Brilliant Mavic Accessory (someone should make these)
4262 29 2016-12-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dana5
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14354 ft
United States

This guy, who has a number of innovative videos, and is clearly a genius, posted this one a while back. It's such a brilliant idea, that I really wish someone would make these as a purchasable accessory. I would absolutely buy one.

2016-12-27
Use props
Bucefalo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 444944 ft
Italy

woaw.. i love these diy things
2016-12-27
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

pretty cool, good tutorial.
2016-12-27
Use props
Gary Mac
lvl.4
Flight distance : 741683 ft
United States

I have 2 replacement covers on order.  I plan to make two sun shades, one for me and one for my other Mavic... which is eventually going to my father.  

Nice tutorial and a simple DIY solution!
2016-12-27
Use props
c_future
lvl.4
Austria

Cool stuff
Just rebuilt it and now the paintwork is drying

Doing the Tape meassurement takes the longest time
I hope i didnt cut out too much on the side since i also wanted to be sure when the gimbal compensates jaw moves
2016-12-27
Use props
dana5
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-28 03:17
pretty cool, good tutorial.

Ken,
This would be a good one for the engineers at DJI to see. If this were an OEM accessoy, it would sell like hotcakes.

It fixes glare and protects the gimbal and camera without hindering video quality or cooling.

I bet if more people saw this video, masses of people would be doing this modification.
2016-12-28
Use props
dana5
lvl.3
United States

The same guy also made this video... ANOTHER brilliant idea.

2016-12-28
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

dana5 Posted at 2016-12-28 09:07
Ken,
This would be a good one for the engineers at DJI to see. If this were an OEM accessoy, it would sell like hotcakes.

I agree, and I'm sure they've already thought of it. If they don't come out with one then they didn't want to and are leaving it to 3rd parties to profit from it.
2016-12-28
Use props
jayh410
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11266 ft
United States

cool, wonder if someone could do this, scan it in and 3d print it?
2016-12-28
Use props
Angelo26
lvl.4
Flight distance : 799718 ft
Austria

GENIOUS !
2016-12-28
Use props
MikeQView
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Really neat fix !   love it,  mine will be receiving this action shortly
2016-12-28
Use props
softgrapes
lvl.2

United States

Somebody is already selling a 3d printed version of it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mavic-Le ... 26sd%3D332053095432
2016-12-28
Use props
dana5
lvl.3
United States

$27 is a little steep for what you are getting... But at least someone is making one. Perhaps others will make them soon, and the cost will become more reasonable, in the $10-$15 range.
2016-12-28
Use props
softgrapes
lvl.2

United States

Agreed. Here's the model if anyone has a printer and wants to make one. https://www.youmagine.com/designs/dji-mavic-sun-cover
2016-12-28
Use props
JasonMBryant
lvl.3

China

softgrapes Posted at 2016-12-29 08:20
Agreed. Here's the model if anyone has a printer and wants to make one. https://www.youmagine.com/designs/dji-mavic-sun-cover

Thanks!

Now I just hope my printer still works.
2016-12-28
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

This one might be better. Going with pgy nd filters first before buy into any of these. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mavic-Pe ... ic-pro/232178821922
2016-12-28
Use props
softgrapes
lvl.2

United States

JasonMBryant Posted at 2016-12-28 18:26
Thanks!

Now I just hope my printer still works.

Send me one ;)
2016-12-28
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 362510 ft
Australia

Does anyone know if this cover obstructs vision when gimbal moves with turning UAV stick imputs? Sorry forgot name of function.
2016-12-28
Use props
softgrapes
lvl.2

United States

Looks like it would if you fly aggressively  
2016-12-30
Use props
softgrapes
lvl.2

United States

another one, also expensive:  http://www.fstop-labs.com/produc ... de-and-gimbal-guard
2017-1-3
Use props
jayh410
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11266 ft
United States

softgrapes Posted at 2016-12-28 16:20

Hey, thanks for this, I actually used this file to have a couple printed using 3dhub.  I had two made with PLA and two with PLA Plus.  The PLA is kind of glossy so that kind of defeats the purpose of having it there.  The pla plus is less glossy so I flew using that.  One thing is, using pla plus, the little tab at the top is a little too thin and is prone to snapping.  The local I dealt with via 3dhub had a couple suggestions and I'll probably do a little redesign, which he'll end up with doing in solidworks format, which I'll eventually link to or upload.
  I need to review the test flight I did over the weekend because it looks like when doing a quick pan the gimbal would go past and you'd see the edge of the new gimbal cover.  I was still using the default camera settings, not cinematic mode, so maybe maybe a slower pan would make a difference, because it'd see the edge and then recenter.  Either that or I'd need to cut back some more even.
  I'm new at drone filming and 3dprinting so I'm still trying to figure things out so take anything I say with a shaker of salt.  I'll probably post some footage of what I'm talking about in the next day or so.
2017-1-3
Use props
softgrapes
lvl.2

United States

jayh410 Posted at 2017-1-3 08:16
Hey, thanks for this, I actually used this file to have a couple printed using 3dhub.  I had two made with PLA and two with PLA Plus.  The PLA is kind of glossy so that kind of defeats the purpose of having it there.  The pla plus is less glossy so I flew using that.  One thing is, using pla plus, the little tab at the top is a little too thin and is prone to snapping.  The local I dealt with via 3dhub had a couple suggestions and I'll probably do a little redesign, which he'll end up with doing in solidworks format, which I'll eventually link to or upload.
  I need to review the test flight I did over the weekend because it looks like when doing a quick pan the gimbal would go past and you'd see the edge of the new gimbal cover.  I was still using the default camera settings, not cinematic mode, so maybe maybe a slower pan would make a difference, because it'd see the edge and then recenter.  Either that or I'd need to cut back some more even.
  I'm new at drone filming and 3dprinting so I'm still trying to figure things out so take anything I say with a shaker of salt.  I'll probably post some footage of what I'm talking about in the next day or so.

Glad it helped. I am waiting on a 3d printer myself and have been collecting useful files here and there, thought I'd share that one.

keep us posted with your results.
2017-1-3
Use props
BuzzCut
lvl.4

United States

Bent Kangaroo Posted at 2016-12-28 17:02
Does anyone know if this cover obstructs vision when gimbal moves with turning UAV stick imputs? Sorry forgot name of function.

No, it doesn't obstruct... if you make it so that it doesn't.

After you test-cut you install it back on the Mavic, turn it on and after initialization you can turn the Mavic from side-to-side in your hand to simulate turning, which makes the camera turn.  If you can see the edges of the cover in the screen shot, then you just file away more.  Then rinse and repeat until you can't see it.  

I then took it outside for multiple flights as a final test, but it still wasn't visible on extreme yaw, indicating that the in-house test is a good enough replication of what would happen outside.
2017-1-3
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Philippines

BuzzCut Posted at 2017-1-3 09:35
No, it doesn't obstruct... if you make it so that it doesn't.

After you test-cut you install it back on the Mavic, turn it on and after initialization you can turn the Mavic from side-to-side in your hand to simulate turning, which makes the camera turn.  If you can see the edges of the cover in the screen shot, then you just file away more.  Then rinse and repeat until you can't see it.  

You can also swivel the camera left and right using the left stick while the Mavic is switched on but not in flight.
2017-1-3
Use props
BuzzCut
lvl.4

United States

Jason Lane Posted at 2017-1-3 09:45
You can also swivel the camera left and right using the left stick while the Mavic is switched on but not in flight.

Agreed.  I wanted to see if there was any additional gimbal rotation or tilt brought on by the momentum of the yaw and the breeze on top of what's programmed into the bird.  I only did this because I previously had some horizon tilt on yaw in the wind before.

Interestingly I saw no horizon tilt on yaw outside with the cover on when testing.  I'll need to test more to make it definitive, but maybe it's reducing the air pressure on the side of the gimbal, or stopping the gimbal mechanism from getting as cold.
2017-1-3
Use props
VFR Jim
lvl.1

United States

I made one a couple days ago but didn't cut quite enough out of upper left corner. It is a bit tedious due to the plastic so take your time!
2017-1-3
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Philippines

BuzzCut Posted at 2017-1-3 11:09
Agreed.  I wanted to see if there was any additional gimbal rotation or tilt brought on by the momentum of the yaw and the breeze on top of what's programmed into the bird.  I only did this because I previously had some horizon tilt on yaw in the wind before.

Interestingly I saw no horizon tilt on yaw outside with the cover on when testing.  I'll need to test more to make it definitive, but maybe it's reducing the air pressure on the side of the gimbal, or stopping the gimbal mechanism from getting as cold.

And did you find that there was any additional rotation, or does the stick movement cover the extremes?
2017-1-3
Use props
GrizzlyAdams
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-28 08:18
I agree, and I'm sure they've already thought of it. If they don't come out with one then they didn't want to and are leaving it to 3rd parties to profit from it.

I think DJI should let 3rd parties make accessories and focus on fixing performance issues. GoPro is going after 3rd party vendors and its making them look bad to their loyal customers, especially after the Karma got recalled.

DJI is 'killing it' with the Mavic Pro, but they still have work out all the 1st Gen issues for the Mavic Pro.

2017-1-3
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

GrizzlyAdams Posted at 2017-1-3 23:28
I think DJI should let 3rd parties make accessories and focus on fixing performance issues. GoPro is going after 3rd party vendors and its making them look bad to their loyal customers, especially after the Karma got recalled.

DJI is 'killing it' with the Mavic Pro, but they still have work out all the 1st Gen issues for the Mavic Pro.

What issues do you have?
My Mavic does not have a single issue.
Yes, there are a few out there that have a legitimate issue (most are user induced) but that's why there's a 1yr manufacture warranty.
2017-1-4
Use props
Angelo26
lvl.4
Flight distance : 799718 ft
Austria

dana5 Posted at 2016-12-28 08:09
The same guy also made this video... ANOTHER brilliant idea.

Lanyard Connecting Bracket

Just posted this ......... even better. Doesn´t block view on smartphone screen and more stable ........

cheap RC hands-free solution
2017-1-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules