Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Unboxing and first flight - as it happens...
772 5 2016-12-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BuzzCut
Second Officer

United States

Finally got around to unboxing my Mavic tonight.
Incredibly well packaged and presented.  In that respect it's like unboxing a flying iPhone.

Easy to connect everything up and see where everything goes.  The overall impression is of an abundance of quality, from the craft to the controller.

Charging both controller and battery were obvious and easy (clear statuses for each).

Connected iPhone, turned on DJI Go 4 and turned on controller and Mavic.  Activated and then it immediately asked me to upgrade firmware.

It downloaded and upgraded very quickly (maybe 2 minutes apiece) then it said there was a firmware mismatch.  In the DJI go app when I looked at the camera only the top 25% of the screen was showing the picture! the next 10% was multi-color pixelated, and the rest was blacked out.  There was a note at the top of the Go app that there was another new firmware version to download and upgrade????  01.03.0000

Oh, and three times through the process my iPhone 6 asked me to calibrate it's compass, and I had to tilt the screen and roll the ball around three separate times??  I repeat, my phone - not the Mavic compass calibration.

So, I downloaded that and upgraded again.  This time both the download and the upgrade took much longer.  About 10 minutes apiece.  Mavic continually turns its fan off and on again to keep it cool.  At the time of upgrade complete I have 74% Mavic battery left and 83% controller battery left.

The learning process continues...
2016-12-16
Use props
BuzzCut
Second Officer

United States

Next.  Went outside to calibrate compass on Mavic.  Did the 'dance'.  Horizontal worked, then vertical.  But... Vertical never finished.  I was walking round in circles but it never finished (or notified that it had finished).  It just kept showing the screen to calibrate vertically.  I couldn't hit the button to cancel calibration, so I killed the app.  When I started it again it put me back in the middle of calibration (presumably it's getting that from the craft) Somali had to turn off the Mavic, the controller, and the app.  That time it seemed to work, but there was so 'success' message.  It just gave me a warning that it couldn't fly and that the front sensors were blocked (presumably because the craft was now being held and pointed at the ground).  Green light on the butt of the Mavic appear to indicate that all is good.
Mavic now at 61% battery and controller at 71%.  Dying to fly it but signing up for Care Refresh first...
2016-12-16
Use props
BuzzCut
Second Officer

United States

Purchased Care Refresh.  Surprisingly quick and easy.  Just asked me for craft S/N and the gimbal part was blanked out...
2016-12-16
Use props
BuzzCut
Second Officer

United States

First flight completed.  In my unfinished basement, which has two very uniform pattern floors (bare concrete and a golf putting green).  VPS would not operate and an appropriate warning was given.

Well??

This thing is AMAZING!!!  Sure, it will drift a bit from the wash with no GPS and no VPS but it's so easy to control!!  I always thought I'd put it straight into tripod mode to slow the reactions (especially indoors) but it never crossed my mind because it was so easy to control.  I CANNOT WAIT to get this thing outside tomorrow.  Now, pride comes before a fall, so I'll have to give it a thorough shakedown and check there are no other issues... But.. In the meantime...

This thing is AWESOME!!!!!!

2016-12-16
Use props
BuzzCut
Second Officer

United States

OK.  Second flight in the basement and no less fun than the first.  I wanted to navigate tight-ish areas given the stability and responsiveness of the Mavic and the front obstacle avoidance kept kicking in.  I'm sure there's a way to disable it.  I tried tripod mode and it was excellent.  Silky smooth.  Slow enough to do some real precision flying but not so slow that I could react to - and counteract - any drifts due to wash.

One thing I did notice is that - after the low battery warning kicked it - it seemed to switch out of tripod mode automatically and switch back to its typical sporty self???  Took me by surprise as I wasn't expecting it, but it's so responsive either way that it wasn't going to cause a crash or anything.  Just had to reset my brain quickly.

That's it for the night.  Lasting impression is that this thing is pure quality.  I've explored 1% of its capabilities but it's certainly worth a thousand dollars.  Hopefully I'll have no lens issue... GPS issues... Whatever... Because I wouldn't want to have to be without this thing for too long.  It's so much fun!
2016-12-16
Use props
BuzzCut
Second Officer

United States

Light rain is keeping me inside (or in the garage) but I'm bowled over by how easy this is to fly.  Still camera is just fine.  Better than I expected.
IMG_4423.JPG
IMG_4424.JPG
2016-12-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules