Android DJI Go 4 app version 4.0.1 released. How is it?
3472 34 2016-12-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
StigNygaard
lvl.4
Flight distance : 357169 ft
Denmark

Hi

I just see the DJI Go 4 app has been released in a new version 4.0.1 for Android.

Before trying it, I want to make sure we still have the original tap-to-autofocus option (single focus only, no continous focusing) ?
I understand the corresponding iOS app currently doesn't have the old autofocus mode any more, but only the manual and a new (semi-)continuous autofocusing mode. But I definetely don't want the camera to change focus in the middle of a recording.

Any other interesting things to say about the new app if anyone has tried it yet?
Cinematic mode? New color modes? Is Art still available? etc...

2016-12-22
Use props
trance728-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>
United States

I just updated, haven't tried it yet but I will shortly. I'll report back my findings.
2016-12-22
Use props
Drseussami
lvl.4
Flight distance : 108002 ft
United States

Satellite view STILL doesn't work in 4.0.1. How VERY disappointing! HERE maps is a dud. Time to switch back to Google Maps DJI.
2016-12-22
Use props
trance728-
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Ok, it is still tap to focus, I saw no signs of continous focusing happening. The color modes are now named correctly, no Art mode and they did not add the Cinematic mode (edit: it's a flight mode, not a color mode so it is there) sure why. I haven't evaluated the other ones yet but here are images of what modes are available. As Drsuessami mentioned, the here maps satellite view is useless, not sure why they even let you use it, the other images I posted are from the satellite view.
Screenshot_20161222-100044.png
Screenshot_20161222-100052.png
Screenshot_20161222-100024.png
Screenshot_20161222-095819.png
2016-12-22
Use props
StigNygaard
lvl.4
Flight distance : 357169 ft
Denmark

trance728- Posted at 2016-12-22 17:07
Ok, it is still tap to focus, I saw no signs of continous focusing happening. The color modes are now named correctly, no Art mode and they did not add the Cinematic mode, not sure why. I haven't evaluated the other ones yet but here are images of what modes are available. As Drsuessami mentioned, the here maps satellite view is useless, not sure why they even let you use it, the other images I posted are from the satellite view.

Great, thanks for update. Strange Cinematic mode is not to be found, it is mentioned in the Whats New section:

What's New
Added support for Inspire 2:
- Added support for PIP image transmission
- Added Spotlight Pro Mode
- Added Master and Slave coordination and broadcast mode
Mavic:
- Added Cinematic Mode for more stable video shooting
General:
- Improved user experience
- Improved user interface in Editor
2016-12-22
Use props
dana5
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14354 ft
United States

This new version seems to have all of the same bugs... Looks like they added new features, without fixing any issues from the previous. The release notes make no mention of bug fixes.

If I open it in landscape on my Nexus 6p, it blows up, just as before. You still have to open in portrait, and then turn the phone after. Sad that they can't fix this on a top end Android phone running an unaltered version of the latest Android OS. I recently upgraded from Android Nougat 7.0 to 7.1.1, and DJI GO still blows up. DJI really needs to fix this OBVIOUS bug, which is clearly caused by the aspect ratio and scaling of the phone being in landscape mode.

I have been working as a software developer for 23 years now, and programming for 27. I hate to stereotype Chinese developers, but as they say... Stereotypes come from somewhere!

I have confidence that they will eventually fix the issues. I am sure the bug is logged, but it's probably a lower priority than other things they are fixing. You have to first fix the bugs that effect everyone, not the bugs that effect a single phone make or model.
2016-12-22
Use props
trance728-
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

StigNygaard Posted at 2016-12-22 10:35
Great, thanks for update. Strange Cinematic mode is not to be found, it is mentioned in the Whats New section:

What's New

Edit.  I wasn't aware the Cinematic mode was a flight mode so it is in there, thought it was a color mode.  
2016-12-22
Use props
bighi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 47455053 ft
  • >>>
Austria

Noticed a new center gimbal option. Also the HD icon blinks now. I'll mess around with it more to see what I find.
2016-12-22
Use props
trance728-
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

bighi Posted at 2016-12-22 11:15
Noticed a new center gimbal option. Also the HD icon blinks now. I'll mess around with it more to see what I find.

The center gimbal option only appears to do the same thing as the 5d button option to change the gimbal forward/down. I don't think it changes the leveling at all.
2016-12-22
Use props
boostedford
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144478 ft
United States

So i did a whole battery flight to test android app stability. I onlt had one app crash. The app freezed, and the screen took 2 minutes to turn off and on before it would let me do anything. To reopen the app i had to disconnect and reconnect the wire to get it to reconnect. Then i had pretty bad image transmission. I was maybe 50-80 feet away and it woukd start glitching as if it were very far away?? I didn't trust it so i kept it close. Satellite doesn't work on here maps BUT if you use regular view without satellite, the maps WILL follow now. I also did have the cinematic mode. And lastly my gimbal was very jerky but it could be cause its a bit windy. (I hope) Shockingly i didn't get the wind warning everyone complains about. I then tested rth with a 250ft altitude. Idk why but i breifly got a magnetic warning. I was in the middle of a baseball field, but next door is a Costco so idk if that had to do with it. That's my review of 4.0.1 for android. If anyone would care for the test flight video showing the gimbal jerk, let me know and I'll put it on my YouTube. I'm going to fly again later tonight the Christmas lights of dyker heights Brooklyn. Hopefully all goes well. Im a bit worried about that image transmission issue and the screen freezing. Im not gonna be flying far tonight it'll be LOS but still that's pretty scary if its got distance and i cant see anything on the screen cause it freezes, or starts glitching. Hopefully that was just this flight.
2016-12-22
Use props
colonel00
lvl.2

United States

Subscribing...and waiting impatiently for 4.0.2
2016-12-22
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

boostedford Posted at 2016-12-22 12:21
So i did a whole battery flight to test android app stability. I onlt had one app crash. The app freezed, and the screen took 2 minutes to turn off and on before it would let me do anything. To reopen the app i had to disconnect and reconnect the wire to get it to reconnect. Then i had pretty bad image transmission. I was maybe 50-80 feet away and it woukd start glitching as if it were very far away?? I didn't trust it so i kept it close. Satellite doesn't work on here maps BUT if you use regular view without satellite, the maps WILL follow now. I also did have the cinematic mode. And lastly my gimbal was very jerky but it could be cause its a bit windy. (I hope) Shockingly i didn't get the wind warning everyone complains about. I then tested rth with a 250ft altitude. Idk why but i breifly got a magnetic warning. I was in the middle of a baseball field, but next door is a Costco so idk if that had to do with it. That's my review of 4.0.1 for android. If anyone would care for the test flight video showing the gimbal jerk, let me know and I'll put it on my YouTube. I'm going to fly again later tonight the Christmas lights of dyker heights Brooklyn. Hopefully all goes well. Im a bit worried about that image transmission issue and the screen freezing. Im not gonna be flying far tonight it'll be LOS but still that's pretty scary if its got distance and i cant see anything on the screen cause it freezes, or starts glitching. Hopefully that was just this flight.

I did a test flight, as well.

Satellite view WORKS, you just have to ZOOM OUT (pinch out) since (as we all know) HERE resolution is crap, hence the large pixels if you look closely to the details.  Hybrid works, everything works - just can't see anything clearly because of the low-grade classified-style imagery.

I use a Samsung S5 running 4.4.2 stock ROM and no version of DJI GO 4 crashes on this phone.  Boosted, when your phone reconnected to the Mavic, your AUTO settings under HD picked a bad channel.  I've noticed AUTO sometimes sticks like that.  Change the channel manually, then tap AUTO again & you'll be fine.  

It did autofocus on its own once (had the beeps too).  

The menus have been rearranged a little.  EXP now only shows values for whatever mode you're in (normal p-mode, sport, and I guess tripod).  LAME.

No compass or wind warnings.  I flew like a maniac in full sport mode.  

SUMMARY:  4.0.1 is a big improvement

2016-12-22
Use props
fansb6b73af4
lvl.1
United States

I did a quick flight with 4.01 on a note 4. No software crashes or issues so far. I haven't actually had any with any of the previous versions.  I don't like the change to continuous auto focus all the time. I can't find the menu option to go to manual focus. Just the toggle button in the upper right. But that seems to disable center focus of you have a key set to it.
2016-12-22
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
United States

I flew for 9 minutes.  It was mostly maneuvering about and trying out the new stuff.  I was in the menus a lot.  It only auto focused on its own once.  I had just come out of the menus and it was hovering 50 meters up.  Recording was OFF.  I would have focused at that point anyway, so I see it as it read my mind!  

I like D-Cinelike for now.  True color isn't bad, but you can easily see the drop in dynamic range.  Let me power it back up (it just charged) & check for ART & if it looks any good...

Hmm, no ART.  A bunch of silly ones, however.  D-Cinelike looks true, correct, realistic - similar to what my eye sees.
2016-12-22
Use props
Dougsteph
lvl.1

United States

I traveled to the lake to fly and shoot some video. Imagine my surprise when I opened the DJI Go 4 app and discovered the app was drastically changed overnight. I spent two batteries learning the new interface. there are some changes that i like, and a few  that make no sense. The camera controls are very different and you now switch between photo and video mode just like selecting the front or rear camera on your smart phone. This is a good change in my opinion. One change that caused an Oh @$%&& moment was when I moved my finger across the screen and the flight control overlay vanished! it took a few minutes to discover that by swiping the screen, you turn the overlay on and off Whew. The other major issue is the satellite map is now unusable. the pictures in this thread are very accurate. I was not able to determine what direction I was flying by using the map. i had to use the distance meter to figure out the way home. I called support and they claimed they had only received positive feedback so far. they said there is no way to revert back, butsuggested I not fly until the next upgrade t see if they get it fixed. looks like im finally moving to Litchi. how do you turn off auto updates?
2016-12-22
Use props
chasiu75
lvl.3
Flight distance : 154885 ft
United States

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2016-12-23 05:25

Satellite view WORKS, you just have to ZOOM OUT (pinch out) since (as we all know) HERE resolution is crap, hence the large pixels if you look closely to the details.  Hybrid works, everything works - just can't see anything clearly because of the low-grade classified-style imagery.

It does not WORK. It should show you details like a house and a car. You shouldn't have to zoom out to see anything clear but far away. It did work before up close but does not now. It is a Here Maps Android issue.
2016-12-22
Use props
StanKC
lvl.1

Canada

I hate Here Maps.  Give me Google maps back!  So much info lost.

That said, when it comes to Android, due to the open platform and various hardware and devices, GO seems to hit or misses for me going thru 3 phones and 2 tablets in the last 2 years.  Is the Apple IOS side any better for GO?

2016-12-22
Use props
invisible21
lvl.2

United States

dana5 Posted at 2016-12-22 11:38
This new version seems to have all of the same bugs... Looks like they added new features, without fixing any issues from the previous. The release notes make no mention of bug fixes.

If I open it in landscape on my Nexus 6p, it blows up, just as before. You still have to open in portrait, and then turn the phone after. Sad that they can't fix this on a top end Android phone running an unaltered version of the latest Android OS. I recently upgraded from Android Nougat 7.0 to 7.1.1, and DJI GO still blows up. DJI really needs to fix this OBVIOUS bug, which is clearly caused by the aspect ratio and scaling of the phone being in landscape mode.

Not trying to make excuses, but Nexus devices are a very small market share and running the very latest bleeding edge version of Android you are also not "mass-market".  It would make more sense for Android testing to be done on Samsung devices, I'd assume running 5.1 and 6.0 and maybe 7.0.

Sorry, but your device is an outlier even if it is running "stock" Android.

Sounds like they have a lot of work to do, but as a software developer you must be aware that QA is primarily done on devices with larger market share.  This is unfortunately the biggest downside to owning an Android device.  Compatibility for all apps can be spotty depending on how the dev decides to test.
2016-12-22
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
United States

chasiu75 Posted at 2016-12-22 18:58
It does not WORK. It should show you details like a house and a car. You shouldn't have to zoom out to see anything clear but far away. It did work before up close but does not now. It is a Here Maps Android issue.

It WORKS on my device.  But yes, because the repeated HERE. maps. stinks. low resolution, yes.  But satellite & hybrid work.  
2016-12-22
Use props
trance728-
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2016-12-22 21:49
It WORKS on my device.  But yes, because the repeated HERE. maps. stinks. low resolution, yes.  But satellite & hybrid work.

Are you on Android or iOS?
2016-12-22
Use props
Mir
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2718491 ft
  • >>>
United States

Does anyone else have their HD and RC icons blinking during flight? I had nearly full bars and they were taking turns blinking. Very distracting
2016-12-22
Use props
Logger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2883714 ft
Australia

Dougsteph Posted at 2016-12-23 12:07
I traveled to the lake to fly and shoot some video. Imagine my surprise when I opened the DJI Go 4 app and discovered the app was drastically changed overnight. I spent two batteries learning the new interface. there are some changes that i like, and a few  that make no sense. The camera controls are very different and you now switch between photo and video mode just like selecting the front or rear camera on your smart phone. This is a good change in my opinion. One change that caused an Oh @$%&& moment was when I moved my finger across the screen and the flight control overlay vanished! it took a few minutes to discover that by swiping the screen, you turn the overlay on and off Whew. The other major issue is the satellite map is now unusable. the pictures in this thread are very accurate. I was not able to determine what direction I was flying by using the map. i had to use the distance meter to figure out the way home. I called support and they claimed they had only received positive feedback so far. they said there is no way to revert back, butsuggested I not fly until the next upgrade t see if they get it fixed. looks like im finally moving to Litchi. how do you turn off auto updates?

. One change that caused an Oh @$%&& moment was when I moved my finger across the screen and the flight control overlay vanished! it took a few minutes to discover that by swiping the screen, you turn the overlay on and off Whew.

Yeah thats not new. Been around for a few versions now. But no doubt a surpise when you first see it.
2016-12-22
Use props
chasiu75
lvl.3
United States

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2016-12-23 11:49

It should not look like that. It is not working correctly. It should be just as clear as Google maps. It worked for a few mins tonight and I could see my house, my car, every small detail and then it stopped again. Bring blurry and not detailed is broken. That is not normal operation. There is a whole other thread taking about this issue.
2016-12-22
Use props
boostedford
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144478 ft
United States

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2016-12-22 16:25

Thanks for the tip! I also only saw it auto focus once.

Ok so second flight review:

Turns out the crappy video was because i was watching the footage that gets stored on my phone. The gimbal is still pretty jerky, but it's possible it was due to the winds today. I still had trouble with image transmission but it could be what drone flies you said. Plus my second flight the location i flew in i kind of expected it. So I will have to test again in a different place and definitely a field and less windy day. Here is the video of my second flight. It didn't come out how I planned it because of the wind so it's not all cinematic like I wanted it to be Dyker Heights Christmas Lights:

p.s. idk if it's because of night time, but if you look in the background of this picture, everything looks weird and painted like?? idk if this is a lens problem anyone else have this problem?

DJI_0038 (Large).JPG
2016-12-23
Use props
Peter Galbavy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 545377 ft
United Kingdom

Going to see if it's any better at supporting 5Ghz WiFI (or "both") without crashing. I tried on two different devices with the same problems with 4.0.0
2016-12-23
Use props
Dougsteph
lvl.1

United States

I did some searching and found a post with a link to the past DJI Go versions. I uninstalled DJI G0 4 version 4.01 and reverted back to Go version 3.0.1 and the maps are back and crystal clear. I also made sure no more updates happen automatically. the link to the site is http://apkpure.co/dji-go/#downarea
2016-12-23
Use props
StianGel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 686654 ft
Norway

Did i miss something or is the "Flight Record" part of the app gone?
Before the update i could see all kinds of interesting data, but now i don't see it anywhere in the app.
2016-12-23
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
United States

chasiu75 Posted at 2016-12-22 21:16
It should not look like that. It is not working correctly. It should be just as clear as Google maps. It worked for a few mins tonight and I could see my house, my car, every small detail and then it stopped again. Bring blurry and not detailed is broken. That is not normal operation. There is a whole other thread taking about this issue.

Yes, I agree, IT IS VERY BLURRY and useless.  The old Google Maps was like putting on corrective lenses!

The HERE imagery makes it look like you're viewing a classified area.  Their maximum zoom level is about 4 steps below Google's offering.

BLACK1
2016-12-23
Use props
trance728-
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Peter Galbavy Posted at 2016-12-23 02:45
Going to see if it's any better at supporting 5Ghz WiFI (or "both") without crashing. I tried on two different devices with the same problems with 4.0.0

Is there a reason you want to use the 5ghz band? From what I've read, 2.4ghz is more reliable and allows for longer distance. You really only need to use the 5ghz band if you're experiencing interference on the 2.4ghz.
2016-12-23
Use props
Peter Galbavy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 545377 ft
United Kingdom

I think you may have got it there... Not sure where you are, but 2.4GHz is pretty congested in any setting I would want to use WiFi - where range is not the issue, otherwise I would use the RC.
2016-12-23
Use props
trance728-
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Peter Galbavy Posted at 2016-12-23 11:29
I think you may have got it there... Not sure where you are, but 2.4GHz is pretty congested in any setting I would want to use WiFi - where range is not the issue, otherwise I would use the RC.

Ahh, you meant for flying it with your phone. I was thinking for transmission of video when you are using the RC.
2016-12-23
Use props
chasiu75
lvl.3
United States

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2016-12-23 23:58
Yes, I agree, IT IS VERY BLURRY and useless.  The old Google Maps was like putting on corrective lenses!

The HERE imagery makes it look like you're viewing a classified area.  Their maximum zoom level is about 4 steps below Google's offering.

When working HERE looks fine. Just a matter of when they fix it. They don't appear to be reliable. It has been down for days.
2016-12-23
Use props
fansef1e3b89
lvl.3
Flight distance : 82638 ft
United States

how do i change from 5ghz to 2.4ghz?
2016-12-23
Use props
fans29daa26c
lvl.1

Thailand

hd icon on status bar blink
what dose it mean ?
2016-12-24
Use props
MacIak
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3419 ft
Netherlands

Also noticed the blinking of rc symbol. Actually crated a new thread for it!
2016-12-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules