o(^-^)o
CineView Media
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5365522 ft
  • >>>
Norway

I consider no questions regarding the manual as stupid, so therefore,

"Stopping the Motors
                                                                                                                                                                                               There are two methods to stop the motors.
Method 1: When Phantom 4 Pro / Pro+ has landed, push the left stick down , then conduct the same CSC that was used to start the motors, as described above . Motors will stop immediately. Release both sticks once motors stop.
Method 2: When the aircraft has landed, push and hold the left stick down. The motors will stop after three seconds."

Is the Phantom inteligent enough to tell if its in air or on the ground when using Method 2?
On descend i often pull the left stick down continously...

2016-12-30
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The designers are very clever - of course the Phantom can tell whether it is flying or has landed.
It has a lot of different sensors.
Pulling the left stick down is the normal way of descending.
2016-12-30
Use props
ProQuad
lvl.4
Flight distance : 20296870 ft
  • >>>
United States

The motors will not stop if you use #2.  I do this quit often and have never had any issues.
2016-12-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Yes the Mavic knows when it's on the ground you just need to hold left stick down for 3 seconds. The IMU reads that the aircraft is unable to move any further, and after three seconds it determines that is has officially landed and can shut off the motors safely.
2016-12-30
Use props
Ange1walk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 30305 ft
Austria

Yep, as stated, if the Aircraft doesn't recognize and further Descent within 3 seconds while the Left stick is pushed 100% down, it will stop the Motors.
2016-12-30
Use props
CineView Media
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Thanks fellas, i assumed that, only wanted to hear it from others
2016-12-30
Use props
marctronixx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 210118 ft
  • >>>
United States

purely an academic question here...

so in theory, if one grabs/catches the sUAV in his or her hand up in the air, thereby preventing the sUAV from descending any further, will this "fool" the sensors in thinking the sUAV is on the ground when the CSC call to turn off motors is recognized by the sUAV?

again purely academic.. just curious...
2016-12-30
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

marctronixx Posted at 2016-12-30 14:20

so in theory, if one grabs/catches the sUAV in his or her hand up in the air, thereby preventing the sUAV from descending any further, will this "fool" the sensors in thinking the sUAV is on the ground when the CSC call to turn off motors is recognized by the sUAV?

This is what all the hand-catchers do all the time - not just in theory.
When you hold the left stick down, the Phantom will descend until it can not descend any more.
If you hold the Phantom steady and level for 3 seconds, with the left stick down, the motors will stop.
2016-12-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

marctronixx Posted at 2016-12-30 14:20

It's an interesting question when you catch aircraft and use left stick down 3 seconds IMU decides aircraft is unable to move any further so it's safe for you to shut down the motors, I presume it would be the same if it was locked stuck up a tree, although in that case emergency motor shutdown could be used.
2016-12-30
Use props
Hendo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 104495 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

I hand catch mine 90% of the time. Once you grab a leg and push left (if in mode 2) stick down, the motors sort of "splutter" a bit for a few seconds, which I assume is the sensors double checking that there is truely no more vertical and horizontal movement, and then the motors stop.
2016-12-30
Use props
CineView Media
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Hendo Posted at 2016-12-30 14:51
I hand catch mine 90% of the time. Once you grab a leg and push left (if in mode 2) stick down, the motors sort of "splutter" a bit for a few seconds, which I assume is the sensors double checking that there is truely no more vertical and horizontal movement, and then the motors stop.

True, i do the same.
2016-12-30
Use props
marctronixx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 210118 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hendo Posted at 2016-12-30 14:51

ahh hahhh... sensei! this answers perfectly and describes what I would ASSUme the system would do!

cheers gents!
2016-12-31
Use props
Rob8888
lvl.2
New Zealand

So what about:
I was flying off a boat in a 2 metre swell 2 days back.  I had someone catch it and I COULDN'T shut it down with left stick down (sensors off).  The swell clearly confused it.  It was going 'full noise' trying to save itself and the only solution was to carefully take it off the volunteer and use the power button.  Not very elegant and dangerous.
2nd flight the volunteer caught it and I tried both sticks down to centre.  It worked. Whether this was the two sticks, or we hit a smooth sea swell patch I'm not 100% sure.

So yesterday in a very strong wind I landed on ground and thought I'd try the two sticks down as it seems to be quicker (after the boat experience). Outcome was that it touched down, jumped up and rolled over.

Any thoughts?
Thanks, Rob

2016-12-31
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Rob8888 Posted at 2016-12-31 19:43
So what about:
I was flying off a boat in a 2 metre swell 2 days back.  I had someone catch it and I COULDN'T shut it down with left stick down (sensors off).  The swell clearly confused it.  It was going 'full noise' trying to save itself and the only solution was to carefully take it off the volunteer and use the power button.  Not very elegant and dangerous.
2nd flight the volunteer caught it and I tried both sticks down to centre.  It worked. Whether this was the two sticks, or we hit a smooth sea swell patch I'm not 100% sure.

Simple .. The Phantom has to be held steady and level for 3 seconds, with the left stick down, the motors will stop.
Try it out in the open somewhere and let the Phantom just wobble a little in your grip and it doesn't stop.
The sensors detected the boat's movement.
2016-12-31
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

CineView Media Posted at 2016-12-30 06:28
Thanks fellas, i assumed that, only wanted to hear it from others

The onboard flight SIM Can be utilized for a variety of test scenarios.
Works great on a rainy day, and as an easy method to deplete your intelligent flight battery packs.

RedHotPoker
2016-12-31
Use props
Rob8888
lvl.2
New Zealand

Labroides Posted at 2016-12-31 20:19
Simple .. The Phantom has to be held steady and level for 3 seconds, with the left stick down, the motors will stop.
Try it out in the open somewhere and let the Phantom just wobble a little in your grip and it doesn't stop.
The sensors detected the boat's movement.

So, what would you do to land on a boat that's going up and down several metres? I'm not sure I have a viable and safe solution yet?
2017-1-1
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Rob8888 Posted at 2017-1-1 00:57
So, what would you do to land on a boat that's going up and down several metres? I'm not sure I have a viable and safe solution yet?

If the person hand catching has a good grip on the aircraft, then I would suggest a CSC, both sticks down and centred. But that's the only time to use that manouvre on landing. As you found out, if you do that when landing normally on steady ground, it will flip the aircraft over. That is quitre normal and why it is not recommended.
2017-1-1
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Rob8888 Posted at 2017-1-1 00:57

Or ... the catcher has his thumb on the battery switch and can switch off there - better if they have had a bit of practice.
2017-1-1
Use props
Rob8888
lvl.2
New Zealand

Geebax Posted at 2017-1-1 01:10
If the person hand catching has a good grip on the aircraft, then I would suggest a CSC, both sticks down and centred. But that's the only time to use that manouvre on landing. As you found out, if you do that when landing normally on steady ground, it will flip the aircraft over. That is quitre normal and why it is not recommended.

Many thanks, I'm understanding better. Just hope to remember it when next needed.
2017-1-1
Use props
ErC...
lvl.2
Hong Kong

yeah, I always worried it will kill the engine in mid flight... haha
2017-1-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules