Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Sd card error / which card should I buy ?
2183 9 2016-12-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cho7
lvl.3
France

Hi all,

Today after 5 minutes of 4K footage, my controller displayed "sd card error: check app" then I was unable to stop recording. I landed the aircraft, shut it down, then started it up. Everything was fine after this. Question : is it normal ?

Notice that I am using the 16Gb sdcard which is shipped with the Mavic.

Also, the footage is perfectly readable after all, so I don't know why controller displayed this sd card error (and why I wasn't able to stop my recording)

Thanks for your inputs !
2016-12-25
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Please try to format the SD card then test it again.
2016-12-26
Use props
Skyhawk
lvl.1

United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-26 01:12
Please try to format the SD card then test it again.

Does the card need to be formatted in the Mavic or can it be formatted on a PC? What format type is used on the SD card? I ask cause I got the same error message, "sd card error: check app" after I updated the firmware on the RC and Mavic.
2016-12-29
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Skyhawk Posted at 2016-12-29 18:44
Does the card need to be formatted in the Mavic or can it be formatted on a PC? What format type is used on the SD card? I ask cause I got the same error message, "sd card error: check app" after I updated the firmware on the RC and Mavic.

Both method are fine. You could try to format the SD card via DJI GO app first.
2016-12-30
Use props
jayh410
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11266 ft
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-30 03:55
Both method are fine. You could try to format the SD card via DJI GO app first.

Is the default fstype exfat or what?
2016-12-30
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Captain
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

jayh410 Posted at 2016-12-30 05:17

It should be FAT32
2016-12-30
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

jayh410 Posted at 2016-12-30 05:17

Just as WolfgangStiller mentioned, if you format the SD card via computer, the format should be FAT32.
2016-12-31
Use props
cho7
lvl.3
France

But as far as I know, FAT32 is limited to 4Gb per file. If you shoot 4K, it might be a problem with not-so-long videos.
2017-1-5
Use props
magstauk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 849367 ft
United Kingdom

cho7 Posted at 2017-1-5 07:06
But as far as I know, FAT32 is limited to 4Gb per file. If you shoot 4K, it might be a problem with not-so-long videos.

it will cut off and start recordng a new file which you can stitch in post
2017-1-5
Use props
kevinelliott
Second Officer
Flight distance : 354131 ft
United States

In your subject for this post you ask which card you should buy. Let me help you out with that.

First of all, the Mavic supports microSD cards that adhere to the UHS-I bus. It is highly suggested that you choose a minimum of Class 10 if you are going to be doing any 2.7K/4K recording. The Speed Rating of Class 10 is the top standard speed rating, and ensures that at least 1080P can be recorded. Ideally you want U1 or U3, which is a UHS Speed Rating. U1 is essentially comparable to Class 10, but on a UHS-I bus (rather than the previous bus). U3 is a significant boost to read/write. And cards with support for the UHS-II bus are insanely fast, but these cards are more rare and very expensive.

Note that getting a UHS-I U3 or UHS-I U1/U3 card is unnecessary with the Mavic. It will *not* make use of the additional speed at all. The recording will not be any more superior, nor will it ever take advantage of it.

The one time you will benefit from the highest speed cards is when you are copying your recording to your computer, which can take advantage of the read speed to grab your video faster. If that is truly important to you, then invest a few more bucks in your cards.

You can learn more about SD card speed ratings and buses here.
https://www.sdcard.org/developers/overview/speed_class/

I put together a site called PriceHunter (pricehunter.co) that lets you compare prices of microSD cards so you can be sure you're getting the best price. It updates from Amazon and Newegg multiple times a day. Email alerts are coming soon. Right now the cheapest and best value (and the one I use with my Mavic) is the Lexar 64GB UHS-I U1. It's more than suitable for 4K recording, but it has write/read speeds that exceed the minimum requirements of the U1 UHS Speed Rating specification too. The main point of the site is to know when the cards are worth buying, be alerted when it goes cheaper, and also to buy the card that is cheaper per gigabyte than others. Hope it's helpful
2017-1-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules