It was a matter of time
1321 9 2016-12-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
13MStang
lvl.3
Flight distance : 892749 ft
United States

Well, after 60+ successful flights over countless hours, I must sadly annouce that I have crashed the Mavic.

it was my fault.    I've grown accustomed to taking off and landing in my back yard.   It had become habbit.  I had stopped using RTH and auto take off/landing because "i didnt need it anymore".  I guess I got careless and on my last flight while attempting to land, I misjudged the distance to the tree and had the Mavic come down and it hit one of the branches and toppled down 20 or 30 feet to the grass below.   Maybe I thought that if I were too close, the obstacle avoidence would kick in since I was not in sport mode.   I guess I was wrong.  Maybe the branch was not large enough to be detected.

Broke all 4 props and the gimble.  No other (visual) damage.   Body and legs look fine.

So, I had to open a repair request with DJI and now will be without the drone for however long it takes to get it repaired.    So sad.   No DJI care refresh

Sitting here in disbelief.

2016-12-28
Use props
Birdog
lvl.2
Flight distance : 664521 ft
United States

Im just over 50 flight and confidence is growing, it wont be long till I have a proper smash aswell I imagine
2016-12-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Sorry to hear that, thanks for reporting always helps , repair service with dji is usually excellent, hope your back flying soon...
2016-12-28
Use props
Bax
lvl.4
Flight distance : 749413 ft
Australia

Good attitude, sorry to hear.
I hope you get it fixed soon.
2016-12-28
Use props
Gagaryn
lvl.2
Flight distance : 6447 ft
United Kingdom

I've not ordered yet but as I'm certain I'll do something similar when I get mine I'm very tempted to purchase the care refresh.
2016-12-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Gagaryn Posted at 2016-12-28 19:53
I've not ordered yet but as I'm certain I'll do something similar when I get mine I'm very tempted to purchase the care refresh.

Get refresh great comfort when starting out.
2016-12-28
Use props
13MStang
lvl.3
Flight distance : 892749 ft
United States

Just heard back from DJI repair. They have performed their inspection and will cost me USD $146 to fix.  Hope to get Mavic back in my hands in a week.  If only I were able to get shipment back to me expedited.   
2017-1-9
Use props
stratosHD
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1231280 ft
Australia

Mate I am so sorry to hear.  On my second week of flying I started to feel so confident that became careless. I have been lucky so far but I had 3 or 4 really close calls. My advice to everyone is that everytime you take off take the same care as you did on your first flights. And if you just got your Mavic, get the care refresh, yes is a bit of more money but it protects somehow your investment.
2017-1-9
Use props
ePetLicensing.c
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

13MStang Posted at 2017-1-9 19:24
Just heard back from DJI repair. They have performed their inspection and will cost me USD $146 to fix.  Hope to get Mavic back in my hands in a week.  If only I were able to get shipment back to me expedited.

Good luck... My 2 cents... Never Ever put your guard down... Ever...Even the best driver, best pilot best in anything can flop big time if they are NOT always careful...
2017-1-9
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

13MStang Posted at 2017-1-9 19:24

Wow, $146 to repair is not unreasonable at all -- would've been $99 if you had purchased the extended warranty, so, as long as you don't crash it again, you're ahead of the game. ;)
2017-1-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules