Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Using 4k footage on ipad
16490 31 2016-12-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
canadianairborn
lvl.4

Canada

I have an ipad mini 4 and I'd like to view/edit/share the 4k footage from mavic on imovie.
Does anyone know if this is possible? Do I have to convert the footage on my cpu first? If so, what format and size it the best possible output?
2016-12-27
Use props
shardwick

United Kingdom

Sadly no, I'd like to do the same.  There are two options: using a USB card reader to take in the footage from the SD card - this should be the best quality but at 4k the footage isn't compatible with IOS.  The second is: You can bring it in using the app but it won't deal with 4k and does a hideous downconvert.  So far I've only got it working using Final Cut Pro X on macbook.  If anyone else has any suggestions on IOS only workflows I'd love to hear them
2016-12-28
Use props
Mullheliflier
Captain
Flight distance : 12305135 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I use an app OPlayer HD. It seems to play 4K videos fine.  Not sure if it downscales or what it does, but it plays them.
2016-12-28
Use props
canadianairborn
lvl.4

Canada

shardwick Posted at 2016-12-28 09:48
Sadly no, I'd like to do the same.  There are two options: using a USB card reader to take in the footage from the SD card - this should be the best quality but at 4k the footage isn't compatible with IOS.  The second is: You can bring it in using the app but it won't deal with 4k and does a hideous downconvert.  So far I've only got it working using Final Cut Pro X on macbook.  If anyone else has any suggestions on IOS only workflows I'd love to hear them

I read somewhere that it can be done by converting the file on your CPU with software and setting the output to 2k. I'm still waiting to test it but it makes sense in theory.
http://pc-mac-compatibility-issues.blogspot.ca/2016/04/play-edit-dji-p4-4k-with-ipad.html
2016-12-28
Use props
shardwick

United Kingdom

canadianairborn Posted at 2016-12-28 19:38
I read somewhere that it can be done by converting the file on your CPU with software and setting the output to 2k. I'm still waiting to test it but it makes sense in theory.
http://pc-mac-compatibility-issues.blogspot.ca/2016/04/play-edit-dji-p4-4k-with-ipad.html

Yeh it can be done but the ultimate goal is to avoid having to carry a laptop around. My mavic sits nicely in a backpack with my ipad mini and to be able to travel light and edit on the road would be wonderful.  I don't mind waiting for the DJI app to convert the files to an IOS compatible format if it did a half decent job of it but it won't natively pass 4k and the downscaling to 1080p is really nasty.  I'm hoping the 4k should be just a case of rewrapping the file off the SD card rather than converting to a new format which is CPU intensive but I haven't had the time to look closely at the codecs involved yet so it may be more complex.
2016-12-28
Use props
canadianairborn
lvl.4

Canada

shardwick Posted at 2016-12-29 07:41
Yeh it can be done but the ultimate goal is to avoid having to carry a laptop around. My mavic sits nicely in a backpack with my ipad mini and to be able to travel light and edit on the road would be wonderful.  I don't mind waiting for the DJI app to convert the files to an IOS compatible format if it did a half decent job of it but it won't natively pass 4k and the downscaling to 1080p is really nasty.  I'm hoping the 4k should be just a case of rewrapping the file off the SD card rather than converting to a new format which is CPU intensive but I haven't had the time to look closely at the codecs involved yet so it may be more complex.

Right. Portability is an issue for sure. I may stick to 1080p/30 while on vacation for that reason alone.
I imported some 1080 gopro footage with an sd card reader and it looks great. I just figured I'd see if anyone knoew another way to get 4k onto the ipad. Thanks for the reply.
2016-12-28
Use props
Memmi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 324108 ft
  • >>>
United States

The iPad and any modern iOS device can import, edit and export a full 4K workflow. In fact I find editing on my 13" iPad Pro faster and smoother than my MacBook Pro. I highly recommend a pro iPad (either 12.9 or 9.7") that sports USB 3.0 for faster input via the sd card reader. This 4K footage from bvi and inspire 1 never touched a computer and was fully processed on iPad.

2016-12-29
Use props
canadianairborn
lvl.4

Canada

Memmi Posted at 2016-12-29 19:58
The iPad and any modern iOS device can import, edit and export a full 4K workflow. In fact I find editing on my 13" iPad Pro faster and smoother than my MacBook Pro. I highly recommend a pro iPad (either 12.9 or 9.7") that sports USB 3.0 for faster input via the sd card reader. This 4K footage from bvi and inspire 1 never touched a computer and was fully processed on iPad.
https://youtu.be/UEV2eifp1Do

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat! I can't wait to try now. do you use imovie to edit?
2016-12-29
Use props
canadianairborn
lvl.4

Canada

https://youtu.be/UEV2eifp1Do

I also read recently that its the high bitrate of the 4k footage that ipad can't decode. Does the newest ios address that?
2016-12-30
Use props
canadianairborn
lvl.4

Canada

After doing some testing with my iPad mini 4, the 4k will import via the sd card reader but won't play or be recognized by iMovie. 2.7k works well however. If you know any ticks to get 4k to play I'd be interested in knowing.
Thanks.
2017-1-2
Use props
Icewave
lvl.1
Flight distance : 445804 ft
Italy

canadianairborn Posted at 2017-1-2 08:53
After doing some testing with my iPad mini 4, the 4k will import via the sd card reader but won't play or be recognized by iMovie. 2.7k works well however. If you know any ticks to get 4k to play I'd be interested in knowing.
Thanks.

Hi Canadian airborne,
Hi have and iPad mini 2 and iPad Pro 9.7 and also I experimented the same thing , on iPad mini you can import from SD but you can't play while on iPad Pro you can import and edit  with iMovie .
I think the problem is in the processor , iPad mini 2 has a A7 while iPad Pro has A10 , so maybe is  an hardware limitation.

Hope it helps.

Happy new year !

Ciao
2017-1-2
Use props
Icewave
lvl.1
Flight distance : 445804 ft
Italy

canadianairborn Posted at 2017-1-2 08:53
Thanks.

Sorry I don't pay  attention ... Yuo have iPad mini 4 ... A8 processor ..so i think is not a processor issue ... maybe something related to screen resolution? Or something related with the capability of iPad Pro  to record video  in 4K ?
2017-1-2
Use props
canadianairborn
lvl.4

Canada

Icewave Posted at 2017-1-2 10:31
Sorry I don't pay  attention ... Yuo have iPad mini 4 ... A8 processor ..so i think is not a processor issue ... maybe something related to screen resolution? Or something related with the capability of iPad Pro  to record video  in 4K ?

I'm not too sure to be honest. It says unsupported format when I try to play it.
I think I'll stick with 2.7 until I can get some answers. I'd rather not lug around a laptop on vacation.
2017-1-2
Use props
Wildersachse 4
lvl.1
Germany

It ispossible on iPad Pro, you can import and edit, if you want good videos, then use pinnacle studio, not imovie!
But on iPad Mini it is not possible to view and edit your 4K footage because of its hardware limitation!

Check my YouTube Channel, if you want to see Mavic 4K Footage edited only on iPad Pro 9.7".

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi5IWTbBmMQOgkkE0QZWJKg

http://youtu.be/Mj4DiESI7iY

http://youtu.be/0b03SMJeI0U

http://youtu.be/GRkq9yTdBT4

http://youtu.be/PDolrdcH7OQ
2017-1-2
Use props
shardwick

United Kingdom

Sorry, trying to understand how you're all working here. Are you saying that even though the native photos app won't play the mavic files imported in via USB, it WILL import into imovie/pinnacle pro/LumaFusion apps? I'm sure I tried it in Luma FX (the colour correction app made by the same people) and it didn't work?  I was under the impression these apps would only support files supported by the device itself?  

If you've got Mavic 4k files into an ipad or iphone without using a PC or other external conversion please let us know the step by step process. I'll try and have another play at the weekend.  Also I'd like to avoid iMovie because it only has one default framerate (30fps) and in the UK we need 25/50fps for pro which LumaFusion supports.  LumaFusion also has built in colour correction options which gives a complete mobile workflow using IOS devices!
2017-1-4
Use props
canadianairborn
lvl.4

Canada

shardwick Posted at 2017-1-4 14:25
Sorry, trying to understand how you're all working here. Are you saying that even though the native photos app won't play the mavic files imported in via USB, it WILL import into imovie/pinnacle pro/LumaFusion apps? I'm sure I tried it in Luma FX (the colour correction app made by the same people) and it didn't work?  I was under the impression these apps would only support files supported by the device itself?  

If you've got Mavic 4k files into an ipad or iphone without using a PC or other external conversion please let us know the step by step process. I'll try and have another play at the weekend.  Also I'd like to avoid iMovie because it only has one default framerate (30fps) and in the UK we need 25/50fps for pro which LumaFusion supports.  LumaFusion also has built in colour correction options which gives a complete mobile workflow using IOS devices!

iPad Pro A10 processor = yes 4k is compatible
iPad mini 4 A8 processor = Maximum 2.7k compatible
iPad mini 1-2-3 with A7 processor = not sure what works
2017-1-4
Use props
shardwick

United Kingdom

canadianairborn Posted at 2017-1-4 14:33
iPad Pro A10 processor = yes 4k is compatible
iPad mini 4 A8 processor = Maximum 2.7k compatible
iPad mini 1-2-3 with A7 processor = not sure what works

Ok I understand now.  Thank you. I'll have to have a play at the weekend with 2.7k!
2017-1-4
Use props
Mavrick
lvl.1
Jamaica

shardwick Posted at 2017-1-4 14:43
Ok I understand now.  Thank you. I'll have to have a play at the weekend with 2.7k!

If your I device has an A8 processor or better it can do 4K.
http://www.cultofmac.com/304077/ ... -4k-video-playback/
2017-1-4
Use props
canadianairborn
lvl.4

Canada

Mavrick Posted at 2017-1-4 14:58
If your I device has an A8 processor or better it can do 4K.
http://www.cultofmac.com/304077/ipad-air-2-iphone-6-secretly-support-4k-video-playback/

Unfortunately this is easier said then done with the mavic footage. I tried to import 4k footage via the sd card reader and it does import but won't play the file. It says unsupported format for some reason. Not sure why.
2.7k works beautifully and looks just as good on the little ipad mini4. Until someone figures it out, i'll be happy with 2.7k.
2017-1-5
Use props
Memmi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 324108 ft
  • >>>
United States

Is this possibly a .mp4 vs .mov file issue? Are you shooting in the former? Try the latter.
2017-2-2
Use props
A1000
lvl.4
Flight distance : 149760 ft
United Kingdom

Memmi Posted at 2017-2-2 10:20
Is this possibly a .mp4 vs .mov file issue? Are you shooting in the former? Try the latter.

Exactly the thought I had and a question I had - which one do most people shoot in?  I was moving towards mp4 but I also plan to use an iPad Pro so now thinking .mov?
2017-2-2
Use props
canadianairborn
lvl.4

Canada

I shoot in .mov and 4k doesn't play on the ipad mini. 2.7k will.
2017-2-21
Use props
fansfbd82212
Banned

Japan

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2017-3-2
Use props
Maxwhiteuv
lvl.4

United States

The difference  between playing 4K on iPad and playing  2K, HD on iPad will be tiny. If you are using a wide screen TV, that will be different.  Just try to use a video converter http://www.pavtube.cn/top-20-video-converter-for-mac.html to compress 4K to 2K or 1080p.
2017-3-15
Use props
Big Pang
Flight distance : 241798 ft
Hong Kong

I use iPad Mini 2 to import 4K and 2.7K video files. Then use LumaFusion to edit and convert to 1080 videos for iPad to play or upload to YouTube and Facebook has no problem. The conversion speed in iPad Mini 2 is acceptable.
2017-3-15
Use props
jamesw
lvl.4
Flight distance : 169364 ft
United States

shardwick Posted at 2017-1-4 14:25

I'd love to see a step by step process to get my Mavic 4k Footage into my Iphone 6s (A9 processor) edit it, grade it, and export it at 1080p or 4k.
2017-5-23
Use props
sasiki
lvl.1

United States

Though 4K editing and sharing with iMovie for Mac has been supported on Mac computers from 2011 or later with at least 4GB of memory.Generally the common personal computer doesn’t have the ability to process the DJI Mavic Pro 4K video editing work, even if you can import DJI Mavic Pro 4K footage into iMovie on Mac. The quality of DJI Mavic Pro 4K videos is ultra high definition, so it requires very powerful computer hardware for smoothly editing. In short, for the purpose of better and smoother editing, you could try to compress DJI Mavic Pro 4K to 1080p for iMovie for Mac with HD Video Converter. What's more, DJI Mavic Pro 4k video can't be imported into iMovie for the frame rate issue.
Format:  The H.264 codec is not good for video editing. Even with high computer Configuration with a hard disk array, you will encounter performance issues if your source 4K video is in H.264 codec. Apple Intermediate Codec is the most compatible format for iMovie. Maybe the following guide can help you remove the issue.
2017-5-24
Use props
christing
lvl.3

Japan

If you stick with handling 4K footage on iPad Mini, the first step is to downscale 4K to 1080p on your Mac. Then you can play, edit, share the video on your iPad Mini easily.

BTW, the downscaled 4K footage is much better than original 1080P shootings when processing with iMovie or any other NLEs.
2017-6-12
Use props
Young66
New

United States

I followed christing's post and tried Video Converter. It is much professional and useful.
2017-6-13
Use props
flyforfun
lvl.1

Ukraine

Hello. You can try to use 'Sync for DJI' app. This app allows download even 4K video on iPhone even in the background without losing any data and quality. I found this app for iOS https://itunes.apple.com/ua/app/sync-for-dji/id1255799480?mt=8 .

After a flight, I open this app, it automatically connects to my drone. I select images and video and tap on download or share button. The app works with Wi-Fi and connected RC. Also, I use it for my OSMO + too.
2018-8-2
Use props
kosmelnikov
lvl.1
Flight distance : 634098 ft
  • >>>

Shoot in 4K, download files to your phone with 'Sync for DJI' app, and then export files to iMovie or somewhere else.  The app supports all file types and works even in the background.
2019-9-27
Use props
kosmelnikov
lvl.1
Flight distance : 634098 ft
  • >>>

Shoot in 4K, download files to your phone with 'Sync for DJI' app, and then export files to iMovie or somewhere else.  The app supports all file types and works even in the background.
2019-9-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules