Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
MY iPHONE 6 is CHARGING the CONTROLLER!!
3045 17 2016-12-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tonold
New

United States

I've read about the battery issues with the iPhone 6's and the DJI Go app when flying the Mavic (http://forum.dji.com/thread-16028-1-1.html).
Well, I just upgraded to an iPhone 6 myself and it looked like I was encountering the same problems - my phone battery dies after about 30 minutes of flying. But today I noticed I might be having a different issue than the one described in that thread above.

I was using the most up-to-date version of the DJI Go App before, and I was assuming this was a problem with the app, so I thought I would try using other applications to avoid the problem. I tried an older version of the DJI Go App (3.0.2) I had saved on my computer. I tried the DJI Go 4 app. I tried Litchi App. In all instances, my phone's battery died in less than an hour of flying. It was just after my most recent testing session that I noticed: The Controller's battery was at 100% after 20 minutes of flying!!!!!! (and my phone's battery had dropped from 96% to 23%).

THE PHONE IS CHARGING THE CONTROLLER.

Why is this happening? There has to be some mistake in the current software for the controller that makes it recognize the iPhone 6 as a power source. The controller then sucks the phone dry (the controller should be the one charging the phone).

I don't know if I'm the only one with this issue. Perhaps this is really the problem being had by other iPhone 6 users, maybe they've missed some of the signs and incorrectly diagnosed the problem. Perhaps it only happens sporadically, making it even harder to notice and further confusing the other issues people are having.

Regardless, this is something that needs to be fixed. I can't go out and film anything, because the phone doesn't last long enough to make the trip worth it without carrying multiple battery banks to recharge the phone.

Has anyone else noticed this issue? Has anyone heard from DJI about it? What can we do about it?
2016-12-21
Use props
FrequentFlyer
lvl.4
United States

Isnt there a recall on the iPhone6 battery's?
2016-12-21
Use props
dana5
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14354 ft
United States

FrequentFlyer Posted at 2016-12-22 02:31
Isnt there a recall on the iPhone6 battery's?

Feels like there should be a recall on the iPhone in general... But to each their own.
2016-12-21
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I do not think your phone is charging the RC. The RC says "Charging" if it's being charged.
You can test it by running the RC down a little, then connect your phone and see if your RC's charge % goes up.
If that is what's happening, please pst a video clip.
2016-12-21
Use props
FrequentFlyer
lvl.4
United States

dana5 Posted at 2016-12-21 10:39
Feels like there should be a recall on the iPhone in general... But to each their own.

No need for negativity, as your response is no help to the OP.  
2016-12-21
Use props
z4k4tt4ck
lvl.3
Flight distance : 535 ft
Australia

FrequentFlyer Posted at 2016-12-22 03:14
No need for negativity, as your response is no help to the OP.

No need for a response to negativity, as your response is no help to the OP.
2016-12-21
Use props
James L.
lvl.2
United States

I use iphone 7 plus and it went down 7% after about 15 minutes of flying flying today.
I started 100% and I was at 93%.

Edit: I checked the flight and it was 12 minutes.

2016-12-21
Use props
James L.
lvl.2
United States

When I had the P4, I used a ipad mini.  I remember it used less than 1% per minute of ipad battery.  It's been about the same with the Mavic and iphone.  

I still carry an external battery just in case.

I fly at the brightest screen setting.
2016-12-21
Use props
High Flyer
lvl.1
Flight distance : 944642 ft
United Kingdom

I thought I had an issue with my P4P as the controler power ran down too fast. Reason ? the controler is charging my ipad
2017-1-3
Use props
High Flyer
lvl.1
Flight distance : 944642 ft
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-21 10:48
I do not think your phone is charging the RC. The RC says "Charging" if it's being charged.
You can test it by running the RC down a little, then connect your phone and see if your RC's charge % goes up.
If that is what's happening, please pst a video clip.

My P4P RC is charging my iPad pro which really surprised me. Its also rather annoying as my RC is only lasting half as long as my P4 or P3P RC used to.
Question 1 is : Can I stop the RC charging my iPad ?
Question 2 is : Can I connect an external battery to my RC while flying to keep everything charged ?
2017-1-3
Use props
4wesomeAdam
lvl.4
United States

z4k4tt4ck Posted at 2016-12-21 11:21
No need for a response to negativity, as your response is no help to the OP.

No need to respond about a response to a negative response which is no help to the OP.
2017-1-3
Use props
Schwavic
lvl.3

United States

dana5 Posted at 2016-12-21 10:39

Meaningless, out of place blanket statement with nothing to back it up...  Makes sense.
2017-1-3
Use props
UtopianCrew
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5213 ft
United States

I don't have my problem. Are you plugging your device into the USB port on the bottom of the controller?
2017-1-3
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

High Flyer Posted at 2017-1-3 15:59
My P4P RC is charging my iPad pro which really surprised me. Its also rather annoying as my RC is only lasting half as long as my P4 or P3P RC used to.
Question 1 is : Can I stop the RC charging my iPad ?
Question 2 is : Can I connect an external battery to my RC while flying to keep everything charged ?

Do a test, fully charge the RC then power it on and plug the iPad in. You will see that if it charges it is a very low rate that does not take much power from the RC.
Test for 20-30 minutes with the iPad plugged in then unplugged and see the percentage difference the RC has after testing.
2017-1-3
Use props
UtopianCrew
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5213 ft
United States

I do not have these problems.
To help you, I have done some testing.

Using the side connector or bottom connector, the remote does not charge with the following devices:
iPhone 6
iPhone 6+
iPhone 6S

Hope this helps!
2017-1-4
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Philippines

Are you using cable supplied by DJI, or a different cable? Any chance you're using some kind of OTG cable that allows the iPhone to charge other devices? (I don't even know if it's possible)

Are you using the or bottom port on the RC? Try the other one and see what happens. Make sure to completely disconnect the cable from the side port if you're using the bottom port.

Is it extremely cold where you're flying? I think I've read of some iPhone 6 phones going dead in cold weather.
2017-1-4
Use props
fanse0c91dbf
lvl.1

Canada

I'm having the same issue with my phantom 4 ... the iPad is draining much faster than normal use .. (approximately 2 hrs of use drains to single didgets when connected to the RC) I also have a phantom 4 pro and this is not an issue the iPad remains topped up by the RC all day (approximately 6-8 hrs of flying causes the RC to drain 50% while my iPad remains 98-100% ) this has been an issue for me since the last updates. (Worked fine in January)
2017-2-21
Use props
alirz5
lvl.4
Flight distance : 609833 ft
Canada

off topic but i know for Android devices, the RC charges the phones. At least it does in my case. I have Nexus 6P USB C phone. and there seem to be no way to disable that.
I think we need data only cables, that dont have the pins in them to supply power!!! That ought to take care of this non sense of RC charging the phone...
2017-2-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules