Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Loss of RC Signal = Loss of Mavic Pro
12Next >
25898 57 2016-12-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DigiMav
lvl.1
United States

So unfortunately today I have joined the legion of doom when it comes to lost Mavic Pros. Since owning this bird I've been extremely apprehensive about flying her as I have my Phantom 4. With all the flyaway and whirlybird issues reported I really have had an extremely hard time flying this quad with the same level of confidence as I've had with my P4. I've gone through the loss of signal with the DJI app and the RC with the bird less than a couple hundred yards from me. I took this all in stride and used patience in waiting for updates to the firmware to hopefully alleviate this issue. When the new firmware update v.1.03.000 came out early December I applied it with the same sort of skepticism as the others and carefully evaluated it against all of my previous issues looking for resolutions. I was surprised to find after 4 consistent flights that most of my reservations appeared to be resolved. Including the annoying loss of signal from the RC to aircraft. So I decided to fly my month old bird on a simple standard flight I had always done with my P4 and take a flight from a hilltop overlooking our small town towards the outskirts and take a few pictures of the sunset through that perpective. Flight was about a mile away with full line of sight of the Mavic, according to telemetry I had full bars on everything as far as radios were concerned and 58% battery. I started to line up for the shot and I got loss of signal to the RC and never recovered after that. I had previously set the loss of signal action to Hover in Place instead of RTH because I had read others having issues with this. Looking from the hilltop I could still see the aircraft lights blinking so I tried to reaquire by moving around my local area with no success. I even rebooted the RC. So my friend and I jumped in his truck and headed in town towards the Mavic to try and reaquire signal. It was only a mile away as a crow flies. Needless to say the radio never re-connected and my bird disappeared from sight. The physical search of the last known coordinates has been fruitless and I'm looking for help to find my lost bird. I remember reading about a super genius flight log decipherer on this forum who might be able to help me if I can get my logs uploaded to him. Does anyone know of this wizard and how I can contact him. Otherwise I'm left to the DJI gods to hopefully alleviate my pain. I do have Care Refresh so I pray this will help. I humbly ask all on this great forum for assistance!!

May The Force Be With You,

Vin Zen

2016-12-17
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm sorry that you lost your aircraft.
If you are flying a mile away, the RTH should definitely not been set to hover. That is just asking for a loss of aircraft. Especially since you are overflying a city with tons of interference.
So you r experience was not a fly away, but improper setting of RTH.
Setting the RTH to hover should only be used if you are flying under something that the normal RTH would ascend and hit whatever covering was over it.
What is your email and I will review your flight, but it seems the Mavic did what it was supposed to do.
Proper orientation will give you the best signal strength, here is a video showing the proper way to do it.

2016-12-17
Use props
DigiMav
lvl.1
United States

Ken thanks for checking on this. I set the hover action on los because many users had complained of issues with the aircraft acting erratically due to this. The aircraft never reconnected with the RC after i moved significantly closer to it. The period from los to moving within aircrafts flight area was less than 5 mins. I had sight of the Mavic in the air until I had to move to require signal.
2016-12-17
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

DigiMav Posted at 2016-12-17 23:52
Ken thanks for checking on this. I set the hover action on los because many users had complained of issues with the aircraft acting erratically due to this. The aircraft never reconnected with the RC after i moved significantly closer to it. The period from los to moving within aircrafts flight area was less than 5 mins. I had sight of the Mavic in the air until I had to move to require signal.

If you can lead me to where many users have complained with erratic flight during RTH, I would like to research their concerns.
What is your email and I will review your flight.
2016-12-17
Use props
Heavysledz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 819491 ft
United States

Sorry to hear about your lost Mavic..... it sounds like where the Mavic flew it crossed into an area with high signal interference which is why you couldn't reconnect.....I know it doesn't help you out now, but as Ken stated, you should use RTH for situations just like this. However, could you confirm it was hovering when you saw it last? if so, it may have initiated an auto landing when the battery hit the critical level and could just be sitting on top of something, Maybe a roof of a building or something you can't see from street level.

You said you have a P4....you might want to fly it over in the general area during the day and see if you can locate it from a birds eye view...good luck with your search

2016-12-17
Use props
DigiMav
lvl.1
United States

Thanks Heavysledz. I concur with your assessment that it probably initiated an auto landing after battery levels reached less than 10%. As far as interference I'm not so sure. I've flown my P4 in that area multiple times without any issue whatsoever. I will search heavily tomorrow with the help of friends who also have DJI products. I sold my P4 to a friend yesterday when I was convinced my Mavic was solid. The loss of signal with the RC to aircraft has been a known issue with this craft since the beginning. There have been numerous complaints of this issue! Does anyone know the guy on this forum who was pretty much a guru on log analysis to determine the location of downed aircraft. I remember he helped find one on top of a building. I'd really like to talk with him to help me find my bird otherwise I'll go through DJI for a replacement through Refresh. I did nothing outside of the parameters of this aircraft.
2016-12-17
Use props
Harbourside
Captain
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

I don't want to upset you, but I thought DJI Care only works if you send the Mavic in for repair, no Mavic, no refresh, sorry...
The flight logs on your phone should show the last point of contact on the map, that would be a good place to start.
Hope you find it...
2016-12-18
Use props
z4k4tt4ck
lvl.4
Flight distance : 535 ft
Australia

DigiMav Posted at 2016-12-18 14:40
Thanks Heavysledz. I concur with your assessment that it probably initiated an auto landing after battery levels reached less than 10%. As far as interference I'm not so sure. I've flown my P4 in that area multiple times without any issue whatsoever. I will search heavily tomorrow with the help of friends who also have DJI products. I sold my P4 to a friend yesterday when I was convinced my Mavic was solid. The loss of signal with the RC to aircraft has been a known issue with this craft since the beginning. There have been numerous complaints of this issue! Does anyone know the guy on this forum who was pretty much a guru on log analysis to determine the location of downed aircraft. I remember he helped find one on top of a building. I'd really like to talk with him to help me find my bird otherwise I'll go through DJI for a replacement through Refresh. I did nothing outside of the parameters of this aircraft.

Dji wont replace your drone obviously. The drone lost signal and reacted how you told it to ...whats the problem ? All rc vehicles lose connection in certain conditions ... Lucky the mavic can return home .... Unless you turn that function off ofcourse.
2016-12-18
Use props
MacIak
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3419 ft
Netherlands

Losing RC is simpy not acceptable, not ever. LOS with just 1 mile for a device able to tackle  4.3 os so? Should be solid giving control to the pilot.
On the RTH i totally agree, with long range flights in the open should NOT be set to hover.
2016-12-18
Use props
thehippoz
Captain
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Also could be a simple hack. I could bring down any drone in the 2.4 ghz freq using a home made yagi. Of course I wouldn't but in the hacking community- there are many who will. Look for houses around that spot it went down and knock on the door. If a bucktooth shows up at the door, ask him about the drone and discern. Actually dji could probably help. If order from that area been placed for a controller, it's possible that's your drone.

You should etch your FFA permit number on your drone and battery, on the inside. I'm not sure if that would void the refresh. Didn't buy.
2016-12-18
Use props
dotfiles
lvl.4

United States

MacIak Posted at 2016-12-19 00:53
Losing RC is simpy not acceptable, not ever. LOS with just 1 mile for a device able to tackle  4.3 os so? Should be solid giving control to the pilot.
On the RTH i totally agree, with long range flights in the open should NOT be set to hover.

The AC could have flown over an area of heavy interference. This seems like it was the case since the OP couldn't reconnect as he moved closer to the drone. In this case RTH would have brought the AC out of the interference and the RC would have reconnected.
2016-12-18
Use props
DigiMav
lvl.1
United States

Well I have great news to report. I found her parked in someones driveway without a scratch on her. She was just a little frosty from the overnight stay outdoors.  After reviewing the flight logs I found her within 50 yards of the last reported location. It had auto-landed. Lesson learned for me but I'm still curious as to why I had such a lengthy LOS. The flight logs show it switched into ATTI mode multiple times, satellite positioning errors and it definitely didnt hover in place. It looks to have took off in a south westerly track on its own. Thanks for all the input guys. I need to be a little more diligent with my pre-checks and flight plan.
Drone1.jpg
Drone2.jpg
2016-12-18
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
First Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

DigiMav Posted at 2016-12-18 09:26
Well I have great news to report. I found her parked in someones driveway without a scratch on her. She was just a little frosty from the overnight stay outdoors.  After reviewing the flight logs I found her within 50 yards of the last reported location. It had auto-landed. Lesson learned for me but I'm still curious as to why I had such a lengthy LOS. The flight logs show it switched into ATTI mode multiple times, satellite positioning errors and it definitely didnt hover in place. It looks to have took off in a south westerly track on its own. Thanks for all the input guys. I need to be a little more diligent with my pre-checks and flight plan.

OMG, that's awesome!  

Amazing it A) didn't get ran over  B) stolen  C) was found.  
2016-12-18
Use props
Flybee
Captain
Flight distance : 2203983 ft
Sweden

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2016-12-18 18:36
OMG, that's awesome!  

I'm happy for you. Sometimes we are lucky
2016-12-18
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am certainly happy you found your Mavic. I feel that even though you did not have your Mavic set to RTH, I would return it to DJI for repair and evaluation just in case..... If you have not considered it already.

This way you will have the answers you seek and confidence to fly the Mavic again

Maybe post the video showing the Mavic's unguided trip for us to see.
Rich
2016-12-18
Use props
Crusader
lvl.1

Netherlands

Nice one, glad you found it!
Now let it dry up nice and easy and check if he's OK.
2016-12-18
Use props
Woodwanger
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Nice one....happy for you that you found it......nice to hear a happy ending for once :-)
2016-12-18
Use props
Heavysledz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 819491 ft
United States

That's awesome news....glad you found it. If you are still concerned, you can upload all of your logs and have DJI analyze them for you.
2016-12-18
Use props
DigiMav
lvl.1
United States

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2016-12-18 09:36
OMG, that's awesome!  

I'm amazed as well. I watched the video and apparently it hovered 4 feet over the landing spot for at least 5 mins. LOL
2016-12-18
Use props
DigiMav
lvl.1
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-12-18 09:43
I am certainly happy you found your Mavic. I feel that even though you did not have your Mavic set to RTH, I would return it to DJI for repair and evaluation just in case..... If you have not considered it already.

This way you will have the answers you seek and confidence to fly the Mavic again

Thanks. The video is very large(4gb) can I upload with that filesize?
2016-12-18
Use props
DigiMav
lvl.1
United States

Crusader Posted at 2016-12-18 09:55
Nice one, glad you found it!
Now let it dry up nice and easy and check if he's OK.

Yea. I'm going to let her rest for today.
2016-12-18
Use props
Crusader
lvl.1

Netherlands

DigiMav Posted at 2016-12-18 19:39
Yea. I'm going to let her rest for today.

Gps tracker an option for a piece of mind in the future?
I got one just in case!
2016-12-18
Use props
DGHockeytown
lvl.1

United States

Crusader Posted at 2016-12-18 13:58
Gps tracker an option for a piece of mind in the future?
I got one just in case!

What kind of suplimental GPS tracker are you using?  If you've done the research, I'd value your conclusions!  

Thanks,
Darin
2016-12-18
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
First Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

DigiMav Posted at 2016-12-18 10:35
I'm amazed as well. I watched the video and apparently it hovered 4 feet over the landing spot for at least 5 mins. LOL

Haha, imagine taking out the trash & a flying Skynet robot is hovering at near face level! I'd have to take a moment to let it all "process" Hahaha.
2016-12-18
Use props
NomadRT
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1669012 ft
United States

I would let that puppy dry in a bag of rice for a day or two before using it.
2016-12-18
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

DigiMav Posted at 2016-12-18 10:37
Thanks. The video is very large(4gb) can I upload with that filesize?

DM
If you have a Youtube account.... You can upload it to Youtube and it will take awhile to be converted... and then published to a lessor HD quality, or put the file into a drop-box location and for those that want to watch will upload it from there.
Most 4K videos are pretty large to work with on the web.
Rich
2016-12-18
Use props
GTDrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2197703 ft
Guatemala

DigiMav Posted at 2016-12-18 11:26

Excellent news!
2016-12-18
Use props
Crusader
lvl.1

United Kingdom

DGHockeytown Posted at 2016-12-18 22:08
What kind of suplimental GPS tracker are you using?  If you've done the research, I'd value your conclusions!  

Thanks,

Post #35 http://mavicpilots.com/threads/gps-tracking-device.748/
Love it, but have not tested it on the Mavic (still waiting) so no info on interferance, but i don't forsee a problem there.
2016-12-19
Use props
takhawaja
lvl.1
Flight distance : 16378 ft
United States

So I tried flying my drone out to see the distance test and I couldn't past 1.5 miles. I kept losing signal and my screen kept getting black. I was worried that I will lose it, but luckily I flew it back and landed safely. Any chance on why ?
2016-12-27
Use props
fans0e76766e
New

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-17 21:52
If you can lead me to where many users have complained with erratic flight during RTH, I would like to research their concerns.
What is your email and I will review your flight.

I lost my drone during erratic flight...
I don't know exactly what happened, It just lost connection and started flying by itself and crashed, but now I cannot find it and it was very close to me... I had sight until it started freaking out...
Could you help me plz?
2017-1-29
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

takhawaja Posted at 2016-12-27 21:56
So I tried flying my drone out to see the distance test and I couldn't past 1.5 miles. I kept losing signal and my screen kept getting black. I was worried that I will lose it, but luckily I flew it back and landed safely. Any chance on why ?

The advertised 4.3 miles is in a 100% interference free area.
Where were you flying, the only place you may get a 100% interference free area is in the middle of the desert or over the ocean.
Also, watch this video as proper antenna orientation as it may help with your range.

2017-1-30
Use props
Gusmtb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 35249 ft
United Kingdom

Well done, what a result, bet you was heartbroken at first, know I would be.

Think this story has learnt me to switch RTH back on, I turned it to hover myself while filming in woods and the Mavic when into RTH and almost crashed into over hanging trees, luckily I managed to cancel it.  Was actually my own fault as I pressed OK instead of cancel when the RTH (low battery) started it's countdown.
2017-1-30
Use props
Zamboon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1332844 ft
Zambia

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-30 07:28
The advertised 4.3 miles is in a 100% interference free area.
Where were you flying, the only place you may get a 100% interference free area is in the middle of the desert or over the ocean.
Also, watch this video as proper antenna orientation as it may help with your range.

I agree Ken, the interference can't be underestimated, you should add Zambia to your list...not a desert or a lake! I have had my Mavic for two weeks now and am getting to know it, yesterday was my distance test and managed 6 miles, I repeated that today and had 23% battery remaining....I know pushing the boundaries. I was on top of a ridge with nothing around my immediate vicinity, I can't manage anything like that when I'm surrounded by trees or buildings or at a low elevation.
I'm sure my claim will be met with much skepticism, have shared the flight log on Healthy Drones dot com.

10 points to the Mavic, it told me at 55% battery to go home and did so in a much straighter line than I used to get there. Very happy indeed a fine machine!
2017-1-30
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Zamboon Posted at 2017-1-30 09:06
I agree Ken, the interference can't be underestimated, you should add Zambia to your list...not a desert or a lake! I have had my Mavic for two weeks now and am getting to know it, yesterday was my distance test and managed 6 miles, I repeated that today and had 23% battery remaining....I know pushing the boundaries. I was on top of a ridge with nothing around my immediate vicinity, I can't manage anything like that when I'm surrounded by trees or buildings or at a low elevation.
I'm sure my claim will be met with much skepticism, have shared the flight log on Healthy Drones dot com.

WOW, that's incredible range.
You can just post a screenshot from your flight log at your furthers point to show instead of people going to another website to see.
2017-1-30
Use props
boostedford
Second Officer
Flight distance : 144478 ft
United States

wow!!!! im glad you found it definitely surprised it wasnt stolen. i wonder if the owner of the house spotted it sitting in their driveway? haha
2017-1-30
Use props
Zamboon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1332844 ft
Zambia

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-30 09:28
WOW, that's incredible range.
You can just post a screenshot from your flight log at your furthers point to show instead of people going to another website to see.

Hi Ken, I'm not sure how to post a screen shot, probably doing the wrong thing as its too big and the site wont let me, managed to get a link though, I think....

http://healthydrones.com/main?share=nmImPU
2017-1-30
Use props
Rich32
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4951 ft
United States

Looks like your flight was a little over 2 mile range.
2017-1-30
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Zamboon Posted at 2017-1-30 12:17
Hi Ken, I'm not sure how to post a screen shot, probably doing the wrong thing as its too big and the site wont let me, managed to get a link though, I think....

http://healthydrones.com/main?share=nmImPU

To post a picture, use the Advanced tab and then click on the image icon and you can upload your image.
DJI does not use Healthy Drones as their data is not reliable as they cannot correctly extract the encrypted data.
So a screenshot at your furthest distance is the way to do it.
2017-1-30
Use props
HWKIDD
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22877 ft
United States

wow,,,  what a great ending,    Sometimes  you  get lucky,,,  happy for you,,
2017-1-30
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 362510 ft