Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Flying with a Nvidia shield
12Next >
13238 41 2016-12-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fanseb85c303
lvl.4

United States

I am waiting for a Nvidia shield and my drone.  Do you recommend flying in airplane mode or turning WI Fi off or leaving both on.  I have heard so many different things.  What is the best and safest way to set up your tablet?
2016-12-27
Use props
Peter Galbavy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 545377 ft
United Kingdom

When I have used mine (with a tablet holder) it's worked fine with WiFI on. I normally use a smaller tablet that fits in the arms but it was out of batteries, so the last time I used it was not that long ago.
2016-12-27
Use props
Enkeixpress
Second Officer
Flight distance : 297497 ft
United Kingdom

I own an NVIDIA Shield K1 tablet but I prefer flying with an iOS device, such as the iPad Mini 4 or the iPod Touch 6th Generation, as DJI seem to favor those devices over Android devices. For e.g. the iOS version of the DJI Go 4 app receives updates first, and seems to be more stable to use. I own both of those iOS devices myself btw.
2016-12-27
Use props
Mir
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2718491 ft
  • >>>
United States

I also use a Nvidia shield K1, it's now my primary screen for the Mavic. A few tips:

- For smoother flying I disable the DJI App's local video recording. Instead I use Mobizen to record my whole screen.
- I set the tablet for "Max Performance" mode
-  Under "Performance and Power" options, set "Tegra PRISM Dynamic backlight" to OFF, it will give you a bit more screen brightness- Disable/uninstall any app you're not going to use
- I also set the tablet to Airplane mode, otherwise it will keep pinging for wifi in the 2.4ghz band, same as your mavic frequency.

Overall I've found my shots to be ten times better using a tablet and I can see a whole lot more detail while flying.
2016-12-27
Use props
Socalrob
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5892 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mir Posted at 2016-12-27 10:13
I also use a Nvidia shield K1, it's now my primary screen for the Mavic. A few tips:

- For smoother flying I disable the DJI App's local video recording. Instead I use Mobizen to record my whole screen.

I also have the nvidia shield k1 and I'm waiting for a holder. My lg v20 phone isn't working well with the DJI go4 app but I'm still trying things. Thanks for your setup info, I'll try those settings when I get the holder.
2016-12-27
Use props
fanseb85c303
lvl.4

United States

Thank you MIR
2016-12-28
Use props
fanseb85c303
lvl.4

United States

MIR a couple more questions.  How do you disable DJI recording and use Mobizen??? Is that an app?  And also can you activate a new drone with a Nvidia shield because it is not a DJI approved device.  
2016-12-28
Use props
JustABill
lvl.1

United States

Just picked up a Nvidia Shield K1 tablet....  so far so good with this device and my Mavic Pro.  The specs speak for themselves...  
Dedicated GPU: NVIDIA Tegra K1 192 core Kepler GPU
CPU: 2.2 GHz ARM Cortex A15 with 2 GB RAM

Not as "square" and "bulky" looking as an ipad mini.....
2016-12-28
Use props
fanseb85c303
lvl.4

United States

How are you recording your screen and where do you save it too?  Did you activate your drone with the shield?
2016-12-28
Use props
Mir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

You can disable local cache recording in the DJI app settings, I believe it's under general settings. This is just my preference though.

Mobizen is an app you can get from the app store. It records your whole screen, so you can play it back in case something goes wrong or to look at your telemetry again.
2016-12-28
Use props
fanseb85c303
lvl.4

United States

Thank you.  I thought the shield has its own screen recording is all.  Why is the app more beneficial
2016-12-28
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

JustABill Posted at 2016-12-28 06:49
Just picked up a Nvidia Shield K1 tablet....  so far so good with this device and my Mavic Pro.  The specs speak for themselves...  
Dedicated GPU: NVIDIA Tegra K1 192 core Kepler GPU
CPU: 2.2 GHz ARM Cortex A15 with 2 GB RAM

Does your Shield fit in the holder slots, or do you have to remove the inserts. I have a iPad Mini 3 and it just barely fits in the inserts and it's perfect where it sits.
I see the Shield is just a little thicker so I didn't know if it would fit or not.
2016-12-28
Use props
Peter Galbavy
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Ken, shield is far too wide let alone deep to fit. I have a 7" tablet that just fits, and that's right and worries me about the arms enough.
2016-12-28
Use props
fans093fc0b7
lvl.1
Flight distance : 514373 ft
United States

Peter Galbavy Posted at 2016-12-27 23:40
When I have used mine (with a tablet holder) it's worked fine with WiFI on. I normally use a smaller tablet that fits in the arms but it was out of batteries, so the last time I used it was not that long ago.

What tablet holder do you use?
2016-12-28
Use props
fanseb85c303
lvl.4

United States

I dont have my mavic yet but I ordered a custom tablet adapter from Etsy.
2016-12-28
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Peter Galbavy Posted at 2016-12-28 12:19
Ken, shield is far too wide let alone deep to fit. I have a 7" tablet that just fits, and that's right and worries me about the arms enough.

Thanks, I didn't think it would fit. I may get one to support Android users.
I used to have one but got rid of it as the battery would go dead very quickly, my iPAds will last almost a week.
2016-12-28
Use props
JDBull
Second Officer
Flight distance : 917054 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for the Shield setting tips as I'm new to the Shield.  I just got it because I wanted a bigger screen and to use the HDMI out into my FatShark Dominator V3's.  I'm using the 3D printed "Z" clips to hold the Shield in place.  The problem I'm having is I can't get the Shield display to rotate so the HDMI port is on the lower right side.  The FatShark's work great but with the "Z" clips and the HDMI port on the upper left side it doesn't work becasue the tablet sits to high and interferes with the sticks.  How do I get the Shield display to rotate?
BTW as far as FPV goes, the FatSharks are $349 and the Nvidia $200 so it's a $550 FPV solution.  I like the size of the FatSharks and the 720P image.  I don't like the additonal HDMI cable going to my head.  I also tried the Litchi and a VR goggle setup.  The head tracking of Litchi is cool but I don't like the bulky VR googles and much prefer FatShark size.

Here's to hoping DJI comes out with a wireless FPV headset that's not to big and bulky nor too expensive.
2016-12-28
Use props
Peter Galbavy
Second Officer
United Kingdom

fans093fc0b7 Posted at 2016-12-28 19:30
What tablet holder do you use?

I got this via a Chinese reseller on Amazon UK (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N97XNYV) - it's "ok" but not special. I don't like the very long fixed arm which can be made even longer. On the other hand, the spring grip is stronger than it feels and holds the shield by the narrow side only, so you have to rotate it to have the grip top/bottom, unlike my smaller 7" tablet which fits left/right. I think that the balance is better with the top/bottom grip however as the ball joint is off center when the spring moves, so up/down is easier to balance than left/right.
2016-12-28
Use props
Chazzm
lvl.1

United States

JDBull Posted at 2016-12-28 15:16
Thanks for the Shield setting tips as I'm new to the Shield.  I just got it because I wanted a bigger screen and to use the HDMI out into my FatShark Dominator V3's.  I'm using the 3D printed "Z" clips to hold the Shield in place.  The problem I'm having is I can't get the Shield display to rotate so the HDMI port is on the lower right side.  The FatShark's work great but with the "Z" clips and the HDMI port on the upper left side it doesn't work becasue the tablet sits to high and interferes with the sticks.  How do I get the Shield display to rotate?
BTW as far as FPV goes, the FatSharks are $349 and the Nvidia $200 so it's a $550 FPV solution.  I like the size of the FatSharks and the 720P image.  I don't like the additonal HDMI cable going to my head.  I also tried the Litchi and a VR goggle setup.  The head tracking of Litchi is cool but I don't like the bulky VR googles and much prefer FatShark size.

I have the exact same setup, meaning Fat Shark Dominator V3, But am awaiting a new nvidia shield K1, my granddaughter got ahold of my last one ( my fault) my question is where can I get ahold of these Z clips??? I've searched high and low, and since I don't have a 3D printer,,,,,,could you make/sell me a set for mine? Or a least show me where I can get a set???????? Please?
2016-12-29
Use props
Mir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I've flown fpv with the shield > hdmi out > fatsharks. To be honest it's not that great of an experience. The text is legible and you can fly it, but I much prefer looking at the Shield's screen. The nice thing about the fatshark though is it blocks out the sun, so you can definitely see easier.
2016-12-29
Use props
phantom_of_the_
lvl.3
Flight distance : 90459 ft
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-28 12:36
Thanks, I didn't think it would fit. I may get one to support Android users.
I used to have one but got rid of it as the battery would go dead very quickly, my iPAds will last almost a week.

Hi Ken, any chance you could have it added to the list of DJI's recommended Android devices? As far as I know it still hasn't been added, even though its one of the most popular out there. I think that list needs a good updating in general to be honest.
2016-12-29
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

phantom_of_the_ Posted at 2016-12-29 10:31
Hi Ken, any chance you could have it added to the list of DJI's recommended Android devices? As far as I know it still hasn't been added, even though its one of the most popular out there. I think that list needs a good updating in general to be honest.

I will ask and see what they say.
2016-12-29
Use props
eurocenter
lvl.3
Flight distance : 12339 ft
Greece

Peter Galbavy Posted at 2016-12-28 11:19

Using a Tablet With Your DJI Mavic Pro Quad

2016-12-29
Use props
JustABill
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-28 11:16
Does your Shield fit in the holder slots, or do you have to remove the inserts. I have a iPad Mini 3 and it just barely fits in the inserts and it's perfect where it sits.
I see the Shield is just a little thicker so I didn't know if it would fit or not.

mavmount.com makes a great adapter.
2017-1-9
Use props
puredata
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-29 10:33
I will ask and see what they say.

Is there any updates on this? Thanks in advance.
2017-1-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

puredata Posted at 2017-1-9 14:50
Is there any updates on this? Thanks in advance.

No, nothing yet.
2017-1-9
Use props
Mavic 007
lvl.3
United States

Mir Posted at 2016-12-29 10:22
I've flown fpv with the shield > hdmi out > fatsharks. To be honest it's not that great of an experience. The text is legible and you can fly it, but I much prefer looking at the Shield's screen. The nice thing about the fatshark though is it blocks out the sun, so you can definitely see easier.

Totally agree, I had the fatshark dominator v3 hd set in use with the k1, and the video quality was awful. Sent those back and picked up the Yuneec Skyview for half the price and the field of view and image is so much better.

A buddy and I hiked up a mountain near Madrid Spain to King Ferdinand II hunting lodge ruins to get some areal shots and he was blown away by the video quality of the goggles. He wore them while I controlled the Mavic through the K1.

DJI_0019_v2.jpg
2017-1-9
Use props
puredata
lvl.1

United States

Thank you for your answer.

Could you please clarify if we use our aircraft with NVIDIA Shield and something goes bad, are we completely ruled out of being considered for examination of the case by DJI because it wasn't on the supported device list? Does using Shield Tablet void warranty?

Thanks in advance again.
2017-1-10
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

puredata Posted at 2017-1-10 16:15

Could you please clarify if we use our aircraft with NVIDIA Shield and something goes bad, are we completely ruled out of being considered for examination of the case by DJI because it wasn't on the supported device list? Does using Shield Tablet void warranty?

I would not think sing a Shield K does not void your warranty.
If your device crashes or has an error, you still have full control of the aircraft with the RC.
2017-1-11
Use props
phantom_of_the_
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Mavic 007 Posted at 2017-1-9 15:40
Totally agree, I had the fatshark dominator v3 hd set in use with the k1, and the video quality was awful. Sent those back and picked up the Yuneec Skyview for half the price and the field of view and image is so much better.

A buddy and I hiked up a mountain near Madrid Spain to King Ferdinand II hunting lodge ruins to get some areal shots and he was blown away by the video quality of the goggles. He wore them while I controlled the Mavic through the K1.

Thank you for sharing that experience. That is very useful information, as I was looking into the Dominators. So I owe you a beer for saving me the bother of sending them back
2017-1-11
Use props
phantom_of_the_
lvl.3
United Kingdom

puredata Posted at 2017-1-10 16:15

Good question. However I am unsure if DJI can tell exactly what device you are using. Is this recorded in any logs? Hmmm
2017-1-11
Use props
Mavic 007
lvl.3
United States

phantom_of_the_ Posted at 2017-1-11 13:50
Thank you for sharing that experience. That is very useful information, as I was looking into the Dominators. So I owe you a beer for saving me the bother of sending them back

Not a problem. Truth be told, I would dump the K1 and Yuneec when the DJI goggles come out, but that will depend on the price for sure. I wonder if they will be vaporware given the line of sight rules in most countries.
2017-1-11
Use props
Clarxhouse
lvl.1
Flight distance : 160102 ft
United States

I am using a Shield with my Mavic and DJI GO 4.  My HD signal bars flash all of the time no matter if I am at my house or out in the country with nothing around.  If I go into the POI intelligent flight mode the DJI GO 4 app will shut down.  Does anyone have any recommendations on this?  I also fly in airplane mode but when doing this I can not see the Here map because I am offline.  I have tried installing here on my device and downloading the map and switching it to work offline but that does not work as well.  If I use Litchi and download a map using Google maps the map works fine.  Does anyone have a workaround for using the Here maps while being offline?  Sorry for so many questions but this is becoming very frustrating.  I have about $1700 wrapped up in this drone with all of the accessories and I am scared to fly the dang thing because of all of the issues with the DJO Go 4 app and now they won't allow you to use the original Go app because the Mavic is not supported.  i guess I could go out and buy a $400 Ipad mini 4 but I have never used an Apple product and don't really want to start now or spend the money and the Ipad Mini's don't have gps so that won't support the return to home from the PIC.  Ken do you have any suggestions on this?
2017-2-12
Use props
FlipFlop
New
Flight distance : 4439 ft
United Kingdom

I've just ordered this holder so I can try and use my shield instead of my old smart phone. Will let you know what it's like:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/prod ... 0?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2017-3-22
Use props
bomberuk
First Officer
Flight distance : 16759 ft
United Kingdom

dont upgrade the firmware on the shield to 7.0 keep it at 6.01 or the dji go 4 app crashes all the time,i had to downgrade my shield k1 firmware to 6.01
2017-3-22
Use props
hridge
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17651 ft
United States

Mir Posted at 2016-12-27 10:13

How is the screen quality/ brightness in the sunlight?

Just found this... comparison
2017-3-22
Use props
Mir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

hridge Posted at 2017-3-22 08:26
How is the screen quality/ brightness in the sunlight?

Just found this... comparison

As with all current devices.. it sucks under sunlight. I always find some shade to stand under. If you have some shade, looks just fine.
2017-3-23
Use props
JBuck
New
Flight distance : 322398 ft
United States

Several flights on this tablet now. Running Google 6. No disconnects, and minimal latency. So far it's a keeper.
2017-3-26
Use props
R&L Aerial
Captain
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

The nvidia shield flys quite well if you throw it like a frisby
2017-3-26
Use props
fans27b2a16a
lvl.1
Flight distance : 254324 ft

Argentina

I'm having some problems with my K1, after updating the latest version of DJI Go4, the image is frozen, do you guys have the same problem? Flight with a Phantom 4 ... Thank you !!
2017-4-13
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules