P4P focus function
1365 10 2016-12-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Todka
lvl.3
Flight distance : 452267 ft
Australia

Howdy, I took a 2 level 16 shot panorama on my first flight today.
First impressions of the DNG files are a huge improvement.
I had some issues I haven't gotten my head around with the focus.
I focussed the first image and then proceeded to shoot the next 15 frames.
I expected that this camera is like a DSLR and holds the last focus position.
However when I look at the images some ae out of focus. I was shooting manual at f4, 1/100 and ISO 200.
I've put the pano in a dropbox folder, downsized to JPG.
Can anyone explain to me how the focus works? Surely we dont need to manually focus each frame?
Thanks in advance!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.co ... 4-DJI_0059-Pano.jpg

2016-12-23
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Very nice location for a big panorama - where is that?

There are a few ways to manage the focus.
One simple way is to leave the green focus target box somewhere appropriate or move it if necessary.
Gently squeeze the shutter button.
You'll hear it quietly beep-beep to confirm focus and then squeeze the shutter button a little further.  Click!
2016-12-24
Use props
Todka
lvl.3
Australia

Good point Labroids. i just banged on the button. Used to my P3 without focus. i need to adapt back to normal camera use.
That location in Nambucca Heads, Australia. We did an overnight motel stay there while on the road.
2016-12-24
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Todka Posted at 2016-12-24 21:06
Good point Labroids. i just banged on the button. Used to my P3 without focus. i need to adapt back to normal camera use.
That location in Nambucca Heads, Australia. We did an overnight motel stay there while on the road.

Ahh ... I had a brief stop  there a year ago and shot a couple of panoramas from the north side of the headland.
I'll have to go back and give it the time it deserves.
2016-12-24
Use props
trance728-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>
United States

Were you using Litchi for the pano or just moving it on your own. I heard someone in the Mavic forum suggest to put it on manual focus and focus to infinity since they were having issues with auto focus occurring too often while flying. That might be an idea for you to try.
2016-12-24
Use props
CanonMax
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8953215 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

trance728- Posted at 2016-12-24 14:41
Were you using Litchi for the pano or just moving it on your own. I heard someone in the Mavic forum suggest to put it on manual focus and focus to infinity since they were having issues with auto focus occurring too often while flying. That might be an idea for you to try.

May I ask you, why you ask (I think I read it in another post as well) if someone is also using or has Litchi installed?

Thank you... Happy Holidays

Max
2016-12-24
Use props
trance728-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>
United States

CanonMax Posted at 2016-12-24 08:38
May I ask you, why you ask (I think I read it in another post as well) if someone is also using or has Litchi installed?

Thank you... Happy Holidays

Nothing to do with the focus issue just that Litchi has a panorama function, I was curious if the OP was just shooting it on their own. Although if it was Litchi then there might be some setting off for the focus.
2016-12-24
Use props
HellStream
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1370771 ft
  • >>>
Finland

I use the manual focus mode and set my focus point to infinity. Never any issues with soft pictures.
2016-12-24
Use props
sunny051488
lvl.2
Flight distance : 183891 ft
United States

i would just focus on something hundreds of feet away then hit the focus lock and then you're done. Everything should be in focus for the remainder of your flight.
2016-12-24
Use props
Todka
lvl.3
Australia

Howdy.  I just shot them manually without Litchi.  Brand new. Turned it on and flew. In retrospect, I'm not sure even what focus mode it was on. I set the camera to manual and set the ISO, fstop and shutter. Hit the button underneath to hide the camera settings.  Focussed the first image by tapping on the screen, then shot the series. Repeated with a bigger aperture. Then I just cruised around looking for marine annimals. Checked on my laptop and noticed some focus issues for a few of the frames.
2016-12-25
Use props
CanonMax
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8953215 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

trance728- Posted at 2016-12-24 15:42
Nothing to do with the focus issue just that Litchi has a panorama function, I was curious if the OP was just shooting it on their own. Although if it was Litchi then there might be some setting off for the focus.

thank you for your answer... I am eagerly (correct?) waiting for my Phantom 4 Pro which was promised to arrive in the shop yesterday, but it didn't make it... well I still have my Phantom 4 and use Litchi and the usual DJI GO app... Haven't tried the DJI GO 4 app yet...
Travelling to Italy tomorrow and taking my "old" (hahah) Phantom with me.

Merry X-Max - all the best for a safe 2017

Max
2016-12-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules