Are additional gimbal protectors useful?
851 5 2016-12-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Somnium
lvl.3
Flight distance : 888819 ft
Kazakhstan

Is it useful and enough thing in cause of accidents (not very serious, like hard landing...) to prevent gimbal/camera damage?
2016-12-18
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Somnium,

It really depends on what you fly.  The P4 series does not appear to have any vulnerabilities that a gimbal protector would help because it does not have the mounting platform like the P2 and P3s.  I have made preventers for the P2 and P3 out of paper clips that work very well and are very lite.  As much as my P3P is my baby, it has still crashed way too often.  The preventer has kept the gimbal and camera in tact.

Below is a photo of the two part preventer.  The tape is just to keep the parts from moving.  There are also tape covers of ribbons where they are vulnerable at connecting points and other noticeable places.  The whole unit is very lite and from free office products.  This system has not been repaired or modified for over a year of flying.

Aloha and Drone On!
PreventerS.jpg
2016-12-18
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The gimbal guards that attach to the landing gear are not encouraged by DJI as they can interfere with the visual/ultrasonic sensors, and have been known to cause severe fluctuations in altitude and cutting off of motors while descending. The problem there seems to be that on full throttle down (shouldn't normally cause any problems) the aircraft thinks it is on the ground because of ultrasonic reflection from the static gimbal guard, and shuts off motors.
This is based  on a number of posts over the past year, not something I want to test myself
2016-12-18
Use props
Somnium
lvl.3
Kazakhstan

Aardvark Posted at 2016-12-18 20:53
The gimbal guards that attach to the landing gear are not encouraged by DJI as they can interfere with the visual/ultrasonic sensors, and have been known to cause severe fluctuations in altitude and cutting off of motors while descending. The problem there seems to be that on full throttle down (shouldn't normally cause any problems) the aircraft thinks it is on the ground because of ultrasonic reflection from the static gimbal guard, and shuts off motors.
This is based  on a number of posts over the past year, not something I want to test myself

Thank you for this opinion. Agree with you now that avoidance system may shut off motors in air... It will be sad))
So will land it with more accuracy. Usually I land it into hands to avoid hard landing and dust/grease etc
2016-12-19
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Somnium Posted at 2016-12-19 16:34
Thank you for this opinion. Agree with you now that avoidance system may shut off motors in air... It will be sad))
So will land it with more accuracy. Usually I land it into hands to avoid hard landing and dust/grease etc

I do much the same, I hand catch most of the time to save any potential problems, always being aware of the risks involve though.

I have a piece of hardboard I use for launching from (or P4 case if not wet). And could use same for landing if needed.
2016-12-19
Use props
Somnium
lvl.3
Kazakhstan

Aardvark Posted at 2016-12-20 01:03
I do much the same, I hand catch most of the time to save any potential problems, always being aware of the risks involve though.

I have a piece of hardboard I use for launching from (or P4 case if not wet). And could use same for landing if needed.

Yes it's quite convenient to launch from P4 box if place dry and clean.
Pity that box is a bit slimpsy. But anyway it's better than nothing as before.
2016-12-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules