Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Google Maps / Here Maps vote
12345Next >
17174 185 2016-12-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Danny-B-
Second Officer
Flight distance : 306640 ft
United Kingdom

I appreciate there may be licencing reasons behind the choice to move from Google Maps to Here maps instead, but i'd like to start this poll to give a clear indicaion to DJI about the communities feeling about having Here maps in place of the prefered(IMO) Google Maps from older app versions.

Please vote on which map choice you prefer(ed)

DJI - Can you clear up why there was a move?

Cheers,
Single SelectVote, Total 950 people participate in voting
Your user group with no voting privileges
2016-12-27
Use props
devGOD
lvl.4
Flight distance : 200577 ft
United States

I know Google maps is popular but I doubt most people noticed a difference.
2016-12-27
Use props
fansf0572733
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2098566 ft
United States

devGOD Posted at 2016-12-27 16:57
I know Google maps is popular but I doubt most people noticed a difference.

Seriously?

One major difference between the two is  HERE maps do not work for most people. Many are having issues with maps not displaying correctly
2016-12-27
Use props
Logger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2883714 ft
Australia

Here Maps at my location are at least 4 years old. Numerous houses and buildings missing. Google Maps are up to date.
2016-12-27
Use props
Jenee 2
Captain
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

Here Maps is way out of date in my area.
2016-12-27
Use props
mavicme
Flight distance : 35738 ft
  • >>>
United States

Google maps are way more useful.   Only reason i can think for DJI to use HERE is to save money on API costs with GOOG
2016-12-27
Use props
Danny-B-
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Pretty unanimous at the moment!

Keep voting
2016-12-28
Use props
Palladous
lvl.4
Flight distance : 102185 ft
United States

Not only are they out of date but the poor resolution makes them absolutely useless for my P3S. I rolled back the Go App to 2.9.1 which still uses Google but my phone keeps updating it to 3.X so it only works for a short while.
2016-12-28
Use props
LukasBlecha
lvl.3
Flight distance : 577543 ft
Czechia

Here maps are 5 years old in my area in Czech republic. Terrible.
2016-12-28
Use props
BarrettF77
lvl.3
Flight distance : 565459 ft
United States

Thanks for cheapening your product one step further.  Striving to save a buck wherever possible.  
2016-12-28
Use props
MavicUser
lvl.4
Flight distance : 431417 ft
Canada

Here maps for me is simply a green/brown coloured mass... It has no definition at all, like the map was just simply a very low resolution jpeg that was enlarged until you can see each pixel...
Phone: Samsung Galaxy S7
App:  DJI Go 4.0.1 updated on 22 Dec 2016
2016-12-28
Use props
MarcusPolus
lvl.1
United States

Great topic
2016-12-28
Use props
Socalrob
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5892 ft
  • >>>
United States

Google for sure, I doubt you'll get any votes for here.
2016-12-28
Use props
Mir
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2718491 ft
  • >>>
United States

In my area it's just colored blobs. Really need google maps back.
2016-12-28
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mir Posted at 2016-12-28 11:10
In my area it's just colored blobs. Really need google maps back.

It's been requested, lets see what happens. If it stays this way then I'm sorry.
2016-12-28
Use props
mavicme
Flight distance : 35738 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm afraid it comes down to $$$.  Saving a few $$ at the cost of user experience.   I thought DJI was all about user experience.  Ugh.
2016-12-28
Use props
nils.heidorn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 183537 ft
Germany

Thats like a "want free beer" poll ;-)
2016-12-28
Use props
Riotcontrol
lvl.4
United States

Definitely need Google maps back!
2016-12-28
Use props
joerazzzz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 86952 ft
United States

Bring back google....PLEASE!
2016-12-28
Use props
Heavysledz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 819491 ft
United States

X10 Bring back Google maps! Here maps in my region are useless.....
2016-12-28
Use props
Peter Galbavy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 545377 ft
United Kingdom

I looked at this after this debacle started and it appears that, from how I read it, google maps are actually "free" if the app developer uses the official Android or iOS APIs - https://developers.google.com/maps/pricing-and-plans/#details - so unless DJI devs are using the *web* interface to delivery maps into the app (they cost, see the link) - then this shouldn't be a cost issue. I assume the latter however.
2016-12-28
Use props
CactusJackSlade
lvl.3
United States

HERE maps do not display properly or even  cache for me.... this was a poor decision to change...
As Litchi catches up on the features I will be using that app more and more....
2016-12-28
Use props
4wd
First Officer
Flight distance : 545817 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Better resolution has returned to Android Here map this morning.
It is still inferior to Google though.
2016-12-29
Use props
Aqui
lvl.1
Flight distance : 56542 ft
Taiwan

My guess would be that the issue is not about $$$ but rather because Google Maps are blocked in China and I don't think DJI really has much of a choice. If I understand correctly, HERE maps are used only on Android version of the DJI GO App. I'm on iOS so it seems that the app is using Apple Maps which work in China and only keep getting better and better. While on Android I'd see all developers trying to make an app for both international and Chinese markets to be hitting a wall when dealing with maps - Google Maps work everywhere else but in China, and then there are a number of local Chinese maps that work only in China or are localized only for China so unusable to non-chinese speakers. So I'd see DJI sticking with HERE unless there is an alternative other than Google Maps, otherwise they would be locking themselves out of their domestic market. Unless they could make the app to serve Google Maps only outside of China and serve something else while in China. Or maybe Apple releases their API to non-iOS apps one day...
2016-12-29
Use props
gkordowski
First Officer
Flight distance : 798360 ft
  • >>>
Jersey

Aqui Posted at 2016-12-29 02:19
My guess would be that the issue is not about $$$ but rather because Google Maps are blocked in China and I don't think DJI really has much of a choice. If I understand correctly, HERE maps are used only on Android version of the DJI GO App. I'm on iOS so it seems that the app is using Apple Maps which work in China and only keep getting better and better. While on Android I'd see all developers trying to make an app for both international and Chinese markets to be hitting a wall when dealing with maps - Google Maps work everywhere else but in China, and then there are a number of local Chinese maps that work only in China or are localized only for China so unusable to non-chinese speakers. So I'd see DJI sticking with HERE unless there is an alternative other than Google Maps, otherwise they would be locking themselves out of their domestic market. Unless they could make the app to serve Google Maps only outside of China and serve something else while in China. Or maybe Apple releases their API to non-iOS apps one day...

If it is not about the money - but because China Mainland availability - maybe they should add a switch to select between GM and Here? 2nd option - they may just "show" correct "map provider" based on your GPS location (same as they are limiting signal strength in Europe)?
2016-12-29
Use props
chippie
lvl.3
Flight distance : 12976 ft
United Kingdom

Even if it was down to cost then the cost would be negligible. Based on the amount of calls/requests a day it would probably cost DJI ~$50 which is hardly breaking the bank. When did China ban Google Maps, was it recently? As the change to Here only happened in Go 3.1.0 so how were they using the app before then? I think it may be more to do with Here paying (or some sort of agreement) DJI to use their maps.
2016-12-29
Use props
Danny-B-
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Aqui Posted at 2016-12-29 02:19

Nice explanation. I wasnt aware that Google maps were banned in China ... bloody censorship !

What they need then is a toggle to switch between google/here maps surely, especially if the API service is free.

2016-12-29
Use props
nhoover
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3458045 ft
  • >>>
United States

There is no question as to which is better, of course it's Google. At my company we also use Google maps in our product. Yes it is expensive but we care about the customer experience so we pay Google. Come on, switch back or at least explain why you can't. Please!
2016-12-29
Use props
fans59c51589
lvl.1
Flight distance : 386535 ft
United States

Google maps please
2016-12-29
Use props
Bikkel
Second Officer
Flight distance : 481175 ft
Netherlands

The maps now are ff up,so bring google back or fixs Here maps
2016-12-29
Use props
phantom_of_the_
lvl.3
Flight distance : 90459 ft
United Kingdom

nhoover Posted at 2016-12-29 06:25
There is no question as to which is better, of course it's Google. At my company we also use Google maps in our product. Yes it is expensive but we care about the customer experience so we pay Google. Come on, switch back or at least explain why you can't. Please!

You pay? Another poster in this thread has suggested that Google maps are free if the correct methods are used?
2016-12-29
Use props
chippie
lvl.3
United Kingdom

gkordowski Posted at 2016-12-29 03:13
If it is not about the money - but because China Mainland availability - maybe they should add a switch to select between GM and Here? 2nd option - they may just "show" correct "map provider" based on your GPS location (same as they are limiting signal strength in Europe)?

I'm not really buying the China argument. I do not believe anything has changed in the last 2 years or so, if this was the reason how were people using the app before HERE appeared in v.3.1.0?
2016-12-29
Use props
Hterag
Second Officer
Flight distance : 961978 ft
China

chippie Posted at 2016-12-29 11:35
I'm not really buying the China argument. I do not believe anything has changed in the last 2 years or so, if this was the reason how were people using the app before HERE appeared in v.3.1.0?

I think you're right. For users in China, there was always the option for, "Amap" (and there still is) because Here maps isn't available in China. Here maps blocks China whereas China blocks Google maps...

Just to confirm, I tested (wego.here.com) and got this:

ERROR

The request could not be satisfied.

The Amazon CloudFront distribution is configured to block access from your country.
Generated by cloudfront (CloudFront)

It also doesn't seem to work from the DJI Go 4.0 app, all I get is a greyish background until I switch back to, "Amap" (this is for the Android version, can't comment on the iOS version).
2016-12-29
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
First Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

We're doing this again?  It's been established by humankind that HERE maps was made for toddlers.
2016-12-29
Use props
J3ff
New

United States

I don't seem to be able to vote. +1 for google maps.
2016-12-29
Use props
chippie
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2016-12-29 12:01
We're doing this again?  It's been established by humankind that HERE maps was made for toddlers.

I think that comment is offensive to toddlers!
2016-12-29
Use props
fans71666530
lvl.1
Flight distance : 462290 ft
United States

Keep Google maps
2016-12-29
Use props
Anthony566
First Officer
Flight distance : 2488944 ft
United Kingdom

Here maps = Crap !!!!!
2016-12-29
Use props
Romboter
lvl.1

United States

J3ff Posted at 2016-12-29 12:46
I don't seem to be able to vote. +1 for google maps.

Same, +1 google maps
2016-12-29
Use props
Laroba
lvl.1
Flight distance : 99583 ft
France

Same for me: please give us back Google Maps!In France, Here is just impossible to use. On DJIGo, it's just impossible to use the map!
2016-12-30
Use props
12345Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules