Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
The reason I won't be buying the OSMO Mobile. LG G4
1742 11 2016-12-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Paco572
lvl.3
Canada

Hello,
To be blunt, how can your designers not take into consideration the fact smart phone users use protective cases on their phones. After looking at your specs, My LG G4 with an 'OTTER BOX" will not work with your OSMO Mobile as it's "too thick". When people like myself spend $700 or more on a phone and want to protect my investment, things like protective cases are a must. Take for example, I had a Galaxy S6 and I accidentally dropped it, I murdered the it in one swoop. I learned my lesson. My "OTTER BOX" on my LG G4, I can drop it and my phone stays safe. So that being said, since your company doesn't have the foresight to know that many people are just not willing to take apart their protective cases to use your OSMO Mobile and expose their phones to damage. I have no choice but to say, I will not by your product. Period. Even-though I would like to have it and many of it's accessories.

Perhaps in the future your design team will design an OSMO Mobile that's more accommodating to "real world" broad spectrum of consumer realities.

Merry X-Mas
PACO

2016-12-19
Use props
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

Just take off your case?
2016-12-19
Use props
Paco572
lvl.3
Canada

That's the whole point DJI Joe. "PROTECTION"; Even the guy riding the motor cycle with the bike clamp seen on the main web page, is taking a big risk of damaging his phone because there's simply is no protection from a rock or anything else that tires spit up. Your response lacks any useful information and is borderline just plain insulting and has little if anything to do with my complaint as a consumer. Maybe I'll step back from the insulting part. That being said, my response is, "make the clamp bigger so I don't have to take the case protection off." Then I won't have to read, not to be rude or insulting and nothing personal "short sighted statements" such as yours, which is only 5 useless words long..

Perhaps in the future your design team will design an OSMO Mobile that's more accommodating to "real world" broad spectrum of consumer realities.

Merry X-Mas
PACO
2016-12-19
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Well OTTER BOX case is kind of too thick. If you look at the design of Osmo Mobile's holder, you'll see that it needs to use a different design, probably two more clamps  to accommodate different thickness. And more moving parts= more chance to break.   If you want to use your phone without a case, I can tell you the Osmo Mobile's holder is tight enough that I've never head of any case of customer's phone slipping from it.  

I suggest spend a few bucks on Ebay to buy a thinner case for your phone, and put that case on when you plan to use the Osmo Mobile in situations like running or on bike. In normal shooting scenarios, you can just use it without a case and it's pretty safe.
2016-12-20
Use props
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

Paco572 Posted at 2016-12-20 15:56
That's the whole point DJI Joe. "PROTECTION"; Even the guy riding the motor cycle with the bike clamp seen on the main web page, is taking a big risk of damaging his phone because there's simply is no protection from a rock or anything else that tires spit up. Your response lacks any useful information and is borderline just plain insulting and has little if anything to do with my complaint as a consumer. Maybe I'll step back from the insulting part. That being said, my response is, "make the clamp bigger so I don't have to take the case protection off." Then I won't have to read, not to be rude or insulting and nothing personal "short sighted statements" such as yours, which is only 5 useless words long..

Paco, I apologize if I came off as rude. There certainly will be situations where taking off a phone case is not an option, but the Osmo Mobile was designed to hold smartphones, not action cameras. A smartphone is inherently delicate and designing the Osmo Mobile to handle rugged cases may compromise other features such as size, weight, or price.

If you're looking for something for action sports where your devices are at a higher risk, I'd recommend the new Osmo extension cable which allows you to separate an Osmo camera from the base.

Again, apologize if I came off as rude, that was my fault.
2016-12-20
Use props
Paco572
lvl.3
Canada

Thank you both for your replies. I would add that having the OSMO being what it is, I would suggest that more thought should have gone into it to cover a larger demographic of people and there cameras, for example I have a Go Pro 2,3,4, and 5, A Panasonic Lumix ZS60 point and shoot camera and 2 ipods to name a few. There are tons of Go Pro clones out there now too for a lot less money. I have other SLR's and Video cameras which are not applicable. Nevertheless, If your going to give folks a "Holder" with a gimbal, why not give them everything they need so they can use it with a wide variety of devices. No need for blue tooth with a go pro or even the Lumix ZS60, but at least the smooth video produced by the gimbal would be a very welcome feature. I see this from what is possible demographically to what is seemingly a very narrow field or niche the OSMO currently is fitting into. Yes, I probably could buy another case but I like the one have now, it's thick and robust and fits it perfectly. Even while shopping at Walmart yesterday, I saw only one phone without a protective case. Every other phone I saw had a protective case. This only strengthens my point that OSMO's demographic is very narrow, when it could be a "show stopper" money maker.

Back in the day when PC's first came out, this was a story I told a software engineer who was didn't want to add options to his software. However he did agree with me that, "The hardware is only as good as the software that drives it", I went on to say, "Well software with no options, IS SOFTWARE WITH NO OPTIONS", after this call he added more options to his software. So the something can be said here, "A device with no options is a DEVICE WITH NO OPTIONS" and therefore a device is only as good as the options it has.

Once again, Perhaps in the future your design team will design an OSMO Mobile that's more accommodating to "real world" broad spectrum of consumer realities.
And again thank you both for your thoughtful responses, it was much better than the five word salute.

Merry X-Mas
PACO
2016-12-21
Use props
Paco572
lvl.3
Canada

I've been looking at some thinner cases for my LG G4, so it begs the question, can I use the OSMO with my GO Pro 2,3,4 or 5 and my Panasonic ZS60 point and shoot?

THX
Merry X-Mas
PACO
2016-12-22
Use props
Superduperwes
lvl.1
Canada

I was bothered that the iPhone 7plus also won't fit with a fairly standard case. I tad more adjustability and it would be good.
2016-12-22
Use props
giggidditygiggi
lvl.1
United States

Think the next version of the mobile needs a more adjustable clamp and or state that it only will hold non-protected standard "pop-tart" (rectangle and flat) size phones.

Anyway, I kept it and just modded a action-cam instead, saving me the hassle of damaging a pricier phone for the steady-cam capability.  Fine for my tourist usage.
2016-12-30
Use props
jrm11
lvl.4
Flight distance : 224577 ft
United States

Superduperwes Posted at 2016-12-22 19:29
I was bothered that the iPhone 7plus also won't fit with a fairly standard case. I tad more adjustability and it would be good.

I can certainly see how it would be difficult for the OM to accommodate a wide range of devices (such as a GoPro).

The quoted comment, however, makes sense. I have a thin case on my iPhone 6+. It must come off to fit in the OM. Nothing that can't easily be worked around... but it is a minor inconvenience to take off the case each time. The case then becomes one more thing to not lose.

It also makes me hope that Apple's next phone isn't _any_ larger, as that would obsolete my OM when I upgrade.

I agree that a tad more adjustability would be a very good thing. Not a deal breaker (currently) but a smart idea.
2016-12-30
Use props
Teamfour
Flight distance : 440988 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have a thin case on my 6s and the fit is acceptable. Does it fit perfectly in the little rubber groove? No, but it has never fallen out.
2016-12-30
Use props
Spinball
lvl.1
United Kingdom

We have Otterbox Defender cases for all our phones and tablets, and it was the first thing I bought for my Samsung S6.  I recently returned from a week long holiday where I used my Samsung without a case in the Osmo Mobile.  It's a risk we have to take and a compromise we have to make.
I'm writing a review of the Osmo Mobile now for AVForums and the fact that the holder can not accommodate a case is one of the 'cons' of this product.  There are many 'pros' but a few 'cons'.
I have posted threads in the photos&video forum containing YouTube clips I have created while testing.
2016-12-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules