Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Pro will NOT descend unless VPS turned off.
97264 97264 2016-12-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
WilliamDJI
lvl.1
Flight distance : 319514 ft
Canada

Update:
It seems that I wasn't the only one facing this problem. Since this very informative thread got very big, I will try to summarize it as best as I could:

Symptom: Mavic will NOT decend
Mavic will not decend after reaching a certain height (above the limit of the downward VPS sensor). The downward VPS sensor begins to malfunction and assume the ground is near. You'll notice the downward VPS sensor readout fluctuating between 0.1 meters. When there is no readout, you'll be able to lower your mavic until the unit once again assumes the ground is near by.

How do I bring my mavic down?
Holding decend stick all the way down will trigger auto-land. Sometimes this will work, most of the time it will not.
Best action is to go into the menu and turn off the VPS sensor. Flipping into sport mode may do the trick as well (since all sensors are disabled then).

Solution:
First, make sure you do a:
Compass calib
IMU calib
RC calib
VPS calib
New FWs updates
New app updates

All these didn't work for me and many others. Other solutions that seem to work:
- Turn off the precision landing option (didn't work for me)
- Use a different app (Lichi) - worked for some, not everyone
- Turn off downward VPS sensor. Always works!!! --> however you loose precise howvering

Overall:
Ultimatley, some are deciding to hold on to their mavics and wait for a firmware fix (Mods suggest a FW fix coming soon)
Others such as myself ended up sending the mavic in for repairs. I haven't had my Mavic for 3 weeks and still have no updates. Others within a week heard back from DJI that 1) their mavic's logic board was replaced, or 2) their whole mavic is being replaced.

Seeing how long the repair process is taking, I would recommend turning off the VPS and waiting for a FW fix. I will try to keep this post updated with any new information that arises.

Original post:
Hello everyone,

First of all, I should mentiont I had every single DJI product, and been in the aerial photography/videography business for nearly 8 years - never had a major issue like this that I couldn't diagnose and fix on my own.

My second Mavic arrived nearly 3 weeks ago - I opened it about 2 weeks ago and so far 4 test flights were conducted on it - all are up/down since that is my problem with it - it will NOT decend.  The only way to bring it down is turning off the downward positioning system

Once the Mavic is up at any altitude (50 feet, 100 etc) , pulling the RC stick down does NOT do anything, infact sometimes it keeps on acending.

Steps I took:
Compass calib
IMU calib
RC calib
VPS calib
New FWs
New app
different phones

Healthydrones + dji's own app shows that I am pulling the sticks fully down, yet the mavic doesn't respond. I also noticed it once start decending on its own at a very fast rate as I began traveling horizontally (seems that autoland was triggered on its own).

Any help would be truly appreciated

2016-12-24
Use props
trance728-
First Officer
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sounds like there's something obstructing the downward sensors or they are malfunctioning.
2016-12-24
Use props
WilliamDJI
lvl.1
Canada

The final step I just tried was to tried was to factory reset the mavic, however even that didn't solve the problem. After another test flight and diagnostics I realize that the VPS system keeps on thinking that the ground is really close by, this is especially true when mavic is about 20 meters away from the ground therefor the VPS system can't actually see the ground anymore and it starts thinking that I'm only a few centimeters away. I double-checked the VPS system and there's nothing at all obstructing it
2016-12-24
Use props
Danny-B-
Second Officer
Flight distance : 306640 ft
United Kingdom

Record the mavic powered on with your phone .. it tendseems to pickup the sonar clicks better than human hearing... just to confirm it's even working.

Sounds like an RMA case though
2016-12-24
Use props
braddahjosh808
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1868376 ft
  • >>>
United States

There seems to be multiple issues with force landing and landing in general right now. Mine started when I switched over to using the DJI GO 4 app.
2016-12-24
Use props
fans297dfdab
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4096877 ft
United States

Not sure if it's the same problem but my Mavic is also not decending immediately after I push the stick down. I need to wait 5-7 seconds and after that it says Landing and attempts autoland. Sometimes it ascending by itself too. I will try disabling sensors...
2016-12-24
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Could you please sync you flight records and provide me with your DJI account email?
I'll help to check it.
Is your DJI account email the same as your forum email?
2016-12-24
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

fans297dfdab Posted at 2016-12-25 10:12
Not sure if it's the same problem but my Mavic is also not decending immediately after I push the stick down. I need to wait 5-7 seconds and after that it says Landing and attempts autoland. Sometimes it ascending by itself too. I will try disabling sensors...

Hello, do you mean you need to keep holding the left stick down for 5-7 seconds?
2016-12-24
Use props
WilliamDJI
lvl.1
Canada

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-24 22:48
Could you please sync you flight records and provide me with your DJI account email?
I'll help to check it.
Is your DJI account email the same as your forum email?

Hi Mindy,

Yup my DJI account is the same as forum email and all synced

I also made a video yesterday - had someone else record my screen and the Mavic while test flying it after doing a factory reset. This is when I noticed the VPS system is the culprit: Keeps on seeing that the ground is 18 meters away to then thinking its 0.1 m away etc
2016-12-25
Use props
WilliamDJI
lvl.1
Canada

fans297dfdab Posted at 2016-12-24 21:12

That will put it into force landing mode - this means that something is preventing it from descending (could be similar to my problem)

Mine has always been like that - since day 1 ... and as I mentioned I had another Mavic before this one that didn't exhibit this problem, so unfortunately it maybe an RMA process I just hope it won't be months long wait
2016-12-25
Use props
JegerLars
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3773 ft
  • >>>
Poland

Got the exact same problem - any updates from Dji? Seems to be a frequent problem.
2016-12-25
Use props
Delsonrus
lvl.1
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-24 21:52
Hello, do you mean you need to keep holding the left stick down for 5-7 seconds?

Yes, otherwise it will not descend at all. I just realized after reading other posts that holding left stick down for few seconds engages autoland. There is no way for me right now to land it normally. I will try calibrating VPS today
2016-12-25
Use props
JegerLars
lvl.3
  • >>>
Norway

Delsonrus - how exactly does one calibrate the VPS?
2016-12-25
Use props
Delsonrus
lvl.1
United States

JegerLars Posted at 2016-12-25 13:41
Delsonrus - how exactly does one calibrate the VPS?

You can calibrate the VPS using DJI Assistant software. Mavic should be connected to your computer with usb cable in order to start the procedure
2016-12-25
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Delsonrus Posted at 2016-12-26 04:03
You can calibrate the VPS using DJI Assistant software. Mavic should be connected to your computer with usb cable in order to start the procedure

Did calibrating with the Assisant2 solve it?
2016-12-25
Use props
WilliamDJI
lvl.1
Canada

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-25 15:07

I tried VPS calibration before and that didn't work for me

My steps were as follows the second I noticed the issue (right when I received this one)

- RC stick calibration
- Compass calibration
- IMU calib
- VPS calibration
- Firmware updates etc
- Factory reset

Tried disabling various things for VPS, such as record position, etc etc...only way to bring the craft down is to fully turn off the downward VPS
2016-12-25
Use props
NomadRT
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1669012 ft
United States

I started having the exact same problem today.   
2016-12-25
Use props
NomadRT
Second Officer
United States

I might add that I've been flying my Mavic for weeks without issue.   Not a SINGLE problem.   I've had my app up to date too.   I haven't done anything to update my app in weeks.   The problem appeared out of nowhere.  
2016-12-25
Use props
NomadRT
Second Officer
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-25 14:07

Tagging you Ken so you notice that I've also suddenly begun having this exact same problem along with incorrect collision avoidance messages.     

2016-12-25
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

WilliamDJI Posted at 2016-12-25 14:19
I tried VPS calibration before and that didn't work for me

My steps were as follows the second I noticed the issue (right when I received this one)

I've reported it so let's see what they say. I'll also try myself later this evening.
2016-12-25
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

NomadRT Posted at 2016-12-25 15:38
Tagging you Ken so you notice that I've also suddenly begun having this exact same problem along with incorrect collision avoidance messages.

Thanks, I've reported it.
What incorrect messages are you receiving.
2016-12-25
Use props
NomadRT
Second Officer
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-25 17:27

Getting the collision avoidance messages even though I'm way above the ground with no objects.   Doesn't happen all the time -- just here and there in my last two flights.    The more alarming behavior is the stick not responding to descend.   Only way to bring it down is to initiate auto land.   

Half my flight was fine both in normal mode and sport mode.... ascending and descending with the sticks just fine.   Then boom... no response to descend.   
2016-12-25
Use props
NomadRT
Second Officer
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-25 17:27

See my thread called "Couple strange glitches(?) today"

2016-12-25
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

NomadRT Posted at 2016-12-25 16:39
Getting the collision avoidance messages even though I'm way above the ground with no objects.   Doesn't happen all the time -- just here and there in my last two flights.    The more alarming behavior is the stick not responding to descend.   Only way to bring it down is to initiate auto land.   

Half my flight was fine both in normal mode and sport mode.... ascending and descending with the sticks just fine.   Then boom... no response to descend.

I tested a full battery in and tried so get a warning, the only warning I got was a battery overload but I was full pitch forward and full throttle for about 15 seconds then got it.
Your free to send it in for evaluation and the repair center can check it out.
2016-12-25
Use props
Delsonrus
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-25 14:07

Haven't tried yet as it's been raining for the whole day. Flying indoors worked well though. Hopefully will be able to try flying tomorrow
2016-12-25
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Delsonrus Posted at 2016-12-25 20:25
Haven't tried yet as it's been raining for the whole day. Flying indoors worked well though. Hopefully will be able to try flying tomorrow

Sounds good, just be careful flying indoors.
I tested the Mavic earlier this evening with several landings and everything worked fine.
2016-12-25
Use props
NomadRT
Second Officer
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-25 19:38
I tested a full battery in and tried so get a warning, the only warning I got was a battery overload but I was full pitch forward and full throttle for about 15 seconds then got it.
Your free to send it in for evaluation and the repair center can check it out.

Thank Ken.   Take in mind that I've done dozens of flights with zero problems.   These last two flights is when my problem (identical to Delsonrus) manifested.   
2016-12-25
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

NomadRT Posted at 2016-12-25 21:24
Thank Ken.   Take in mind that I've done dozens of flights with zero problems.   These last two flights is when my problem (identical to Delsonrus) manifested.

Yes understood, contact support and you may have to send the aircraft/RC in if troubleshooting steps wil not resolve it.
2016-12-25
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

WilliamDJI Posted at 2016-12-25 22:39
Hi Mindy,

Yup my DJI account is the same as forum email and all synced

Hi William, could you please upload the flight data to dropbox and send me the link?
Our engineers will help to analyse it.
You can use the same method as for the Phantom 4.
Here is a video tutorial for reference:

2016-12-25
Use props
JegerLars
lvl.3
  • >>>
Norway

Can confirm, turning off the VPS allows more normal flight characteristics. Anyone tried calibrating the VPS via DJI assistant? I live in Norway, would hate to send the drone all the way to China if not absolutely necessary...
2016-12-26
Use props
NomadRT
Second Officer
United States

JegerLars Posted at 2016-12-26 12:23
Can confirm, turning off the VPS allows more normal flight characteristics. Anyone tried calibrating the VPS via DJI assistant? I live in Norway, would hate to send the drone all the way to China if not absolutely necessary...

I haven't tried it yet.   Didn't want to do anything without DJI telling me to do so, and I'm in the middle of uploading my flight logs now.
2016-12-26
Use props
JegerLars
lvl.3
  • >>>
Poland

NomadRT Posted at 2016-12-26 19:54
I haven't tried it yet.   Didn't want to do anything without DJI telling me to do so, and I'm in the middle of uploading my flight logs now.

I do not have the necesseary equipment to calibrate my VPS with DJI assistant 2 as I am abroad now - could you try that Nomad?

If it works for you, hopefully it will work for the rest of us with this problem.
2016-12-26
Use props
NomadRT
Second Officer
United States

JegerLars Posted at 2016-12-26 12:59
I do not have the necesseary equipment to calibrate my VPS with DJI assistant 2 as I am abroad now - could you try that Nomad?

If it works for you, hopefully it will work for the rest of us with this problem.

Still haven't calibrated yet, but this morning I noticed my DJI App was notifying me of new firmware.   It has not given me this notification before.   I updated the firmware and then flew.    Three times I tried to descend and it stopped me after a couple feet and then initiated auto land.    I overrode it and flew around a bit in wide circles ascending and descending in altitude while moving forward at speed.    I then spent about 10 minutes going up and down trying to recreate the problem and it would not.   Everything from that point forward operated as normal.     

I'm charging my battery now and will conduct several more tests today before re-calibrating.   
2016-12-26
Use props
NomadRT
Second Officer
United States

BTw -- this was the update that added cinema mode?   At least that's what it said in the update summary.
2016-12-26
Use props
NomadRT
Second Officer
United States

So another test --  shortly after takeoff I was able to reproduce the symptoms of no response to the down command on the left stick.   This time the drone actually started drifting upwards again.    I did this several times to the same effect until I just started flying around at top speed in wide circles.   The problem seemed to stop again and the rest of the flight was normal.   I repeatedly went higher and then used the left stick to decrease altitude and I could not get the problem to reoccur.    It's VERY inconsistent as to when or if it happens.
2016-12-26
Use props
WilliamDJI
lvl.1
Canada

JegerLars Posted at 2016-12-26 13:23

I tried and that doesn't work
2016-12-26
Use props
WilliamDJI
lvl.1
Canada

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-26 01:57
Hi William, could you please upload the flight data to dropbox and send me the link?
Our engineers will help to analyse it.
You can use the same method as for the Phantom 4.

Thanks Mindy,

I uploaded the last two flights and sending you the URL via PM

Thanks!
2016-12-26
Use props
WilliamDJI
lvl.1
Canada

If anyone is interested in seeing the symptoms, please see the following video.

Please first read my first post in this thread for full description and all the calibrations done, this is my second mavic and more than 10th dji product this year alone
Video was shot quickly and wasn't planned, sorry for the bad quality - also doesn't show the best example of the problem, earlier that day it was stuck up for over a minute until I turned off the VPS
Note the VPS values changing - when it hits 0.01 mavic doesn't want to land and starts ascending instead ... to land it I must initiate force landing by holding the down stick for a few seconds to a 100%
This happens in sunny days, no snow, with snow, night etc etc. i.e env is NOT a factor

2016-12-26
Use props
NomadRT
Second Officer
United States

WilliamDJI Posted at 2016-12-26 17:15

Please first read my first post in this thread for full description and all the calibrations done, this is my second mavic and more than 10th dji product this year alone

William,

This is *exactly* the behavior that mine is showing.   100% exactly.   I will try disabling VPS tomorrow when I get the symptoms again.
2016-12-26
Use props
Delsonrus
lvl.1
United States

WilliamDJI Posted at 2016-12-26 17:15

Thanks for the video William, the symptoms are all the same as mine. But for some reason I couldn't reproduce them today after I had calibrated VPS. I will try to fly again later this week to make sure.
2016-12-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules