Mavic - IMU Failure and Crash on Auto Take-Off
3394 15 2016-12-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nicmorley
lvl.1
Australia

Hi guys,
Purchased only 4 days ago, I have had three flights with the mavic, and on the fourth, I used the auto take off feature. After about 60 cm height into the procedure, I noticed IMU failure on the dji app and dropped straight to the ground. It broke one of the four camera mount points.

Before take off it said ready to fly and there were no errors.

I suppose I was curious if anyone is expert enough to help me work out what actually happened from the flight logs. I can find the spot where the event occurred but don't know what to look for as there is so much data!

I am scared now if this was to happen over the water or somewhere else, and not sure if I should return it, try fix it and keep flying over the holidays, and how this would work with warranty if I kept flying it.

Untitled-1.jpg
15672618_10154079986922256_5945190643518453426_n.jpg
2016-12-25
Use props
River One
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7691722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Why do you still have that yellow tab on the back of the camera .. i peeled mine off the day i got it .. ?? Does it have some purpose?
2016-12-25
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Sorry for your crash, nicmorley.
I'd not suggest you to keep flying it.
Since it had been crashed, we cannot guarantee it's performance.
For your flight safety, I'd suggest you to contact our tech support and send it in for further evaluation.
Our engineers will help to analyse the flight data and let you know what could cause this issue.
2016-12-25
Use props
GeForceFX-be
lvl.2

Belgium

this keeps happening to people, I hope DJI is aware of the problem and will fix this asap in next firmware. I stopped using auto take-off since the first reports of mavics dropping down directly after take-off started to appear on the forums. (there is at least one youtube video of it).
2016-12-25
Use props
Danny-B-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 306640 ft
United Kingdom

GeForceFX-be Posted at 2016-12-26 00:39
this keeps happening to people, I hope DJI is aware of the problem and will fix this asap in next firmware. I stopped using auto take-off since the first reports of mavics dropping down directly after take-off started to appear on the forums. (there is at least one youtube video of it).

Correct, i have seen a few issues with the same circumstance. Do not use the auto take off feature.
There is no need to use it really, and the more issues with it i see ... the less likely i'll ever be to use it lol

(OP) Your flight logs will inform the engineers everything they need to know, so send it in for repair under warranty, it should be covered.
2016-12-25
Use props
fans231cf598
lvl.1

United States

I had the same problem, sending it in sucks, I have to wait months to receive replacement. I luckily had the Gimbal Cover on so only that cracked $11US on their site.
2016-12-26
Use props
edwarde21
lvl.2
Flight distance : 65535 ft
United States

same happened to me the housing got some damage but it still seems to work fine
2016-12-26
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

That stinks, and now no Mavic.  

I use auto T/O nearly every flight.  I also notice TONS of random quirks EVERY flight.  It's always something.  Yesterday it lost signal far away & my screen said the reassuring "Return-to-home Operation timed-out."  That was fun!  

2016-12-26
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

River One Posted at 2016-12-25 08:43
Why do you still have that yellow tab on the back of the camera .. i peeled mine off the day i got it .. ?? Does it have some purpose?

Yellow tab is from manufacturing prosess, you can leave it on or take it off it makes no difference, it's already been discussed....
2016-12-26
Use props
MarcusPolus
lvl.2
United States

Danny-B- Posted at 2016-12-25 20:06
Correct, i have seen a few issues with the same circumstance. Do not use the auto take off feature.
There is no need to use it really, and the more issues with it i see ... the less likely i'll ever be to use it lol

If I buy something and was told I shouldn't use a feature, then why waste money? Like buy a car but don't use airbad feature.. how about just fixing issue?
2016-12-26
Use props
Danny-B-
lvl.4
United Kingdom

MarcusPolus Posted at 2016-12-26 19:19
If I buy something and was told I shouldn't use a feature, then why waste money? Like buy a car but don't use airbad feature.. how about just fixing issue?

I dont work for DJI buddy i'm just offering advice... I agree, fix the issue, but until i see it mentioned on firmware release notes, i'll continue to suggest people don't use the feature.
2016-12-26
Use props
MarcusPolus
lvl.2
United States

Danny-B- Posted at 2016-12-26 14:27
I dont work for DJI buddy i'm just offering advice... I agree, fix the issue, but until i see it mentioned on firmware release notes, i'll continue to suggest people don't use the feature.

Im waiting to buy mine still, but I have only seen people use this option... what is the alternate? or maybe Im mistaken
2016-12-27
Use props
Danny-B-
lvl.4
United Kingdom

MarcusPolus Posted at 2016-12-27 16:30
Im waiting to buy mine still, but I have only seen people use this option... what is the alternate? or maybe Im mistaken

Manual take off, just hold the sticks to bottom corners to start the propellers, then throttle up as desired. I do this everytime

Hope you get yours soon, test both out and see what you prefer
2016-12-27
Use props
fansadc0b8a9
New

United States

I got mine Friday Dec 23rd. Flew fine in beginner mode using auto take off.
Landed powered off back on and turned off beginner mode. Waited for gps count till 11 and used auto take off. It took off and instead of hovering motors shut off and it slammed to the pavement. Luckily it was only scratched on the bottom or so I think.
I contacted DJi with the issue yesterday via email and they haven't gotten back to me yet.  
I'm afraid it will do this up at 50M in the air now who knows if it's a firmware issue or a manu issue. For now I'm using manual takeoff. I did get DJi refresh but I shouldn't have to use that on day 1 from a non user error..
2016-12-27
Use props
Danny-B-
lvl.4
United Kingdom

fansadc0b8a9 Posted at 2016-12-27 17:45
I got mine Friday Dec 23rd. Flew fine in beginner mode using auto take off.
Landed powered off back on and turned off beginner mode. Waited for gps count till 11 and used auto take off. It took off and instead of hovering motors shut off and it slammed to the pavement. Luckily it was only scratched on the bottom or so I think.
I contacted DJi with the issue yesterday via email and they haven't gotten back to me yet.  

Latest firmware? ...
2016-12-27
Use props
fansadc0b8a9
New

United States

Danny-B- Posted at 2016-12-27 09:48
Latest firmware? ...

I was running the firmware it came with which was the latest at the time.
On Sunday I flew it again and I had to update the firmware. Now it lost a few modes like tripod mode.  Also some settings defaulted so I had to change.
Been flying with manual mode with no issues although still scares me.
2016-12-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules