Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Blurry middle of image (focus problem) - P3 Professional
1840 8 2016-12-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
vertiguy
Australia

Hi,

I have a P3 Professional that I bought earlier this year. I also own 2 P3 Advanced.
After the first video flight, I noticed that the middle of the image is soft (out of focus).
It's not drastic but it is quite notieable on a full HD (1920x1080) monitor when viewed full screen.
It's particularly noticeable when the video is moving over terrain, because sharp features near the sides of the screen become soft as they pass through the middle of the screen.
My other two Phantoms do not have this problem, and the image is sharp everywhere.

I used to sell CCD cameras and often fitted different lenses to them and needed to set their focus.
With wide angle lenses, as you focus them there is actually a point where the middle can be blurry while the edges are sharp.
To me, this indicates that the problem with my camera is simply a poorly focussed lens.

I sent it back the seller in HK who forwarded it to DJI.
When it came back, the problem was still clearly there: a soft image in the centre, unlike my other two Phantom 3 cameras.
It was obvious that they had not fixed it.
I asked the seller to check with DJI, and as expected, DJI confirmed that they had not attempted any repair.
In their view there was no problem.

I don't know what to do.
I believe I could adjust the focus myself but it is a lot of work.
And I shouldn't have to do this because it is under warranty.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

2016-12-19
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Unfortunately this is not an uncommon problem, nor is the almost legendary ability of the DJI repair people to try and fob off your problem. What you report has happened several times in the past, there is truly a problem with the adfjustment of the lens. Hopefully one of the DJI reps may come on here and offer to help. Sadly, you have missed out on the best solution, to promptly return the aircraft and get a replacement.
2016-12-19
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Vertiguy, thanks for bringing this to our attention, we'd love to help you check it again.
Would you please upload several original pictures and a short video to dropbox? please do not edit them, then provide us the link, thanks.
2016-12-20
Use props
vertiguy
Australia

DJI Natalia Posted at 2016-12-20 01:18
Vertiguy, thanks for bringing this to our attention, we'd love to help you check it again.
Would you please upload several original pictures and a short video to dropbox? please do not edit them, then provide us the link, thanks.

Here is a short clip:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uflqlp ... n%20middle.mp4?dl=0

You can see that the left and right edges are razor sharp, but the middle is soft.

My other Phantom 3 camera is sharp over the entire image.

This problem is subtle, and will only be seen when viewed full screen on a monitor that has enough resolution to properly display this 1920x1080 video.

I haven't had a chance to do photos, but this video shows the issue.

An unrelated problem with this camera is that the tilt axis has the ribbon cable rubbing against the side of the camera, causing noticeable friction and making a scraping sound. It may or not affect gimbal performance but I'm concerned about long-term reliabiliy.
2017-1-1
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Just to clarify, what is the temperature when you recorded the video? we need more info to locate the case your reported.
2017-1-2
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

For the ribbon cable rubs against the side of camera, would you please record a small video for us as well? thanks.

Besides, we've transferred the video you provided to our engineers, but found that the video has been edited, would you please upload an original video again without any editting?
Sorry for any inconvenience caused.
2017-1-5
Use props
vertiguy
Australia

Temperature was about 20 degrees C. It was nice weather and I was comfortable wearing a shirt.

OK, I will do video about the ribbon when I get a chance.

Regarding the sample video I uploaded:
Because of the enormous file size of the original (4 GB), I trimmed it to a few seconds using Machete which is a special editor that cuts losslessly without re-compressing, provided you cut at keyframes which it helps you to do. In other words, the video frames are completely identical to the original.

Regarding uploading the full 4 GB video:
I have never uploaded anything this size, and I don't have fast enough internet here.
If you require a complete unedited video, it might be better for me to record a new shorter video, but I won't be able to do this for a week or two.

By the way, you recommended that I contact support@dji.com in your message earlier in this thread (since deleted), in which you said:
"For this case, I do suggest you to send it in, you can get in touch with our tech support via support@dji.com. Sorry for the inconvenience caused."

I emailed this address several days ago with full details (purchase date, serial number) and have received no reply.
2017-1-5
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

vertiguy Posted at 2017-1-5 17:52
Temperature was about 20 degrees C. It was nice weather and I was comfortable wearing a shirt.

OK, I will do video about the ribbon when I get a chance.

It would be best to locate where the problem exists since you've sent it in for evaluation before.
Please take a short video at your convenience and upload it to dropbox again, we'll take care of your case.
If there is something wrong with the aircraft, then we'll guide to send it in for repair, thanks for your understanding.
2017-1-5
Use props
vertiguy
Australia

Update 10 months later: This was never resolved. The camera (faulty since new) has not been used since those earlier messages.
I sent the video which clearly showed the blur near the centre of the image, which DJI support acknowledged was there.
The fault is intermittent so I suspect there might be slight movement of the sensor occurring.
Support asked me to send more samples, which means temporarily fitting the camera to a Phantom, and filming more samples, and uploading again.
I already sent the faulty camera to DJI and they returned it still faulty.
I simply don't have any more time to spend on this. It has cost me more in time than the value of the camera.
I ended up buying another camera.
2017-10-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules