Scunna
lvl.4
United Kingdom

2016-12-26
Use props
Scunna
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Possibly lower sensors picking sofa up. Replaced all props calibrated everything good to go, will test outside tomorrow.
2016-12-26
Use props
hridge
lvl.3
Flight distance : 17651 ft
United States

Obstacles, dark flooring , low light?
2016-12-26
Use props
Scunna
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Probably low light as obstacle avoidance sensors were off,only had landing sensors on.
2016-12-26
Use props
Scunna
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I think i know what might of caused my crash. I have gone from iphone to ipad mini 4 and tx mount is tight on pad, moving the arm on mount which is rubbing on sport mode switch. Have modified now.

2016-12-26
Use props
Scunna
lvl.4
United Kingdom

First flight after yesterdays indoor crash.

2016-12-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Scunna Posted at 2016-12-26 18:16
I think i know what might of caused my crash. I have gone from iphone to ipad mini 4 and tx mount is tight on pad, moving the arm on mount which is rubbing on sport mode switch. Have modified now.

Mavic wasn't designed to video in such a small room , you would get much better video in that room using an osmo, so I think it's fair to say you caused the crash .
Love the cushion with the schnauzer,  like your second video although at the beginning you have a slightly tilted horizon, maybe gimbal calibration would sort that...
2016-12-27
Use props
Scunna
lvl.4
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-12-27 20:29
Mavic wasn't designed to video in such a small room , you would get much better video in that room using an osmo,
Love the cushion with the schnauzer,  like your second video although at the beginning you have a slightly tilted horizon, maybe gimbal calibration would sort that...

Will sort it
2016-12-27
Use props
MarcusPolus
lvl.2
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-12-27 15:29
Mavic wasn't designed to video in such a small room , you would get much better video in that room using an osmo, so I think it's fair to say you caused the crash .

size of room should not matter, if obstacle avoidance sensors.... well let me try that again..

size of room should not matter because obstacle avoidance sensors were made for indoor flight. That's why it was made as a very big selling point for DJI at the unveiling.

am I wrong? the flight did not look like anything other than a miss calculation on sensors not user error.
2016-12-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

MarcusPolus Posted at 2016-12-27 21:00
size of room should not matter, if obstacle avoidance sensors.... well let me try that again..

size of room should not matter because obstacle avoidance sensors were made for indoor flight. That's why it was made as a very big selling point for DJI at the unveiling.

I think you will find size of room is very relevant to flying drones indoors, a heck of a lot of damage can be done by these drones, OA was not designed specifically for flying indoors if you consider OA works at 15 meters you need to be in a very large space for this to work properly,
If you think this drone was designed to film or photo small sitting rooms you need to think again, almost any hand held camera or video camera or phone will do this job much easier and better,
These drones were primarily designed for aerial photography, and yes there are some indoor places that these drones can maybe be of use very large buildings churches halls etc.
And yes OP is entitled to fly his drone where he likes, that doesn't make it right or good practice, and the fact that he crashed only goes to prove my point.
2016-12-27
Use props
MarcusPolus
lvl.2
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-12-27 17:25
I think you will find size of room is very relevant to flying drones indoors, a heck of a lot of damage can be done by these drones, OA was not designed specifically for flying indoors if you consider OA works at 15 meters you need to be in a very large space for this to work properly,
If you think this drone was designed to film or photo small sitting rooms you need to think again, almost any hand held camera or video camera or phone will do this job much easier and better,
These drones were primarily designed for aerial photography, and yes there are some indoor places that these drones can maybe be of use very large buildings churches halls etc.

I don't think you understood my, comment. I was saying that if someone makes the comment that most people can use something indoors, and use it well. Does not make it seem that most people have a basketball court they have to use it.

If I say, I build a car for everyone to be able to use indoors, would you think I'm saying that only a very few people can use it because they are rich enough to have an indoor race track? No... just like DJI said that ease of use for indoor flight, they did not say that only people with basketball court size areas can do this. if a sensor goes a little crazy, doesn't mean you fly bad. It just seemed like a bad calculation on the sonar, and a possible misread on the front sensors.
2016-12-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

MarcusPolus Posted at 2016-12-27 22:40
I don't think you understood my, comment. I was saying that if someone makes the comment that most people can use something indoors, and use it well. Does not make it seem that most people have a basketball court they have to use it.

If I say, I build a car for everyone to be able to use indoors, would you think I'm saying that only a very few people can use it because they are rich enough to have an indoor race track? No... just like DJI said that ease of use for indoor flight, they did not say that only people with basketball court size areas can do this. if a sensor goes a little crazy, doesn't mean you fly bad. It just seemed like a bad calculation on the sonar, and a possible misread on the front sensors.

Yes a very small portion of the dji blurb advertises flying indoors, you seem to be implying this was the groundbreaking for Mavic many drones before Mavic have flown indoors,  before Mavic P4 had the same OA and yes you could fly it indoors, but most people realized that indoors didn't mean in your house but rather relevant indoor spaces.
Can you offer a good reason why someone would buy a drone to fly around there inside there house, because that's what you seem to be implying.
2016-12-27
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Scunna Posted at 2016-12-27 13:08
First flight after yesterdays indoor crash.

Sorry for your crash, looks like the Mavic is in perfect shape by seeing this video.
Please be careful flying indoors and know all the limitations of the sensors.
2016-12-27
Use props
damaltor
lvl.2

Canada

MarcusPolus Posted at 2016-12-28 06:40

The front sensors were off, as stated by the OP. If the OA were left on, the mavic wouldn't take off, because there wouldn't be sufficient clearance between it and the walls. This to me, obviously indicates the mavic is not intended to fly in such a confined space.
2016-12-27
Use props
Scunna
lvl.4
United Kingdom

My sitting room is quite narrow, wont try again.
2016-12-27
Use props
MarcusPolus
lvl.2
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-12-27 17:58
Yes a very small portion of the dji blurb advertises flying indoors, you seem to be implying this was the groundbreaking for Mavic many drones before Mavic have flown indoors,  before Mavic P4 had the same OA and yes you could fly it indoors, but most people realized that indoors didn't mean in your house but rather relevant indoor spaces.
Can you offer a good reason why someone would buy a drone to fly around there inside there house, because that's what you seem to be implying.

Many reasons, I will not publish online. ONLY because I actually use some of them for my business, and I'm not ready to "give away" some my trade secrets JUST YET.
hallmark007 I currently use a unit specifically for indoor products but I do not use this indoors exclusively. A camera with gimbal does just fine, for most things but not all.

damaltor & hallmark007
Maybe I did not think that particular room was big enough, but I also did not think it was too small seems about a 12'x10' with a wall (fireplace) angled a bit.

Also, damaltor  I must have missed the part where he said the sensors were turned off.

Nonetheless, Scunna thank you for sharing the video, this will help me in some of my indoor flights.
2016-12-28
Use props
Scunna
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Only bottom sensors were on. Your welcome.
2016-12-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

MarcusPolus Posted at 2016-12-28 14:25
Many reasons, I will not publish online. ONLY because I actually use some of them for my business, and I'm not ready to "give away" some my trade secrets JUST YET.

damaltor & hallmark007

It may not have been to small to fly a drone, but it was to small to fly the Mavic with the OA sensors on,  so what is your point, as I have said already these drones are not designed to fly around inside houses, and dji have never advertised this.
I think if your trying to run a business flying this drone around small houses you've picked the wrong equipment and maybe would have been better advised to choose more suitable equipment.
I've been flying drones for a while now, I have never heard of anyone using them to photograph or video inside houses, so I don't know whether to congratulate you on being so innovative or commiserate with you on such a bad decision.
2016-12-28
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-12-28 08:00
It may not have been to small to fly a drone, but it was to small to fly the Mavic with the OA sensors on,  so what is your point, as I have said already these drones are not designed to fly around inside houses, and dji have never advertised this.
I think if your trying to run a business flying this drone around small houses you've picked the wrong equipment and maybe would have been better advised to choose more suitable equipment.
I've been flying drones for a while now, I have never heard of anyone using them to photograph or video inside houses, so I don't know whether to congratulate you on being so innovative or commiserate with you on such a bad decision.

I agree, for anything indoors you can use a Osmo and if you need to get it higher you can use an extension rod. I would only use a drone indoors if it were a large indoor facility and you needed to fly high up in like a church or some kind of structure like that.
To fly around indoors in a regular house, I think eventually there may be a mishap.
2016-12-28
Use props
MarcusPolus
lvl.2
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-12-28 10:00

Its ok, its not your fault that you do not know.
There are many.... Ill stop there. and say video indoors has been done for years with different devices, and for very different reasons.
There is also a thing called FPV. They use them in large and small areas.
Anyway, this conversation has gone a little off. But yes they have said its for indoor use. to be precise... tripod mode is considered to be "a" if not "the" (indoor) mode for it.

2016-12-28
Use props
Scunna
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Well it still flies well . Check this out.

2016-12-28
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Scunna Posted at 2016-12-28 12:21

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExmPzyCD6e4

Great looking video, awesome scenery.
2016-12-28
Use props
Scunna
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Thanks Ken
2016-12-28
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

No problem at all.
2016-12-28
Use props
damaltor
lvl.2

Canada

Yeah nice video Scunna, thanks for sharing that.
2016-12-28
Use props
Scunna
lvl.4
United Kingdom

damaltor Posted at 2016-12-29 00:10
Yeah nice video Scunna, thanks for sharing that.

Your welcome.
2016-12-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Scunna Posted at 2016-12-28 11:21

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExmPzyCD6e4

Nice video Scunna, good job..
2016-12-29
Use props
fans4d81a2d9
lvl.1

United States

I crashed mine on first flight after being peer pressured on Christmas to turn it on by my brother-in-law.  Luckily my wife's finger took the bulk of the damage, lol.  She's speaking to me again and the drone is safe!
2016-12-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

fans4d81a2d9 Posted at 2016-12-29 08:27
I crashed mine on first flight after being peer pressured on Christmas to turn it on by my brother-in-law.  Luckily my wife's finger took the bulk of the damage, lol.  She's speaking to me again and the drone is safe!

It's great to have a wife who will put her life on the line, for your Mavic , True love is.. lol
Hope your wife's hand gets better soon.
2016-12-29
Use props
Mikedefieslife
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6627 ft
United Kingdom

All the OP did was post a video. He didn't even ask why it crashed, or seem to care (since flying in doors is obviously a risk). I'm not sure why it prompted people to start going on about how the Mavic isn't designed to be used in indoors, he use an Osmo instead etc.. etc.. OP wasn't complaining just sharing his little mishap.

Now I want to see someone install some of those ebay prop guards on the Mavic and run it into a wall (at relatively low speed).
2016-12-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Mikedefieslife Posted at 2016-12-29 09:16
All the OP did was post a video. He didn't even ask why it crashed, or seem to care (since flying in doors is obviously a risk). I'm not sure why it prompted people to start going on about how the Mavic isn't designed to be used in indoors, he use an Osmo instead etc.. etc.. OP wasn't complaining just sharing his little mishap.

Now I want to see someone install some of those ebay prop guards on the Mavic and run it into a wall (at relatively low speed).

You think the OP posted the video , so no one would or should comment, this is a forum, where people post stuff for others to comment on, and that's what people did, so the forum works,

I think if you read other posts by OP you will find he says he will not be trying that again,
2016-12-29
Use props
z4k4tt4ck
lvl.3
Flight distance : 535 ft
Australia

MarcusPolus Posted at 2016-12-28 07:28
Its ok, its not your fault that you do not know.
There are many.... Ill stop there. and say video indoors has been done for years with different devices, and for very different reasons.
There is also a thing called FPV. They use them in large and small areas.

Well really.....(top secret) to fly.

I really don't think you understand that (removed for national security).

Maybe you should try (Need to know basis and you don't need to know)

Well good luck with ....( I'll stop here.)
2016-12-29
Use props
MarcusPolus
lvl.2
United States

z4k4tt4ck Posted at 2016-12-29 12:31

Yes top secret how did you know?
you must be in the know.

No obviously not a secret to fly, but in how you use a particular tool  in a way some people haven't, just might make it a good thing to keep to ones self.. especially if it makes you money because its not used by others like that.

Just like the first Uber driver to offer a little box of candy (get a candy for a quarter box) he made an extra $100 a day until others found out and started doing similar things also in his area.
1.jpg
2016-12-29
Use props
MarcusPolus
lvl.2
United States

z4k4tt4ck Posted at 2016-12-29 12:31

You use the same tool everyone has in a different way, to benefit you just a little more than others.

If you don't understand, there was an item on the ground that people walk around every day, one day.. a guy decided to Google that item, it turns out people don't use it EVER.
So, he decided to grab it and throw it at a rat, kills the rat and eats it..
The guy... his name was Mr. Caveman
Mr. Caveman now has food without running after it.

A tool that everyone has access to, but one person uses it differently.

z4k4tt4ck next time... just don't.... just no next time...
2016-12-29
Use props
jet8
New

China

obstacle avoid system definitely works not well with white walls
2016-12-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules