SF Bay Area edit with Mavic
1293 8 2016-12-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dotfiles
lvl.3

United States

Hey all,

Here is a quick edit I threw together with some footage of my first real day of flying (received my Mavic a while ago but haven't been able to get out to fly much until recently).

I'm seeing some weird circular marks in the first shot as the lens flare sweeps across the image, is anyone else noticing this sort of flare? The marks can be seen at 0:10 in the middle of the screen and at 0:14 near the bottom left. I realize the shots are a pretty extreme and purposeful example of lens flare but I haven't seen those types of small circular translucent marks on other videos.

Thanks for watching.

2016-12-19
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice quick video... did you leave the plastic dome on the Mavic? This could explain the lens flare issue.  Otherwise some lens flare is normally caused from the props and heading into the sun.

Quick answer, hope it helps you

All the best
Rich
2016-12-19
Use props
dotfiles
lvl.3

United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-12-20 13:00
Nice quick video... did you leave the plastic dome on the Mavic? This could explain the lens flare issue.  Otherwise some lens flare is normally caused from the props and heading into the sun.

Quick answer, hope it helps you

Thanks for the comment. And nope, dome and clamp were removed. The only thing I can think that would cause those weird marks in the flare is dust inside the lens but there doesn't appear to be any. It may just be a limitation of such a small lens with no lens hood.
2016-12-19
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice video, I would think the dome was on.
I see that it wasn't, actually I think it looked kinda cool with flare of different colors.
2016-12-19
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Waiting on nd filters. Get the same thing with the sun.
2016-12-19
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

dotfiles Posted at 2016-12-19 21:09
Thanks for the comment. And nope, dome and clamp were removed. The only thing I can think that would cause those weird marks in the flare is dust inside the lens but there doesn't appear to be any. It may just be a limitation of such a small lens with no lens hood.

hum, well it is not blurry maybe just a weird angle with the sun?  I saw this clever lens sun shade(Hood) that you can make yourself (DIY)    Rich

2016-12-19
Use props
dotfiles
lvl.3

United States

thehippoz Posted at 2016-12-20 14:27
Waiting on nd filters. Get the same thing with the sun.

Good to know I'm not alone, I've got ND filters coming too so we'll see if that helps.
2016-12-20
Use props
dotfiles
lvl.3

United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-12-20 14:55
hum, well it is not blurry maybe just a weird angle with the sun?  I saw this clever lens sun shade(Hood) that you can make yourself (DIY)    Rich

https://youtu.be/QNICFf56MEU

Interesting, I might have to get a spare dome and try that. Also its kind of weird, I've got the very blurry right side problem in my stills and although it is still there, it is much less apparent in video footage.
2016-12-20
Use props
Alex G
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1366857 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Same problem with the sun without dome. I hope DJI will solve this with some accessory like a lens hood or filter
2016-12-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules