Look Out DJI
2429 33 2015-2-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TomWolves
lvl.4
Flight distance : 110577 ft
United States

DJI keep a watch out, and take care of your customers. There is a new breed of Quad copter YUNEEC Q500 Typhoon. I still love my Phantom@ Vision Plus but!, I am looking another direction.
http://www.yuneec.com/
2015-2-12
Use props
trailtec.dodo
lvl.2

Australia

Interesting . . .
2015-2-12
Use props
JATO
lvl.4

United States

Yes it is interesting. It's heavy but claims 25 min flying time. It seems to be missing GPS stuff and I didn't see RTN but it has follow me. But on paper the DJI still looks better. We'll have to see how this newcomer performs and what it evolves into.
2015-2-12
Use props
jeepinocala
lvl.3

United States

The cost is to high.
2015-2-12
Use props
TomWolves
lvl.4
Flight distance : 110577 ft
United States

It doesn't have "Waypoints" either, as far as cost I paid that much for my Phantom2 Vision Plus. I'm just keeping and eye on it, as I still do love my phantom, just so many technical issues with my P2V+. It is pretty bad the first thing that comes to my mind when I go to fly is " am I going to crash today" as my friend did with his when he updated to 3.6  firmware 3.8.  
2015-2-12
Use props
rod
Second Officer

New Zealand

TomWolves Posted at 2015-2-13 09:49
It doesn't have "Waypoints" either, as far as cost I paid that much for my Phantom2 Vision Plus. I'm ...

I was thrilled to see that a company has realized that more than half the planet uses the so called PAL system of broadcasting and can offer 50 FPS. That's a vote getter  for most of Europe and all of the southern hemisphere!

Still, having been an early adopter of the Phantom, I will wait for their forum and see what it is actually like, regarding stability , consistency and all the other things that bite your tail with new gear. (anyone remember windows 95?-- every second line of code had a blue screen crash built in- but look now- win 7 and 8 are stable and very trouble free products )

Their web site doesn't contain a huge amount of info yet, so its the waiting game for me. (and still waiting for the v3.08 update as if anyone didn't know by now!!!)

Rod{:3_53:}
2015-2-12
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

rod Posted at 2015-2-13 10:00
I was thrilled to see that a company has realized that more than half the planet uses the so calle ...

I even remember windows 3.2 and Tandy desktop.  That's ancient history now  {:3_57:}
2015-2-12
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

TenCentsWorth Posted at 2015-2-13 10:39
Do you remember the Tandy TRS 80? (It was all in the keyboard and you plugged the monitor etc into ...

My first was the Tandy 1000 EX,  256 k ram. 5 1/4 floppy is all I could use in it.  It took almost 20 minutes to add 2 + 2.
2015-2-12
Use props
steadystickrick
lvl.2

United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-2-13 10:06
I even remember windows 3.2 and Tandy desktop.  That's ancient history now

i was a rep for Atari selling the first Atari 400/800 computers....4K Ram...RadioShack had the TRS-80...early 80's.....
2015-2-12
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

steadystickrick Posted at 2015-2-13 10:45
i was a rep for Atari selling the first Atari 400/800 computers....4K Ram...RadioShack had the TRS ...

Before that, I was using the abacus, it was faster than the computers.
2015-2-12
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

They called it the Trash-80...
I never had one - had the Commodore 64, though. That was before my IBM PC which cost 5K in 1982......that would be the equiv of about 15K today! I guess when you look at it that way, the Inspire is cheap! My PC didn't even do anything (no hard drive, only 64K of RAM), Black and green monitor, etc.

The Q500 looks like the first unit which is even in the ballpark of the P2V+. It has some good features but lacks a bunch too (not much camera setting control).

I doubt DJI is shaking in their boots....
Sure, there will be other units on the market but Yuneec is about a year behind and I doubt they have the resources or employees to keep up (they announced these quads a LONG time ago.....they have been delayed quite a bit).

Still it's always good to have choices.

I do think by the time others correctly copy DJI, DJI will already be onto something new...and since volume and mass production rule, DJI can always provide as good or better of a value. They will be tough to unseat as the top dog.
2015-2-12
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

I got into PCs late with a Intel 286AT 12MHz turbo, 40 MB hard drive, no mouse, no modem and no sound card. I did write programs on an IBM 7040 main frame in college. It had 16K of magnetic core memory
2015-2-12
Use props
rod
Second Officer

New Zealand

Capt. Bill Posted at 2015-2-13 10:58
I got into PCs late with a Intel 286AT 12MHz turbo, 40 MB hard drive, no mouse, no modem and no soun ...

Now look what's happened. A seriously hijacked thread by us oldies!!! power to the people!

I started with a dragon 32 and a sinclair with the dead flesh keyboard.  Graduated to the mighty commodore 64  with enough power to--- well swich on a little bulb that said "on".  ho hum- and look where we are today flying computerised drones with more power than the mighty Cray ( well maybe not quite , but you get my drift------and yaw! (sorry , couldn't resist.)

Cheers! , better let the OP have his thread back  {:3_54:}

Rod
2015-2-12
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

rod Posted at 2015-2-13 11:07
Now look what's happened. A seriously hijacked thread by us oldies!!! power to the people!

I star ...

The Phantom has more computing power than the Apollo moon craft had.
2015-2-12
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

Related to guidance this is the Minuteman I missile guidance unit developed in the 1950. I used to have the keys to Minuteman missiles. The Minuteman-I Autonetics D-17 flight computer used a rotating air bearing magnetic disk holding 2,560 "cold-stored" words in 20 tracks (write heads disabled after program fill) of 24 bits each and one alterable track of 128 words. It was all discreet components on cards.

That is a 5K hard drive.
The Phantom most likely has more and more accurate computing power
MM I guide.jpg
2015-2-12
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Capt. Bill Posted at 2015-2-13 11:27
Related to guidance this is the Minuteman I missile guidance unit developed in the 1950. I used to h ...

I had the keys to a 55 Chevy once.
2015-2-12
Use props
rod
Second Officer

New Zealand

Capt. Bill Posted at 2015-2-13 11:27
Related to guidance this is the Minuteman I missile guidance unit developed in the 1950. I used to h ...

hey Bill, should you be showing pictures like that?  Any guys in black suits outside your window yet?{:2_25:}
Rod
2015-2-12
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

rod Posted at 2015-2-13 11:47
hey Bill, should you be showing pictures like that?  Any guys in black suits outside your window y ...

They probably have a Phantom outside his window spying on him
2015-2-12
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

rod Posted at 2015-2-13 11:47
hey Bill, should you be showing pictures like that?  Any guys in black suits outside your window y ...

That is off Wikipedia so I am not worried
2015-2-12
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Capt. Bill Posted at 2015-2-13 12:12
That is off Wikipedia so I am not worried

It's ok Capt.  that is ancient history now anyway.
2015-2-12
Use props
kirk2579.aol
Second Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

TenCentsWorth Posted at 2015-2-13 10:39
Do you remember the Tandy TRS 80? (It was all in the keyboard and you plugged the monitor etc into ...

still own some tandy  computers circa early mid 80's. every now and then I get out and run one for sh*ts and giggles
used to manage a bunch of shack computer stores in ancient history  good times!
2015-2-12
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

I never had a Tandy but I remember them. Programs like early Microsoft Flight Simulator always had different instructions for Tandy an PC computers.
2015-2-12
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Capt. Bill Posted at 2015-2-13 12:55
I never had a Tandy but I remember them. Programs like early Microsoft Flight Simulator always had d ...

Flt sim 5.0 sucked.
2015-2-12
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

I have every version of FS, from 3 to 10. When I got my first computer I thought all I would ever do is us FS and write some BASIC programs
2015-2-12
Use props
trailtec.dodo
lvl.2

Australia

I still have the Sinclair ZX80 I bought new when I was but a wee laddy.
And the Amstrad all in one (pre Commodore) that cost 5k new plus another grand for the software. Both still run just fine.
2015-2-12
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

trailtec.dodo Posted at 2015-2-13 13:40
I still have the Sinclair ZX80 I bought new when I was but a wee laddy.
And the Amstrad all in one  ...

My first plane was paper.
2015-2-12
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

Looks like a PhanSpire..
Cross between a poorly designed Phantom and an Inspire, the latter of which is still pretty much in Beta by the sounds of it. (I know a couple of folks with an Inspire that are keeping them in Bird Cages until they are sure they won't just fly off and whack someone or something unexpectedly),
I'll stick with what I have until something serious comes out that is at least as predictably unpredictable as the Phantom.
2015-2-12
Use props
MAD In NC
lvl.2

United States

I'm not discounting Yuneec.   I'll be watching them.  Like the idea of a 4k camera quality. 6 month who know where they will be or even to that point where will my Phantom be (either w me or parts unkown I'll quess)

They build planes, ultrglides but none the less a different mentality that what we see as typical Chinesse here....  

2015-2-13
Use props
talk2t_c
lvl.4

France

MAD In NC Posted at 2015-2-13 18:00
I'm not discounting Yuneec.   I'll be watching them.  Like the idea of a 4k camera quality. 6 month  ...

I am looking at the Q500.  The only problem I have is that he camera hasn't got the settings adjustment we get in the DJI cameras.  It appears to be FOV 130 degrees and that's it apart from FPS choices in video mode.
Not that I can find anyway.
and for the oldies - my first contact with the computer age was punch cards.
2015-2-13
Use props
isaiahbrock7.gm
lvl.3
Flight distance : 98934 ft
United States

Blade makes there quad copters  look very corny
2015-2-13
Use props
markus2015
lvl.4

Germany

The more competitors of a product, the lower the prices for established products. So... bring it on
2015-2-13
Use props
BWJ
Second Officer

Denmark

I guess if it goes on customer service, it is not realistic it can be worst
2015-2-13
Use props
Friffy1
lvl.2

United States

Hold on there, gang!  The original FS was AWESOME (for its time!)!  I've owned every version from 1.0 (when it was still owned by Sublogic) through when Microsoft bought it, through to FSX!.  I even had a "flight stick" (consisted of a small joystick, 2 buttons, and 2 or 3 trim dials as I recall).

Ah, those were the days....
2015-2-13
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Friffy1 Posted at 2015-2-14 00:52
Hold on there, gang!  The original FS was AWESOME (for its time!)!  I've owned every version from  ...

It still sucks.
2015-2-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules