Missing Satellite view in DJI Go 4.0 (Android)
1234Next >
7769 127 2016-12-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
s0
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153852 ft
United Kingdom

chasiu75 Posted at 2016-12-26 02:01
That is not the same issue. I know what my area looks like when working with HERE maps. It was very clear and detailed. I am sure that only applies to areas with poor imagery not down imagery.

When I look at HERE maps using Chrome on Windows they look reasonably sharp, nearly as good as Google maps

When I look using the HERE maps app from the Play store they look low-res just as in DJI GO

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.here.app.maps
2016-12-25
Use props
Ebi718
lvl.2
Flight distance : 202018 ft
United States

Anthony566 Posted at 2016-12-25 19:40
I can confirm going back to 3.0.1 does bring back google maps

Hello, do you have a link to version 3.0.1? If so, please share. Thanks.
2016-12-25
Use props
scottg9999
lvl.2

United States

Same issues on Note 5 and Nvidia Shield with extremely poor resolution on satellite maps in Lehigh Valley, PA when using DJI GO 4.  Typically a company may offer an inferior project at less expensive cost with an option to purchase a superior or upgraded product or feature.  In the case of Here Maps they are not even functional nor are we even given an option to have access to functional maps on the Andriod.  

I also see on the back of my long awaited for Mavic Pro, the box states "Made for iPhone."  Does this mean support for Andriod is secondary to IOS and get useable maps and the best/most reliable features we are encouraged to move the IOS?
2016-12-25
Use props
Grumps
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16610876 ft
United States

Here in CA, near Yosemite, using s7 with android 6.0.1. Have to zoom out just to see amorphous blobs. I thought the maps weren't loading until I zoomed WAY out and was able to identify CA. I didn't realize that when they said "Satellite View" they meant the view you would actually see if you sat on their satellite. Can't show this unprofessional crap to clients. BRING BACK GOOGLE MAPS.
2016-12-25
Use props
m1xzg
lvl.1

United Kingdom

chasiu75 Posted at 2016-12-26 02:01
That is not the same issue. I know what my area looks like when working with HERE maps. It was very clear and detailed. I am sure that only applies to areas with poor imagery not down imagery.

Perhaps.  I've never used Here maps since Google gives me no reason at all to ever switch, but every other map supplier for my area is awesome, just Here sucks.  I really hope DJI reverse this horrible decision to use such an inferior solution.
2016-12-26
Use props
m1xzg
lvl.1

United Kingdom

As we've not seen anyone from DJI responding here I think it's time that EVERYONE send them support emails directly!

I've sent the following to them, I suggest everyone send something similar so they can understand the gravity of the situation:

"Since the lastest updates of these apps and the decision to switch from Google Maps to Here Maps the app has become appalling!!!  The quality of the satellite maps is completely and totally useless.  I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S7 (SM-G930F) with Android 6.0.1 (stock ROM from Samsung).   There are a number of threads on the forums about this issue but as yet we've had NO response from anyone from DJI.  This is a very serious issue with the application and a serious degradation to it's functionality.  According to some it seems to be mostly ok on iPhones but EVERYONE on Android suffers with completely useless satellite views.   I've also installed Here We Go maps from the Playstore onto my device and get the same problem.  This is not an issue with my connectivity or my device, it seems to be EVERY android device if you look at the forum responses (http://forum.dji.com/thread-77041-1-1.html).

This issue needs to be resolved immediately as it makes flying that much more difficult by not being able to see the area around the drone from the satellite images.   BRING BACK GOOGLE MAPS!!!!  Or, give us the ability to choose which map provider we wish to use!"
2016-12-26
Use props
s0
lvl.4
United Kingdom

m1xzg Posted at 2016-12-26 08:40
As we've not seen anyone from DJI responding here I think it's time that EVERYONE send them support emails directly!

I've sent the following to them, I suggest everyone send something similar so they can understand the gravity of the situation:

Good idea.

As HERE's satellite maps work on windows/chrome, but their own satellite map app is not working on android, it seems that it may be a problem with the HERE android API.

I suggest everyone also install HERE app and send error notifications to HERE from within the app to make sure that HERE realise that they have a problem to fix. (DJI also have a problem to fix, the problem of connecting DJI GO to a functional mapping system and HERE does not seem to fall in that category)
2016-12-26
Use props
Peter Galbavy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 545377 ft
United Kingdom

"Here" maps are probably much cheaper for DJI to use - for those who think Google Maps and others are free, they are not. They are free for personal use but companies that want to use the API or data in an app or on a website have to pay good money based on accesses/month etc. That said, DJI are being cheap and given the price and margins on these products they shouldn't really be trying to save cents/user here.

My experiences with Android echo many otehrs above, where parts of map draw others are just green/grey blobs. But even those areas that do draw in some level of detail are appalling in this day and age.

As an example, I went to the web interfaces of the two and checked my home at the highest level of detail I could zoom into:
"Somewhere but not HERE" map:

"Here" map detail

"Here" map detail

Google map:

Google map detail

Google map detail

2016-12-26
Use props
Sparkgap
lvl.1
Flight distance : 364360 ft
United States

I just got a Phantom 4 Pro+. This Satellite mapping issue exists even with DJI's own Android device mounted to the controller!
2016-12-26
Use props
seeker_ktf_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 218474 ft
United States

Peter Galbavy,

I would be extremely happy with that view at this point.  Here is the hospital area on the West Side of Houston from the HereWeGo app.  It's the same view from the DJI Go4 app.  I just didn't want to amke screenshots when flying!

And on top of everything else, the streets doesn't actually match the photo, at least for my phone...

HereWeGo app

HereWeGo app
2016-12-26
Use props
s0
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Sparkgap Posted at 2016-12-26 14:16
I just got a Phantom 4 Pro+. This Satellite mapping issue exists even with DJI's own Android device mounted to the controller!

That's good news! That means DJI have to fix the android maps issue - they can't say to use only iOS devices!!
2016-12-26
Use props
TBerrigan
lvl.1

United States

Yeah all of their imagery where I live is at least 5-6 years old and extremely low resolution. Looks like google maps from 10 years ago. There is an entire development in my neighborhood built 4 years ago not even showing on the maps. What a joke... HERE maps obviously paid DJI to use their product and ditch Google, this is totally unacceptable.
2016-12-26
Use props
fanseb85c303
lvl.3

United States

Can you update aircraft firmware with lower version of the go app?
2016-12-26
Use props
fansf23c3e7e
lvl.2
United States

I called DJI (California) this afternoon (EST). I was number 28 on the cue.  I was going to try my best to get some answers:  Was DJI aware of the problem?  Were they going to fix it?  When were they going to fix it?  What could I do to help that process?  A DJI representative answered.  I talked with this DJI representative (after a one and one-half hour wait on hold, which was to be expected the day after Christmas), and then I was transferred to his supervisor.  The supervisor was not aware of the problem.  He put me on hold and then came back, after talking to his superiors, and stated that DJI did change the maps, and they were working on it.  So...I don't know how long it's going to take to fix it.  He said that it should be corrected quickly.  He typed in a report to send to the "upper office."  I do know that if as many people as possible call, or in some way let DJI know that we are experiencing a problem viewing maps: (Satellite View is just a green screen, which means the Hybrid View is just the standard view on a green background, instead of a white background), that this will help DJI know that this is a universal problem.  I am encouraged to hear, from a previous post, #89, that the Phantom 4 Pro, with the ANDROID screen included on the controller, also has the same problem.  I would think that this is very unacceptable to DJI, and they would have to correct this problem with the Phantom 4 Pro that has the included android screen on the controller!  I have about 1 week left to return my new DJI Phantom 4 with a full refund.  I need to know something by then, or my Phantom 4, which I have not flown yet because of this problem, will be returned.  Let's let DJI know that "We have a problem, Huston."  Hopefully, we will get a response!   
2016-12-26
Use props
Anthony566
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2488944 ft
United Kingdom

Just go back to DJI GO 3.0.1 and you will have google maps back ....
2016-12-26
Use props
River One
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7691722 ft
  • >>>
United States

m1xzg Posted at 2016-12-26 00:40

This issue has the makings of one hell of a class action law suit as well as a bundle of liability issues for both DJI and the pilots.. signed (licensed attorney in three states) DJI, only a moron would fly this bird with and Android  and faulting mapping, and you damn well know it!
2016-12-26
Use props
m1xzg
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Anthony566 Posted at 2016-12-27 02:22

That is one temp solution, but as you'll have to download the APK from untrusted sources that is your first risk, then there is the lack of improvements and enhancements to the app (aside from this crappy map issue).  It's too much risk for me and really should be for most people.
2016-12-27
Use props
NickRno77
lvl.2
Flight distance : 95502 ft
United Kingdom

fansf23c3e7e Posted at 2016-12-27 01:53
I called DJI (California) this afternoon (EST). I was number 28 on the cue.  I was going to try my best to get some answers:  Was DJI aware of the problem?  Were they going to fix it?  When were they going to fix it?  What could I do to help that process?  A DJI representative answered.  I talked with this DJI representative (after a one and one-half hour wait on hold, which was to be expected the day after Christmas), and then I was transferred to his supervisor.  The supervisor was not aware of the problem.  He put me on hold and then came back, after talking to his superiors, and stated that DJI did change the maps, and they were working on it.  So...I don't know how long it's going to take to fix it.  He said that it should be corrected quickly.  He typed in a report to send to the "upper office."  I do know that if as many people as possible call, or in some way let DJI know that we are experiencing a problem viewing maps: (Satellite View is just a green screen, which means the Hybrid View is just the standard view on a green background, instead of a white background), that this will help DJI know that this is a universal problem.  I am encouraged to hear, from a previous post, #89, that the Phantom 4 Pro, with the ANDROID screen included on the controller, also has the same problem.  I would think that this is very unacceptable to DJI, and they would have to correct this problem with the Phantom 4 Pro that has the included android screen on the controller!  I have about 1 week left to return my new DJI Phantom 4 with a full refund.  I need to know something by then, or my Phantom 4, which I have not flown yet because of this problem, will be returned.  Let's let DJI know that "We have a problem, Huston."  Hopefully, we will get a response!

It's nothing to do with DJI other than they chose  to use HERE Maps. Hopefully they've got enough power and influence to put pressure on HERE Maps to fix the problem if not they'll have to find another Map provider I.e. Google Maps.
2016-12-27
Use props
Flight Raptor
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3014675 ft
  • >>>
United States

NickRno77 Posted at 2016-12-28 01:18
It's nothing to do with DJI other than they chose  to use HERE Maps. Hopefully they've got enough power and influence to put pressure on HERE Maps to fix the problem if not they'll have to find another Map provider I.e. Google Maps.

Well...I may disagree on this one.  It has EVERYTHING to do with DJI b/c they made the ridiculous and fatal mistake of moving away from the largest map provider on earth...google.
2016-12-27
Use props
4wd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 545817 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This is near me zoomed out to about 5 miles from side to side - not much to go on there.
I'm near some green blobs and some brown blobs are not far away.
(Samsung S5, latest DJIGo4)

2016-12-27
Use props
River One
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

4wd Posted at 2016-12-27 13:34
This is near me zoomed out to about 5 miles from side to side - not much to go on there.
I'm near some green blobs and some brown blobs are not far away.
(Samsung S5, latest DJIGo4)

Only a moron would even start the engines with such pathetic mapping .. DJI before I send the Mavic back home .. do you intend to address this issue.. as you head seems to be in the sand for a week now?
2016-12-27
Use props
chasiu75
lvl.3
Flight distance : 154885 ft
United States

River One Posted at 2016-12-28 12:17
Only a moron would even start the engines with such pathetic mapping .. DJI before I send the Mavic back home .. do you intend to address this issue.. as you head seems to be in the sand for a week now?

Someone from DJI was responding at first too this thread to let me know that they could not duplicate the issue. But now that more people chimed in it has been silence.
2016-12-27
Use props
NickRno77
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Its strange why there are so few replies, I'm sure this problem is on all Android Devices. Maybe there only a few that use Android?
2016-12-28
Use props
4wd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 545817 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

NickRno77 Posted at 2016-12-28 10:17
Its strange why there are so few replies, I'm sure this problem is on all Android Devices. Maybe there only a few that use Android?

Seems unlikely since there are far more Android devices being used for everything else.
If you look at Here maps on your computer there isn't much to worry about though it might be a couple of years older.
Mine is just unusable on a Nexus 7 and Samsung S5 so it must be most Android devices having issues - including the Phantom 4 Pro inbuilt tablet thing.
If you have roads nearby it's not quite so bad if you switch off the satellite view.
2016-12-28
Use props
s0
lvl.4
United Kingdom

If you look at the HERE android App (download from Google Play) it has the same problem - it isn't just the DJI Android App, it is HERE's own Android App as well, which is why I suggested earlier that it may be a problem in the HERE API (its own App presumably uses its Android API)

I emailed DJI support, they replied asking for screenshots, I sent them screenshots, and they replied saying they are escalating to engineering.

I also emailed support for the HERE Android app but have had no response so far.

2016-12-28
Use props
Mullheliflier
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12305135 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

s0 Posted at 2016-12-28 13:15
If you look at the HERE android App (download from Google Play) it has the same problem - it isn't just the DJI Android App, it is HERE's own Android App as well, which is why I suggested earlier that it may be a problem in the HERE API (its own App presumably uses its Android API)

I emailed DJI support, they replied asking for screenshots, I sent them screenshots, and they replied saying they are escalating to engineering.

Satellite view gone from mine too, very disappointing.
2016-12-28
Use props
endlezzdrifter
New

United States

Samsung S6 non edge version, latest android firmware, latest DJiGO app for Mavic Pro. Satellite imagery is green smears and as NEVER shown any detailed image whatsoever. Let down :-(
2016-12-28
Use props
MavicUser
lvl.3
Flight distance : 431417 ft
Canada

I was using DJI GO 3.0.1 when the DJI Go 4 maps were stuck at "Home" point and did not follow the aircraft, but found that all the short cut buttons no longer worked if you updated the firmware to 1.03 and above.... i.e. C1 focus the camera at center did not work... It just brought up the camera configuration screen..  I had C2 to selected to bring up the battery screen, but this also just brought up the camera configuration screen.   The 5 way button to switch to portrait mode, point forward/down, zoom in/out no longer worked and did absolutely nothing when pressed.

Without the shortcuts, I switched to the latest version of DJI Go 4, and found that the map now followed the aircraft, but like everyone else, the map was simply a green/brown coloured mass... No clear view of anything at all... Hope DJI fixes this asap..
2016-12-28
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've forwarded this thread to R&D, I only have IOS devices so I cannot see for myself.
Hopefully there will be a remedy for Android users.
2016-12-28
Use props
River One
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

MavicUser Posted at 2016-12-28 06:34
I was using DJI GO 3.0.1 when the DJI Go 4 maps were stuck at "Home" point and did not follow the aircraft, but found that all the short cut buttons no longer worked if you updated the firmware to 1.03 and above.... i.e. C1 focus the camera at center did not work... It just brought up the camera configuration screen..  I had C2 to selected to bring up the battery screen, but this also just brought up the camera configuration screen.   The 5 way button to switch to portrait mode, point forward/down, zoom in/out no longer worked and did absolutely nothing when pressed.

Without the shortcuts, I switched to the latest version of DJI Go 4, and found that the map now followed the aircraft, but like everyone else, the map was simply a green/brown coloured mass... No clear view of anything at all... Hope DJI fixes this asap..

I tried to fly this morning again .. and nothing worth using in the map department ..some roads .. scary for any long flights.. and now the assistant 2 vision calibration is not working and there I have contacted DJI and they wish to research it .. now I have many reasons to find a new hoppy..
2016-12-28
Use props
Griffith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

Aside from the fact that the HERE maps are several years old and lack the resolution of Google maps, there may be an app issue related to retrieving the maps.

Here's a possible scenerio:
Most mapping software (even Google) loads maps in layers of increasing resolution based on the position and view-height (viewing aperture).  This is evident when moving the viewing aperture to a new area (in any mapping program).  The app may be constantly asking for new resolution layers and those requests may be interrupted before completed.  If those requests are cached before being completed, the app may (incorrectly) see the incomplete cache (lower resolution layers) and, thinking it already has that completed view, not request a refresh. This process is often used in cell apps to reduce data usage.

If that is the case, the remedy would be to someway delete the cache and force a reload.  This may not be an easy task on a cellphone app, since app caches are often obscurely hidden.  May be worth a try for someone to look for it and delete.
EDIT:  If someone wants to give it a try: On android devices  Settings > Storage >Miscellaneous > .here-maps   or Settings > Storage > Cached data
2016-12-28
Use props
BillWilliamson
New
Flight distance : 28255 ft
United States

Anthony566 Posted at 2016-12-26 19:22

How do you go back to 3.0.1?
2016-12-28
Use props
NickRno77
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Well it looks like all is goodish again

Fixed

Fixed
2016-12-28
Use props
River One
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

NickRno77 Posted at 2016-12-28 14:15
Well it looks like all is goodish again

Well I will be I just fell off my chair .. DJI seems to be listening to us .. as both my DJI Go and GO 4 mapping is back up .. please check and let me know am I dreaming?
2016-12-28
Use props
chasiu75
lvl.3
Flight distance : 154885 ft
United States

For my area they restored a very very old aerial view. It is not the same one that they used before that was much more recent. Temporary patch I hope. Better then nothing but really looks bad.
2016-12-28
Use props
Mr. Mongo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1348 ft
United States

Why did they switch to HERE?  Facebook did the same and their mapping sucks big time compared to Google Maps.
2016-12-28
Use props
s0
lvl.4
United Kingdom

For me too the HERE satellite maps are now showing up in DJI GO 3.1.1

There were a lot of areas not working, perhaps because I had cached faulty map tiles. I cleared them like this:

- uninstall DJI GO from my Nexus

- using an Android file manager I navigated to Internal Memory > DJI > dji.pilot and deleted the folder .HEREMAP

- reinstall DJI GO 3.1.1

The HERE satellite maps are now showing much more detail than before, though not as much as Google satellite view. The contrast is poor, with a greenish cast, so they may be difficult to use in sunlight.

2016-12-29
Use props
MavicUser
lvl.3
Flight distance : 431417 ft
Canada

Here maps are also working for me, but looks like they are at least 4 - 5 years out of date, and the resolution still isn't as good as Google Maps when zoomed in...
2016-12-29
Use props
fansf23c3e7e
lvl.2
United States

Comment  #59, #74, #94   I now have HERE maps in Satellite / Hybrid View!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   They are not as detailed as Google when zoomed in.  They are out-of-date.  BUT THERE IS SOMETHING TO VIEW!!!!!!!!!  I don't have to take back my new Phantom 4!  I can fly it now!  My thanks to DJI and all who "voiced" their concern to correct this problem!!!!  My request is that DJI go back to Google, because Google is the superior map.  I'm glad to have something, but with DJI having the BEST DRONES, DJI should have the BEST MAPS!!!!!  Hope this is just a temporary solution for now. Thanks DJI for working on this problem.  Please continue.......
2016-12-29
Use props
River One
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

fansf23c3e7e Posted at 2016-12-29 14:10
Comment  #59, #74, #94   I now have HERE maps in Satellite / Hybrid View!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   They are not as detailed as Google when zoomed in.  They are out-of-date.  BUT THERE IS SOMETHING TO VIEW!!!!!!!!!  I don't have to take back my new Phantom 4!  I can fly it now!  My thanks to DJI and all who "voiced" their concern to correct this problem!!!!  My request is that DJI go back to Google, because Google is the superior map.  I'm glad to have something, but with DJI having the BEST DRONES, DJI should have the BEST MAPS!!!!!  Hope this is just a temporary solution for now. Thanks DJI for working on this problem.  Please continue.......

Same here I'm unpacking my Mavic and my I1.. mapping sure not what it was but at least I will fly in the morning .
2016-12-29
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules