CAMERA GIMBLE KEEPS FLIPPING UP AND DOWN!!!
6344 26 2016-12-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Svt04cobra
lvl.2
United States

I'm a new drone owner and this is my first major drone purchase. I've flown now 4 times, every time without any issues. I just purchased a new battery and charging pack from my local hobby shop. Everything was charged 100% prior to flying, and there was no warnings or failures on the DJI go 4 app on my Ipad air 2. After flying for 20 plus min, I got the battery warning, so I brought it back and changed out the battery. After turning on the Phantom 4 pro, the camera gimble did its normal up and down movement, but never stopped this time. I called support, they walked me through doing an IMU calibration, the camera gimble calibration which failed, then forced a firmware update of the phantom 3 pro via the SD card, then tried to do another gimble calibration which failed. Now i'm going to call my local hobby company to see if they can do anything before I mail this $1500 Drone back!!! This SUCKS DJI. I had no crashes, hard landings, or any other issues with the Drone until now!!!!!
2016-12-20
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha cobra,

You may have not crashed or had a hard landing, but from what you have written - and they may be typos - is that you are trying to run P4 Pro and P3 Pro firmware and apps in a very incompatible way.  That can be worse than a crash because you are basically crashing one or two computers in your flying network.

You need to settle down.  You only have yourself to blame for your problem and so you have to solve your problem for yourself.  But, we are here to help you help yourself.

Now reread what you wrote so we can try to understand what you have done.  There was limited overlap between the P3P and P3A and the P4, but all that changed with the P4 Pro.  There is no overlap at all and trying to mix them can cause you no end of problems.

It looks like you purchased a new P4 Series battery that was never updated.  You then appeared to try to use a completely incompatible P3P firmware update to fix things and that is what screwed everything up.

Now, after you clarify things for us, we can try to walk your system back to factory defaults and then forward again to the current technology.  Hopefully you have a computer available so you can use DJI Assistant 2.  But, we need to know what you have done to your system to screw thins up so much.  Then we can help you.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-12-20
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hello Svt04cobra, please try to hold the camera to reach its rotation limit and check whether self-check is successful.
If yes, the product can be used normally.
This issue will be fixed in the next firmware version.
2016-12-21
Use props
Svt04cobra
lvl.2
United States

Ok so I mailed my Drone back to DJI for repair. Let me just clarify, When I received my P4P it required me to do an update of firmware on both the remote and the drone. Both were successful. I have had 4 other perfect flights with no issues. When I called DJI support, they walked me through various calibrations which did not work. Then Support had me download the P3P firmware to install. They knew I had a P4P but had me do this. It did not help my camera issue and I did not try and fly my P4P with the P3P firmware. I packed up my drone and remote and shipped it back. ITS BRAND NEW AND I SHOULD NOT OF HAD AN ISSUES. I can understand if I had a hard landing, crashed, or had some kind of a software/firmware corruption. I'm a computer network engineer so I know things happen, but the tech said its most likely a hardware failure.
2016-12-22
Use props
Svt04cobra
lvl.2
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2016-12-21 00:56
Aloha cobra,

You may have not crashed or had a hard landing, but from what you have written - and they may be typos - is that you are trying to run P4 Pro and P3 Pro firmware and apps in a very incompatible way.  That can be worse than a crash because you are basically crashing one or two computers in your flying network.

Thanks for trying to help but I may have confused you by saying I'm new drone owner. I'm a computer network engineer, not a maroon. Everything I did, I was instructed by YOUR TECH SUPPORT PERSONEL. Thanks again, but I mailed everything back to DJI for analysis. It appears to be a hardware failure. Stinks that a $1500 drone has a mechanical failure but crap happens I guess!!
2016-12-22
Use props
Svt04cobra
lvl.2
United States

Not happy to see other folks having the same issue. Mine was not hitting the ribbon cable and downgrading the firmware did not work. I will let everyone know what I find out. Mine is arriving at DJI today!!!!
2016-12-29
Use props
Hendo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 104495 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

If you are a network engineer, you must know that hardware manufacturing processes never yield 100%. There will always be the odd issue get through quality control. Unfortunately you got a unit that is defective from new. It will be covered under warranty, yes its frustration having to send it back but that's life. DJI are no different to Cisco, HP,  Juniper etc. No use bashing DJI until you allow them time to remedy the issue.
2016-12-29
Use props
Svt04cobra
lvl.2
United States

Hendo Posted at 2016-12-29 14:30
If you are a network engineer, you must know that hardware manufacturing processes never yield 100%. There will always be the odd issue get through quality control. Unfortunately you got a unit that is defective from new. It will be covered under warranty, yes its frustration having to send it back but that's life. DJI are no different to Cisco, HP,  Juniper etc. No use bashing DJI until you allow them time to remedy the issue.

Not bashing anyone and most new models of anything have issues. I would expect minor glitches, that's what firmware updates are for. Not manufactures defects from the beginning. That's called quality control. It appears I was one of the first of many manufacture defects as you call it.
2016-12-29
Use props
Svt04cobra
lvl.2
United States

Just to give everyone an update. DJI has my P4P as it arrived today for repair. They have not had a chance to look at it yet. I will be reaching out to support tomorrow for a further update.
2016-12-29
Use props
RoadmasterD
lvl.1
Flight distance : 188527 ft
United States

Good luck, keep us updated.
2016-12-29
Use props
Svt04cobra
lvl.2
United States

Here is the newest update. I did not talk directly to support yet but I received an invoice for $281 which is being covered under warranty. They are replacing the camera main board for $216 and 1 hour labor of $65. Anyone else that has this issue and the ribbon cable is not rubbing I would not waste time waiting on an internet solution. Send it in and have it repaired under warranty. When I call tomorrow I'll try and find out more info like how many they have repaired with this issue, what happens if this same issue happens again, etc.
2016-12-30
Use props
ePetLicensing.c
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Svt04cobra Posted at 2016-12-29 14:43
Not bashing anyone and most new models of anything have issues. I would expect minor glitches, that's what firmware updates are for. Not manufactures defects from the beginning. That's called quality control. It appears I was one of the first of many manufacture defects as you call it.

Got  a brand new E 400 Mercedes ($78,000), and guess what??? I had to returned 2 month after 4 times trying to repair the same issue with NO avail...

So yes quality control or NOT, you will still have few that sneak out of the line but at least with DJI they stand behind and repair or exchange...
2016-12-30
Use props
Svt04cobra
lvl.2
United States

ePetLicensing.c Posted at 2016-12-30 21:39
Got  a brand new E 400 Mercedes ($78,000), and guess what??? I had to returned 2 month after 4 times trying to repair the same issue with NO avail...

So yes quality control or NOT, you will still have few that sneak out of the line but at least with DJI they stand behind and repair or exchange...

Not a very good example. If you look on the forums, there is a lot with this issue not a few that sneaked out of the line. We shall see how they handle it.  
2017-1-2
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It seems to be firmware related, post No3 mentions that it will be sorted in the next firmware update.
2017-1-2
Use props
Svt04cobra
lvl.2
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-1-2 15:45
It seems to be firmware related, post No3 mentions that it will be sorted in the next firmware update.

Not at all in my case. They are replacing the Camera main board for $216.00.
2017-1-2
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Svt04cobra Posted at 2017-1-2 15:55
Not at all in my case. They are replacing the Camera main board for $216.00.

It will be interesting to see whether you get the same machine back, the normal procedure (for other models)just seems to be to send a refurbished unit in return.

Thanks for the updates.
2017-1-2
Use props
Svt04cobra
lvl.2
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-1-2 16:00
It will be interesting to see whether you get the same machine back, the normal procedure (for other models)just seems to be to send a refurbished unit in return.

Thanks for the updates.

So far, from the info DJI emailed me, they are repairing my unit. I'm not sure why they would make me wait 3-5 business days to repair mine, if they end up sending me a refurbished one. I will be very interested as well. I have the serial number so I supposed they won't remove my S/N and put it on a refurbished P4P.
2017-1-2
Use props
Svt04cobra
lvl.2
United States

Here is the latest info from DJI. I just hung up the phone with them. First let me answer the question of weather or not you get a refurbished P4P or your own repaired. After they deem your Drone covered under warranty, they will repair your drone and send it back. When I was talking to the representative, she told me they were waiting on the Camera main board and did not have an ETA. I then asked if it was going to take an extended time. She told me after another 24 hours, I could call back, and if they still did not know how long it would be for parts, I could have them send me a refurbished Drone. I explained that would not work for me as mine had less then 2 hours and 4 flights. I asked about a refund and she said that was an option but to give them another 24 to 48 hours. Because of the fact I had no other issues besides the camera gimbal, (no fly awes) and just love this bird I'm going to wait it out until at least the end of the week. If DJI still can't tell me how long it will be before I get mine repaired, i'll be looking to get my money back which is very depressing.
2017-1-2
Use props
BeamMeUpScotty
lvl.2
Flight distance : 20446 ft
United States

Oh man mine does this like every other flight.  I usually can turn it off one or two times and reload the battery and then it starts working.
2017-1-2
Use props
airspace_media
lvl.3
Flight distance : 190 ft
Australia

THIS VIDEO WILL FIX IT FOR YOU

downgrade firmware
2017-1-2
Use props
CCrew
lvl.3
Flight distance : 41568 ft
United States

Svt04cobra Posted at 2016-12-22 06:48
Thanks for trying to help but I may have confused you by saying I'm new drone owner. I'm a computer network engineer, not a maroon. Everything I did, I was instructed by YOUR TECH SUPPORT PERSONEL. Thanks again, but I mailed everything back to DJI for analysis. It appears to be a hardware failure. Stinks that a $1500 drone has a mechanical failure but crap happens I guess!!

I'm a computer systems engineer, but that doesn't mean I know everything there is to know about drones. I'm a magenta though, and not a maroon either.  So tell me, what part of a Cisco router does a Network Engineer launch a drone from, I'm curious?
2017-1-2
Use props
Svt04cobra
lvl.2
United States

CCrew Posted at 2017-1-2 21:19
I'm a computer systems engineer, but that doesn't mean I know everything there is to know about drones. I'm a magenta though, and not a maroon either.  So tell me, what part of a Cisco router does a Network Engineer launch a drone from, I'm curious?

I'm not sure what language your speaking but apparently it isn't English. Can you show me where I mentioned anywhere, anything about a cisco router? You did quote me so can you explain?
2017-1-3
Use props
ePetLicensing.c
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Svt04cobra Posted at 2017-1-2 14:48
Not a very good example. If you look on the forums, there is a lot with this issue not a few that sneaked out of the line. We shall see how they handle it.

Yes but what is the percentage of drones with issues compare to drone sold with no issues like mine and others, maybe one in a zillion.

But again DJI stands behind their products and repair or exchange. I don't know how many people returned and exchanges even though it was the operator's fault (AM NOT INCLUDING YOU..) or all the returns thru Apple store which customers admits that did NOT know they are doing and damaged the drone and still was returned.

I don't see any other company having suck easy return policy!!
2017-1-3
Use props
Svt04cobra
lvl.2
United States

ePetLicensing.c Posted at 2017-1-3 09:37
Yes but what is the percentage of drones with issues compare to drone sold with no issues like mine and others, maybe one in a zillion.

But again DJI stands behind their products and repair or exchange. I don't know how many people returned and exchanges even though it was the operator's fault (AM NOT INCLUDING YOU..) or all the returns thru Apple store which customers admits that did NOT know they are doing and damaged the drone and still was returned.

It is very good DJI stands behind their products. With the number of people having issues, (check forums) it's more apparent then one in a zillion. So far I have been happy with the response from support. We will see what the resolution will end up being.
2017-1-3
Use props
Svt04cobra
lvl.2
United States

HERE IS THE LATEST UPDATE....... My P4P has been repaired. They replaced the main camera board. (Hardware Failure) I should have my drone back in about 10 days. I'll let everyone know how it works after repair.
2017-1-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Svt04cobra Posted at 2017-1-4 10:23
HERE IS THE LATEST UPDATE....... My P4P has been repaired. They replaced the main camera board. (Hardware Failure) I should have my drone back in about 10 days. I'll let everyone know how it works after repair.

Good job, hope all works out.
2017-1-4
Use props
Svt04cobra
lvl.2
United States

So DJI pulled a fast one on me but in a good way. When I started looking at the email they sent me with the tracking info, the serial number on the Aircraft DJI was shipping back to me was different from the serial number of the aircraft I shipped to DJI. So I called again. After an hour on hold, then being put on hold to confirm the aircraft being shipped was new and not refurbished, I was told it was new! Kind of scared me because I called 2 days prior and was told my options were repair, refurbished, refund. Evidentially there is an issue with getting parts since this is so new. I was told 2 days ago that they were waiting on the main camera board. Glad it worked out as I was not going to take a refurbished drone! I'll let everyone know how it works out next week when I get my new P4P! Anyone sending in their aircraft should check the serial numbers closely.  
2017-1-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules