Canada

http://globalnews.ca/news/314087 ... ones-report-misuse/

2016-12-22
Use props
StanKC
lvl.1

Canada

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/it- ... wn-street-1.3213359
Sounds like more rules is being pushed until Spring instead of now.  

Now I wonder if there are any lawsuits in the states that trace back to FAA registration.

I would love Canada just adopt FAA rules.  They are much more friendly than the current set of rules.  
2016-12-22
Use props
trance728-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great now you're going to have a bunch of people that don't know anything about the laws and drones reporting people for doing nothing wrong. I feel for you Canadians.
2016-12-22
Use props
Frits48
Second Officer
Flight distance : 155961 ft
Canada

Damn idiots flying these downtown, jeezz!!
2016-12-22
Use props
StanKC
lvl.1

Canada

trance728- Posted at 2016-12-22 21:05
Great now you're going to have a bunch of people that don't know anything about the laws and drones reporting people for doing nothing wrong. I feel for you Canadians.

Well originally they are supposed to come up with new rules before Christmas.  That decision is pushed back to Spring.  So their excuses is now they have a website for reporting which is pretty much useless because they don't even know how to start investigating in a federal level.

Our city has recorded 60+ drone complains so far this year.  That's almost doubled last year.  Most cops just ignore it because given the short flight time, the pilot is most likely gone before cops can show up and investigate.
The tons of idiots who flies these thing http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/man-c ... t-for-eps-1.3193632
, so I'm not opposed to some regulation.  Get the rules right, let us buy insurance like a vehicle and go out.

2016-12-22
Use props
canadianairborn
lvl.3

Canada

Calgary police have said if they get a call to come to your house because of a drone complaint, they will investigate to determine if you were under the influence of drugs or alcohol and they would be charging people with DUI! Give me a break! A criminal record for flying your rc aircraft in your backyard? Criminal records have far reaching implications including not being able to enter the USA or other countries. This is just another way to keep people in their homes and living in fear. F*** the police! Fly from a discreet location, keep your flights short and bounce quickly afterwards. Good thing we have a Mavic.
2016-12-23
Use props
Rick A
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3566 ft
Canada

canadianairborn Posted at 2016-12-23 22:03
Calgary police have said if they get a call to come to your house because of a drone complaint, they will investigate to determine if you were under the influence of drugs or alcohol and they would be charging people with DUI! Give me a break! A criminal record for flying your rc aircraft in your backyard? Criminal records have far reaching implications including not being able to enter the USA or other countries. This is just another way to keep people in their homes and living in fear. F*** the police! Fly from a discreet location, keep your flights short and bounce quickly afterwards. Good thing we have a Mavic.

Before a drone flies, the operator should know if or what restrictions are in place.... Most, if not all all of Calgary is restricted for drone use. I expect that there could be a lot of complaints from people who don't know what flying legally is or is not and there will be a number of invalid complaints. Regardless, it is incumbent on the drone operator to insure that he/she is following the rules. http://www.calgary.ca/cps/Pages/ ... ed-Aerial-Vehicles-(UAV)-or-Drones.aspx?redirect=/drones
2016-12-23
Use props
canadianairborn
lvl.3

Canada

Rick A Posted at 2016-12-24 01:49
Before a drone flies, the operator should know if or what restrictions are in place.... Most, if not all all of Calgary is restricted for drone use. I expect that there could be a lot of complaints from people who don't know what flying legally is or is not and there will be a number of invalid complaints. Regardless, it is incumbent on the drone operator to insure that he/she is following the rules. http://www.calgary.ca/cps/Pages/Public-services/Safe-Use-of-Unmanned-Aerial-Vehicles-(UAV)-or-Drones.aspx?redirect=/drones

Or at least don't get caught. People want to put their bird up in front of their homes and it's ridiculous that it's considered a crime to do so. What a waste of resources. I'm well aware of Calgary's restrictions but in my opinion they're overboard.
2016-12-23
Use props
VDR
lvl.2
Flight distance : 24619 ft
Canada

Rick A Posted at 2016-12-23 10:49
Before a drone flies, the operator should know if or what restrictions are in place.... Most, if not all all of Calgary is restricted for drone use. I expect that there could be a lot of complaints from people who don't know what flying legally is or is not and there will be a number of invalid complaints. Regardless, it is incumbent on the drone operator to insure that he/she is following the rules. http://www.calgary.ca/cps/Pages/Public-services/Safe-Use-of-Unmanned-Aerial-Vehicles-(UAV)-or-Drones.aspx?redirect=/drones

All. All of Calgary is regulated.

If you're lucky enough to live more than 5nm/9km from YYC (I don't) or 3nm from the downtown (Eau Claire) heliport beside the Peace Bridge (I don't) chances are pretty good you're within range (3nm) of a hospital pad. ie, if you're in the city… it's a no-go.
Heliports and helipads are listed in section 4.2.27 of the circular that was revised yesterday, 600-004. (https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilav ... c-600-004-2136.html)

Don't f it up. I don't want your name on the news and I surely don't want mine.

IMG_5127.PNG

2016-12-23
Use props
Highasakite
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1423930 ft
United States

All of the posts here have excellent points, smiles and frowns! I believe VDR Canada, has the correct concept, no matter where you fly you must fully understand the very serious issues of air space! Period
2016-12-23
Use props
Free Bird
lvl.3

Canada

Yes, the way things are going in Canada we could be like Sweden. A total no fly zone. They set up this non emergency website to let people complain even if they saw a drone in the sky. Many people just love to be negative so be prepared for a huge onset of bogus complaints along with a few that have merit to them. Canada transport can then take the number of complaints and say see....... we need even more regulations. They can do this by taking the number of complaints which 90% of them will have no proof or merit and justify making huge no fly zones. The fines are already huge, the man flying his drone in Edmonton faces a $25,000 fine and or 6 months in jail. This could be the time when Transport Canada wants to make this guy pay so all can see the foley of his ways. But thankfully in the end it's up to a judge.

But then on the other side of things there are the people who think they are above the law and do fly in restricted areas thinking no-one will see them. (Look at me I'm invisible....NOT) Whether or not they catch you is not the point, just flying where you shouldn't puts more burden on us who do fly safely and within the law.
2016-12-23
Use props
Richard Mavic p
lvl.2
Flight distance : 44797 ft
Canada

All pilot should complete a online "free" video course to get a permit before flying. like how they get a boat license online.
2016-12-23
Use props
Pierre35
lvl.3
Flight distance : 117881 ft
Malaysia

With all these rules, what does it mean for a tourist to Canada that want to take some aerial video? I'm not sure if I can even get a public liability insurance for Canada from Malaysia. I wouldn't fly a drone in a city, mostly forest and mountain landscape video for Canada in my upcoming trip in 2017.
2016-12-23
Use props
StanKC
lvl.1

Canada

Pierre35 Posted at 2016-12-23 22:03
With all these rules, what does it mean for a tourist to Canada that want to take some aerial video? I'm not sure if I can even get a public liability insurance for Canada from Malaysia. I wouldn't fly a drone in a city, mostly forest and mountain landscape video for Canada in my upcoming trip in 2017.

As long as not in National Parks, you should be ok.

National Parks are free in Canada in 2017 for 150th birtbday.   Its gonna be a busy season with everyone shoowing up and I would imagine there will  be extra rangers patrolling.
2016-12-24
Use props
Pierre35
lvl.3
Flight distance : 117881 ft
Malaysia

OK. Thanks for the heads up. Wouldn't want to mess with the local authority.
2016-12-24
Use props
fansfbc45090
lvl.2
Flight distance : 342090 ft
United States

Prediction:  In the US, all manufacturers of flying things (and parts) will have to be registered with the government. All flying things (and parts) sold will be registered to the buyer at the time of sale.  Only licensed dealers will be able to sell flying parts.  All flying things will be required to have a transponder.  Anyone piloting a flying thing off private property will have to be licensed.  The "RC hobby" has moved way beyond the limitations of  a town park and limited radios.  The safety and privacy issues are huge.  Like most things in society, the restrictions to come will evolve as a reactive measure to the bad things done by the ignorance, stupidity, or evil intentions of the very few.  What happened in Sweden is just the beginning...
2016-12-24
Use props
Tharg (from the
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

fansfbc45090 Posted at 2016-12-24 12:08
Prediction:  In the US, all manufacturers of flying things (and parts) will have to be registered with the government. All flying things (and parts) sold will be registered to the buyer at the time of sale.  Only licensed dealers will be able to sell flying parts.  All flying things will be required to have a transponder.  Anyone piloting a flying thing off private property will have to be licensed.  The "RC hobby" has moved way beyond the limitations of  a town park and limited radios.  The safety and privacy issues are huge.  Like most things in society, the restrictions to come will evolve as a reactive measure to the bad things done by the ignorance, stupidity, or evil intentions of the very few.  What happened in Sweden is just the beginning...

Totally agree with you.

However, the idiots that fly breaking the rules will continue to do so (some of which appear to be in this thread).

You have to understand....... The rules just do not apply to them. People now just cannot cope with the word "No"
2016-12-24
Use props
StanKC
lvl.1

Canada

Tharg (from the Posted at 2016-12-24 07:32
Totally agree with you.

However, the idiots that fly breaking the rules will continue to do so (some of which appear to be in this thread).

Much like excessive speed is illegal and people still post their speed runs on social media and get charged.

So at least some sensible rules and regulation will keep everyone safe and these idiots charged.

And also, as good set of rule will also entice insurance industry to start offering products on drone liabilities.
End of the day, I want to fly in the middle of downtown everywhere I go and I don't mind if I have to get a license, file a flight plan and buy sufficient insurance to do so.  Instead of the current flat out NO.

2016-12-24
Use props
Derodeo
lvl.2

Canada

fansfbc45090 Posted at 2016-12-24 05:08

Do you think any similar legislation will be enacted in the US to control automatic weapons and hand guns primarily designed to kill people? The perception of real world risk in the case of drones is so far out of kilter it is beyond ridiculous.
2016-12-24
Use props
Scott Webb
New

Canada

I've been looking over the documents as I just got my Mavic Pro. I'm in Ontario and I couldnt in find the specifics of some specific areas mention: "airports, national parks, the border between the U.S. and Canada, highways, military bases or secure areas, forest fires, bridges and any heavily populated area are all “no drone zones.”

I guess they cover a lot under "built-up areas"

Why are national parks no-fly zones?

And do we have to fill out the form to the Minister for every single flight we go out to do? Even if flying under the exemptions?

For reference, I was looking here:
https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilav ... c-600-004-2136.html

If your use is outside the exemptions, do you have to submit an SFOC every time you fly? I guess so since you'd be updating the location. Wow! This is so mind blowing.

Applying for an SFOC:
"Transport Canada processes applications on a “first-come-first-served” basis and aims to process them within 20 working days. This means:
Your application may take longer to process if it is missing information or we have received a large number of applications.
You should apply as early as possible before you plan to use your UAV."

So this is saying that if you wanted to do a real estate or architectural videography/photography, you'd need to have it planned over 20 days before the shoot date?!
Am I reading this right? That is crazy and anything but agile. As more people get drones, that wait would go up so fast. Would probably go out and fly it the next day and hope for the approval in a month.

It does appear that after a certain number of safe flights, you can apply for a blanket/standing SFOC which sounds like you're good to go.

Mind blown. Looks like I will be out in the country learning to fly my mavic. I dont even intent to go high! And go slow af lol.

Think some of this is set to change again as we hit spring?
2017-3-9
Use props
Sangarone
lvl.2
United States

Psycho move to not allow you to fly in National Parks.
2017-3-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules