Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Phantom 4 Pro Shutter problem
12Next >
7745 57 2016-12-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Felix_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26468445 ft
  • >>>
Hungary

I have exactly the same problem as in this video:

2016-12-17
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Yes, that should not happen, but I don't think that the multiple shot mode is not using the mechanical shutter. My feeling is the gimbal twitching is a fault on its own. It has been reported before by someone, and needs to be looked at.
2016-12-17
Use props
multirotorrd.co
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6176932 ft
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

I have this same problem with my phantom 4 pro.  I want to know if it is a firmware problem? Or someone else has the same problem in phantom 4 pro
2016-12-17
Use props
ucantstop
lvl.1
Flight distance : 836280 ft
Poland

Same on mine
2016-12-18
Use props
marctronixx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 210118 ft
  • >>>
United States

have you taken it out and flown it and taken still photos?

did you go outside have it hover and take stills?

if so can you see this phenomenon happened in those cases?

this may just be the nature of the physics of these things.

the drone is designed to be take photos whilst in flight,hovering, not necessarily sitting still on a table snapping photos.

sure its seen that the image "moves" once the photo is taken, but how does the finished capture look? is it faulty? is it blurry or anything? if not then why look for a problem if it doesn't exist?

not trying to take up for the company, just offering a different opinion/take on this.

2016-12-18
Use props
fans58b4a775
lvl.1
Flight distance : 756014 ft
Italy

2016-12-18
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

fans58b4a775 Posted at 2016-12-19 06:50
I have this problem, look at when I'm passing by the hand

What exactly are we expected to see in that clip, apart from a statue with rude bits?
2016-12-18
Use props
Felix_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26468445 ft
  • >>>
Hungary

marctronixx Posted at 2016-12-18 09:43
have you taken it out and flown it and taken still photos?

did you go outside have it hover and take stills?

For sure it is the same during the flight. Just the distance makes this movement even worst.
Like this i can not make any timelapse or hyperlape at al.

I've also noticed some random vibrations during video shot. (Not in high speed, not in windy conditions, with the latest fw. new machine, never crashed)

I am not not so happy with my p4p yet.

So DJI

Is it mechanical problem or can i fix it with a fw updade later?
2016-12-18
Use props
epicjib
First Officer
Flight distance : 3016060 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Felix_ Posted at 2016-12-19 07:48
For sure it is the same during the flight. Just the distance makes this movement even worst.
Like this i can not make any timelapse or hyperlape at al.

Same problem here...
2016-12-18
Use props
epicjib
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Same issues on my P4P, the gimbal twitches with almost every shutter press
2016-12-18
Use props
epicjib
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Geebax Posted at 2016-12-19 06:54
What exactly are we expected to see in that clip, apart from a statue with rude bits?

The glitch on the gimbal at 30 seconds in. It appears to happen in video mode as well.
2016-12-18
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

epicjib Posted at 2016-12-19 15:36
The glitch on the gimbal at 30 seconds in. It appears to happen in video mode as well.

OK, I see it now. Yes, it does look like an issue.
2016-12-18
Use props
multirotorrd.co
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6176932 ft
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

No solution, I feel frustrated, DJI has no answer
2016-12-19
Use props
SalvoLaBarbera
lvl.1
Flight distance : 756014 ft
Italy

Geebax Posted at 2016-12-18 23:54

if you look closely, you see a shot in the video
2016-12-19
Use props
Coffee
lvl.1

United States

multirotorrd.co Posted at 2016-12-19 01:13
No solution, I feel frustrated, DJI has no answer

Any news on this? I noticed it today while taking photos.
2016-12-21
Use props
Paranoid Jack
lvl.1

United States

I am in the same boat and starting to worry I may have to return this. I get jerky videos most of the time but not always. I was assuming it was a data write speed issue on the micro SD card but it's intermittent so I highly doubt it.
2016-12-21
Use props
Coffee
lvl.1

United States

Paranoid Jack Posted at 2016-12-21 20:18
I am in the same boat and starting to worry I may have to return this. I get jerky videos most of the time but not always. I was assuming it was a data write speed issue on the micro SD card but it's intermittent so I highly doubt it.

I would wait for firmware updates for a fix. Getting a replacement might just give you the same results. Unless you're getting a refund then go for it.
2016-12-23
Use props
fans50c6d272
lvl.4
Flight distance : 15252589 ft
  • >>>
Georgia

I have got the same issue. I noticed this problem from the first fly.
Seems it is related to Gimbal... After several photo shots Gimbal produces strange noise.  

Now I use Burst mode (for Photos) just to be sure shake is not ruining my photos
Very unhappy with Phantom 4 Pro !
Should I go to service? or is it software issue?
2016-12-24
Use props
JAFARINI
lvl.4
  • >>>
Georgia

I have recorded video of this problem.
Strange voice coming from gimbal (or camera) is at 0:31 and at 0:48

2016-12-24
Use props
ThaiFlyer
Second Officer
Thailand

I have had camera twitch, only on one flight in tripod mode recording video
2016-12-25
Use props
kykphantom
Captain
Flight distance : 5892388 ft
Cyprus

Exactly the same problems both with photos and videos. I hope that DJI will rectify these issues or offer full refund. It seems that P4P and DJI GO 4 app is under laboratory development yet, for which we have paid a lot of money!
2016-12-25
Use props
JAFARINI
lvl.4
  • >>>
Georgia

kykphantom Posted at 2016-12-25 18:10
Exactly the same problems both with photos and videos. I hope that DJI will rectify this issues or offer full refund. It seems that P4P and DJI GO 4 app is under laboratory development yet, for which we have paid a lot of money!

Indeed!

The worst thing is I bought it abroad and cannot return
2016-12-25
Use props
Ange1walk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 30305 ft
Austria

While it is an issue in itself definitely, a Shutter shouldn't make the camera twitch like that. The question is: Why does it bother you so much at this time?
I've taken long Exposure photos and it only twitches AFTER the photo is taken, so why does it matter?

Now, i'm not speaking for everyone of course, there are problems indeed nothing is perfect. But how come, it's always the people that take pictures of their Kitchen with a Drone, or always fly their Drone from their Back Yard have Signal problems etc etc...?

Edit: Basically what i'm trying to say is, if you have a problem with the Drone itself, get it in the Air, away from Interference and Population and show us your issue.
2016-12-25
Use props
JAFARINI
lvl.4
  • >>>
Georgia

Ange1walk Posted at 2016-12-25 22:53
While it is an issue in itself definitely, a Shutter shouldn't make the camera twitch like that. The question is: Why does it bother you so much at this time?
I've taken long Exposure photos and it only twitches AFTER the photo is taken, so why does it matter?

The only reason I switched to P4 pro from P3 is low light performance. and I paid 1700EUR in a drone that is 2 gen newer than my previous one and I got issues taking photos at night and you tell me why bothers that!?

I tried long exposures and the image is much worth then P3A bear in mind P4 stabilize while hover is much better than any P3

P4 Pro sensor is 1" and it should be significantly better image quality... what I noticed so far is just increase in Megapixels... and fps in video.

Auto focus is just another headache.
2016-12-26
Use props
TDW
New
Flight distance : 1528238 ft
United States

Has anyone found a fix for this yet? You can't use the time lapse feature they advertise with this problem.

Does anyone have one that does not do this? Meaning you've created a successful time lapse with your Phantom 4 Pro?
2016-12-29
Use props
AlaskanTides
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1032293 ft
United States

Darn

I'm supposed to get mine tomorrow...... I thought I had waited long enough to read reviews for any major malfunctions.  Looks like I didn't wait long enough.
2016-12-29
Use props
JAFARINI
lvl.4
  • >>>
Georgia

I have contacted DJI with description of the problem and also posted video of the issue.

That's what they answered: "Checking here, the unit should not be displaying that behavior as we suspect this could be an issue with the hardware. Unfortunately, there is no way for us to troubleshoot the shutter as this requires the whole camera being replaced."

I was hoping for software bug

2016-12-30
Use props
kykphantom
Captain
Flight distance : 5892388 ft
Cyprus

JAFARINI Posted at 2016-12-30 03:08
I have contacted DJI with description of the problem and also posted video of the issue.

That's what they answered: "Checking here, the unit should not be displaying that behavior as we suspect this could be an issue with the hardware. Unfortunately, there is no way for us to troubleshoot the shutter as this requires the whole camera being replaced."

Do they mean that in general all the P4Ps have a problem with hardware?
2017-1-1
Use props
JAFARINI
lvl.4
  • >>>
Georgia

kykphantom Posted at 2017-1-1 08:09

Not sure. I am not able to test another one.
2017-1-1
Use props
Seb
lvl.3
Flight distance : 659003 ft
Poland

I don't think it is shutter related problem, it's rather an effect of focusing. Try to switch to manual focus and check if the shakes still exists when taking photos.
2017-1-2
Use props
fans7e993402
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1159331 ft
United States

My P4P has the Gimbal Twitch after taking a photo problem too. For those who say it's a flown in the kitchen or sitting on a table problem. It most definitely is not. I first noticed this issue with taking a photo view with the horizon in the middle of my image. While mechanical shutter is enabled, the gimbal twitches and adjusts the horizon roll of the camera after EVERY shot. By a varying and variable amount. From slight to enough that a level horizon would now allow a ball to roll across it if it were a table and you lifted one side to turn it into a sloped surface.
To correct this problem on those photos all I have to due is turn off mechanical shutter in camera settings.
But the mechanical shutter was one of the so called "Improved and advanced features", so why then does having it enabled have to mess up the stability of the gimbal roll?
With mechanical shutter enabled I can only take 1 photo shot, then I have to Press/hold the C2 button and roll the right side scrolling wheel to readjust my horizon Gimbal roll.
Right there it tells us it is a Gimbal problem which is caused by the actuation of the mechanical shutter.
This shouldn't even be a problem, but it is.
2017-2-18
Use props
MrDave
lvl.1
United States

fans7e993402 Posted at 2017-2-18 23:06
My P4P has the Gimbal Twitch after taking a photo problem too. For those who say it's a flown in the kitchen or sitting on a table problem. It most definitely is not. I first noticed this issue with taking a photo view with the horizon in the middle of my image. While mechanical shutter is enabled, the gimbal twitches and adjusts the horizon roll of the camera after EVERY shot. By a varying and variable amount. From slight to enough that a level horizon would now allow a ball to roll across it if it were a table and you lifted one side to turn it into a sloped surface.
To correct this problem on those photos all I have to due is turn off mechanical shutter in camera settings.
But the mechanical shutter was one of the so called "Improved and advanced features", so why then does having it enabled have to mess up the stability of the gimbal roll?

I would like to recommend that everyone who can recreate this problem to open a support ticket with DJI. This way they may be more willing to address the problem in a firmware release.
I find it illogical that the hardware is to blame, unless for some strange reason a miniscule amount of current used by a mechanical shutter can cause an error to be perceived by higher current motors that run the gimbal. It really should be a firmware update. Don't send your drones in for a fix unless DJI definitively recalls them in for a hardware based repair. Disable the mechanical shutter for now and see how your pictures turn out.
2017-2-19
Use props
Sinisalo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1066804 ft
  • >>>
United States

MrDave Posted at 2017-2-19 12:21
I would like to recommend that everyone who can recreate this problem to open a support ticket with DJI. This way they may be more willing to address the problem in a firmware release.
I find it illogical that the hardware is to blame, unless for some strange reason a miniscule amount of current used by a mechanical shutter can cause an error to be perceived by higher current motors that run the gimbal. It really should be a firmware update. Don't send your drones in for a fix unless DJI definitively recalls them in for a hardware based repair. Disable the mechanical shutter for now and see how your pictures turn out.

yep, after trying to combine photos of a sunset into a timelapse i have contacted dji about this issue. They said it has to be sent in for repair.
2017-2-20
Use props
MrDave
lvl.1
United States

Sinisalo Posted at 2017-2-20 14:17
yep, after trying to combine photos of a sunset into a timelapse i have contacted dji about this issue. They said it has to be sent in for repair.

Funny the support ticket I turned in the service technician said the movement isn't something to be concerned with and that he'd pass the information along to an engineer. And then suggested aligning the Gimbal- LOL - obviously they don't take problems with their product seriously.
I call FOUL!
If my Nikon DSLR did that using a remote shutter activator while sitting locked on a tripod, you know damn well that they would take it as a serious problem !!!
2017-2-20
Use props
fans04d85753
lvl.1

Australia

Had Same problem turned off mechanical shutter in app and problem solved...
2017-2-22
Use props
Leecanning
lvl.1
Australia

JAFARINI Posted at 2016-12-24 15:57
I have recorded video of this problem.
Strange voice coming from gimbal (or camera) is at 0:31 and at 0:48

hi,  my cam does exactly the same noise as Jafarinis video, but it goes even longer, the whole gimbal is vibrating when it makes that noise. only does it when mech shutter is turned on though.  i am not sure of the benefit of the mech shutter
2017-2-23
Use props
MrDave
lvl.1
United States

Todays firmware release added the ability to "Lock Gimbal" into it's current position. This may be what DJI considers the solution for the Gimbal Twitch problem. I too received tech support response to return my Phantom 4 Pro for service, but from reading other forums where one guy saw that a firmware release once fixed his problem but it was issued the day after he sent his bird in for repair... well I decided to wait a little bit.

So just moments ago my firmware just finished updating, so I am going to go see where this "Gimbal Lock" option shows up in DJI Go 4.
2017-3-7
Use props
MrDave
lvl.1
United States

Well, "Lock Gimbal while capture" doesn't help this problem.
I have the bird and remote's firmware updated, DJI Go 4 updated, IMU calibrated, Compass calibrated, Gimbal calibrated.

Basically, the "Lock Gimbal while Capture" option is on the same camera setup page as the mechanical shutter option. However, it doesn't appear to do anything.
Enabled or disabled with mechanical shutter enabled taking a photo always glitches the gimbal to twitch in a roll of the horizon.
And while "Capturing Video" the mechanical shutter is disabled by default when using the shutter button on the remote control, anyhow, so that is not what this option does0.

So what does "Lock Gimbal while Capture" do, then?
I don't know. I've tried everyway of seeing I'm my gimbal is in any way "locked" and it's not. The Gimbal tilt wheel still functions, the gimbal auto corrects for horizon roll, nothing appears to be affected by this new option. It sounded like it was going to lock the Gimbal and correct the gimbal twitch generated by the mechanical shutter, but it doesn't.

The question is, what is this new option for, and why does it come "enabled ON"  by default.

Looks like I will be requesting the RMA soon to send my bird in for whatever repair that they think it needs. Which scares me, because other than that one problem, my bird is awesome and I don't want refurbished parts or a refurbished bird sent to me and still have the same problem.
I'm still going to hold off, I still am under warranty, and I have the DJI Care Refresh option.
2017-3-7
Use props
JAFARINI
lvl.4
  • >>>
Georgia

MrDave Posted at 2017-3-7 19:02
Well, "Lock Gimbal while capture" doesn't help this problem.
I have the bird and remote's firmware updated, DJI Go 4 updated, IMU calibrated, Compass calibrated, Gimbal calibrated.

Thanks MrDave for your comments.
I was looking for what "Gimbal lock" does but could not found anything.
I also tried to enable mechanical shutter but this gimbal movement still exists in new firmware.
Same situation here I don't want to send it for RMA and in my situation Disabling Mechanical Shutter helps a lot.
I don't see any reason to use mechanical shutter.
2017-3-9
Use props
Maxxgold
lvl.3
Flight distance : 19157 ft
United States

kykphantom Posted at 2017-1-1 08:09

My P4P doesn't have his issue, so I would say no. If mine behaved this way I would return it   Like I always tell people, buy from Amazon, so you get to test out the product for 30 days, and you can return it if there is a problem.
2017-3-9
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules