DJI Go 4 vs. Litchi vs. Autopilot for iOS users?
10169 16 2016-12-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

When I get my Mavic I'll sure to be spending time with DJI's app, but eventually I expect I'll want to branch out and try some of the third party apps -- what are most iOS users using to fly their Mavics, and why? Thanks in advance.
2016-12-23
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't really use 3rd party apps but Litchi seems to be the most popular. I've seen the Autopilot app in use and it was pretty cool.
DJI Ground Station is in Beta testing and that's one to consider as well.
2016-12-23
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-24 00:11
I don't really use 3rd party apps but Litchi seems to be the most popular. I've seen the Autopilot app in use and it was pretty cool.
DJI Ground Station is in Beta testing and that's one to consider as well.

Thanks for letting me know about Ground Station -- do you know if an iPhone version is in development?
2016-12-23
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2016-12-24 01:01
Thanks for letting me know about Ground Station -- do you know if an iPhone version is in development?

I'm guessing it would work with an iPhone, but we have to wait and see what comes out.
2016-12-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Litchi is a lot more user friendly than auto pilot..
2016-12-23
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Litchi does a good job making 360's. You can manually autofocus before each shot and shoot raw. The gimbal control is smooth too but you have to keep the drone moving or you get a buck when you release the sticks. Guess the 4 has cinematic mode but forget about using that indoors. I like the old go 3.0.1 app for indoor flying. You should pick up some nd filters while waiting, think gonna need them. I'm still waiting for pgy filters to get here, wish had them earlier for sun glare.

That guy who made the gimbal hood out of the stock dome was pretty ingenious. Still waiting on parts but rear camera and sound is a good mod, using a small spy, usb cig lighter to do that job.

Litchi does a good job outdoors, I can't complain but not running the latest and greatest firmware and go 4. Seen video doesn't look like you can even use modes indoors. And all the color features can be done in post really.
2016-12-23
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-12-23 14:16
Litchi is a lot more user friendly than auto pilot..

Thanks for the response, good to know.
2016-12-23
Use props
mavicbro
lvl.1

United States

Autopilot looks intensive, but watch enough Youtube videos and it's pretty simple. Don't overthink it.

Some of the main advantages I see for using Autopilot is that it has an Apple Watch app. This allows you to disengage if you have the remote + iPhone in your backpack. An example would be follow mode while skiing. Another advantage is that Autopilots Airspace app transmits barometer info from third party devices you are following. Say you want to follow mode a friend skiing down a hill, you can do that with Airspace. You cannot do that with Litchi Leash.

With barometric pressure, you unlock tons of features. Think doing figure 8's or orbit mode while driving a car up a hill or mountain biking down a hill. Possibilities are infinite. Not so much with DJi Go.

If you want to geek out, go with Autopilot. If you don't need the above functions, go with Litchi. I have both and use Autopilot much more. DJI Go if I am just manual flying.
2016-12-23
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

@thehippoz and @mavicbro -- thanks for the responses -- lots of new features to think about!
2016-12-28
Use props
Blade Breaker 0
lvl.2

United States

Just flew a few missions with Litchi and had great results. Waypoint mission planner is very simple. I use my PC to create missions then log in with my Ipad and fly them. Very similar to the mission planner I used with my APM flight controller. I just flew at night with 20 mph winds using Litchi with no issues. It flew perfectly straight lines from waypoint to waypoint, just as it should. Works great.

2016-12-28
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

Blade Breaker 0 Posted at 2016-12-28 20:50
Just flew a few missions with Litchi and had great results. Waypoint mission planner is very simple. I use my PC to create missions then log in with my Ipad and fly them. Very similar to the mission planner I used with my APM flight controller. I just flew at night with 20 mph winds using Litchi with no issues. It flew perfectly straight lines from waypoint to waypoint, just as it should. Works great.

Nice, didn't realize you could use your desktop to plan missions -- lots to learn!
2016-12-29
Use props
Anim8me2
lvl.1

United States

I have used Autopilot once for a mission that I planned in my house. Flew flawlessly.
It looks intimidating but its pretty straightforward.
2017-1-27
Use props
Heyandy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 413009 ft
United States

I have used Autopilot when I had my Phantom 3 Pro and will continue to use with Mavic...

Here are my top reasons in no particular order:- I have a friend that also has a Phantom 3 and Autopilot.  You can setup "Airspace" and now see each other's drone in your app.  This allows things like letting Autopilot follow the other drone.  You can let Autopilot do ALL the work, or you can take over control of the gimble, height, distance, etc.
- You can setup really cool, and complex, flight videos.  Autopilot does not use the built in DJI waypoint system, instead it "flies" the drone realtime.  This allows you to setup trigger points independant of waypoints for videos.  i.e. you get to first plan your flight route, then you get to plan what the drone is aiming the camera at...
- Their 360 degree pano's work great

With that said, start out with the basics!!!   Their are so many options that if you try and figure them all out at once you will get lost.  It took me about 3 months to really start getting good at using it and really taking advantage of many features, and I haven't touch some to this date!
2017-1-27
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I use litchi 90% of the time, DJI go 4 is too buggie, autopilot is unnecessarily over complicated compared to litchi.
2017-1-28
Use props
The Rev
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1256837 ft
United Kingdom

Ex Machina Posted at 2016-12-29 17:38
Nice, didn't realize you could use your desktop to plan missions -- lots to learn!

Take a look at the Mission hub   https://flylitchi.com/hub
2017-1-28
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

Thanks, all -- I really like the idea of being able to plan my flight ahead of time, automate the gimbal, etc. Still working out DJI Go 4. I have ActiveTrack grokked but couldn't work out Point of Interest in today's flight, and I was too close to some power lines to experiment with it further so just flew manually today. Getting better, but my pans and tilts are still pretty rough. ;)
2017-1-28
Use props
Kim Aswani
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1574327 ft
India

mavicbro Posted at 2016-12-23 21:18
Autopilot looks intensive, but watch enough Youtube videos and it's pretty simple. Don't overthink it.

Some of the main advantages I see for using Autopilot is that it has an Apple Watch app. This allows you to disengage if you have the remote + iPhone in your backpack. An example would be follow mode while skiing. Another advantage is that Autopilots Airspace app transmits barometer info from third party devices you are following. Say you want to follow mode a friend skiing down a hill, you can do that with Airspace. You cannot do that with Litchi Leash.

hi there, I have a DJI Spark...I really am considering one of these but have you tried it on a spark. I know manual flying does not get you the perfect cinematic shot so wanted your honest opinion if any of these really work with the spark. your feedback will be highly appreciated.
2018-1-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules