Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Night flying in the UK
555 10 2016-12-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Matt-and-Riley
First Officer
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

Can anyone point me to the section / article of ANO 2016 or other relevant law that prevents night flying. I just can't find any mention of it anywhere.

ps.. Please don't quote drone code, I need the actual legal document / statute.

2016-12-16
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
First Officer
United Kingdom

Sorry, ignore this, confirmed there is no law preventing it. Off to film the xmas lights
2016-12-16
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Matt-and-Riley Posted at 2016-12-17 01:57
Sorry, ignore this, confirmed there is no law preventing it. Off to film the xmas lights

Good to hear you were able to find what you needed. Hopefully you'll share some of the footage with us.
2016-12-16
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Matt-and-Riley Posted at 2016-12-16 17:57

I can't see anything specific, as long as you have full view of to aircraft to avoid any collisions, and watch out for congested areas

https://www.caa.co.uk/unmannedaircraft/
2016-12-16
Use props
DroneAlps
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2043307 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2016-12-16 19:49
I can't see anything specific, as long as you have full view of to aircraft to avoid any collisions, and watch out for congested areas

I would assume it is illegal since you are flying in VFR, which forbid night time flight
2016-12-16
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
First Officer
United Kingdom

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-12-16 19:21
Good to hear you were able to find what you needed. Hopefully you'll share some of the footage with us.

Will do, going for a day to night transition. Popped out this evening but it was quite misty and I could feel a little rain coming. During the day I can usually judge the rain by looking at the clouds but couldn't see them so decided against it.
2016-12-16
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
First Officer
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2016-12-16 19:49

A congested what

There's a big tree with lights on it right on the edge of the town, so I can fly in the empty field and keep my distances safe. I think that's probably the only rule I haven't broken yet, no flying over houses or people.
2016-12-16
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
First Officer
United Kingdom

DroneAlps Posted at 2016-12-16 20:14
I would assume it is illegal since you are flying in VFR, which forbid night time flight

First time I've heard of VFR, had to look it up. But don't think it applies, not seen it mentioned in ANO with reference to uavs. It was very misty and damp so I didn't do it tonight.

And to stay safe I have done a site survey in daylight hours, tested the route and heights, noted all potential obstacles, a guard on duty at the entrance to the field (my dog in a hiviz jacket), well lit landing and takeoff position, emergency landing zone marked with a light. For me, that is really safe!

What's that saying .... assumption is the mother of all f*** ups
2016-12-16
Use props
Nigel_
Captain
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Matt-and-Riley Posted at 2016-12-16 17:57

The problem with laws is that there are so many of them that it is not possible to confirm the absence of a law.

It wouldn't be surprising if there was a bylaw preventing powered flight in the area you want to fly, but it would be very difficult to check if there is or isn't, and even if there is it may not stand up to a challenge.

Thus, the best thing to do is follow the Drone Code, and although it is not law it is unlikely that anyone would successfully take you to court if you are following it, same as with the Highway Code.  It doesn't mention night flying so there is no problem, as long as you have adequate lighting to visually see your aircraft.
2016-12-16
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Matt-and-Riley Posted at 2016-12-17 04:21
Will do, going for a day to night transition. Popped out this evening but it was quite misty and I could feel a little rain coming. During the day I can usually judge the rain by looking at the clouds but couldn't see them so decided against it.

You're just that 'in tune' with nature!

Sounds like a neat plan, best of luck to you.
2016-12-16
Use props
DroneAlps
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2043307 ft
  • >>>
France

Matt-and-Riley Posted at 2016-12-16 21:36
First time I've heard of VFR, had to look it up. But don't think it applies, not seen it mentioned in ANO with reference to uavs. It was very misty and damp so I didn't do it tonight.

And to stay safe I have done a site survey in daylight hours, tested the route and heights, noted all potential obstacles, a guard on duty at the entrance to the field (my dog in a hiviz jacket), well lit landing and takeoff position, emergency landing zone marked with a light. For me, that is really safe!

You could be right, which is funny as it is definitely illegal for commercial operations at night without the specific authorization
2016-12-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules