Denoising in JPG and Video, Good or bad ?
996 2 2016-12-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nils.heidorn
lvl.3
Flight distance : 183537 ft
Germany

Hi !
It came to my Attention that JPG images lost a lot of Details in dark tones as DJI decided to blur the ISO noise very much. They succeed in getting JPG images with virtually no noise but at the price of muddy Details.
Today i realized that they do the same in videos, but if you have good light its less obvious. Today i filmed with VERY bad light.
See an Attachment JPG versus DNG, both without further processing. It should speak for itself, DNG is somewhat noisy and JPG is quite "muddy".
(Its an extreme sample due to bad lighting but its valid in each and every JPG vs DNG. Settings: -2, 0, -1)
Whats your take on this ?

Nils

P.S. no personal opinion here, its a POLL !

Single SelectVote, Total 3 people participate in voting

Voting has ended

0.00% (0)
33.33% (1)
66.67% (2)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2.JPG
2016-12-28
Use props
nils.heidorn
lvl.3
Flight distance : 183537 ft
Germany

Okay, this poll is a FAIL, strange that no one using the Mavic is interested in JPG / Video Quality :-P

Nils
2016-12-29
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Most cameras suffer quality loss in lower light conditions and only the most expensive are able to provide decent detail and noise levels in high ISO shooting.

As far as the differences between JPG and raw/DNG, a given camera maker decides what settings a jpg file should have and if the camera owners aren't satisfied with the manufacturer's choices, or wants more flexibility, then they have the option of working with the raw file format, where we get to make the decisions for color, exposure, sharpening and noise reduction ourselves for each image.

A one-size-fits-all approach to denoising just doesn't work, as some images can benefit from a lot of noise reduction while others too quickly lose detail at the same settings.

That said, a JPG option for setting compression levels might be useful -- I wouldn't be surprised if your JPG example wouldn't have looked better at a lower compression level.
2016-12-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules