Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Andy LIS
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3358875 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HI folks,

Just a quick one.  On my new phantom 4 pro, three of the four prop adapters installed on top of the motors, are loose.  The screws appear to be installed okay, but there is maybe 0.3mm play in the white plastic adapter, like the screws are not done up tight.

Is this something to worry about, or normal?

Cheers
Andy
2016-12-27
Use props
WMF
lvl.2
Flight distance : 15358 ft
United States

Mine are tight,  no play at all.  My first Phantom, someone will chime in with more experence, but it doesn't seem correct.
2016-12-27
Use props
MrPinaColada
lvl.4
Flight distance : 790082 ft
United States

Mine are tight, have you noticed any issues flying with them loose? I imagine its just a simple tightening of the screws but mine definitely don't have any play in them and I cant imagine having them move around would be a good thing...
2016-12-27
Use props
AIRRAGE
New

United States

Just checked mine and they are all tight.
2016-12-27
Use props
Andy LIS
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I've had a check this morning, and the screws are tight.  I took one out to see what size it was, and they are little dinky shoulder screws, M2.5 by the looks of it.  The plastic prop adapters seem to be the issue, in that the counterbored holes in them are slightly deeper than where the head of the screw sits when tightened up.  That means no matter how tight the screw is done up, there will always be a slight clearance between the screw head and the plastic prop adapter, which will allow it to move slightly,.

The screws have blue threadlock applied already, so they shouldn't come loose.  It's a bit odd that they can move though.  I guess that is better than tightening up against the plastic, and risking it crack though.

Andy
2016-12-28
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Andy, would you please take a picture or make a small video showing that it's movable?
If they're not tight, I do suggest you send it in for evaluation.

2016-12-28
Use props
Snowwolfwarrior
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1064780 ft
United Kingdom

Mine are tight, I have read others have had the same problem, they should be tight, either tighten them up or send it back, dont fly while they are like this
2016-12-28
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Andy LIS Posted at 2016-12-28 10:25
I've had a check this morning, and the screws are tight.  I took one out to see what size it was, and they are little dinky shoulder screws, M2.5 by the looks of it.  The plastic prop adapters seem to be the issue, in that the counterbored holes in them are slightly deeper than where the head of the screw sits when tightened up.  That means no matter how tight the screw is done up, there will always be a slight clearance between the screw head and the plastic prop adapter, which will allow it to move slightly,.

The screws have blue threadlock applied already, so they shouldn't come loose.  It's a bit odd that they can move though.  I guess that is better than tightening up against the plastic, and risking it crack though.

If bought locally I would suggest you take it back to the retailer and get a replacement, but check in shop and make sure all OK. If not get a refund and try somewhere else.
2016-12-28
Use props
Andy LIS
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Natalia Posted at 2016-12-28 10:59
Andy, would you please take a picture or make a small video showing that it's movable?
If they're not tight, I do suggest you send it in for evaluation.

Here's a quick video.  The rear left motor is worst of the four.  The front left is tight, and the other two are slightly loose.  All the screws are tight (I've checked).

Hope it doesn't have to go back, my Mavic has only just been sent off to have its camera and gimbal looked at...
2016-12-28
Use props
Dutch799
lvl.4
Flight distance : 73871 ft
Brazil

I had the same problem with one of my P4 prop adapters. Bought a new set of prop adapters and solved the problem.
2016-12-28
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Get a tool and tighten them up until there snug. Very easy to do.
2016-12-28
Use props
Grizz 1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120066 ft
United States

mine are loose too. you cant tighten the screws anymore, the screws are super tight already, the little white adapter on top is slightly loose, all 4 of mine, just like in post 9 video. it flys great with no problems.
what do we do DJI ? if you have replacement plastic parts, I will change them myself to keep from sending it in for repair.
2016-12-28
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Grizz 1 Posted at 2016-12-28 17:06
mine are loose too. you cant tighten the screws anymore, the screws are super tight already, the little white adapter on top is slightly loose, all 4 of mine, just like in post 9 video. it flys great with no problems.
what do we do DJI ? if you have replacement plastic parts, I will change them myself to keep from sending it in for repair.

http://store.dji.com/product/pha ... ng-plate-cw-and-ccw
2016-12-28
Use props
Grizz 1
lvl.4
United States

that will fix it aardvark, I have one of those kits too, but I decided to cut a washer the same thickness as the spring clips in the kit, and punched out the holes and that tightened it up. I used brother label tape to make the washer/ spacer.
edited:
2016-12-28
Use props
Andy LIS
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The screws cannot be tightened more, they are shoulder screws, and the shoulders are tight up against the motor housing.  The white plastic spacer holes are slightly shorter than the shoulder length on the screws, hence the play.  I don't really want to send the P4P back in, if the problem is the white plastic bits, that just need replacing.  Likewise, I don't particularly see why I should have to spend more money on something that is brand new (except for 3 flights).

2016-12-28
Use props
Roadstar1700
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1203484 ft
United States

Andy LIS Posted at 2016-12-28 08:39
Here's a quick video.  The rear left motor is worst of the four.  The front left is tight, and the other two are slightly loose.  All the screws are tight (I've checked).

https://youtu.be/YC8QOa_IOLM

My P4 prop adapters are loose to the point where I can rotate them slightly back and forth, but they have no upward movement like I see on your video. The screws are shoulder bolts and are made so the adapters have no pressure put on them from the bolts when they are tightened down. I don't recommend putting any shims between the adapter and the motor housing as you may place pressure on the adapter and crack it.

You either have screws where the shoulder area is to long or adapters that are undersized. Check the screws to verify they are tight. If so, the adapters are not going to come off. I wouldn't send it in, but instead get another set of adapters w/screws and try them. Somewhere in the manufacturing there needs to be an adjustment to get these parts to be a closer fit.
2016-12-28
Use props
joe_gadget
lvl.4

Australia

I've not seen those adapters before with actual springs - have these replaced the metal strips? (as mine was bought fairly recently)
2016-12-28
Use props
Andy LIS
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yep, I've got two P4 Pros and both have the springs instead of the leaf spring plates.  One of them the prop adapters are nice and snug, and the other they are tight, with no play.

Manufacturing tolerances on the slide perhaps?  I'm going to shim the loose ones to reduce the play.  Seems silly to send the whole thing back over that.

Andy
2016-12-29
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi All, thanks for your feedback, I've transferred your feedback to our engineers, will get back to you once I get more information.
2016-12-29
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It's interesting to see the spring being used instead of the leaf springs. I never saw any announcement on that happening.
Presumably the screws are different length, or the plastic a different thickness. And if old and new parts got mixed up then it would be possible for the plastic to be loose.
2016-12-29
Use props
Grizz 1
lvl.4
United States

The thickness of the leaf spring of the p4 is 0.013 in. or 0.33 mm     the thickness of the brother label tape is 0.14 mm or  0.005 in.
this was enough to make mine tight enough and hopefully not crack the plastic. cant use the spring metal tab without drilling 2 more holes, so I used the label tape
edit: see my post 14
2016-12-29
Use props
Andy LIS
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Natalia Posted at 2016-12-29 04:17
Hi All, thanks for your feedback, I've transferred your feedback to our engineers, will get back to you once I get more information.

Thanks.  I'll look forward to hear what they think.

In the meantime, I've just used two layers of diamond tape, cut to the right shape and size, to go between the plastic adpaters, and the motor can.  All play has been removed.  (one layer was not enough).

Andy
2016-12-30
Use props
Grizz 1
lvl.4
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2016-12-29 04:17

Hi Natalia, I hope they can come up with a solution soon, its kind of scary flying around with loose prop mounts !  thanks !
2017-1-6
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Grizz 1 Posted at 2017-1-6 06:01
Hi Natalia, I hope they can come up with a solution soon, its kind of scary flying around with loose prop mounts !  thanks !

Thanks for your patience.
I've got the feedback now, the case you reported has no negative influence on aircraft's performance, please do not worry about it.
While we're aware of that, will improve the product quality control, thanks again for your feedback again.
2017-1-12
Use props
2stroked
lvl.1
Flight distance : 19026 ft
Canada

That would make me nervous, any play in parts like this would have a tendency to get looser over time from wear I would think
2017-1-14
Use props
2stroked
lvl.1
Flight distance : 19026 ft
Canada

That would make me nervous, any play in parts like this would have a tendency to get looser over time from wear I would think
2017-1-14
Use props
Grizz 1
lvl.4
United States

I really think dji needs to take a closer look at this,  as it is a critical flight component !
2017-1-14
Use props
dorbot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 844770 ft
France

It looks like the plastic part is meant to be used with the spring plate which would act as a shim. Perhaps the plastic parts for the conventional spring version are slightly thicker to compensate but they got mixed up in the factory. I doubt you could tell the difference just by looking.
2017-11-13
Use props
jackodogandroid
lvl.4
Flight distance : 60371 ft
United States

i put these on my ph4 1 year ago, no problems
http://www.dronevalley.com/store ... %28Set_of_4%29.html
2017-11-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now