X5 camera video quality: The Conclusion ...
1527 4 2016-12-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dobmatt
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Let's get over it, once and forever. The issue - described in detail here (http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... D380%26typeid%3D380) and in numerous threads by others - finally reached rock hard bottom. As a result of my persistence and Mindy's efforts, DJI engineers stated that the artifacts visible in supplied 4K D-Log footage are "normal". Period.
Reading between lines, there's no way - nor attempts are considered - to get better quality 4K video from Zenmuse X5 camera due to the limitations of employed technology. What you see is what you've paid for. If one needs better quality, X5R is the answer. Case closed.

2016-12-15
Use props
MartinK
lvl.3
Flight distance : 68471 ft
Estonia

WOW.... they really want us to upgrade to the I2.  
2016-12-16
Use props
SimonMW
lvl.2
Flight distance : 361263 ft

United Kingdom

I'm still puzzled as to why they can't release a better X5 for the I1. The I2 is a huge leap in price to get a fully running system. So much so that it is a totally different category of product altogether. All the Inspire 1 needs is a camera that records a much higher bitrate. That is all. There are millions of I1 users around the world, and I do not see why they should be abandoned. A new camera would not impinge on I2 sales. It would just help out existing owners, and extend the life of the I1 line, which DJI still sell.
2016-12-16
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

I asked about the shutter in the X5S being electronic or mechanical.  The new X4S is mechanical which should alleviate the rolling shutter issues, but the more expensive X5S will still have them being non-mechanincal.

From what I read on the electronic ones, if I am to believe the online techs, you can select a speed of say 1/4000 sec. but that is the time the actual pixel is switched on and off.  The time it takes for the complete scan of the entire frame can take much longer, up to 1/10 second in some electronic shutters, and maybe only 1/60 in ones who can only cover 60 frames per second.  So it is sort of misleading saying 1/4000 while the actual frame scan is longer, but that's what it is and why the rolling shutter and bent moving things exist.  How much more of this effect will show up in the X5S is unknown.

Win one and lose one.  Dynamic range boost of the X5S is nice over the X4S with a gain of another stop, but a slow rolling shutter is ugh!
2016-12-16
Use props
Dobmatt
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

SimonMW Posted at 2016-12-16 18:56
I'm still puzzled as to why they can't release a better X5 for the I1. The I2 is a huge leap in price to get a fully running system. So much so that it is a totally different category of product altogether. All the Inspire 1 needs is a camera that records a much higher bitrate. That is all. There are millions of I1 users around the world, and I do not see why they should be abandoned. A new camera would not impinge on I2 sales. It would just help out existing owners, and extend the life of the I1 line, which DJI still sell.

They can, and they did: X5R. Apparently there's no way to squeeze more juice off X5 model because the video processing technology employed there will not deliver. Simple like that. Why they didn't use better technology since it was available at the time (i.e. Panasonic GH4 camera)? Is it possible to develop better video processing code? I don't know and any further speculations here about this issue are clueless and senseless, IMHO. It is what it is, live with that or invest in better equipment.
2016-12-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules