Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
OSMO battery and iphone battery life
17566 17 2016-12-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
chocha4u
lvl.1

United States

How is the battery life of the OSMO why recording non stop video?

Also how long does the iphone 6s+ last as being the monitor for this camera?

Can you film without a phone or it needs it?

Is this product even worth buying? I still hear people bitching about it.
2016-12-22
Use props
lmc
lvl.1
Flight distance : 928842 ft
  • >>>
Portugal

I'm returning mine. It sucks battery from my 6S+ and Osmo battery only lasts for 30 minutes...
2016-12-22
Use props
Nigelbrinkmann
First Officer
Flight distance : 586391 ft
Australia

The osmo battery lasts around 30mins constant recording (depending on video recording resolution) , the iPhone 6+ 'fully charged', you will get around 3 battery cycles out of the osmo before your iPhone needs charging, (this all depends on your iPhone and osmo settings)
Yes you can film without the device, but you don't have assess to the osmo settings etc, also you can't see if your subject is in frame.
If I'm doing a time-lapse for example,  I will set the osmo up with my device connected, then start the time-lapse, then turn my device off, then reconnect my device when the time-lapse is nearly finished.
2016-12-22
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Also, you can turn off the wifi of Osmo when you don't don't use a phone, that can add a few extra minutes of battery life.
2016-12-22
Use props
chocha4u
lvl.1

United States

So than DJI is lying by saying the firmware they gave gives whats stated below. So how the heck Thor do you agree with 30 mins when you DJI says Consumption reduced, increasing Osmo battery life to 90 minutes for a total recording time of 70 minutes (80
minutes with Wi-Fi off)?

How does that even make any sense?

1. Firmware Version: v1.5.2.0

1. Consumption reduced, increasing Osmo battery life to 90 minutes for a total recording time of 70 minutes (80
minutes with Wi-Fi off).

Does this mean 3 full batteries of the OSMO will be drained before the iphone needs to be charged?
2016-12-23
Use props
chocha4u
lvl.1

United States

When you mean 3 battery cycles of the osmo that means that after the third osmo battery dies than by that time I will need to charge the iPhone. So basically running constantly recording you get 90 mins for 3 batteries and 90 mins for a fully charged iPhone 6+ before they all drain?
2016-12-26
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

chocha4u Posted at 2016-12-27 00:56
When you mean 3 battery cycles of the osmo that means that after the third osmo battery dies than by that time I will need to charge the iPhone. So basically running constantly recording you get 90 mins for 3 batteries and 90 mins for a fully charged iPhone 6+ before they all drain?

correct, for longer shooting, you'll need external battery.
2016-12-27
Use props
djluko
New
Australia

> Also how long does the iphone 6s+ last as being the monitor for this camera?

I've got an Osmo+ and use it with an iPhone 6s.  I get about 40-45 minutes of usable time on a single Osmo battery, with roughly 2/3 of that time actually spent shooting (the rest with the preview running on the phone, but not recording).  Doing this will drain about 60% of my iPhone battery.  So if I start with a full charge on the Osmo & the iPhone, by the time the Osmo goes flat I'll have about 40% left on the iPhone.  You can extend this time (sort-of) by putting the Osmo to sleep when you're not using it, which will switch off the power to the gyros & motors.  It's actually quite comfortable to swing around loosely in your hand in this state.  But in practice, sleep mode doesn't save as much charge as you might think.  The handle is still communicating with the phone over WiFi, which means the handle gets kinda warm, and it drains a bit of the phone battery in this state too.  Depending on the type of shooting you're doing, if battery life is really important, I've found it's usually better to actually switch the whole thing off.  Do whatever (non-Osmo activity) you need to do, then switch it all back on & re-establish comms between the Osmo & the phone in the usual way.

> Can you film without a phone or it needs it?

Technically yes, but you'll have no preview of the material you're shooting.  While it's true that over time you get a feel for the way hand movements on the Osmo translate to outcomes on video, I think that kind of familiarity is only ever going to be approximate.  Without a preview to work with, the framing of your video will be a mess.  Also, you won't have any control over focus, exposure, or zoom.  Probably easier to get a spare battery for the Osmo and maybe a little USB booster for your phone too.

> Is this product even worth buying? I still hear people bitching about it.

Very subjective question!  For me yes, absolutely, it is an awesome product to use and well worth buying.  For what it's intended to do (capturing gyro-stablised 4k footage) it does very, very well.  Most of the bitching I read about when I was researching mine - clunky focus controls, short battery life, fan noise from the X5 raw version - were either overblown whinges, or didn't apply to the scenario I intended to use mine in.  Overall it's great.  I'd be happier if DJI added focus lock, and the infinity auto-focus actually locked to infinity (it seems to fall just short).  But really, those problems are pretty small in comparison.  The main stuff - quality of the footage, performance of the gyros, how it actually "looks" once edited - judged on those factors it measures up very, very well.  DJI also seem to be addressing some of these whinges, bit by bit, in their firmware updates.

My advice would be to visit a store and try one out if you can.  See how it performs in your hand, take a bit of footage on your own, and ask if you can take the footage home for a proper look.  Once you see the footage on a 4K screen you will be amazed.  It's brilliant.  Yes the battery life kinda sucks but you can always get a spare battery.  IMHO DJI kinda sting you for this ($60 AUD and I got a friend to buy mine from Hong Kong - a fairly excessive markup for something that probably costs $15 in parts to make).  But in the grand scheme of things, a spare battery is well under a tenth of the purchase price of the Osmo itself, and in my opinion, not really worth worrying about.
2016-12-27
Use props
chocha4u
lvl.1

United States

So you never tried recording constant footage. Your basically turning on and off the OSMO and that's how you get 40 mins and in doing so it still kills your iPhone?

That's a pretty horrible trade off. So constant recording you will get like 15 min on the OSMO and maybe 30 mins on an iPhone. How can you say that is a good product. Hell the Hero 5 last hours.

Why does DJI promote after the firmware update we get 70 to 90 mins of battery lift. How do those number make sense when it's not even clos to what people say?
2016-12-28
Use props
djluko
New
Australia

chocha4u Posted at 2016-12-28 06:30
So you never tried recording constant footage. Your basically turning on and off the OSMO and that's how you get 40 mins and in doing so it still kills your iPhone?

That's a pretty horrible trade off. So constant recording you will get like 15 min on the OSMO and maybe 30 mins on an iPhone. How can you say that is a good product. Hell the Hero 5 last hours.

> So you never tried recording constant footage. Your basically turning on and off the OSMO and that's how you get 40 mins and in doing so it still kills your iPhone?

No, that time (40min) was spent with the whole thing switched on continuously.

> So constant recording you will get like 15 min on the OSMO..

No, you will get 40 min continuous use.  Recording or just previewing, it doesn't seem to make much difference.  From the time you turn it on, you'll get about 40min.
2017-1-4
Use props
Razer_73
lvl.1

United States

You cant compare the hero 5 to the osmo, the Hero is a NON stabalised camera, the osmo is a gyro stablised camera using motors to keep it stable so it will always have a shorter battery life unless you have a massive battery.
2017-1-4
Use props
FrequentFlyer
Second Officer
United States

Seems like you have made up your mind.

I have the Osmo and was using it with my iPhone6+ and the battery life wasnt that great.

I then purchased a iPhone7+ and now dedicate my 6+ to the Osmo and see the life is a lot longer with out using cellular in the background. I do not really do really long clips so im not sure of the total run time from turning on to when it dies.
2017-1-5
Use props
LensmanDave
lvl.4

United Kingdom

And you can always have an external battery pack in your pocket, tethered to the phone. I always have that handy, doesn't have to be plugged in all the time.
2017-1-5
Use props
FrequentFlyer
Second Officer
United States

LensmanDave Posted at 2017-1-5 09:19
And you can always have an external battery pack in your pocket, tethered to the phone. I always have that handy, doesn't have to be plugged in all the time.

I usually have my battery pack plugged into phone when it gets low or in between recording. the one i have is small enough when i can hold with the grip when recording.
2017-1-5
Use props
jenniferlauren
New

India

I have found some tips for how to Improve Battery Life On iPhone:  https://www.howtoisolve.com/impr ... y-life-iphone-ipad/
2017-9-27
Use props
fans15331fb8
New

India

osmo battery
2018-2-15
Use props
Mari
Captain
Flight distance : 1308780 ft
Netherlands

... you can't compare an Osmo with Hero 5... Hero 5 has no gimbal with motors... You will get more than 15 minutes of recording, just try it out before shouting on this forum that it isn't possible an that the product su--ks....
2018-2-15
Use props
Second Officer
Flight distance : 69455 ft
United States

Given that Apple admits to sabotaging the 6 series phones and trashing the batteries, maybe 5 minutes?  OK, I’m exaggerating a bit, but there is a reason I got rid of my 6.

Now to actually answer your question:  The Osmo will run out of battery before the phone will (assuming the phone was fully charged), but the battery is not bad, you’ll get an hour+ with the high capacity batteries and about an hour or a bit less with the normal ones.  It should be pointed out though that the recording limit is 30 minutes (this is set by software and is solely to dodge European Union taxes, but unfortunately we are all stuck with it).

Changing the battery only takes a few seconds though, you just open the battery door, hit the red button, pull out the old one, put in the new one like a pistol magazine, close the door, turn the Osmo back on and reconnect to the WiFi.

If you really need longer time, you can use the external power adaptor and either plug into the wall or use a drone battery.

All the phone does is act as a view finder and controls, so it does not consume much power, how long it lasts depends on the phone.

Yes, the Osmo is usable without the phone, but you will have no view finder and will be stuck on whatever your last settings were.  You will still be able to move the camera and stop and start recording though, as well as take stills.
2018-2-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules