Ideas on retreiving P3S from tree
707 7 2016-12-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RicknCovington
lvl.2
Flight distance : 186322 ft
United States

Lost signal while flying barely 600' away and RTH altitude was too low, and drone flew into a tree on the way back.  Now, its stuck @ 100' up in a tree.  Can't shake it out cuz trunk is too big.  I am not climbing the tree cuz I'm too old and break too easy. Have a tree climber friend that is going to try on Friday, but other than that any other creative ideas on retreiving it?  I thought maybe another drone with a treble hook, dangling 30' below on 5lb test line, but don't know anyone with a drone, and not sure a Phantom has enough lift to lift another Phantom.  Ideas?
A sissor lift is out, and it would cost more than the Phantom to rent a cherry-picker tall enough to reach.

drone stuck 100ft up.

drone stuck 100ft up.
2016-12-28
Use props
Ty-Rone
lvl.3
Flight distance : 85285 ft
  • >>>
United States

*duplicate post.  Ugh.  
2016-12-28
Use props
Ty-Rone
lvl.3
Flight distance : 85285 ft
  • >>>
United States

That really blows, Rick.   I think you could get it loose if with another drone but if it's hung up in there it might upend the second bird.
I'm in the Raleigh NC area and I've got an old P2v and a FW 450 I'd be willing to toss into the mix to see if it would work.  They're just gathering dust now anyway.  
2016-12-28
Use props
RicknCovington
lvl.2
United States

Ty-Rone Posted at 2016-12-28 17:30
That really blows, Rick.   I think you could get it loose if with another drone but if it's hung up in there it might upend the second bird.
I'm in the Raleigh NC area and I've got an old P2v and a FW 450 I'd be willing to toss into the mix to see if it would work.  They're just gathering dust now anyway.

Thanks for the offer Ty, but I'm out in Covington, Washington, so shipping cost would make it not worth it...right now anyway.  Give me a week or two and if my tree climbing friend can't retrieve it, or the wind doesn't eventually blow it out, I may reconsider your offer.  Thanks again.
2016-12-28
Use props
WilliamM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

The fire dept. ?? If they don't charge you a fee or fine. They do it for cats.
Also happy you didn't blame it on DJI or faulty equipment like so many newbies do on these forums. Good luck.

2016-12-28
Use props
RicknCovington
lvl.2
United States

My tree climbing buddy came to the rescue and got it down.  Other than a broke propeller tip, it seems to work fine.  I took it home and let it dry out for a day before I even put a battery in it and turned it on again.  Other than still questioning the range, (only made it out to @800ft today before started to loose signal again), it operates pretty nicely.
2017-1-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

I would have called Molly Hatchet! Hahaha

Glad you got it back down, to the ground. Enjoy it now.

And be more careful!! Eh? ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-1-1
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

RicknCovington Posted at 2017-1-1 12:49
My tree climbing buddy came to the rescue and got it down.  Other than a broke propeller tip, it seems to work fine.  I took it home and let it dry out for a day before I even put a battery in it and turned it on again.  Other than still questioning the range, (only made it out to @800ft today before started to loose signal again), it operates pretty nicely.

Good to hear you got the unit back. I would be hesitant with flying a unit that's had any water damage, though.
2017-1-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules