Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
FIRST USEFUL MAVIC PHOTO – CAUGHT POACHER!
2300 26 2016-12-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
C-123 & C-130 G
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7962966 ft
United States

I've enjoyed using the Mavic for interesting and beautiful video and photos– but the first purposeful photo I've taken was used to nab a trespassing poacher on our lake behind our house. Seeing him in the area I first flew over where I thought he might have parked his car and photoed his license plate. Then I shot a few images of him ice fishing, sent them to the local sheriff and voilà, one poacher nabbed.

poacher caught in act

poacher caught in act
2016-12-26
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Captain
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

Good work!  
2016-12-26
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
First Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

No way! That's awesome... Stopping crime while sipping coffee with feet up lol
2016-12-26
Use props
Petroboy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3681 ft
Canada

Is ice fishing considered "poaching" now, or did he just not have a fishing license?
2016-12-26
Use props
colonel00
lvl.3

United States

Well, according to the OP, he was at least trespassing.  If you are getting technical, unless he was fishing out of season or like you said, without a license, perhaps poaching isn't technically correct.  However, as a outdoorsman, hunter and fisherman, I consider it poaching when you are violating the regulations.
2016-12-26
Use props
C-123 & C-130 G
lvl.4
United States

colonel00 Posted at 2016-12-27 00:11
Well, according to the OP, he was at least trespassing.  If you are getting technical, unless he was fishing out of season or like you said, without a license, perhaps poaching isn't technically correct.  However, as a outdoorsman, hunter and fisherman, I consider it poaching when you are violating the regulations.

I lease the lake adjacent to my home, including the road around the far side, and cover the liability insurance. Every access is posted no trespassing as my lease requires. I'm not sure of this detail, but I was told that in our county, and perhaps others, if trespassing restrictions aren't enforced they're not considered valid. When we checked with the county they explained any trespasser fishing is also a poacher regardless of being licensed or not.

The lake has mostly Northern Pike, some smallmouth bass, and somebody snuck in Asian carp.

The poacher had six holes with lines dropped. Whatever conversation he had with the sheriff is between them.
2016-12-27
Use props
NomadRT
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1669012 ft
United States

colonel00 Posted at 2016-12-27 01:11

Poaching is considered sneaking onto private property without permission to hunt or fish.

Laws vary by state.   
2016-12-27
Use props
KayakMark34
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1808 ft
United States

Thats Awesome!
2016-12-27
Use props
Schwavic
lvl.4

United States

colonel00 Posted at 2016-12-26 23:11

It's poaching if you're taking game you don't have the rights to...  OP has rights to the lake/game and the trespasser doesn't.
2016-12-27
Use props
Petroboy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3681 ft
Canada

C-123 & C-130 G Posted at 2016-12-27 01:16
I lease the lake adjacent to my home, including the road around the far side, and cover the liability insurance. Every access is posted no trespassing as my lease requires. I'm not sure of this detail, but I was told that in our county, and perhaps others, if trespassing restrictions aren't enforced they're not considered valid. When we checked with the county they explained any trespasser fishing is also a poacher regardless of being licensed or not.

The lake has mostly Northern Pike, some smallmouth bass, and somebody snuck in Asian carp.

I stand corrected.  I just haven't come across many people who own their own lake unless they have a considerable amount of land.  I guess it depends on your definition of the size of the water body.  Nonetheless, if it's your own property, then by all means it would be considered poaching.
2016-12-27
Use props
MarcusPolus
lvl.1
United States

#SweetShot
2016-12-27
Use props
z4k4tt4ck
lvl.4
Flight distance : 535 ft
Australia

So some dude comes onto your land without permission and then stands there like a moron with his hands out as though he has no idea what the problem is ..... I would have shot him. Good job i hope he received a massive fine.
2016-12-27
Use props
czkidd
lvl.1
Flight distance : 991 ft
United States

z4k4tt4ck Posted at 2016-12-27 13:05
So some dude comes onto your land without permission and then stands there like a moron with his hands out as though he has no idea what the problem is ..... I would have shot him. Good job i hope he received a massive fine.

No wonder your gov took away your guns.  Dummy!
2016-12-28
Use props
thehippoz
Captain
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Midwest you'd probably get a warning shot. Here in central valley, westside people are too chill for that. lol @ poucher caught red handed. He didn't even try to take the drone down?
2016-12-28
Use props
Watty2000
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1074301 ft
United Kingdom

Nice to read a story about one of these things being used productively. Good job!
2016-12-28
Use props
C-123 & C-130 G
lvl.4
United States

Today, two more poachers caught with Mavic

Motors folding ice tent

Motors folding ice tent

Cops watching poachers leave

Cops watching poachers leave
2017-1-3
Use props
Willik
Second Officer
Flight distance : 638796 ft
Czechia

Heh :-)
nice work done! Only a friendly advice, do not publish faces or plate nums here at forum or anywhere else on the Internet (even if its a poacher / murder or whatever) only Police can do that.
Since you can get yourself into trouble (due to the privacy protection / personal data protection...)
Sounds crazy? Maybe... but its a fact... :-)
Cheers!
2017-1-3
Use props
C-123 & C-130 G
lvl.4
United States

Petroboy Posted at 2016-12-27 10:17
I stand corrected.  I just haven't come across many people who own their own lake unless they have a considerable amount of land.  I guess it depends on your definition of the size of the water body.  Nonetheless, if it's your own property, then by all means it would be considered poaching.

I guess it is fair to call it a pond...3100' long but only 500 across.
2017-1-19
Use props
SoapyGolem
lvl.1
Flight distance : 372625 ft
United States

Haha That's funny!
2017-1-19
Use props
CuaC
First Officer
Flight distance : 369626 ft
Germany

Are they aware that's your property and that what they do is illegal? I mean... maybe I'm too European, but maybe they didn't know..
2017-1-19
Use props
Daedalus
lvl.3
Flight distance : 557552 ft
  • >>>
Cyprus

Petroboy Posted at 2016-12-26 20:51
Is ice fishing considered "poaching" now, or did he just not have a fishing license?

Private property
2017-1-20
Use props
A1000
lvl.4
Flight distance : 149760 ft
United Kingdom

Nice work, good to see a positive use of a drone rather than the usual more negative ones!
2017-1-20
Use props
BentonJoyce
Second Officer
Flight distance : 234318 ft
United States

haha wow thats a pretty awesome nice work!
2017-1-22
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 362510 ft
Australia

czkidd Posted at 2016-12-28 15:37
No wonder your gov took away your guns.  Dummy!

No, our government did not take away our guns. Dummy!

We have restrictions that dont allow school masacres. Not happy about that?

Best thing about Mavic is to record on phone as well as SDXC incase Mavic shot out the sky by poachers, you still have footage of perp.

2017-1-23
Use props
Gagaryn
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6447 ft
United Kingdom

Willik Posted at 2017-1-3 05:07
Heh :-)
nice work done! Only a friendly advice, do not publish faces or plate nums here at forum or anywhere else on the Internet (even if its a poacher / murder or whatever) only Police can do that.
Since you can get yourself into trouble (due to the privacy protection / personal data protection...)

This is excellent advice.
2017-1-23
Use props
lachyb
lvl.1
United Kingdom

This is awesome! You might want to cover his face though as you never know with defamation cases etc.
2017-1-23
Use props
Taylor3535
lvl.1

United States

There ya go!
2017-1-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules