Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Night Flying in the UK
32029 88 2016-12-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
KEJ
First Officer
United Kingdom

Dennis9877 Posted at 2016-12-25 10:12
The nice thing about CAA.... You do not have to get a PfCO.   Anyone can fly a Drone all you have to do is reg the Drone.  The PfCO is for Commercail and Business to fly a UAV.  So to answer the question Can I fly my Drone at Night.  Answer is YES as long as you maintain VFR.  Ok what does that mean?  Visual Flight Rules (VFR) is just that.  You must be able to see greater than 3 NMs and be Clouds greater than 1000AGL.  So I say keep it simple.  If you can see 3NM and there are no clouds around you then fly until you heart gives way.  I have be flying for over 45years and I also fly my Drone Phantom 4 all the time night and day.  Side note;  38 countries have the same rules as we do.

That was my understanding as well.

You are restricted if you are a qualified pilot, but not if you are a standard Joe.
If in doubt, contact the CAA directly.

2020-5-23
Use props
Badgersurfer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14016 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dennis9877 Posted at 2016-12-25 10:12
The nice thing about CAA.... You do not have to get a PfCO.   Anyone can fly a Drone all you have to do is reg the Drone.  The PfCO is for Commercail and Business to fly a UAV.  So to answer the question Can I fly my Drone at Night.  Answer is YES as long as you maintain VFR.  Ok what does that mean?  Visual Flight Rules (VFR) is just that.  You must be able to see greater than 3 NMs and be Clouds greater than 1000AGL.  So I say keep it simple.  If you can see 3NM and there are no clouds around you then fly until you heart gives way.  I have be flying for over 45years and I also fly my Drone Phantom 4 all the time night and day.  Side note;  38 countries have the same rules as we do.

I agree with what you say. Providing your drone has navigation lights and is clearly viewable within the regulation altitude and distance (in my case I also have a strobe to warn aircraft if they appear rapidly) you are flying Visual Flight Rules, so YES you can fly at night. If you fly into cloud, fog, behind infrastructure you are breaking the rules then it is up to your common sense.
2020-6-26
Use props
djiuser_GzFIFChoHAyp
New

United Kingdom

fansdc88257a Posted at 2016-12-25 12:18
With all due respect Dennus9877, you would not realistically be able to adhere to VFR in the dark for no more than a 100 meters with the fitted led lighting. If you can your a better man than me.

I know this reply 4 years late
But led light strobe lights have come along way.
Having blinking led lights not only you can see them but other people can too,
I can see mine at a height of  over 300 ft
2020-8-20
Use props
Stiabhna
New

United Kingdom

The DEFINITIVE answer is at para. 3.6.6 of CAP 722 - There are no specific prohibitions to VLOS operations during night time. The basic VLOS principles still apply (i.e. you must be able to see the aircraft and the surrounding airspace). However, any applications for operational authorisations which include VLOS flight at night will be expected to include a ‘night operations’ section within the operations manual which details the operating procedures to be followed and should include items such as:  daylight reconnaissance and site safety assessment of the surrounding area  identification and recording of any hazards, restrictions and obstacles  illumination of the launch site  aircraft lighting/illumination requirements  weather limitations for operation
2020-9-2
Use props
djiuser_o4S96wLbfh7U
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Can I fly my mini2 fitted with a lume cube at night
2022-4-30
Use props
Andrea Fekete
New

United Kingdom

Kiffkool Posted at 2016-12-25 03:09
Trust me you can't ...I have my PfCO and know this as fact . As there is a level of equivelance with manned aviation we can only fly what you call VFR so at night you can't see so can't maintain VFR.
Like wise we should only proceed with flight if VMC allows. Its all about maintaining visual sight of aircraft (yours and other that might enter your flight area).

I seen 2 drones at 3:30 am hovering through above my garden and house, how is it possible legally? Why are they flying drones? They looked pritty high tech and big....
2022-5-17
Use props
NorthumbrianUAS
New
United Kingdom

Hi,  sorry to show my ignorance but are the comments and conclusions of this thread still valid or have the regulations changed in the UK since 2016/2018 in relation to non commercial night flying of a drone.  I note that some posts said that only an idiot would fly at night.  What about if you own the whole area e.g. a farm and know the site extremely well from day flying e.g. you know the height of all the unlit obstacles such as a church tower?  Also what if there is a good reason for night flying such as chasing theives?  I am interested in setting up a drone on an 11m high warehouse roof to take of at night and to fly a small circuit around a few building in a rural area when a burgular alarm has been triggered, is that really so idiotic?  Ideally I would like it to be fully automated but that isn't going to be legal so what about if I fly the drone remotely but can see the drone on CCTV all the time?  Hopefully the regulations are moving in a direction that makes all this more achievable rather than less achievable.  All answers greatly appreciated.
2022-9-18
Use props
Canelaza
New

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-7-20 08:01
Though I walk through the valley of death, I fear no evil.
For I carry a stout Shillelagh.

I love walking canes, and I have created some canes combining brass and wood. I think you will like them.

https://canelaza.com/walking-canes/

2023-7-24
Use props
wrennelson
New

Pakistan

Nice! Thanks For Informational Post.
2023-7-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules