Our Mavic Pro Development Team Wants Your Feedback!
123Next >
8822 111 2016-12-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Our Mavic development team would like your feedback! Check out the post and poll below.
---------
Hi everyone,

This is the Mavic Pro development team, and we’re working on making flying cameras exactly how you like them. We’d like to hear your feedback!
We have introduced a new powerful data link system, OcuSync, to the Mavic Pro, in addition to Wi-Fi mode. The original purpose of Wi-Fi mode was to allow users to fly their aircraft with just a smartphone. We thought it could be useful when you need to download photos, get a quick selfie, use ActiveTrack, or when you just don't have the RC by your side.

However, we’d like to know YOUR thoughts about Wi-Fi mode.

If you don't use WiFi mode very much, we'd like to know why. Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments or the thread. Here are some examples:
- It’s not bad, but the RC and OcuSync suit my purposes, so I don't use it.
- The connection is too easily interfered with, and I can’t fly very far.
- It's inconvenient to switch between modes.
- I had a bad experience controlling the drone with my phone.
- (Any other reasons)

mavic.jpg

Also, how often do you use WiFi Mode? Let us know by answering this poll. Thanks for your feedback everyone!

The first 100 people to vote will get 100 forum points!

Single SelectVote, Total 268 people participate in voting

Voting has ended

2.61% (7)
61.19% (164)
25.00% (67)
10.07% (27)
1.12% (3)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2016-12-20
Use props
ars.fabula
lvl.4
Flight distance : 706234 ft
Switzerland

Still discovery all the various modes. Wifi is interessting, but the DJI Go interface is crowded and I get nervous that I'll send the mavic crashing because of a wrong manipulation.
2016-12-20
Use props
Coyut
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2559222 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

Will never use Wifi as range is way to limited, control with sticks much better and Wifi more likely to be interupted by other signals.

I'd rather prefer less weight.
For most users its probably unneeded and just adds another complex soft-/hardware layer to be maintained.
It would also be great to get hands on a drone without any guide and avoidance sensors as I turn these off any way to experience much better flight characteristics.
Getting rid of these gadgets would also allow for a cleaner app.
While were at it. I'd rather would love to see forces put into image transmission stability on the I1, which is terrible since s couple of firmware releases.
2016-12-20
Use props
clallemand
lvl.1
  • >>>
Germany

I'm scared to use pure wifi mode, i encounter so many Disconnects between my phone(s) and the RC (Galaxy S7 Edge and the OnePlus 3T), i will not risk to can't control it just with a Wifi connection
2016-12-20
Use props
KerryG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11736709 ft
  • >>>
United States

Tried it once, will not use again. The speed is too limited, the range is too limited, and the lag past 50' out made it pretty much unusable. Should have been left out and saved money on components.
2016-12-20
Use props
Peter Galbavy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 545377 ft
United Kingdom

I tried once and the DJI Go 4 app kept crashing. I am happy to help with diagnostics, but I was just playing.
2016-12-20
Use props
fansd2b11e6f
lvl.4
Flight distance : 394626 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

I use the WiFi mode fairly often and find it useful for quick shots such as orbit, pan out, and follow (with active track). I do wish that the interface was less cluttered, eg I don't need the navigation sticks, especially if all I want is to do an orbit from my current position with a 50m radius at a preset speed.

What I would find useful is the ability to tap on the map to set a POI and drag a slider to set speed and radius, and have the Mavic fly to that location and complete an orbit video with minimal user input until the first cycle is complete.

Likewise, follow would be great if I could just get the Mavic to lift off, fly a preset distance to my front/left/right/back and face me, so that I can set the active track focus, then just get it to follow in front, from either side, or from the back.

Many of these functionality exists but takes time to configure.  It would be great to have a UX done to simplify the execution of such use cases  
2016-12-20
Use props
rccrazy30
lvl.2
Flight distance : 652841 ft
  • >>>
United States

I haven't used it. The remotes so small i haven't found a reason not to use it. I have also had issues with my phone battery dying so id prefer to have a physical connection to the drone separate from my phone.
2016-12-20
Use props
GTDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2197703 ft
Guatemala

Hi DJI Mindy ,

I use it a couple of times to test it ,
but i feel really comfortable using the controller because  is more responsive ,  when i test it   i was scared to crash the
quad because i was flying indoors and something the touch is not 100% accurate

also as we fly quads before we usually use a controller and we know how to fly with it .

but i think that is really useful , if you forgot the controller  if it does not have battery , if you break it in a hike  or if you lose it or drop water on it
you cant still take shots ,  i say it because to climb a volcanoe it takes me like 10 or 12 hours hiking and because if something that i mentioned  before happens i still have the wifi to take shots
1+ to DJI!!  

so i like it and every time i tell this to my fiends they say , Really what amazing feature.

i hope it helps you

Regards
2016-12-20
Use props
Wind Junkie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 116165 ft
United States

I haven't used the wi-fi mode to fly my Mavic without the RC. I've flown over 75 times now and really enjoy the experience with the RC. I also don't like the idea of the range being significantly less with no RC. Overall, I think it's a neat idea, but for me it is not practical and will likely never use it.

Thank you
2016-12-20
Use props
BuzzCut
lvl.4

United States

I've had drones before that use WiFi and I was so excited to get a drone that uses RC for two main reasons:
1) RC is just more responsive and - to me - the Mavic is all about responsiveness
2) Controllers are so much better than using screens.  So much more precise
2016-12-20
Use props
fans5f571c35
New
Flight distance : 287477 ft
United States

I don't use it unless in doors !
2016-12-20
Use props
stratosHD
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1231280 ft
Australia

It's inconvenient to switch between modes. If there was an easier way to switch the modes would be great, I dont really like to have to open door next to the SD card, just makes me nervous to drop my card
2016-12-20
Use props
Heavysledz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 819491 ft
United States

only used it for selfies as promoted by DJI and to tests functionality. I may use it more once I get more comfortable and confident with the Mavic but for now the Wi-Fi is disabled when using the RC and phone/tablet due to potential signal interference concerns.
Edit: I agree, with the post above and would like this to be a software switch instead of a hardware switch on the Mavic itself.

2016-12-20
Use props
Easty
lvl.2
Flight distance : 406585 ft
United States

Never use it.  The rc is so small and it's so much better using is tangible controls than onscreen.  

Please spend time on more auto modes like 360 pano shoot sequence.  Or maybe a mode to shoot hyperlapse in tripod mode where it locks on a target and slowly moves toward it taking g stills.  
2016-12-20
Use props
Jeromeo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 103369 ft
Australia

I prefer to be able to feel sticks. Virtual sticks are not for me. But it's a cool option. Thanks
2016-12-20
Use props
trance728-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>
United States

I just haven't found a need or want for it yet. I like the feel of the rc as others have said and don't feel like it's that much extra setup or things to carry.

I'm with Easty though, let's get some new modes added. Litchi has 360 pano but I'd feel.more confident if it was from DJI, and the hyperlapse tripod would be amazing.  
2016-12-20
Use props
ZeeinBC
lvl.2
Flight distance : 287749 ft
Canada

I just haven't seen the utility of flying in wifi mode.  Even a quick "selfie" is pretty easy using the phone paired to the controller -- its not like the controller is that big anyway, and with the controller I don't have to worry about the limited range for wifi only control.  I've only used the wifi connection in a very large open field -- it just doesnt feel like i'm "in control"as much as having the sticks and normal controller.
2016-12-20
Use props
Danny-B-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 306640 ft
United Kingdom

My mavic is always carried with the rc so I see no real need to use a limited controler... I may one day use it to demo to someone but I wouldn't have been upset if it wasn't there.

If they removed WiFi support and added more sensors, I'd see that more useful
2016-12-21
Use props
RoryM
lvl.2
Flight distance : 291106 ft
United Kingdom

I'm aware of the WiFi feature but have always used my Mavic with the remote and I also enjoy flying the drone far and the reach of the remote gives me peace of mine.
Maybe I will try the Wifi mode but I do not require it right now
2016-12-21
Use props
thebmallory
lvl.2
Flight distance : 50466 ft
France

I (and probably most of us) tried wifi mode in order to use active track. And currently the range limitation of 80m max from take off is too low. it would be nice to still have this 80m max range but to update it regurlarly using the phone location.
2016-12-21
Use props
chippie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 12976 ft
United Kingdom

Whilst direct WiFi control may be a good idea for smaller pocket drones I personally think that it is a redundant feature to have on the Mavic and may in the long run cause more issues with inexperienced people using it to control the Mavic, which unfortunately I have a feeling is who that feature was initially aimed at.
2016-12-21
Use props
Peter Galbavy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 545377 ft
United Kingdom

I tried this once again this morning in the office before many people got in. The place you might think it's useful is for things like selfies, especially close by and indoors. The focus to 0.5m would indicate some use for this but then when I tried gesture mode while about 2m / 2.5m off the ground (indoors there are limits) it just complained that the aircraft was not high enough. If I went up anymore then I would risk hitting light fittings etc.

WiFi mode could be more useful but perhaps only if the app features and controls were simplified to consider the typical use cases for close by flying - like indoors and near people for photos etc.
2016-12-21
Use props
Mauro Pagliai
First Officer
Flight distance : 35365551 ft
  • >>>
Italy

I always prefer RC and ocusync, but I've tryied the wifi mode and it is very easy and precise. I've to familiarize with controls (a high automization, I feel very untrusted ) and now is winter, very cold for nakend finger
2016-12-21
Use props
Kinoy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 87385 ft
France

I don't know how far I'll make the Mavic flies away so I use the RC & Ocusyn mode by default
Not tried the wifi mode yet
2016-12-21
Use props
Bax
lvl.4
Flight distance : 749413 ft
Australia

I have not had the need to try wifi mode yet. It is still a good option I think, you may damage your remote etc
2016-12-21
Use props
vb2MlllLMMTC
lvl.1

United States

I just haven't been confident enough in my skills as a pilot to try it. I always use the remote. I also want the feel of a joystick rather than the uncertainty of a virtual one. It just seems easier to control
2016-12-21
Use props
blackite
lvl.2
Flight distance : 133927 ft
Hong Kong

I'm just newbie and do pretty much prefer at this moment to use the remote control. However is good to know that Wi-Fi mode is there in case is needed.
2016-12-21
Use props
fans61954438
lvl.2

United States

Scared to use it. I would actually prefer to for a short distance flight to just use RC without phone
2016-12-21
Use props
Andy LIS
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3358875 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I knew about it.  I can sort of see that it might appeal for anyone that absolutely wants to minimise the "stuff" needed to fly.  I can't see me ever using it, other than just to see what it is all about.

I would prefer to have the option of using a controller that has adjustable length sticks (or even removable sticks so I can use longer ones for precision), and also the ability to get a HDMI feed out on the ground to go to a second screen for showing clients whilst working.

Andy
2016-12-21
Use props
ChuckNBlades
lvl.2
Flight distance : 85489 ft
United States

I've flown RC for years and am comfortable using sticks.  I've used the Wifi once to test it.  I'd actually like to be able to fly with just the transmitter and not use the phone at all.
2016-12-21
Use props
dustout
lvl.2
United States

Range is so limited is prefer to just use the normal controller. The normal controller is small enough that I don't feel a need to ever leave it behind.
2016-12-21
Use props
fans7b971af6
lvl.2

Malaysia

Personally I prefer using the RC. It provides me with better fine-grained control and the necessary info.
Although having the wifi does have its advantages. Allows me to use the Mavic in a pinch for certain scenarios.
I like the fact I have access to 2 modes of control
2016-12-21
Use props
13MStang
lvl.3
Flight distance : 892749 ft
United States

1. To me, the drone and the RC belong together.  They are always in the same bag, so i am never without the RC.   for that reason alone, I have not used the wifi.
2. My phone (iPhone 6s) is, in my opinion, a bit small to use as RC and viewer at the same time.
3. I like and use all the buttons on the RC while flying.   Such as the 2 custom buttons and the quick record and photo buttons.   It makes things easier while flying since i mostly have the phone on full screen display mode.

2016-12-21
Use props
fans7b971af6
lvl.2

Malaysia

Personally I prefer the RC. Better handling and feel more reassured.
However I do like the idea that I have wifi access that can be used in a pinch for easy scenarios.
2016-12-21
Use props
fans53ced844
lvl.2
Flight distance : 7971808 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't like the range limitation of WiFi and I really don't trust the controls in WiFi mode.
2016-12-21
Use props
NinjaTurtles
lvl.1
United States

I am new to the forum and cannot vote yet, but #2, I prefer the RC rather than phone for the range
2016-12-21
Use props
Tom
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I've used it, it works well and sometimes its great just to grab the Mavic on its own and fly without the RC if you're say going walking somewhere with only pockets.  The RC is the weight and size of a spare battery and I'd rather take a battery.  It does disconnect if there is a lot of Wifi around, but in quiet areas its fine. I was used to the old Yuneec/Horizon camera drones that had a direct wifi connect to your phone so realise the range can be a lot less than with an RC.

I like the feature - it should be kept on the smaller drones I feel.
2016-12-21
Use props
M3NF
lvl.2
Flight distance : 49629 ft
United Kingdom

Not used it myself, thou i can see it being a handy feature for some, just I rather use the remote myself.
2016-12-21
Use props
Sun Diego
lvl.2
United States

Too much potential for interference, lose of control, etc... at least in Southern California.
2016-12-21
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules