 1-2 seconds):
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9yyd0 ... ZoHtMkiPDvjdqa?dl=0

(jpeg versions):
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xrmj9 ... 0l_e19z4gHHjja?dl=0

Warm spot in the center of frame on DNGs
I just noticed this one the other day. When shooting some trees from above (with a very consistent pattern/lighting), I was able to see a "warm" spot in the center of the photo. This warm spot wasn't present in the JPEGs, but quite prominent in the DNGs. I've uploaded some DNGs highlighting the issue, as well as JPEG exports of those DNGs if anyone can't view DNGs and wants to know what I'm talking about:

DNGs:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/eyypn ... 6NQjeYwC0321ma?dl=0

JPEGs:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/e4lfc ... htnq8fVhjGEssa?dl=0

Odd remote behavior when calibrating sticks
After scouring the forums, I read that some people had success in fixing drifting issues by calibrating the sticks on the remote. When entering the calibrating option, I get a 0%, 0% reading on the sticks. All normal so far. When I hit calibrate, the left stick "hovers" between 3% and 5% (meaning that it thinks it's being pushed 3%-5% to the right). When doing the calibration, I'm unable to get 100% left when I'm 100% down on the left stick, and I'm able to achieve 100% left on the left stick only when the elevator is neutral or near neutral. After the calibration is finished the sticks show 0%, 0% in neutral position again. Not sure if it's really an issue since post-calibration it seems to read accurately (it only shows odd behaviour as I'm calibrating). I can shoot a video of this tonight to illustrate what I mean if this is confusing.

I've been reading a lot of praise for the Mavic because of it's stability, comparing it to the Phantom (which I also have and find it to be quite stable), so this makes me wonder if it might just be my unit. Can anyone comment/help/shed some light on this?

Thanks everyone!
2016-12-14
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

This was the first time you tried calibration the sticks after you noticed the yaw?

2016-12-14
Use props
VoxUltrasonic
lvl.3
Canada

Nees Posted at 2016-12-15 12:18
This was the first time you tried calibration the sticks after you noticed the yaw?

Yes, I noticed it, read about my options, then calibrated. The videos are post-calibration
2016-12-14
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

VoxUltrasonic Posted at 2016-12-15 05:28
Yes, I noticed it, read about my options, then calibrated. The videos are post-calibration

Well, post-calibration, then it sucks... Open a case I would say.
2016-12-14
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Could you please clarify your current firmware version?9 Is the firmware up to date?
2016-12-15
Use props
VoxUltrasonic
lvl.3
Canada

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-15 00:07
Could you please clarify your current firmware version?9 Is the firmware up to date?

Firmware is on the latest (v01.03.0000)
2016-12-15
Use props
fans5b6f140d
lvl.1
Flight distance : 339724 ft
United States

I have the same warm spot issue.  I've been shooting snow/trees a lot recently and this is where it becomes most prominent. I've attached a few screen grabs from my footage.  Try looking at the pictures from a slight angle on your computer monitor to really see it.  
Center Screen .jpeg
Screengrab2.jpeg
2016-12-15
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

VoxUltrasonic Posted at 2016-12-16 00:21
Firmware is on the latest (v01.03.0000)

Thanks. Did you record a video of the controller's issue?
2016-12-16
Use props
VoxUltrasonic
lvl.3
Canada

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-16 16:39
Thanks. Did you record a video of the controller's issue?

I just recorded this one:

Notice how when I'm calibrating, the left stick hovers between 6%-8% to the right (a little more than before). Also at 0:55, you can see I'm unable to achieve 100%, 100% in the bottom-left.
2016-12-16
Use props
Heavysledz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 819491 ft
United States

It looks like after you hit the calibrate button at the end that it rezeroed correctly.....
2016-12-16
Use props
VoxUltrasonic
lvl.3
Canada

Heavysledz Posted at 2016-12-17 12:17
It looks like after you hit the calibrate button at the end that it rezeroed correctly.....

Just wanted to make sure it wasn't related to the mavic auto-yawing...
2016-12-16
Use props
Heavysledz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 819491 ft
United States

Have you testing it again since calibrating it?
2016-12-16
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

VoxUltrasonic Posted at 2016-12-16 19:01

Notice how when I'm calibrating, the left stick hovers between 6%-8% to the right (a little more than before). Also at 0:55, you can see I'm unable to achieve 100%, 100% in the bottom-left.

Left stick stayed at 3% after you calibrated it (about 1:21 in).  When you hit FINISH, it zeroed incorrectly, right?
2016-12-16
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

VoxUltrasonic Posted at 2016-12-17 11:01
https://youtu.be/DSqXVvXzQQs

I've confirmed with our engineers. You don't need to worry about it.
When you click the finish button, the value goes to 0%. That means calibration is successful.
As for the gimbal issue, please ensure you had removed all the stickers on gimbal.
2016-12-18
Use props
VoxUltrasonic
lvl.3
Canada

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-19 11:26
I've confirmed with our engineers. You don't need to worry about it.
When you click the finish button, the value goes to 0%. That means calibration is successful.
As for the gimbal issue, please ensure you had removed all the stickers on gimbal.

Thank you for confirming this for me! There has been a lot of snow in my area lately so I have not had a chance to test everything out after resetting to factory settings, ensuring latest firmware, calibrating the remote, IMU, compass, and gimbal. I will double check for any stickers.
2016-12-19
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

VoxUltrasonic Posted at 2016-12-20 14:03
Thank you for confirming this for me! There has been a lot of snow in my area lately so I have not had a chance to test everything out after resetting to factory settings, ensuring latest firmware, calibrating the remote, IMU, compass, and gimbal. I will double check for any stickers.

You are welcome. Please test more and let me know the update. :-)
2016-12-19
Use props
Andy LIS
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3358875 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I've got similar issues with the warm spot in the centre of the image, and the camera is drifting slowly for up to 45 seconds after a yaw movement of the aircraft.  I spoke to to the online support yesterday, who suggested downgrading the firmware, then upgrading to the latest again, before doing a full calibration (IMU, Gimbal, Compass).  I've done that last night, and the issue doesn't seem to have gone away....

Andy
2016-12-20
Use props
VoxUltrasonic
lvl.3
Canada

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-20 15:58
You are welcome. Please test more and let me know the update. :-)

In the meantime, is the warm spot in the centre of the photo normal for the Mavic? It seems a lot of folks are reporting this issue (I have included DNGs that illustrate the issue in my original post). I can take some more photos tomorrow - weather looks like it will be sunny in my area finally.
2016-12-20
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

VoxUltrasonic Posted at 2016-12-21 10:44
In the meantime, is the warm spot in the centre of the photo normal for the Mavic? It seems a lot of folks are reporting this issue (I have included DNGs that illustrate the issue in my original post). I can take some more photos tomorrow - weather looks like it will be sunny in my area finally.

As for this issue, you could try to set white balance to a high value when taking photos.
And it will be fixed in the later firmware.
2016-12-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules