p4p+ or p4p
3056 29 2016-12-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bluemarley67
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1242638 ft
United States

what are everyones thoughts on this which one should i go for? If i get the p4p+ can i link another device for a live screen? If i get the p4p could i upgrade controler for the built in

screen?

please help me with my decision!

thankyou all for the responces in advance!

Sincerly, Tim
2016-12-15
Use props
sunny051488
lvl.2
Flight distance : 183891 ft
United States

not sure about your first question but about the second one, you wont be able to later upgrade.
2016-12-15
Use props
RandyHat
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

"not sure about your first question but about the second one, you wont be able to later upgrade."

Really?  The P4P+ controller/monitor is sold separately. You couldn't upgrade the regular P4P controller but it seems like you could buy the controller/screen by itself and use it with the P4P
2016-12-15
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Tim,

You decision on which one to get depends on your patience.  If you are an eager and very well qualified flier with good eyes, you may want the P4 Pro+ (plus).  The only difference between the P4 Pro and the P4 Pro+ (plus) is the controller.  The Pro+ (plus) has the built in screen.  This makes it the least flexible in the future, but for the present there is not a better display and controller for the P4 Pro aircraft than the Pro+ (plus).  Until the CrystalSky device / displays come out, the Pro+ (plus) has everything you need for the P4 Pro experience.  But . . .

The built in HDMI module on the Pro+ (plus) is still only 720p, so the supported HDMI displays and USB Android devices will be just as good as the older P4.  Unfortunately, iOS USB devices will not allow the built in screen to work.  There is some sort of conflict.

However, buying the P4 Pro and using an nVidia Shield K1, or similar Android device (preferably an approved one) with HDMI out, will allow USB functionality and HDMI out at HD resolutions.  The nVidia Shield K1 is even prepped for 4K video.  This will hold you over until the CrystalSky monitors come out.  The CrystalSky 7.85" and 5.5" (like the P4 Pro+ ((plus)) 5.5" screen) displays will have the brightest displays you can buy for any DJI product.  The CrystalSky displays will also have HDMI at 1080p built into the display case.  (The Pro+ ((plus)) HDMI is built into the RC body.)  With open source Android code, DJI has built a custom device that works seamlessly with DJI products.  At this time, there is no plan to have the CrystalSky devices do email or any other app, just DJI software like DJI GO4.  So if you want to fly alternative waypoint programs like Litchi, you will have to use the P4 Pro with a tablet.

The P4 Pro will also support iOS devices if that is the type of device you have used in the past.  But, for HDMI HD out, the iOS device will have to have it built in.  If DJI does what it has in the past, iOS users may see a 1080p HDMI module that can replace the current USB module on the P4 Pro remote controller at some point in the future.

I know it is confusing but read it a few times and it starts to make sense.  Hell, I have had to read it a dozen times just to see if it does makes sense and I wrote it!  Getting the P4 Pro will allow a smoother transition for people with current DJI products that use existing technology, like their tablet, that want to upgrade.  You will be able to learn the new system until the CrystalSky device / displays come out.  Then it is a whole new world!

Do be aware that the newer DJI technology requires better tablets with better processors.  Old phones and tablets just cannot keep up.  There are all sorts of problems that the slower processors create as you can easily see on this Forum.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-12-15
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

RandyHat Posted at 2016-12-15 13:40
"not sure about your first question but about the second one, you wont be able to later upgrade."

Really?  The P4P+ controller/monitor is sold separately. You couldn't upgrade the regular P4P controller but it seems like you could buy the controller/screen by itself and use it with the P4P

Aloha Randy,

You are mostly right on the upgrade issue, but it is still a work in progress.  Originally, it was planned that if you bought a P4 Pro, you could upgrade it with the HDMI module for the P3P, P3A and P4.  But the real world stepped in and there were problems.  DJI is now working on solving those problems.

So, you are right for now, but keep an eye out because a solution is right around the corner.  Maybe the new DJI GO app and the firmware that recently came out solved the problem.  Meanwhile, I wrote a bit more on the subject that was posted just after your post (and above this one) if it interests you.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-12-15
Use props
bluemarley67
lvl.4
United States

Cetacean thank you for your input it is not and easy decision if you answer this question with a yes.... So, I will be working with Precision Hawk, they make an app for DJI drones will the p4p+ work with this certain app? If not-decision made.... (As for referring to the question nobody understood. if I get the p4p+ which has 5.5" screen could I link another phone or tablet to it to show friends, family, or customers live, without having to use social media live? hope that made more sense?
2016-12-16
Use props
fansc07d99b8
lvl.1

United States

@bluemarley67 no you cant.
2016-12-17
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

After you do all your research I'm sure you'll know which one to get.
I will tell you that the monitor brightness on the + is absolutely incredible.I took this from outside in 100% sunlight and with the sun directly facing the screen and I was amazed on how well you could still see the screen.
But if you go that route, you have that monitor permantely attached to the RC for it's entire lifetime.
Desisions decisions decisions
Screen Shot 2016-12-17 at 8.59.40 PM.png
2016-12-17
Use props
bluemarley67
lvl.4
United States

I ended up with 2 p4p both non + thankyou all for the help. biggest downfall on the p4p+ was not being able to use 3rd party apps
2017-1-3
Use props
BeamMeUpScotty
lvl.2
Flight distance : 20446 ft
United States

bluemarley67 Posted at 2017-1-3 14:08
I ended up with 2 p4p both non + thankyou all for the help. biggest downfall on the p4p+ was not being able to use 3rd party apps

That is a monster drawback.  I am struggling with that now but I thought I saw a post on how to use another device with the plus ie with a cable the screen blacks out.  Would love to find that post again.
2017-1-3
Use props
fans50c32a8d
lvl.2

United States

I have the + and I really regret it. Doesn't receive the same updates as Android. Can't use ANY 3rd party apps, meaning no Iitchi.

I would trade someone even my + for their non-plus.

2017-1-3
Use props
RoadmasterD
lvl.1
Flight distance : 188527 ft
United States

I purchased the P4P+ and it flies great, the controller has been very well behaved.  Also, the HDMI output works great but it duplicates the on screen display data.  If you turn off the OSD then it's off for the controller and the external display (someone correct me if they know a way to have one show OSD while the other does not).  Personally I like the OSD on the external display as I'm using Glyph headset for FPV.  I know some want a clean display for streaming.

I am considering buying a standard P4P remote so I can use my own device (iPad mini) for 3rd party apps.  Maybe we'll get lucky and DJI will loosen up on the plus controller to allow other apps.  I'll wait a few months though to see what shakes out.  It's too darn cold to do a lot of flying right now anyway.  One battery change and I'm ready to go back inside.

One option that would work is if DJI would allow the option of turning off the built-in android device and allow an alternate device via USB.
2017-1-3
Use props
bluemarley67
lvl.4
United States

man after these comments I am thrilled I made the choice I did. although I feel bad for you who aren't liking the p4p+
2017-1-4
Use props
PliciPleosc
lvl.2
Flight distance : 100226 ft
Romania

I faced the same decision, and as you chose non plus version and so happy I did so. 5.5" inches is way too small for me. Unfortunately I wait now for a replacement as I sent my unit back because of other issues.
2017-1-4
Use props
Fotch
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1161 ft
Canada

fans50c32a8d Posted at 2017-1-3 15:29
I have the + and I really regret it. Doesn't receive the same updates as Android. Can't use ANY 3rd party apps, meaning no Iitchi.

I 100% agree with this, It sounded like a great solution, but without DJI GS or 3rd party apps, this really cripples it for commercial use.
2017-1-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

fans50c32a8d Posted at 2017-1-3 15:29

I think they will have to sort that out sooner rather than later..
2017-1-4
Use props
Flyer001
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2710571 ft
  • >>>
United States

Good thread! I was deliberating on the P4P vs P4P+ and  this thread has swayed me towards the P4P.   

The other issue I see with the P4P+ over the P4P w/ phone or tablet is no bluetooth or headphone jack - so you can't keep your warnings and music to yourself.   

Presumably you also have to tether to your phone as a wifi hotspot in order to get map data for your location?
2017-1-4
Use props
bluemarley67
lvl.4
United States

I wondered the same thing about wifi? it will be nice to figure this out
2017-1-4
Use props
bluemarley67
lvl.4
United States

Flyer001-Do you fly and listen to music? I thought about it but was afraid to loose my drone due to interference do you have any issues with this?
2017-1-4
Use props
Flyer001
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

@bluemarley67 - I do with the Phantom 3 Advanced I currently own and have had no issues.
2017-1-4
Use props
Flyer001
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Another difference between the P4P and P4P+ seems to be the lack of an HDMI port?

Can anyone confirm the P4P does NOT have an HDMI output port?

Does the hdmi 'upgrade' kit work with the P4P?

Anyone used HDMI Fatsharks with the P4P or P4P?

-----
From the FAQ:  ( http://www.dji.com/phantom-4-pro/info#faq )

Video Output Port:
GL300E: HDMI
GL300F: USB

Mobile Device Holder:       
GL300E:Built-in display device (5.5 inch screen, 1920×1080, 1000 cd/m2, Android system, 4GB RAM+16GB ROM)
GL300F:Tablets and smart phones

2017-1-4
Use props
bluemarley67
lvl.4
United States

flyer 001 thankyou for the response I will try this on my p4p hope I can do this with a radio app as it is all I have
2017-1-4
Use props
bluemarley67
lvl.4
United States

the p4p does not have an hdmi port, although you can buy one and install it to your controller as an upgrade. dji does sell this.
2017-1-4
Use props
bluemarley67
lvl.4
United States

http://store.dji.com/category/phantom-4-accessories this is all of the accessories for the p4p all the way at the bottom in the middle is the hdmi port for $99.99
2017-1-4
Use props
Flyer001
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

@bluemarley67 Thanks for that info - I notice the accessory mentions 720p output - I wonder if the P4P+ output is 720p or 1080p?   That could sway my decision, otherwise, I'm leaning to the P4P instead of the +.
2017-1-4
Use props
bluemarley67
lvl.4
United States

ill find out I cant remember right off hand tho if I were you I would keep in mind that the p4p+ will not allow third party apps, it is unknow to us if it ever will
2017-1-4
Use props
bluemarley67
lvl.4
United States

so ive done some searching around, I will look in my manual, I will have to let you know tomorrow unless I hear otherwise.
2017-1-4
Use props
AlaskanTides
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1032293 ft
United States

bluemarley67 Posted at 2017-1-4 11:42
http://store.dji.com/category/phantom-4-accessories this is all of the accessories for the p4p all the way at the bottom in the middle is the hdmi port for $99.99

I made the same decision you did.... I got the P4P because I use the unit for photogrammetry. The new 20 MP Camera on the P4P was the only reason I upgraded, to begin with.

That's the same reason in the past that I bought an P3A as opposed to the P3P... The 12MP cameras were Identical... I don't really care about 4k video.

but If I cant Use 3rd part Apps like Maps Made Easy or Altizure.... It dosent do me much good..

On a side note however, now that we have DJI GS PRO..... you can bet they will be updating the Crystal Sky Display for it soon.  As the system becomes more fine tuned Ill just buy the P4P+ controller separately.
2017-1-4
Use props
bluemarley67
lvl.4
United States

io agree and I may even buy the p+ controller even though its about another $600ish.
2017-1-5
Use props
Daschpiel
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

Flyer001 Posted at 2017-1-4 11:47
@bluemarley67 Thanks for that info - I notice the accessory mentions 720p output - I wonder if the P4P+ output is 720p or 1080p?   That could sway my decision, otherwise, I'm leaning to the P4P instead of the +.

It is reported that the P4P+ HDMI output is in 720P
2017-1-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules