Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Legally how much notice prior to flight?
1571 24 2016-12-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansca9280ea
lvl.4
Flight distance : 117405 ft
United States

If it's Monday and I plan to fly with a friend on Thursday, can I call all of the airports/heliports a few days in advance?
A week in advance?
How Far in advance is legal/illegal?
2016-12-21
Use props
trance728-
First Officer
Flight distance : 179738 ft
  • >>>
United States

Are you going to an area that you have to fly near an airport? Can you not drive a little bit away from it? Is it a really small airport?
2016-12-21
Use props
NomadRT
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1669012 ft
United States

In my mind it should be like a piloted aircraft.   The morning of (maybe an hour or half an hour prior) you call and inform them of your flight.    I haven't had to do it yet though so I don't know.
2016-12-21
Use props
fansca9280ea
lvl.4
United States

One of my favorite places to fly right by my house is near 2 active heli ports and 1 small airport.
It's very wide open over a lake but planes are frequently present.   It's the law to notify, the one guy who owns the heliport is cool and says I need to always give notice but I can text him when I want to fly
2016-12-21
Use props
stratosHD
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1231280 ft
Australia

If  were you I would avoid the area.  There are so many places that you can fly without issues.
Find a small park , even an unsued parking lot to fly around.

If you want some good scenery well, get out of the city, plan in advance and always check your local rules and regulations
2016-12-21
Use props
fansca9280ea
lvl.4
United States

Small park or unused parkin lot doesnt exempt me from notifying my local airports/heliports.
Any Mavic that goes in the air is in FAA airspace
2016-12-21
Use props
FrequentFlyer
Second Officer
United States

Some times its hard to get away from heliports or small airports especially if you live in heavily populated places. Like southern California.

A few weeks ago. I didnt plan on flying on a Sunday but ended up Flying and called each of the heliports in the area and all went to Voicemail so i left a message with my contact info and the area i was flying in and how long i was going to fly for. Never heard back from them.
2016-12-21
Use props
yHS0eU90xE7Q
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2313 ft
United States

A very good topic! I live on the fringe of a Class-D and a heli-port. Luckily it is on the fringe so yes, I can just drive a short distance and exit the zone.
2016-12-21
Use props
gibbd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18980 ft
United Kingdom

In the UK, I would say either the day before or the day of the flight.   9 times out of 10 they will say ok, unless they have specific reason to not allow it (ie operations or something where you plan to fly)
2016-12-22
Use props
NomadRT
Second Officer
United States

fansca9280ea Posted at 2016-12-21 23:28
Small park or unused parkin lot doesnt exempt me from notifying my local airports/heliports.
Any Mavic that goes in the air is in FAA airspace

Not true.   You only have to notify if you are within 5 miles of an airport.   In some areas everywhere is within five miles, but there are areas around me that are not.
Edit:  Re-read your message.  I think you are saying that where you live you are covered up with 'notify before fly' airspace.   In other words there are several airports around you and so you don't have areas close by that don't fall within the 5 mile radius.     Is that right?
2016-12-22
Use props
NomadRT
Second Officer
United States

Also in the US this is a 'notify' requirement, NOT an 'ask permission' requirement.    No airplanes should be operating under 400 feet unless they are on approach which would be in a no-fly zone.   

I'm lucky that my local airport, which I fall within 5 miles of, is closed after 5pm and on weekends.   lol
2016-12-22
Use props
rodger
Captain
Flight distance : 15812070 ft
  • >>>
United States

First you need to know what airspace you will be flying in. If you will be in controlled airspace you will need permission from ATC. If you are in "G" you will not need permission but you could call as a courtesy and they will put a notice on the Sectional giving the date and time period. You can do this almost any time prior to your flight preferably 24 hours in advance. When giving notice you will need to supply the Lat and Long of your flight area.
2016-12-22
Use props
fansca9280ea
lvl.4
United States

Yes I meant if your within the area of a port your in  "FAA airspace" I understand if your outside of the radius you are free to fly below the 400' ceiling..
Any given place I choose to fly there's at least 3 "notify before flying" if not more.
But, I will look at the weather and plan to fly on a certain day given my schedule.
I will play around in a field and track my kids sometimes, and stay below 100ft and be within .5 miles of myself and I never notify.. not sure if technically that's legal, but it falls within common sense,  so.... lol
2016-12-22
Use props
CAAirborne
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1174232 ft
United States

I fly in the US.  When I fly locally 1) in Class E airspace that has a floor of 700' AGL, and 2) within 5 miles of our local small airport, I call the airport manager (no control tower at this airport) with my flight plan, including time, location, and max altitude.  I'll also give him my name and cell phone number.  And I have sometimes done this just before flying... as in minutes before flying.  The manager usually says something like "thanks for letting us know" and may have a question or two.  But I have yet to be told "you can't fly" or "give us more lead time", etc.  But YMMV... I think I'm lucky to have a good airport manager to work with.
2016-12-22
Use props
Chukee_R
lvl.1

United States

Got to love living in large cities...

unnamed.png
2016-12-22
Use props
FrequentFlyer
Second Officer
United States

Chukee_R Posted at 2016-12-23 05:56
Got to love living in large cities...

Same, I live in Southern California! At least here is 98% of time sunny!
2016-12-22
Use props
Nimijneb
lvl.1

United States

I live within the radius of a a Class E airport. They have an online form for UAS flight. It usually takes them 3-4 days to respond but its just the same canned email every time. So I just keep filling out forms every time I think I'm going to fly around the neighborhood.
2016-12-22
Use props
DoctorRennie
lvl.4

United States

You cannot legally fly within 5 miles of an airport without written authorization by the FAA.  You must give them 90 days notice to be legal.
2016-12-22
Use props
fansca9280ea
lvl.4
United States

Not sure where that's in writing.. show me
2016-12-22
Use props
fR9icRPvLE3n
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11719 ft
United States

http://federaldroneregistration.com/

FAA rules for drone flight and registration.

You can use B4ufly app to notify local jurisdictions

2016-12-22
Use props
fR9icRPvLE3n
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11719 ft
United States

fansca9280ea Posted at 2016-12-22 15:35
Not sure where that's in writing.. show me

https://www.faa.gov/

This is the link to review faa regs and register your drone.
It is interesting.
You can download the B4Ufly app for more info and notifying your locality to flight plan.
2016-12-22
Use props
Doots
lvl.4
Flight distance : 682598 ft
United States

DoctorRennie Posted at 2016-12-22 15:49
You cannot legally fly within 5 miles of an airport without written authorization by the FAA.  You must give them 90 days notice to be legal.

Section 336 of Public Law 112-95
Says nothing of a 90 days notice requirement.

Where did you read the 90 days prior notice requirement?

SEC. 336. SPECIAL RULE FOR MODEL AIRCRAFT.
(a) IN GENERAL.—Notwithstanding any other provision of law
relating to the incorporation of unmanned aircraft systems into
Federal Aviation Administration plans and policies, including this
subtitle, the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration
may not promulgate any rule or regulation regarding a model
aircraft, or an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft, if—
(1) the aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational
use;
(2) the aircraft is operated in accordance with a community based
set of safety guidelines and within the programming
of a nationwide community-based organization;
(3) the aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds
unless otherwise certified through a design, construction,
inspection, flight test, and operational safety program administered
by a community-based organization;
(4) the aircraft is operated in a manner that does not
interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft; and
(5) when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator
of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport
air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located
at the airport) with prior notice of the operation (model aircraft
operators flying from a permanent location within 5 miles of
an airport should establish a mutually-agreed upon operating
procedure with the airport operator and the airport air traffic
control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the
airport)).
(b) STATUTORY CONSTRUCTION.—Nothing in this section shall
be construed to limit the authority of the Administrator to pursue
enforcement action against persons operating model aircraft who
endanger the safety of the national airspace system.
(c) MODEL AIRCRAFT DEFINED.—In this section, the term ‘‘model
aircraft’’ means an unmanned aircraft that is—
(1) capable of sustained flight in the atmosphere;
H. R. 658—68
(2) flown within visual line of sight of the person operating
the aircraft; and
(3) flown for hobby or recreational purposes.
2016-12-23
Use props
FrequentFlyer
Second Officer
United States

fR9icRPvLE3n Posted at 2016-12-22 21:28
https://www.faa.gov/

This is the link to review faa regs and register your drone.

There is no statement that you need to give a 90 day notice and need written permission.
2016-12-23
Use props
fansca9280ea
lvl.4
United States

90days written notice for every flight to every air/heliport would suck, I would find a new hobby..
2016-12-23
Use props
Highasakite
First Officer
Flight distance : 1423930 ft
United States

If you want to fly your SUAS within 5 Mi of an airport just call the tower, give them your FAA registration #, your general location to the airport, your MAX altitude, and how long you will be there and 9 times out of 10, they will be so happy that you called, that they will usually say yes, No problem, thanks for calling, enjoy the weather and have a nice day. A serious respect for ATC and the stressful job they do, a courtesy call really helps them do their jobs with less stress.
2016-12-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules