Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic arrived with camera "dangling" by ribbon cable
2823 25 2016-12-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Chris Jude
lvl.2
Flight distance : 853 ft
United States

Unboxed my new Mavic on Christmas day.  Set it up.  Took it for first test flight.  Immediately noticed that the video feed showed the camera swaying with every movement of the drone.  Landed immediately and inspected.  I had not noticed but the camera was actually not attached to the forward facing servo on the gimbal.  It was dangling by a ribbon cable only.  It appears to press fit on.  Am trying to reach support now.  Has anyone else experienced this and if so is there a user fix possible or am I going to have to send it for repair?  I've been excited since ordering in October to get flying.
2016-12-27
Use props
Danny-B-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 306640 ft
United Kingdom

Post a closeup pic of the camera, but it sounds pretty terminal to me ... If you've opened a support case, you'll have to send it in for evaluation.
2016-12-27
Use props
FrequentFlyer
lvl.4
United States

Did you notice anything when you removed the gimbal clamp?
2016-12-27
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Can you please post a few photos, and were you able to start a ticket with support.
2016-12-27
Use props
Chris Jude
lvl.2
United States

Here is a close up pic:

2016-12-27
Use props
Chris Jude
lvl.2
United States

And another:

2016-12-27
Use props
Chris Jude
lvl.2
United States

After eventually reaching support, I was instructed to send pictures by email.  I was unable to find a way to attach pictures to the email(s) I could find.  A search found some references to using "support@dji.com" but I'm unclear if that is correct.  I did send the pics to that address.  If that is not correct, please let me know.

The camera lens piece does appear to slide easily onto the servo (as it is clear it should from pictures of the way the assembly is supposed to look), but there is no way for me to tell how to orient it precisely and/or how to fix it in place if I could be sure of how to align it.  And I'm not inclined to guess or try anything without first hearing from dji.
2016-12-27
Use props
Chris Jude
lvl.2
United States

FrequentFlyer Posted at 2016-12-28 06:09
Did you notice anything when you removed the gimbal clamp?

Not at that point.  I did notice that it seemed loose-ish but the ribbon cable was holding it fairly close to in place.  I own an OSMO too and until you switch it on and the servos activate, it does just sort of hang loose with gravity, and not having interacted with a Mavic in person yet, I didn't realize that the camera was detached and not just loose while powered off, that is until I was in the air and looking at my display.  It was clear then that the camera was just bouncing around with every movement so I landed and took a closer look and found the problem.
2016-12-27
Use props
Chris Jude
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-28 06:20
Can you please post a few photos, and were you able to start a ticket with support.

Photos posted here.  I also sent them to "support@dji.com" but not completely sure if that is the right address to send them to.  The support person I spoke with said to send photos by email but didn't specify where to do that.  I thought at first I could use the email in the support section I had contacted from, but there didn't appear to be a way to attach photos with that email app.

The support person said once the photos are received someone would get in touch with me.

I was unable to start a ticket until I used the chat feature or spoke directly.  The chat feature dropped me a couple of times so I called and waited until I reached a live person.  Upon speaking with a representative, I was told only to email pictures and wait.
2016-12-27
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Chris Jude Posted at 2016-12-27 17:19
Photos posted here.  I also sent them to "support@dji.com" but not completely sure if that is the right address to send them to.  The support person I spoke with said to send photos by email but didn't specify where to do that.  I thought at first I could use the email in the support section I had contacted from, but there didn't appear to be a way to attach photos with that email app.

The support person said once the photos are received someone would get in touch with me.

I see now, yes that's strange, I've never seen that happen before.
You can call support in the morning 818-235-0789 and you can add the photos to your ticket.
As long as the aircraft has not been crashed, it should be a warranty repair.
2016-12-27
Use props
damaltor
lvl.2

Canada

Well that is really a drag. If it were me, even if you did get it back together, I'd be wondering what kind of damage to the ribbon cable may have occurred and will cause issues down the road.
2016-12-27
Use props
czkidd
lvl.1
Flight distance : 991 ft
United States

Little strange it is.  Looks like the camera was yanked on trying to take off the gimbal bracket.  There was an earlier question, when you took the gimbal clamp off, did you not notice the camera dangling?  
2016-12-27
Use props
Chris Jude
lvl.2
United States

czkidd Posted at 2016-12-28 09:36
Little strange it is.  Looks like the camera was yanked on trying to take off the gimbal bracket.  There was an earlier question, when you took the gimbal clamp off, did you not notice the camera dangling?

The bracket came off effortlessly.  So much so, I now wonder if it was even on properly.

I did notice the camera seemed a bit loose while doing the compass calibration, but not so unlike other stabilizing systems I have used when not powered up that anything serious registered.  It didn't click with me that it wasn't right until I looked at the display during the first flight.  As soon as saw the camera flopping all over with any control input, I knew there was something wrong.  The cable had been holding it pretty close to in the right orientation when level and stable, but even a gentle move in any direction and the camera would just dance around like being attached by only a weak spring.

I've received an email back confirming receipt of the pics and starting a ticket saying I'll be contacted during business hours.  Sounds like I'm going to be doing some more waiting (I ordered back in early October).
2016-12-27
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Chris Jude Posted at 2016-12-27 20:53
The bracket came off effortlessly.  So much so, I now wonder if it was even on properly.

I did notice the camera seemed a bit loose while doing the compass calibration, but not so unlike other stabilizing systems I have used when not powered up that anything serious registered.  It didn't click with me that it wasn't right until I looked at the display during the first flight.  As soon as saw the camera flopping all over with any control input, I knew there was something wrong.  The cable had been holding it pretty close to in the right orientation when level and stable, but even a gentle move in any direction and the camera would just dance around like being attached by only a weak spring.

You did the compass calibration with the gimbal clamp of right? weird that you were not getting on screen gimbal errors or camera errors...
2016-12-27
Use props
Chris Jude
lvl.2
United States

Visual Air Posted at 2016-12-28 11:58
You did the compass calibration with the gimbal clamp of right? weird that you were not getting on screen gimbal errors or camera errors...

Yes, I did.

Didn't notice any errors on screen.
2016-12-28
Use props
Chris Jude
lvl.2
United States

Up front disclosure:  I need to vent...

Months back when I had ordered and paid for my Mavic and wasn't hearing anything past expected delivery date(s), I refrained from ranting about it here or elsewhere.  I was frustrated, but plenty of folks were already doing that.

When my Mavic was (eventually) received but arrived broken out of the box, I did seek some guidance here and contact dji support for assistance, but remained positive and professional in my inquiries and interactions.

When UPS confirmed that dji had received the returned defective Mavic but my support status didn't change, I remained patient and only politely asked for a status update after many days thereafter.

When I (eventually) received an automated response that the resolution of the issue was that I would receive a voucher to re-purchase another Mavic and get in line again, I bit my tongue and went through that process quite irritated that it might take as long as yet another week to ship out according to dji's site, feeling that it would have been reasonable to expect to not get put in the back of the waiting line for a replacement for the something I had purchased back in October that arrived extremely late and broken.  Still, I did not complain to anyone.  I even ordered another battery and several accessories.  I've been checking for my shipping status regularly every couple of days since.

This morning I received another impersonal automated email, this time informing me that my order "...will likely ship within the month of March, 2017...".

So here come the venting part.  I'm more than a little disappointed to understate it.  Closer to how I actually feel is that this is b.s.  I'm a fan of the products.  I own an OSMO.  I bought a Phantom for my company.  The Mavic flew great for the almost 10 minutes I tried it out with a broken camera before re-boxing and returning it.  I know that none of this is the fault of any of the individuals that I have interacted with, so I am careful to never vent frustration at any individual.  But the experience has been an unsatisfactory one and I wanted to tell that to someone.  The email is vague enough to leave me speculating that I won't have what I paid for back in early October in January... or February... and doesn't give me tremendous confidence that they won't walk back March too... they say "likely".  

Doesn't feel right to me.  Apologies to all for the vent, but I wanted to get it off my chest, and I did warn you up front.  {:4_157:}
2017-1-25
Use props
Chris Jude
lvl.2
United States

Eventually reached a second level supervisor that promised my replacement would be shipped out no later than last Friday.  Hasn't happened.  Today waited in line in both chats (online store chat and support chat).  Both said the exact same thing:  "you need to contact the other chat".  Just the latest.  One of the worst experiences trying to purchase something that I have ever had.   Can't seem to catch a break or even get someone to do what they say they will.
2017-1-30
Use props
Jdwyier
lvl.2

United States

I feel your pain. You deserve credit for that last post being the most calm rant ever!

Hope they get you squared away soon!

2017-1-30
Use props
yusefmian
lvl.1
Flight distance : 12146 ft
United States

Chris Jude Posted at 2017-1-30 17:32
Eventually reached a second level supervisor that promised my replacement would be shipped out no later than last Friday.  Hasn't happened.  Today waited in line in both chats (online store chat and support chat).  Both said the exact same thing:  "you need to contact the other chat".  Just the latest.  One of the worst experiences trying to purchase something that I have ever had.   Can't seem to catch a break or even get someone to do what they say they will.

Same with the chats happened to me.  I agree about the miserableness of purchasing the drone.  
2017-1-30
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

odd it even passed selfcheck. Starts to feel cheapo made... Rushed... I keep being surprised more and more things happen to this thing. Not talking about software problems, but so many with blurred parts on camera, broken parts after shipping, gimbalcover not fitted correctly, gimbalclamp not fixed in box, squishing cables in the arms, loose screw inside the mavic...
2017-1-31
Use props
r4nd0m
lvl.2
Flight distance : 839055 ft
United Kingdom

Chris Jude Posted at 2017-1-30 17:32

talk to your credit card issuer get a refund and buy it locally if you can - might still be an option ...
2017-1-31
Use props
Chris Jude
lvl.2
United States

Jdwyier Posted at 2017-1-30 19:40
I feel your pain. You deserve credit for that last post being the most calm rant ever!

Hope they get you squared away soon!

Thanks.  Not sure how much more I can take though.

Today I reached another supervisor in the same department, who said he is unable to reach the department that promised to ship the replacement other than email, so he can't find out why it didn't happen until they respond to him by email.  It just sounds like a crock.  Either the first supervisor put me on hold for nearly an hour to allegedly arrange and came back on and lied, or this one doesn't know how to do or check on what the other one did.

Bottom line, the supervisor today told me to be patient and if any information comes available I'll get an email.  Did say at one point that he's not aware of anywhere that has a unit to ship.  That wasn't very promising.
2017-1-31
Use props
Free Bird
lvl.3

Canada

Chris Jude Posted at 2017-1-25 07:02
Up front disclosure:  I need to vent...

Months back when I had ordered and paid for my Mavic and wasn't hearing anything past expected delivery date(s), I refrained from ranting about it here or elsewhere.  I was frustrated, but plenty of folks were already doing that.

Chris, I am in the same boat as you. However I gave up on trying to use the phone or chat lines. Hours of wasted time get you right back to where I started. Now I sit patiently for my email answer. In 2 hours it will 96 hours with no official response. But at least my ear is not stuck on the phone listening to the hour or more long count down to have the privilege to fix any problem you may have with your Mavic. The chat techs are even worse, you can be polite and patient and they will still knock you off the tech site or put you back in the queue. Maybe they think it's funny?
I could add detailed horror stories much like your own but I will wait patiently for my response to my polite email I sent to DJI.
2017-1-31
Use props
Chris Jude
lvl.2
United States

Free Bird Posted at 2017-1-31 12:29
Chris, I am in the same boat as you. However I gave up on trying to use the phone or chat lines. Hours of wasted time get you right back to where I started. Now I sit patiently for my email answer. In 2 hours it will 96 hours with no official response. But at least my ear is not stuck on the phone listening to the hour or more long count down to have the privilege to fix any problem you may have with your Mavic. The chat techs are even worse, you can be polite and patient and they will still knock you off the tech site or put you back in the queue. Maybe they think it's funny?
I could add detailed horror stories much like your own but I will wait patiently for my response to my polite email I sent to DJI.

It really is a frustrating convoluted mess to deal with, Free Bird.

Each time I got kicked out of a chat with 30 or 40 minutes invested and had to start over, the first thing I would inevitably see is the vexing header encouraging me to buy dji care (which I have already bought but would be 1/3 expired before receiving the Mavic if the clock was ticking) and the additional canned message that if I buy a Mavic by Jan 5th it will ship before  Jan 18th!  Probably time to update that part.

FWIW, I bounced all over today between both chats and calls for hours today but eventually reached an individual that identified himself as "Roy" who was able to verify the notes of the supervisor that promised last Wednesday to ship the replacement last Friday and to further verify that it got held up on the dock waiting on other accessories I had ordered separately presumably to combine the shipping costs.  He said that they have metrics to try to avoid the additional costs.  He put me on hold and when he came back said that he got (yet another) supervisor to override the hold and release the Mavic to ship independently (even though the notes already made clear it was an expedited shipment and to ship all items that were in stock and NOT wait on any backorder items because the original order was early Oct.).  

Roy said that my Mavic will ship solo a.s.a.p. and sounded somewhat credible.  He was able to at least verify some details that I hadn't even given him.

So once again... like you... I'm really just waiting... again... to see if I'm really getting anywhere.
2017-1-31
Use props
Chris Jude
lvl.2
United States

A replacement for my October 8th ordered Mavic that arrived defective...
...at long last...

...was delivered yesterday.

2017-2-12
Use props
rreindl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6491926 ft
United States

Chris Jude Posted at 2017-2-12 05:46
A replacement for my October 8th ordered Mavic that arrived defective...
...at long last...

I hope this one works great! I am not even attempting to order a Mavic just waiting until I can buy it locally and they have plenty of stock. I will just use my P3A to keep me occupied and of course waiting for the weather to break.

Happy flying!!!!
2017-2-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules