Micro SD Card
1068 2 2016-12-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Free Bird
lvl.3

Canada

I'm trying to understand the differences in Micro SD cards and was wondering about U3 rated SD cards. Mavic specs say it needs a U1 rating. So is it then compatible with a U3 rated card. Do I need a backward compatible U3 SD card? Or will the Mavic handel any high speed write speeds just the way it is.
Could not having a U3 SD card be a reason for futtery video when turning?

I know that 64GB is the recomended maximum and larger than 32GB you can record larger capasity viedeos, greater than 4GB.

I copied this from the internet but I still have a few grey areas I don't quite understand

The SD Association has two UHS Speed Classes, UHS Speed Class 1 and UHS Speed Class 3. UHS Speed Class 1 supports a minimum 10MB/s write speed, whereas UHS Speed Class 3 supports at least 30MB/s write speed. The UHS Speed Class is denoted by either a 1 or 3 inside of a bucket U symbol. As a rule of thumb, 4K-capable camcorders will usually require at least a U3 rated SD card.
2016-12-23
Use props
trance728-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>
United States

Minimum U1, U3 will play fine. U1 means a minimum of 10MB/s which is fine for the Mavic, U3 will just allow you higher speeds if you use the card in something else that might need this speeds.

The size of the card doesn't matter on the 4GB limitation, that's based on the format of the file system. 4GB is the max but that just means a video bigger than 4GB will be split in 2 but there is no gap in video.

Not sure why you wrote 64MB/s for a max card size, it would be 64GB. I use 64GB cards myself but 32GB will give you plenty of recording time depending on what resolution you use.  
2016-12-23
Use props
Free Bird
lvl.3

Canada

trance728- Posted at 2016-12-23 14:22
Minimum U1, U3 will play fine. U1 means a minimum of 10MB/s which is fine for the Mavic, U3 will just allow you higher speeds if you use the card in something else that might need this speeds.

The size of the card doesn't matter on the 4GB limitation, that's based on the format of the file system. 4GB is the max but that just means a video bigger than 4GB will be split in 2 but there is no gap in video.

Not sure why you wrote 64MB/s for a max card size, it would be 64GB.

Sorry that was a mental typo. I corrected it.

One important question you answered is the U3 will play fine. I'm hoping it will write better than an U1 and get less of a flutter when moving sideways while videoing.

I do wish someone who uses the faster U3 micro SD card would say whether they noticed any difference in the quality. They are 2 to 3 times more expensive and I need to buy quite a few to take with me while traveling in South America as I'm not taking my MacBook Pro with me.
2016-12-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules