High Winds (Beware)
5894 34 2016-12-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
A.L.E.X
lvl.1
Flight distance : 361132 ft
Canada

About 2 weeks ago, I received my Phantom 3 Advanced back from DJI after repairs. I flew several flights, and was blown away by the abilities of the drone. On December 26, 2016 (yesterday), I decided to take the drone to its max allowed limit of 500M. The arcraft warmed up and then displayed ''Ready to Fly - GPS.'' On take off, all systems in the arcraft status menu were listed as ''Normal.'' The controller had over 75% battery and the intelligent flight battery had been charged a few minutes before. The weather conditions were well within DJI's acceptable limits as per the manual's instructions. I had been flying in this location several times before with no problems. As I flew straight up from the home point (right in front of me), the arcraft held its position to within a meter of takeoff point. After reaching 200 meters, the arcraft suddenly began drifting with the wind. After noticing this drift, I tried to fly back to my location, but the right stick (in control of forward/back right/left) was not controlling the arcraft whatsoever. The left stick and camera were still operating normally though. Realizing the drone was not obeying a critical command, I held the RTH button. The RTH feature pointed the arcraft in my direction, but could no more fly forward then I could manually. The phantom kept drifting away with the wind despite trying ATTI mode and restarting the app and controller.

Finally, at 6.088 km away, I lost transmission of video and flight data. I ran to the house and in a few minutes was driving towards the last known location with my dad and brother. With permission from the land owner, we searched the area, but found nothing. Based on current speed and battery life, I estimated a crash site (edge of Lake Ontario!!) and we drove there and did another search, with no luck. I don't expect to ever see the drone again.

I am slightely upset that such an expensive drone as the P3A can randomly lose position control in mid flight. This is unfortunate, but not critical. However, I am VERY upset that it failed to complete a fundamental command required for flight, and that not even its own intrinsic failsafe functioned, despite being well within range. I am going to contact DJI and explain the situation. I hope they will replace the drone, since the fault was not mine.

I uploaded videos of the flight information and FPV recording (hope they work - my first time doing this).               

Let me know what you think might have caused this disaster. Can we expect our phantoms to eventually diapear over the horizon?
[Solved]

2016-12-28
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

All we have to go on is your version of what you think happened.
There can be important details you missed or were not aware of.
Without actual flight data people can only guess.
But the P3 has a flight data recorder in the app and it's proved very good at solving the mysteries of many lost Phantoms.

Go to http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Follow the instructions to upload your flight record.
Come back and post a link to the report it provides and someone here might be able to analyse it and give you an understanding of the cause of the incident.

I'll add before I see the data ... wind can be an important factor at height.
What was the wind like that day?
What strength and direction and do you have any idea what it was at 500 metres?
2016-12-28
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

The important statement was that it was drifting away with the wind, and it seems it was not able to RTH for that reason. The very first thing you should have done was lose altitude immediately, get down out of the winds, then think about bringing the aircraft home. This is a classic case of operator error, you did not take the right action when the wind was too strong for the aircraft. As such, DJI are not likely to replace your aircraft.

'since the fault was not mine'

Yes it was. I am sorry you lost your aircraft, but you will have to wear this one.

2016-12-28
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

I'm going to stick my neck out here without seeing the data.
You know what the problem was already.
You sent the Phantom on a one-way mission in winds stronger than it could fight against.
And for some reason, you never thought to bring it down which would have fixed the problem.
You should have understood the effect of wind and even if you didn't you had ample oportunity to bring it down.
Case closed - 100% operator error

And while you're at it, change the title of your post.
Your Phantom didn't fly away - you flew it away.
And something failed  but it wasn't any kind of system failure.
2016-12-28
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just as its turning to RTH it has a ground speed of 70 km/h, that's 43.5 mph. Now in RTH mode it has a maximum air speed of about 22.5 mph. So at that point it's still drifting away at about 21 mph. It had no chance of getting back.

My thought is pilot error. Hopefully it didn't land on anybody or cause any damage.
2016-12-28
Use props
Ty-Rone
lvl.3
Flight distance : 85285 ft
  • >>>
United States

This was not a fly away.  

Sorry for the painful lesson.  
2016-12-28
Use props
AlaskanTides
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1032293 ft
United States

Unfortunately I am going to side with the other guys here.......... you had ample opportunity to get that craft out of the sky.
(Even if it were a system failure) You still had control of the altitude... you had a responsibility to attempt to put it down in a field or forest away from people and property. A good pilot will never just let an aircraft drift away out of control unless there is no control what so ever.

I bet that aircraft was struggling like crazy to get back to you in that wind.. but when you're way beyond LOS like that,  you can not tell the aircraft is at full throttle.... And since the gimbal is designed specifically to dampen those effects, the video would not show this. The loss of that situational awareness... (That is exactly why you're supposed to stay LOS)

I am also going to guess that was also was way higher then the laws in Canada will allow you to fly.  I certainly hope it didn't hurt anyone are their property...There were a lot of bad decisions made there.
2016-12-28
Use props
AlaskanTides
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1032293 ft
United States

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilavi ... safely-legally.html

With the penalties they post in Canada I wouldnt even post that video here.... Just saying

More and more people are flying drones and UAVs. Transport Canada regulates their use to keep the public and other airspace users safe. Before you take to the skies, make sure you understand the rules and follow them. Not doing so could put lives at risk and cost you up to $25,000 in fines and/or jail time.
2016-12-28
Use props
endotherm
First Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

I concur that this was a 100% case of being blown away by strong wind.  At 6km away you would have lost radio signal, but there is nothing to suggest that the aircraft magically drops out of the sky once you lose telemetry.  The aircraft would have continued to be blown in that direction until the battery became critically low, and automatically landed in place.

If it weren't already in RTH due to pressing the button, it would have tried a RTH after losing contact, but at 200m altitude it would simply have maintained that altitude and tried to return to the home point (I doubt your RTH height was set above 200m!).

If you were able to determine the wind direction, and estimate the remaining battery life until a critical warning, you should be able to estimate an area where the aircraft would have landed, it could be kilometers away from where you think it came down.  The wind is likely to be quite variable, both in strength and direction, so your "spashdown" area could be quite large.
2016-12-28
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

I'm sorry to hear of your loss. Based on the information provided, it seems as though the wind was a significant factor in the incident. The North American Support team can have the flight records more thoroughly evaluated to see if that is in fact the case, and will let you know what they can do.
2016-12-28
Use props
Rigworker
Second Officer
Flight distance : 52303 ft
Canada

Not a system failure my any stretch of the imagination. Perhaps it was Karma. I know everyone wants to try it but you flew over 5 times higher than whats legal and, unless you have the eyes of an eagle, you couldnt see it at over 6 kilometers away. It is people like you that screws it up for the rest of us that fly legal and follow the rules and get the proper permits when required. The new rules may keep you grounded

I am sorry for your loss though.
2016-12-28
Use props
A.L.E.X
lvl.1
Canada

Thanks for the link Labroides. Its giving me an upload timed out message, but I will keep trying. In regards to wind, I posted this in the comments of the youtube video (BTW wind was 30km/h at ground level, within limits set in manual):  

This thought crossed my mind, this is why I ruled wind out: 1 At no point in the fpv video did I see the usual props in the frame - this would be expected, especially when flying into the wind. 2 My speed increased and decreased throughout the flight, just like you would expect wind to do. 3 When I hit RTH, even in the approx. 50km/h wind at this height, my speed should have at least reached nearly zero. 4 I had flown on a day with the same wind speed just before to 400M, and was able to fly into the wind at a reasonable speed. 5 The Phantom was holding inside 1M (incredible, right), this would not be expected if it was about to be blown away. At around 200M high, a steady and increasing drift began, more in line with the Phantom not trying to hold position. 6 There are videos that show the Phantom in extremely strong wind, and it whips about wildly to keep its position. Mine was a gradual drift that increased as the phantom built momentum. I'm sorry for the spiel, but I am convinced of what happened.

I will add that the drift began at 200M high and a couple meters in front of me. And yes, In hind sight, I wish I had brought it down right away, but after I passed over the first bush, I wanted to keep LOS and a clear signal as mush as possible. Despite RTH and stick movements, change in speed only varied as much as the wind usually does. My Phantom can fly around 50km/h, so why wasn't there a 50km/h change in speed?  

Anyways, I know I need the flight records to prove the case, so I'll keep on that. How do I get the records too the North American support team?
2016-12-29
Use props
endotherm
First Officer

Australia

A.L.E.X Posted at 2016-12-29 08:43
Thanks for the link Labroides. Its giving me an upload timed out message, but I will keep trying. In regards to wind, I posted this in the comments of the youtube video (BTW wind was 30km/h at ground level, within limits set in manual):  

This thought crossed my mind, this is why I ruled wind out: 1 At no point in the fpv video did I see the usual props in the frame - this would be expected, especially when flying into the wind. 2 My speed increased and decreased throughout the flight, just like you would expect wind to do. 3 When I hit RTH, even in the approx. 50km/h wind at this height, my speed should have at least reached nearly zero. 4 I had flown on a day with the same wind speed just before to 400M, and was able to fly into the wind at a reasonable speed. 5 The Phantom was holding inside 1M (incredible, right), this would not be expected if it was about to be blown away. At around 200M high, a steady and increasing drift began, more in line with the Phantom not trying to hold position. 6 There are videos that show the Phantom in extremely strong wind, and it whips about wildly to keep its position. Mine was a gradual drift that increased as the phantom built momentum. I'm sorry for the spiel, but I am convinced of what happened.

In the DJI GO app, you can sync the record for this flight with DJI by going into the logs (paper plane icon in top left corner of the main page) and then selecting the cloud icon on the top right.

While you're at it, can you upload the flight to Healthy Drones by following the instructions here: http://healthydrones.com/main?a=upload (as well as Phantom help if you can).  When you share the result, make sure to select share csv and kml options.  Post the result back here and we can review the telemetry for the flight and tell you what happened.  There is some additional information Healthy Drones has that Phantom Help doesn't return, which would be very helpful in your case.
2016-12-29
Use props
A.L.E.X
lvl.1
Canada

These are the flight records from phantom help:

From take off till controller and app restart

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/5FAY18IK0Q4O0X3ALNR2/#

After restart

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/TEA3Q7IOOQ4TOX3FAMR7/#
2016-12-29
Use props
A.L.E.X
lvl.1
Canada

This is from healthy drones:

http://healthydrones.com/main?fl ... amp;page_id=GENERAL
http://healthydrones.com/main?fl ... amp;page_id=GENERAL

2016-12-29
Use props
endotherm
First Officer

Australia

A.L.E.X Posted at 2016-12-29 09:48
This is from healthy drones:

http://healthydrones.com/main?flight=a5f7af6304d550ffbb49d344801050f4&page_id=GENERAL

Thanks, looking now.  Do you remember what value you had for critical battery percentage in the Go app?
2016-12-29
Use props
CCrew
lvl.3
Flight distance : 41568 ft
United States

I was pretty uncaring when I saw the "I decided to take the drone to its max allowed limit of 500M" part. Kinda glad it's gone personally since you have no regard for regulations.
2016-12-29
Use props
A.L.E.X
lvl.1
Canada

endotherm Posted at 2016-12-29 09:55
Thanks, looking now.  Do you remember what value you had for critical battery percentage in the Go app?

Critical battery was 10%. I had previously taken a screen shot of this. BTW RTH was set at 35M.
2016-12-29
Use props
A.L.E.X
lvl.1
Canada

CCrew Posted at 2016-12-29 09:57
I was pretty uncaring when I saw the "I decided to take the drone to its max allowed limit of 500M" part. Kinda glad it's gone personally since you have no regard for regulations.

Don't know if you have ever lost a drone, but its a real blow. Please don't wish misfortune (or at least say you do) on someone. I have never seen a plane fly anywhere near as low as 500M above this location, so I knew the flight was safe. I do love flying drones though, so eventually, I will break down and buy another one.  
2016-12-29
Use props
endotherm
First Officer

Australia

Looking at all the flight logs gives very good data describing exactly what we are seeing in the video in your first post.  There is nothing really out of place or remarkable about it.   Although you see the wind at 30km/h (~8m/s) at ground level, it increases as you climb.  It is invisible, so there is no way of knowing just by looking, which is why we are relying on telemetry.  FYI, the Phantom 3 top speed is around 15m/s (55km/h) and when in RTH, it is only around 10m/s (35km/h).  What is really striking to me is the second video you posted.  It shows you ascended at about 15km/h, then you noted yourself it was being picked up by the wind at around 200m, at about 20km/h horizontally.  Again at 300m it was 30km/h, 400m was 40km/h, 500m was 50km/h (fluctuating).

Once you got to 500m, you turned the aircraft to face you, only to watch the aircraft moving away from you.  Strangely there is only a single timid movement of the right stick forward (towards home) at 50-75% for a second or two (lets say 10 seconds in real time, as the video is sped up 8x).  Nothing aft, or left or right, yet you conclude the stick has somehow failed.  The onscreen joystick movements are validated with the figures in the flight data.  Hardly any movement.

You then hit RTH in a panic, and wisely left it to do its thing after again rotating into its direction of travel.  You observed this wasn't helping.  You decided to reboot your controller (hey, why not?).  After it resumes, we watch it drifting away in excess of 50km/h.  You then describe an "auto-RTH"(?) kicking in which again rotates the aircraft, correctly showing no manual stick input, but it again faces you.  Nothing recorded in the log messages to show auto-RTH.  At this point the aircraft is hitting in excess of 20m/s (75km/h).  Again a couple of timid movements in both sticks, then a nice aggressive 100% forward movement for 24 seconds, followed by another for 48 seconds, then back to idle.  Those moves may have just started to decelerate the aircraft from 50km/h (we observe the speed drop to the high 40's momentarily), but were nowhere near long enough to make a dent on its speed.  Then another 16 second burst, a decrease in altitude to 430m where the speed has now dropped to ~40km/h.  Somehow you think 430m @2.25km is too low and you might lose signal if you go lower?  I really doubt that.  Then there is another minute of 100% forward, which manages to hold the aircraft at 42km/h.  Once you let go the speed picks up again to 55km/h (13km/h was the effect of your acceleration against the wind, which you just abandoned).  Later, another 40 second burst of speed then you just let the sticks go and watched it drift towards the lake for a minute and a half.

You had 4 minutes 15 seconds until a critical battery forced it to land.  Based on an airspeed of around 50km/h on a heading of 025° I estimate it got carried 3.54km before it started descending.   Descent is limited to 3m/s (10km/h) to prevent vortex ring state and a crash from turbulent air while descending.  From 433m it would take around 144 seconds to land.  Let's allow for reducing windspeed at lower altitudes, so half of the trip at 40km/h, and the rest at 30km/h down to the ground where you already measured it at 30km/h.  72 seconds for each (1/50 of an hour) = 0.8km + 0.6km, or 1.4km during the descent.  If we look at where we lost telemetry and extrapolate from there, our best guess is that it landed 4.94km further along, give or take due to fluctuating winds and other assumptions.  If you are lucky it might be recovered one day washed up on the shore.  

extrapolated landing

extrapolated landing

Unfortunately all the evidence points to the crash being attributed to strong winds at altitude and an inability of the aircraft to overcome the opposing forces and
fly in those conditions. Other factors include piloting errors such as not descending, unfamiliarity with conditions at altitude, and just allowing it to be taken with the wind without changing course or applying continuous forward thrust.  Hopefully you can learn from this, and especially reconsider flying at such altitudes in future.

In response to your earlier points:
1 At no  point in the fpv video did I see the usual props in the frame - this  would be expected, especially when flying into the wind.
At all times when flying into the wind, the aircraft was tilted at ~22° towards the home point (arms closest to home were lowered).  This was an automatic attempt to hover and hold position.  Coincidentally, the camera is reported tilted down at -21.4° for much of the flight, except when facing down or traversing.  This is good framing which shows the ground and avoids large chunks of sky.   Consequently the camera view was low enough when facing towards home point to miss the movement of the arms and spinning props, and more so when facing away as the arms were even higher.

2 My speed  increased and decreased throughout the flight, just like you would  expect wind to do.
This is a characteristic of the wind.  The speed fluctuations were not noticeably a result of any power you were applying, only after sustained periods of countering the wind did we see any lowering of the speed that was consistent with, or may have been attributable to aircraft power.

3 When I hit RTH, even in the approx. 50km/h wind at  this height, my speed should have at least reached nearly zero.
Inertia plays a big part here.  It would take some time with sustained power to even approach zero.  With fluctuating winds it is impossible to tell.  In RTH mode your top speed is only 35km/h.

4 I had  flown on a day with the same wind speed just before to 400M, and was  able to fly into the wind at a reasonable speed.
Wind is unpredictable, what it was doing minutes before is no indication of what it will do in the future.  Unless you are up there with an anemometer you are just guessing.

5 The Phantom was  holding inside 1M (incredible, right), this would not be expected if it  was about to be blown away. At around 200M high, a steady and increasing  drift began, more in line with the Phantom not trying to hold position.  
At ground level you measured 30km/h winds.  The aircraft is capable of 55km/h when flown manually.  It is capable of overcoming those forces and remain stable.

6 There are videos that show the Phantom in extremely strong wind, and  it whips about wildly to keep its position. Mine was a gradual drift  that increased as the phantom built momentum.
They could have been buffeting winds changing intensity and direction wildly,  This seemed more steady in direction and reasonably constant, with gusts up to 75km/h as measured by the aircraft flight data recorder and displayed on your video.  At those altitudes there is little reference to anything that would indicate the aircraft whipping about.  I was able to see that the aircraft was moving with some speed by watching the roads quickly disappearing in the picture beneath.

2016-12-29
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

endotherm Posted at 2016-12-29 12:10
Looking at all the flight logs gives very good data describing exactly what we are seeing in the video in your first post.  There is nothing really out of place or remarkable about it.   Although you see the wind at 30km/h (~8m/s) at ground level, it increases as you climb.  It is invisible, so there is no way of knowing just by looking, which is why we are relying on telemetry.  FYI, the Phantom 3 top speed is around 15m/s (55km/h) and when in RTH, it is only around 10m/s (35km/h).  What is really striking to me is the second video you posted.  It shows you ascended at about 15km/h, then you noted yourself it was being picked up by the wind at around 200m, at about 20km/h horizontally.  Again at 300m it was 30km/h, 400m was 40km/h, 500m was 50km/h (fluctuating).

Once you got to 500m, you turned the aircraft to face you, only to watch the aircraft moving away from you.  Strangely there is only a single timid movement of the right stick forward (towards home) at 50-75% for a second or two (lets say 10 seconds in real time, as the video is sped up 8x).  Nothing aft, or left or right, yet you conclude the stick has somehow failed.  The onscreen joystick movements are validated with the figures in the flight data.  Hardly any movement.

Perfect and very detailed analysis
2016-12-29
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

A.L.E.X Posted at 2016-12-29 08:43

Endotherm's very detailed analysis explains exactly what the issues were.
He's taken a lot of time and put in a lot of effort to produce his report.

The takeaway lessons from this incident are:
1.  Wind aloft is often considerably stronger than at ground level
2.  Never fly away in the direction of a strong wind because you will have a hard flight home into a headwind
3.  RTH is a slower driver than you are
4.  If caught in a strong wind situation, reduce altitude and don't leave RTH to come home slowly

Now that you can see that your Phantom didn't fly away and that no system failed, how about changing the thread title to something a bit more accurate?
2016-12-29
Use props
Grabo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 26296 ft
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 2016-12-29 14:54
Endotherm's very detailed analysis explains exactly what the issues were.
He's taken a lot of time and put in a lot of effort to produce his report.

I am sorry for your loss ALEX but for us new to drones these so called fly always makes us weiry of flying and if it was not for these guys Endotherm Labroides and many others spending time looking at logs and explaining what went wrong none of us would dare fly so I say a big THANK YOU to you guys we all learn something from this  
2016-12-29
Use props
A.L.E.X
lvl.1
Canada

Wow endotherm, you obviously know your stuff. I guess I have to eat humble pie. I felt sure the right stick was dead after the flight. Very detailed crash site projection (mine was right before the beach, based on rate of power consumption and drift speed). I don't know why I was so light on the sticks in hindsight, but I left the Phantom high because I wanted to keep signal as long as possible - wrong impulse I guess.

Thank you for being respectful in your replies. I believe in being reasonable, so this means a lot to me. I will change the title appropriately.      
2016-12-29
Use props
Kirk2579
Second Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

A.L.E.X Posted at 2016-12-29 19:31
Wow endotherm, you obviously know your stuff. I guess I have to eat humble pie. I felt sure the right stick was dead after the flight. Very detailed crash site projection (mine was right before the beach, based on rate of power consumption and drift speed). I don't know why I was so light on the sticks in hindsight, but I left the Phantom high because I wanted to keep signal as long as possible - wrong impulse I guess.

Thank you for being respectful in your replies. I believe in being reasonable, so this means a lot to me. I will change the title appropriately.

nice acknowledgment and response!

since the logs and readers have become available it is amazing the detail that can be determined

feel bad for the loss of your phantom for sure.

good luck and have fun flying!--your next phantom!
2016-12-29
Use props
endotherm
First Officer

Australia

Kirk2579 Posted at 2016-12-29 20:25
nice acknowledgment and response!

since the logs and readers have become available it is amazing the detail that can be determined

Thanks, all.  Yes, without the log readers,  much of the after-incident analysis would be guesswork and supposition.  Each can return their own piece of the puzzle e.g. Healthy drones returns the camera tilt angle whereas Phantom Help doesn't.  This is helpful in explaining why the props weren't in shot for example.  There is still further data recorded from sensors that many log readers don't return, e.g. motor rotation speed and load.  These can be useful and indicate how badly the aircraft was fluctuating in the wind and fighting turbulence etc.  This data is available to DJI in their analysis (if they care to use it when making their determinations).  It is relied upon to create the warning of a loose or missing prop that we have seen in recent firmware.  Then there are quaternions -- imaginary numbers that are used in measuring the motor performance.  I don't profess to even understand that level of advanced math and how it works, but it's comforting to know that there is such a high level of sophistication in these flight systems.
2016-12-29
Use props
endotherm
First Officer

Australia

A.L.E.X Posted at 2016-12-29 19:31

No one on the forums is out to embarrass anybody, we want to learn from others mistakes (we ALL make them).  A lot of the times emotions are high and the pilot can't see that they made a mistake and gets overly defensive, just as AlecW indicated.  It is a big person that can put their hand up and admit in public to making a mistake.

Sorry for your loss and I hope you learned something.
2016-12-29
Use props
endotherm
First Officer

Australia

A.L.E.X Posted at 2016-12-29 10:45
Critical battery was 10%. I had previously taken a screen shot of this. BTW RTH was set at 35M.

Just to add, RTH altitude is only significant if you are below that altitude when commencing the RTH.  If you are above that height (as you definitely were in this case) it just continues with phase 2 of the RTH -- fly towards home point.  It won't descend to RTH altitude first.
2016-12-29
Use props
Rigworker
Second Officer
Flight distance : 52303 ft
Canada

A.L.E.X Posted at 2016-12-29 11:03
Don't know if you have ever lost a drone, but its a real blow. Please don't wish misfortune (or at least say you do) on someone. I have never seen a plane fly anywhere near as low as 500M above this location, so I knew the flight was safe. I do love flying drones though, so eventually, I will break down and buy another one.

The regulations could care less at what altitude you see a plane flying. The altitude and LOS rules are Transport Canada regulations. Hopefully if you do get another drone you will try reading and following the regulations. People like you are why the government is raising the bar for drone regulations. Thank you does not come to mind
2016-12-29
Use props
Pelomixa
lvl.2
Flight distance : 166014 ft
United States

The lesson here is simple. Do not buy the utterly useless and expesive DJI Care Refresh crap warranty. Instead, contact your local State Farm or Geoco agent and insure your drone for 80 bucks. This insurance will cover you for anything from a crash to a loss like what happened to you and you wont even have to pay a deductinle!
2018-1-6
Use props
Dockater
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139649 ft
Germany

CCrew Posted at 2016-12-29 09:57

What a callous remark.
2018-1-6
Use props
Air/America
Second Officer

United States

Today is a day typical of the day of the lost phantom flight. Wind is 10 to 20 at 10 meters altitude. Wind is 30 to 40 at 500 meters altitude.

Ventusky - weather
2018-1-6
Use props
PeteHB
lvl.4

France

My immediate reaction was that it was being carried away and a forced reduction in altitude was required to get it out of the wind. As a sailor and paraglider I am all to aware of the changes in wind strength with changes in altitude.
Sorry for your loss though.
2018-1-6
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

endotherm Posted at 2016-12-29 12:10
Looking at all the flight logs gives very good data describing exactly what we are seeing in the video in your first post.  There is nothing really out of place or remarkable about it.   Although you see the wind at 30km/h (~8m/s) at ground level, it increases as you climb.  It is invisible, so there is no way of knowing just by looking, which is why we are relying on telemetry.  FYI, the Phantom 3 top speed is around 15m/s (55km/h) and when in RTH, it is only around 10m/s (35km/h).  What is really striking to me is the second video you posted.  It shows you ascended at about 15km/h, then you noted yourself it was being picked up by the wind at around 200m, at about 20km/h horizontally.  Again at 300m it was 30km/h, 400m was 40km/h, 500m was 50km/h (fluctuating).

Once you got to 500m, you turned the aircraft to face you, only to watch the aircraft moving away from you.  Strangely there is only a single timid movement of the right stick forward (towards home) at 50-75% for a second or two (lets say 10 seconds in real time, as the video is sped up 8x).  Nothing aft, or left or right, yet you conclude the stick has somehow failed.  The onscreen joystick movements are validated with the figures in the flight data.  Hardly any movement.

Sure am glad we have folks like you around! You are a very valuable member of the community!
2018-1-6
Use props
Phantom One
First Officer
Flight distance : 135299 ft
United States

Dockater Posted at 2018-1-6 02:38
What a callous remark.

I totally agree.

Now endotherm, he's Da Man!  Great reading and very helpful  
2018-1-6
Use props