Current firmware/DJI GO? Do I update?
1092 2 2016-12-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jrm11
lvl.3
Flight distance : 224577 ft
United States

I am currently running GO 2.8.3 and whatever P3A firmware was released with that version (don't keep my P3 at home, so I cannot access it see what it on it). Everything has been working fine. I wanted to avoid the whole geo-mess thing, so never updated beyond that and stopped following news of newer versions. I run my P3A with my iPad. While an annoyance, I can prevent my GO version from being updated.
My iPhone is connected to the same computer, but has updated itself to GO 3.1.1. I have some ideas how that happened, but it doesn't concern me because I don't use my P3 with that device.

I am considering an Osmo Mobile for use with my iPhone. That will not function with 2.8.3, so I would need to keep my phone on at least the 3.1.1 I have andor possiblly find a way  to update that without affecting the iPad. It would be simpler to have both my devices on the same GO version, but I don't know if that makes sense for me.

With that as background, I have a few questions:

What is the current version of GO (iOS)? What is the current version of firmware for the P3A? (There is a thread about firmware, but it indicates that 3.1.0 is the latest GO, so that is obviosly not current info).

Is there any compelling reason to update my iPad Go (used with P3A) to the current release? Are there any useful features or bug fixes? (Understanding that I do not consider the geo-stuff/unlock-to-fly restrictions useful and need to avoid them completely). Any downsides to the current GO/Firmware on the P3A?

If I do update to the current version of GO, will I also have to update my P3A firmware?

2016-12-23
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi jrm11, the latest DJI GO app version for IOS device is 3.1.1.
Could you please clarify the current firmware version on your P3A?
2016-12-27
Use props
jrm11
lvl.3
Flight distance : 224577 ft
United States

I won't be at the location where I store/fly my P3A for another week or so. I am pretty sure it is 1.8 (P3S_FW_V01.08.0080.bin). It was the update that made changes to accommodate cold weather issues with batteries. I know for sure it was the "correct" firmware for 2.8.3 at the time.

To be clear, I am using 2.8.3 on an iPad with that firmware and my P3A. I do not allow the iPad to update GO for this reason. My iPhone has 3.1.1 and is only used with the Osmo mobile.

It would be simpler to update everything to the latest version, hence my questions. I also believe "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." If later versions of Go/firmware offer no significant benefits for a P3A (and for me, GEO is the opposite of a significant benefit) there is no reason for me to start messing with a working system.

Are there benefits, improvements or critical fixes for the P3A in later versions? Can GO be safely updated without updating the firmware?
2016-12-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules