Samsung S7 Runs Extremely Hot
1488 13 2016-12-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Skyhawk
lvl.1

Australia

Hi All,

Yep I am a newby to the Mavic and just wanted to see if anyone else is using a Samsung S7 with their controller? My S7 is getting extremely hot after only a few minutes use and I am a bit concerned about how this will affect the phone and obviously battery consumption.

I am also flying in a very hot environment, ambient air temps are above 40C or 110F and with direct sunlight on the Mavic it's body gets very hot to the touch. I live in the Red Centre of Australia and it is searing heat here during the summer months, well from October through tilll April. Kind of concerned how this will affect the longevity of the Mavic.

2016-12-29
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Philippines

One reason for the heat could be that the phone is fast charging off the RC. This seems to happen only on certain Android phones. I have the S7 and discovered that it fast charges when plugged into the RC, with another side effect being that the RC's battery would drain very quickly. However, if you use the bottom USB port of the RC, the phone doesn't seem to fast charge from it, so now I always fly using the bottom USB port (making sure to disconnect the special USB cable from the side port). However, I only noticed the other night that there's an option in the S7's battery settings to disable fast charging. I haven't tested this yet, but in theory it should stop the S7 from draining the RC's remote, even when using the side USB port.
2016-12-29
Use props
Skyhawk
lvl.1

United States

Jason Lane Posted at 2016-12-29 06:22
One reason for the heat could be that the phone is fast charging off the RC. This seems to happen only on certain Android phones. I have the S7 and discovered that it fast charges when plugged into the RC, with another side effect being that the RC's battery would drain very quickly. However, if you use the bottom USB port of the RC, the phone doesn't seem to fast charge from it, so now I always fly using the bottom USB port (making sure to disconnect the special USB cable from the side port). However, I only noticed the other night that there's an option in the S7's battery settings to disable fast charging. I haven't tested this yet, but in theory it should stop the S7 from draining the RC's remote, even when using the side USB port.

Thanks for the info on the fast charging of the S7 I will check it out tomorrow when I take the Mavic out for a spin.
2016-12-29
Use props
fansf0572733
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2098566 ft
United States

Duh! Any devices will run hot at 110 degrees temp!!
2016-12-29
Use props
Skyhawk
lvl.1

United States

fansf0572733 Posted at 2016-12-29 18:41
Duh! Any devices will run hot at 110 degrees temp!!

Sorry my phone doesn't run red hot here whilst using it not attached to the RC so that blows that theory out of the water.

2016-12-29
Use props
Jan0175
lvl.1

Indonesia

MY Samsung S7 Edge never run red hot as yours , I live in Indonesia with high humidity..Try using extended usb cable directly into RC's usb port, close all background apps including auto update service and see if it works
2016-12-29
Use props
Logger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2883714 ft
Australia

Skyhawk Posted at 2016-12-29 21:50
Sorry my phone doesn't run red hot here whilst using it not attached to the RC so that blows that theory out of the water.

No it doesn't. I doubt you routinely leave your phones screen on full bright for 25 minutes straight while standing in full sunlight in 40C Alice Springs heat though. If you do and it does not get hot, I would be very  surprised.

That aside, did you think to shut down all other apps before starting your Mavic session. I have an S7 edge and I always hit the Close all apps button as the last thing before placing it in the RC. . My theory being the less background apps the less load on the phone, less change of hiccups.
2016-12-29
Use props
Skyhawk
lvl.1

United States

Logger Posted at 2016-12-29 22:07
No it doesn't. I doubt you routinely leave your phones screen on full bright for 25 minutes straight while standing in full sunlight in 40C Alice Springs heat though. If you do and it does not get hot, I would be very  surprised.

I take your point but I do regularly run at full screen brightness in full sun conditions here. I think the suggestion of fast charging is probably the answer and I will check it when I get home.

My S7 gets red hot after a about 4 minutes of use connected to the RC, I don't use any other apps on the phone I really only use it as a phone, the DJI app is the only app I have loaded on it besides the stuff that Samsung stick on it which I never use.
2016-12-29
Use props
Skyhawk
lvl.1

United States

Jan0175 Posted at 2016-12-29 22:02
MY Samsung S7 Edge never run red hot as yours , I live in Indonesia with high humidity..Try using extended usb cable directly into RC's usb port, close all background apps including auto update service and see if it works

I will give it a go, thanks.
2016-12-29
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Philippines

Skyhawk Posted at 2016-12-29 18:28
Thanks for the info on the fast charging of the S7 I will check it out tomorrow when I take the Mavic out for a spin.

BTW, I tried disabling the Fast Charging option on my S7 today, but it didn't seem to prevent the phone from quickly discharging the RC. I'm sticking with using the bottom USB port.
2016-12-30
Use props
Laroba
lvl.1
Flight distance : 99583 ft
France

FYI, you problem could be due to the firmware and DJI Go version
I also have a S7, and before the laste upgrade, my S7 was fast charging as soon as it was connected to the controller.
Now i'm in the lastest firmware and DJI Go 4  version, and my S7 no longer charges when connected to the controller > this is better for the controller battery life ;)
2016-12-30
Use props
fansf0572733
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2098566 ft
United States

I have the best solution to your issue. it's called common sense.
2016-12-30
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Root your phone. Then look in the play store and download disable usb charging app.
2016-12-30
Use props
Skyhawk
lvl.1

Australia

Jason Lane Posted at 2016-12-30 06:28
BTW, I tried disabling the Fast Charging option on my S7 today, but it didn't seem to prevent the phone from quickly discharging the RC. I'm sticking with using the bottom USB port.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.
2016-12-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules