Crazy, it let you get that close.

I couldn't believe it either!
2016-12-17
Use props
Weyland_Yutani
lvl.1
Flight distance : 32323 ft
United Kingdom

I suspect the deer didn't perceive it as a threat due to the drone being much smaller than it is, also it looks like it's fairly close to houses so it's maybe not as easily spooked as a deer in the wilderness. Really cool video though, as I doubt it would have let a person with a camera get so close.

I was landing my drone and decided to do some low level flying around my garden and I spotted a domestic cat stalking it and building up for an attack, was pretty shocked that a cat would be so brazen considering the noise from the drone and the fact the cat wasn't much bigger than it. I opted to land it quickly to avoid the cat injuring itself on the props.
2016-12-18
Use props
Ciro Italy
lvl.3

United States

Beautiful,  but.....install prop guards on your drone and do'nt go as close to animals.
2016-12-18
Use props
Geodav
New

Australia

Congratulations, a wonderful video!   I must try it with our Australian version of the deer: the kangaroo.  Many live in a paddock not far from here. But I will not get too low - some roos are aggressive!
2016-12-19
Use props
Leaptear
lvl.1

Netherlands

Ciro Italy Posted at 2016-12-18 10:25
Beautiful,  but.....install prop guards on your drone and do'nt go as close to animals.

That is the worst advice you could give someone is to install prop-guards, They are absolutely the worst nightmare and can cause flips easily, Prop Guards are only useful when flying indoors or flying in a confined space INSIDE.
2016-12-19
Use props
Ciro Italy
lvl.3

United States

Leaptear Posted at 2016-12-19 14:44
That is the worst advice you could give someone is to install prop-guards, They are absolutely the worst nightmare and can cause flips easily, Prop Guards are only useful when flying indoors or flying in a confined space INSIDE.

Sure,   so do this now:   start your aircraft, now touch the prop  with one of fingers close, close, more ,more
2016-12-19
Use props
MerlinL14
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2858 ft
United Kingdom

I'm in the same school of thought as Ciro, prop guards can not only save injury to an animal or humans you get too close to, but also save the props if concentrating that hard on the video footage you forget about low lying branches etc. I have the snap on/off guards and use them when ever I fly close to people, trees or animals (if I ever get the opportunity like this deer). If your prop guards are causing your P3S to flip over then you are the problem not the guards, or is your observation just hearsay and you have never fitted or flown with them?
2016-12-20
Use props
CCrew
lvl.3
Flight distance : 41568 ft
United States

MerlinL14 Posted at 2016-12-20 17:59
I'm in the same school of thought as Ciro, prop guards can not only save injury to an animal or humans you get too close to, but also save the props if concentrating that hard on the video footage you forget about low lying branches etc. I have the snap on/off guards and use them when ever I fly close to people, trees or animals (if I ever get the opportunity like this deer). If your prop guards are causing your P3S to flip over then you are the problem not the guards, or is your observation just hearsay and you have never fitted or flown with them?

I own them an have flown with them. I wouldn't use them except indoors either. I have to agree with him.

They make the bird much more susceptible to wind drift, add weight therefore reducing flight time,  and  if you  need them because you might stick your fingers in the props I advise to A: Be more careful, or B: Take up another hobby.

I'll add that it's also not unheard of to catch a prop guard on a descent therefore hanging the bird or driving the guard into the prop anyway.
2016-12-20
Use props
bluemarley67
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1242638 ft
United States

Geodav Posted at 2016-12-19 06:56
Congratulations, a wonderful video!   I must try it with our Australian version of the deer: the kangaroo.  Many live in a paddock not far from here. But I will not get too low - some roos are aggressive!

a kangaroo will punch it! that would be a really cool video to have 2 drones to catch the action!
2016-12-20
Use props
Ethanflux
lvl.2
Flight distance : 450190 ft
  • >>>
United States

trance728- Posted at 2016-12-17 18:35
Crazy, it let you get that close.

He wet it down with deer urine first.    But seriously, that is cool.  Good job on the vid!
2016-12-20
Use props
MerlinL14
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2858 ft
United Kingdom

CCrew Posted at 2016-12-20 15:41
I own them an have flown with them. I wouldn't use them except indoors either. I have to agree with him.

They make the bird much more susceptible to wind drift, add weight therefore reducing flight time,  and  if you  need them because you might stick your fingers in the props I advise to A: Be more careful, or B: Take up another hobby.

As you have chosen to use a quote from my post then I must ask you in your response; how many times did I mention fingers in the prop? Using my post as an analogy for your response is wasted as it has no reflection to what I wrote.
Yes the guards do add weight, you may notice maybe 2 mins less flight time if you chose to fit them when flying in close. They do not cause wind drift as the GPS holds the craft where you put it, the firmware has to work a bit harder but there is no wind drift unless you are flying in high wind which even without guards would be susceptible. The safety of guards when flying in close and when close to people/animals far outweighs any loss in flight time.
2016-12-21
Use props
fans26a1ba1b
lvl.1

United States

The deer in my yard wouldn't put up with a drone in the vacinity
2017-1-10
Use props
pjhudson
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4820 ft
United States

awesome vid.
2017-1-11
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

It's pretty neat that the deer was pretty chill about the drone. Getting near animals doesn't tend to bode well.
2017-1-11
Use props
Makokiller
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1115095 ft
United States

If you could only mount a shotgun on the front.
2017-1-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules