How to avoid this HDR-like effect?
1078 4 2016-12-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Vincent T
lvl.1

France

Hi,

On several pictures I get really poor quality and HDR-like look.
Any idea what I am setting wrongly ?
It looks to me that it happens when under exposed, the software try to highlight shadows and therefore provoke a hdr like pattern.
Is there a way to remove the auto highlight/shadow compensation ?

Thanks for your help

DJI_0198 [1600x1200].JPG

DJI_0280 [1600x1200].JPG
2016-12-23
Use props
No1much
lvl.4
Flight distance : 143878 ft
United States

Not sure, as a beginner myself, but if you can help it, I discovered yesterday that bracketing shots (3 to 5) will at least give you 3 shots for the price of one (one at -0.7 EV, one at 0 EV, one at +0.7) so you can see a little bit of what exposure bias makes for a better photo in each situation. I'm using this feature for learning, myself.
Also, I find that when taking pictures of sky when the ground is not your main focus, EV of -0.7 or so better saturates the sky's colors and details at the expense of darkening the ground to the point of it almost being a silhouette. If photographing ground mainly, 0 EV may wash out the sky but keep details of the ground.

I'm not sure if there's a good way to get both ground and sky in good detail in the same photo, but if all else fails, I hear you can use some computer programs to merge your 3 or 5 shot bracketing into one photo, using the pictures with best ground visibility for ground and best sky visibility for the sky. ..If it helps, I'm always setting auto-exposure to on, then dialing in the EV as a base, then taking a couple different bracketed sets at slightly different  EVs. ISO as low as possible, of course.
Those photos are beautiful. That sky looks similar to one where -0.7 EV helped me bring out its details more... you seem to have the ground in excellent detail in both.

Honestly, I'm not sure how to help, but this is something I'm curious about too. If anyone who knows a good answer is reading this, you have two people here curious for your thoughts.
2016-12-23
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

I suspect you are seeing the effects of autogain, try switching to manual camera settings.
2016-12-23
Use props
Vincent T
lvl.1

France

Thanks for your answers.

@No1much: no these images are not ok at all, the level of sharpness, when you zoom in, is way below the average sharpness I get on normal pics. There is actually barely any sharpness, it's just a bunch of colored patches :/

@Ex Machina: by turning to manual I avoid this effect. Thanks for suggesting it might be the auto gain... is there a way to disable it while shooting in auto ?
2016-12-25
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

@Vincent T, as far as I can tell you have no control over how autoexposure does it's thing. Maybe someone from DJI can weigh-in?
2016-12-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules