Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Inspire 1 Motor much stiffer than the other 3.. Cause for concern?
3025 14 2015-2-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
metterz.hotmail
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3879088 ft
United Kingdom

Hi, we have had a very smooth ride so far and have not experienced any of the problems that everyone has been talking about with both the inspire and the beta app and. Ow the approved iOS app.  We have however noticed that the front right motor on 1 of our inspires seems to be much stiffer than the other 3. It has not been crashed or had any after market props on it so we can see no reason as to why this may have occurred...... Any thoughts greatly appreciated please!?

2015-2-12
Use props
rodger
Captain
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

How much have you used the Inspire? What I did with mine and my Phantoms was to let them run with no props and move the sticks around on the Controller to break in the motors bearings. Other than that it is possible that you have a bad motor? Does the stiff motor affect the way it flies?
2015-2-12
Use props
metterz.hotmail
lvl.1
United Kingdom

The inspire in question has had 8.40 hours flight time and covered 51,000 feet so far. No it doesn't seem to affect it flying however we would like to know if anyone has had experiences with and Dji motors just seizing up ?
2015-2-13
Use props
Colonel Angus
Second Officer

United States

rodger Posted at 2015-2-13 02:52
How much have you used the Inspire? What I did with mine and my Phantoms was to let them run with no ...

Great advice I instinctively did the same thing when I cycled the battery that came with the craft.
To the OP no issues here actually your post prompted me to inspect the craft immediately.
2015-2-13
Use props
rodger
Captain
  • >>>
United States

metterz.hotmail Posted at 2015-2-13 16:04
The inspire in question has had 8.40 hours flight time and covered 51,000 feet so far. No it doesn't ...

Eight hours should be more than enough. The more that I use my Phantoms the smoother they become as the Bearings settle in. My Inspire even before running it I checked the feel of the motors by turning them by hand and they all feel the same, a little bumpy but turn smoothly. The bumpy feeling comes from the bearings because they aren't settled in yet. As far as any seize ups I have not heard of any. You may want to see what DJI has to say about your situation.
2015-2-13
Use props
Captain Obvious
Second Officer

Australia

The bumpy feeling comes from the bearings because they aren't settled in yet.

Huh? I think you'll find it's from the Magnetic Repulsion off each *stator* (internal parts of a electric motor) as you rotate it by hand...It's Like swiping
two magnets past each other when you make them repulse each other you feel the bump

(Just briefly) explained....
2015-2-13
Use props
daver/m
Second Officer
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

rodger Posted at 2015-2-13 21:31
Eight hours should be more than enough. The more that I use my Phantoms the smoother they become a ...

Bumpy bearings ? That bumpy feel when you spin the motors by hand is magnetic energy , One  of my phantom 2 motors seemed to be more magnetic for some reason but didn't seem to spool up any differnt than the others , although if you've had a tip over or bad landing and abrupt motor stoppage you could damage an esc or motor itself .... visually noticeable next time you run up the motors .
2015-2-13
Use props
rodger
Captain
  • >>>
United States

daver/m Posted at 2015-2-14 01:30
Bumpy bearings ? That bumpy feel when you spin the motors by hand is magnetic energy , One  of my  ...

Guess I made a Boo Boo
I still run a new motor for a while to let them settle in.
2015-2-13
Use props
daver/m
Second Officer
United States

rodger Posted at 2015-2-14 05:41
Guess I made a Boo Boo
I still run a new motor for a while to let them settle in.

That seems like a good idea running in the bearings too I'd say ..
I never did understand why one of my phantom motors had stronger magnetics than the other three ?
As far as boo boos boy I've made many myself ! Oh well then ...
2015-2-14
Use props
rodger
Captain
  • >>>
United States

daver/m Posted at 2015-2-15 09:26
That seems like a good idea running in the bearings too I'd say ..
I never did understand why one ...

All part of the learning process. Many people take offense at comments. I will never be part of a flaming contest. There never is any winner and very immature.
2015-2-15
Use props
daver/m
Second Officer
United States

rodger Posted at 2015-2-15 22:01
All part of the learning process. Many people take offense at comments. I will never be part of a  ...

10-4 that, help not hurt ..
2015-2-15
Use props
benhirsh01.gmai
New

United States

My right rear motor has stopped spinning at full speed after 5 flights....dji does not respond. How can I get a replacement?
2015-2-16
Use props
SKYLENSAERIALIM
lvl.1
United Kingdom

To update on our original post the motor in question now make a horrific noise and now has a slight wobble when powered up. We heard the noise mid flight and managed to land safely however with some serious vibration. I have spoken to the dealer who we bought them from and he will be getting back to me next week.

We regularly blow out the motors with compressed air to ensure no dust or other foreign object have found there way in. We have not crashed this inspire and are still using the original Propellers. Total flight time is now up to 14.30 hours.

We have another inspire with similar hours and no problems so far.
2015-2-27
Use props
neal.b
New

Canada

SKYLENSAERIALIM Posted at 2015-2-27 21:04
To update on our original post the motor in question now make a horrific noise and now has a slight  ...

I had thought that it was odd that my inspire seemed to be skewed when flying, but today i realized that it was the same corner as the motor that seemed to "stick" when twirling on the propellors.

What was your resolution?
2015-3-28
Use props
SKYLENSAERIALIM
lvl.1
United Kingdom

we found the bearings to be completley shot, We are still awaiting for replacement motor to be fitted. The dealer who we bought the unit off could not help and dji service centre in germany will not answer phone or respond to emails.

Tahoe_ed can you help?  You can see from the original post this has been going on a long time now.
2015-6-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules