Jerky when doing a full circle pan even at slow turn rate
3312 10 2016-12-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Gunpilot399
lvl.1

Australia

Hi Guys

Can anyone assist me in getting a smooth pan when doing a slow full pan circle. Have set the expo for yaw so that it is much more gentle, and set the gimbal parameter so that the gimbal starts to yaw in the direction of the pan but even then the end video is not super smooth. If DJI could allow us to smooth out the yaw as we can with the pitch of the gimbal that would probably do the trick. Any other suggestions would be welcomed.
2016-12-28
Use props
MavicUser
lvl.3
Flight distance : 431417 ft
Canada

Did you turn down the Yaw end point under "Sensitivity"?  That will help with smoothing out the Yaw...
2016-12-28
Use props
Birdog
lvl.2
Flight distance : 664521 ft
United States

Easiest way to see whats happening is to test.

With the legs folded away and the gimbal cover and holder off, power on the controller and phone, then power on the mavic. Dont try to take off, just pick up the mavic and move it with your hand, and watch the gimbal work (its quite nice to see).

You`ll see when with your hand you pitch up and down the gimbal working to correct, and if you yaw left and right how the gimbal is trying to smooth out the turn and how the gimbal will run out of space and reset (which generates the jerk)
2016-12-28
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I can do this with nice smooth pans, are you flying in windy conditions?
2016-12-28
Use props
Gunpilot399
lvl.1

Australia

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-28 12:34
I can do this with nice smooth pans, are you flying in windy conditions?

Hi Ken

If you go to 2min 30sec mark in this video sample you will see what I'm talking about - don't worry about quality of video, just quickly threw the mavic up to get sunset and did not worry about camera settings.

2016-12-29
Use props
MavicUser
lvl.3
Flight distance : 431417 ft
Canada

Gunpilot399 Posted at 2016-12-29 04:05
Hi Ken

If you go to 2min 30sec mark in this video sample you will see what I'm talking about - don't worry about quality of video, just quickly threw the mavic up to get sunset and did not worry about camera settings.

From the video, it looks like you're panning way too fast... There is no way the video can be smooth at these kinds of yaw/pan speeds...

The rule for a smooth yaw/pan is 8 seconds from one side of the frame to the other... e.g. It needs to take up to 8 seconds for an object at one side of the frame to reach to the other side of the frame...
2016-12-29
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Gunpilot399 Posted at 2016-12-29 04:05
Hi Ken

Your original post said you were having an issue getting a smooth pan while going slow.
That is not a slow pan. That is a pretty fast pan and if you want to have smooth pans, you must yaw much slower than that.
2016-12-29
Use props
fanse66a3bf6
lvl.3
Spain

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-29 07:40
Your original post said you were having an issue getting a smooth pan while going slow.
That is not a slow pan. That is a pretty fast pan and if you want to have smooth pans, you must yaw much slower than that.

I thought the same.
It would be ver nice to have the yaw control on the phone like the pitch control.
Very easy and smooth  control over yaw.
Practice is good, but with this it would be much easier.
If I make a long turn I need tu be more then 1 min. Quiet with the yaw stick.
Not easy.
And move a little bit,
And the shoot  is gon.
So it would be easier to ad the yaw turn on the screen,
Like pitch,
And it wold be easier to make a long turn without Shake.
2016-12-29
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

fanse66a3bf6 Posted at 2016-12-29 11:09
I thought the same.
It would be ver nice to have the yaw control on the phone like the pitch control.
Very easy and smooth  control over yaw.

You can use Tripod Mode when you want to do a slow pan and that will slow up the sticks.
2016-12-29
Use props
fanse66a3bf6
lvl.3
Spain

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-29 12:45
You can use Tripod Mode when you want to do a slow pan and that will slow up the sticks.

Yes, I can.
But when I,m doing a turn over 1 km of radius  at ful speed
1t teaks over 1 min to make the turn,
In tripod mode it wil teak 10 min to make the turn.
Cinematic mode is good,
But with the yaw control like the pitch on the tablet it wil be mor easier.
It's only an idea for make the flying experience better.

2016-12-29
Use props
Gunpilot399
lvl.1

Australia

MavicUser Posted at 2016-12-29 06:30
From the video, it looks like you're panning way too fast... There is no way the video can be smooth at these kinds of yaw/pan speeds...

The rule for a smooth yaw/pan is 8 seconds from one side of the frame to the other... e.g. It needs to take up to 8 seconds for an object at one side of the frame to reach to the other side of the frame...

Thanks for that - will give it a try in a day or so. Interesting though that when doing pans on my Yuneec Q500+ (I know, wash my mouth out with soap ) it is a very smooth pan shot even when done at the same rate as the one I mentioned in this video.
2016-12-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules